POLE: What were your College Graduation/Other Milestone Parental Gifts?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!

What were your College Graduation/Other Milestone Parental Gifts? (please elaborate below)

Life Affirming Trip (with parental units)
17%
Life Affirming Trip (Solo)
11%
Fun Trip (solo, duh)
11%
Car/Truck/Motorbike
6%
Modz for current Car/Truck/Motorbike
No votes
Luxury Items (engraved watch, golden anal beads etc)
6%
Body Art
No votes
Cold Hard Cash me ousside
28%
Hot Soft Sex (i.e. High Class Hookers)
6%
Toaster
17%

Total votes: 18
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Solo trip or cash. Time to be an adult. I wish I would have done it.

DON’T DO DOWN PAYMENT FOR HOUSE.
brain go brrrrrr
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:42 pm My dad co-signed on some loans for me during school, let me live at his :haus: for free after graduation until I got a real job, and helped me to get some interviews to get that job.
that's cold breh.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

i'd vote for trip, hookers will be something he can afford from time to time, while travel is not. imo. Take him to Cancun or something. I know a few all inclusive hotels that are good and most importantly safe.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

4zilch wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:32 am I didn't get much for college graduation, but I did enter the work force immediately after, so I'm sure I got some walking around money and some furniture for my new place.

Cash is always king in my book, but a foreign trip would be cool IF it's something he's interested in.
Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:36 am High school: Parents helped cover some of the cost of my first car, needed for college internships
College: Stocks and bonds

I like the trip idea.
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:36 am Solo trip or cash. Time to be an adult. I wish I would have done it.

Thanks guys..... yeah, I am definitely going to float the trip idea....... Cash would be spent on his car..... stocks/bonds are definitely the most adult gift but I feel it would be pretty meh for him at least initially....
Last edited by Irish on Fri May 03, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish

Detroit wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:47 am When I was a Jr. in college, I got rid of my Grand Am that kept breaking down and got a cheap lease on a Scion tC (I thought it was cool, still do :stfu: ) IIRC it was $200/mo, but I wanted something reliable to get me around since I was working multiple jobs around the Lansing area.

I had a ~a year left on the lease at graduation, and my parents offered to pay that last year as a "gift" so I didn't have to worry about transportation as I started out in the workforce. It helped me get to interviews then eventually get to and from work reliably. Taking that concern out of the equation was nice, and not worrying about a car payment my first year in the real world made life easier.

Jr won't like it, but when starting out in life, nothing is more valuable than reliable transportation. You can't no-show an interview because your car broke down, and in your first job, you can't call in because the airbag broke on your hooptie VW and you're stranded at home. First impressions are critical, and solid reliable transportation is part of that.
Thanks Chris..... you've definitely given me some food for thought...... cash earmarked for a down payment on an appliance is now an option......
Irish

Melon wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:08 am Also, congrats Irish, what's he getting a degree in?
Thanks mang, I am very proud of him. He had a serious case of ADHD growing up, so much so that there were a few years in grade school where he was close to being left back a grade. But he eventually adapted. Degree: Business Administration with a minor in Economics.
Last edited by Irish on Fri May 03, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

For college: I got cash from a variety of family totaling around $1200. My mom framed my diploma and my dad got me a 40" flat screen tv. I was also living in a different city so I was mostly out of the house.

I think getting him what he actually wants or the money for it is totally fine. I got some sick ramz for winning a competition my mom wanted me to do in high school. So pretty much a bribe. Double edged sword was having to buy the lo pro 18" sport tires on my own dollar with out much income later.

For highschool I got a dope cruise with buddy and his family to mexico/cozumel/belize.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Irish wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:44 am
Detroit wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:47 am When I was a Jr. in college, I got rid of my Grand Am that kept breaking down and got a cheap lease on a Scion tC (I thought it was cool, still do :stfu: ) IIRC it was $200/mo, but I wanted something reliable to get me around since I was working multiple jobs around the Lansing area.

I had a ~a year left on the lease at graduation, and my parents offered to pay that last year as a "gift" so I didn't have to worry about transportation as I started out in the workforce. It helped me get to interviews then eventually get to and from work reliably. Taking that concern out of the equation was nice, and not worrying about a car payment my first year in the real world made life easier.

Jr won't like it, but when starting out in life, nothing is more valuable than reliable transportation. You can't no-show an interview because your car broke down, and in your first job, you can't call in because the airbag broke on your hooptie VW and you're stranded at home. First impressions are critical, and solid reliable transportation is part of that.
Thanks Chris..... you've definitely given me some food for thought...... cash earmarked for a down payment on an appliance is now an option......
Could even consider paying a year of a lease. My parents somehow paid off Toyota Financial so I could drive and not even worry about payments other than insurance. It's the monthly cash that's tough when you're starting out and have to balance rent, food, utilities, etc, etc, etc.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Irish

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:13 am i'd vote for trip, hookers will be something he can afford from time to time, while travel is not. imo. Take him to Cancun or something. I know a few all inclusive hotels that are good and most importantly safe.
Yeah, I am going to offer him trip options.....ultimately his choice...... hooker pole choice was a joke mang.... somehow I just don't think his Mom unit would sign off on that.... :lol:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Irish wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:41 am
4zilch wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:32 am I didn't get much for college graduation, but I did enter the work force immediately after, so I'm sure I got some walking around money and some furniture for my new place.

Cash is always king in my book, but a foreign trip would be cool IF it's something he's interested in.
Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:36 am High school: Parents helped cover some of the cost of my first car, needed for college internships
College: Stocks and bonds

I like the trip idea.
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:36 am Solo trip or cash. Time to be an adult. I wish I would have done it.

Thanks guys..... yeah, I am definitely going to float the trip idea....... Cash would be spent on his car..... stocks/bonds are definitely the most adult gift but I feel it would be pretty meh for him at least initially....
Well if you think he's just going to blow it on air bags for the MK4, I'd really not give him cash. In that case I'd do the cheap lease thing. A reliable car is paramount when you're first entering the workforce, something he doesn't know yet.

Stocks / mutual funds are nice because it's a bit of a pain to sell them and collect the moolah. But can be a nice investment egg for an eventual house down payment. IDK how bonds are doing right now, but the annoying thing with those is the 30 year maturity timeframe so maybe skip them. Guaranteed he doesn't understand more complex investment right now, and likely won't for a few years, so doing something like that could be real nice.
Irish

dubshow wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:50 am For college: I got cash from a variety of family totaling around $1200. My mom framed my diploma and my dad got me a 40" flat screen tv. I was also living in a different city so I was mostly out of the house.

I think getting him what he actually wants or the money for it is totally fine. I got some sick ramz for winning a competition my mom wanted me to do in high school. So pretty much a bribe. Double edged sword was having to buy the lo pro 18" sport tires on my own dollar with out much income later.

For highschool I got a dope cruise with buddy and his family to mexico/cozumel/belize.
I do too actually..... this is a congratulatory gift and my hopes are its something that he will remember fondly for a long time to come....

Its a shame that his gf is a year behind him..... because if she were graduating with him, I might try to coordinate with her parents on sending them both to some unforgettable someplace...... of course that's not without its risks.....a break up during the trip would ruin everything and would make it wasted money...... Still, they've been together for a couple of years now and she has been on vacation with us twice...... so :iono:
Irish

Detroit wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:55 am
Irish wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:44 am

Could even consider paying a year of a lease. My parents somehow paid off Toyota Financial so I could drive and not even worry about payments other than insurance. It's the monthly cash that's tough when you're starting out and have to balance rent, food, utilities, etc, etc, etc.
This option is definitely on the table....

PS I like Scion TCs too
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Lisa's parents helped her out with her multi-month trip to New Zealand. The trip helped shape the rest of her life.
Irish

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:21 am
Irish wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:41 am
Well if you think he's just going to blow it on air bags for the MK4, I'd really not give him cash. In that case I'd do the cheap lease thing. A reliable car is paramount when you're first entering the workforce, something he doesn't know yet.

Stocks / mutual funds are nice because it's a bit of a pain to sell them and collect the moolah. But can be a nice investment egg for an eventual house down payment. IDK how bonds are doing right now, but the annoying thing with those is the 30 year maturity timeframe so maybe skip them. Guaranteed he doesn't understand more complex investment right now, and likely won't for a few years, so doing something like that could be real nice.
Yeah, you make good points, Johnny. Will definitely float it as an option.
Irish

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:23 am Lisa's parents helped her out with her multi-month trip to New Zealand. The trip helped shape the rest of her life.
Yes, I love the idea of a trip he will never forget. Its intangible but real. Did a 36 state poverty loop in an RV with gf's family when I was 20. I still think about it with a smile.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:23 am
Detroit wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:55 am
This option is definitely on the table....

PS I like Scion TCs too
I loved my tC. So many fond memories in that thing. :manuel: and I moved from MI To CA in it...amazing space utilization since it was a hatch, great gas mileage, was fun to drive with the torquey (for a 4 banger) 2.0na, double wishboner rear, giant sunroof, was seriously 5/7.

It's sad nobody makes a car like that anymore. Affordable, fun in all the right ways, efficient, and reliable. It was a great "first car".
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Irish wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:23 am This option is definitely on the table....

PS I like Scion TCs too
I loved my tC. So many fond memories in that thing. :manuel: and I moved from MI To CA in it...amazing space utilization since it was a hatch, great gas mileage, was fun to drive with the torquey (for a 4 banger) 2.0na, double wishboner rear, giant sunroof, was seriously 5/7.

It's sad nobody makes a car like that anymore. Affordable, fun in all the right ways, efficient, and reliable. It was a great "first car".
Yaris
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:39 am
Detroit wrote: I loved my tC. So many fond memories in that thing. :manuel: and I moved from MI To CA in it...amazing space utilization since it was a hatch, great gas mileage, was fun to drive with the torquey (for a 4 banger) 2.0na, double wishboner rear, giant sunroof, was seriously 5/7.

Yaris
Yea, good point. The current Yaris is probably pretty much this.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:46 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:39 am Yaris
:notsure: if you meant the Toyota Yaris, why can't he lease a corolla hatch with :manuel: reliable and still somewhat fun to drive compared to most of competition.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:45 pm As some of you may know, Baby Irish is graduating college soon. I would like to mark the occasion with a relatively big ticket (for us) item ($1000-$3000).

He (in true enthusiast fashion) has asked for an airbag suspension for his Mk4. His mother does NOT (ahem) think this is an appropriate graduation worthy gift.

While I agree with her in theory, I know my son.....he will get more enjoyment out of that than anything else we could give him in our budget. That being said. I'd like to offer him some options.

Besides I :wub: you guise and I'm curious about your lives......so color me interested in your milestones, accomplishments and their accoutrements. The more deets the better (Year, milestone, situation, gift, background).

I would also welcome your suggestions.......what should he (I) do?
In the name of the Virgin Mary and all the saints NO. Graduating with a four year degree should come with benefits and burdens. One of the burdens is accepting reality. One such reality is that air suspensions are for flat brimmed hard parkers who, for reasons unknown to us, are also into stretched tires, mad camber yo, and who discount that suspension is to absorb road imperfections and deliver the driver safely from point A to point B, not to attract two lolitas into a threeway at Waterfest. As Chris said, it's time to ditch the Mk. IV and get a job.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Irish

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:46 am
:notsure: if you meant the Toyota Yaris, why can't he lease a corolla hatch with :manuel: reliable and still somewhat fun to drive compared to most of competition.
Anything (reasonably priced) that I offer will be a hard sell...... unless the Mk4 grenades...... he has taken up going to car meets as a hobby and the the somewhat modded GIT gives him the cred to be there..... he wont have that with an appliance...... still, I will likely float the idea of a more dependable car as an option. Hell I might even offer ditch the Z (I hardly ever drive it) and let him garage his baby
Irish

Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:09 pm
Irish wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:45 pm

He (in true enthusiast fashion) has asked for an airbag suspension for his Mk4. His mother does NOT (ahem) think this is an appropriate graduation worthy gift.
In the name of the Virgin Mary and all the saints NO. Graduating with a four year degree should come with benefits and burdens. One of the burdens is accepting reality. One such reality is that air suspensions are for flat brimmed hard parkers who, for reasons unknown to us, are also into stretched tires, mad camber yo, and who discount that suspension is to absorb road imperfections and deliver the driver safely from point A to point B, not to attract two lolitas into a threeway at Waterfest. As Chris said, it's time to ditch the Mk. IV and get a job.
I :lol: at the bolded

In my heart, of course, I know all this to be true......
Last edited by Irish on Fri May 03, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:13 pm I think I got $1000 towards a new car - that I wasted on a Ford Focus hatch with :manuel:

But yeah, don't give him airbags. That's a want, not a need.

Instead, set that MkIV on fire before it self-immolates and send your boy abroad to find some foreign :pussy: - I think a trip abroad would be a wiser spend and give him some valuable life experience and open his horizons a bit.
Yes, I like the idea of the bolded alot.....
Irish

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:31 pm
Irish wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:20 pm
Yes, I like the idea of the bolded alot.....
One thing I truly wish I had done in college was take advantage of the opportunity to study abroad in Rome for a semester.

It's one of my biggest regrets.
Yeah, I can see that...... He mentioned studying abroad a few years ago but we were not in a financial position to make it happen...... by the time we were, he was :aintcare: So we sent our daughter to France and Britain with her French class that year....
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

I wasn't allowed to select more than 3 options..... I've had 3 graduations you know. High school, I got cash. College round 1, I got a Europe trip with dad. College round 2, I have been gifted my Forester (was originally supposed to get me through school then go to my dad to replace his truk but dad doesn't want the Forester because it's not a truk... so I expected to buy the Forester from my parents eventually but now it's a gift)