POLE: What were your College Graduation/Other Milestone Parental Gifts?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!

What were your College Graduation/Other Milestone Parental Gifts? (please elaborate below)

Life Affirming Trip (with parental units)
17%
Life Affirming Trip (Solo)
11%
Fun Trip (solo, duh)
11%
Car/Truck/Motorbike
6%
Modz for current Car/Truck/Motorbike
No votes
Luxury Items (engraved watch, golden anal beads etc)
6%
Body Art
No votes
Cold Hard Cash me ousside
28%
Hot Soft Sex (i.e. High Class Hookers)
6%
Toaster
17%

Total votes: 18
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

As some of you may know, Baby Irish is graduating college soon. I would like to mark the occasion with a relatively big ticket (for us) item ($1000-$3000).

He (in true enthusiast fashion) has asked for an airbag suspension for his Mk4. His mother does NOT (ahem) think this is an appropriate graduation worthy gift.

While I agree with her in theory, I know my son.....he will get more enjoyment out of that than anything else we could give him in our budget. That being said. I'd like to offer him some options.

Besides I :wub: you guise and I'm curious about your lives......so color me interested in your milestones, accomplishments and their accoutrements. The more deets the better (Year, milestone, situation, gift, background).

I would also welcome your suggestions.......what should he (I) do?
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Irish wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:45 pm As some of you may know, Baby Irish is graduating college soon. I would like to mark the occasion with a relatively big ticket (for us) item ($1000-$3000).

He (in true enthusiast fashion) has asked for an airbag suspension for his Mk4. His mother does NOT (ahem) think this is an appropriate graduation worthy gift.

While I agree with her in theory, I know my son.....he will get more enjoyment out of that than anything else we could give him in our budget. That being said. I'd like to offer him some options.

Besides I :wub: you guise and I'm curious about your lives......so color me interested in your milestones, accomplishments and their accoutrements. The more deets the better (Year, milestone, situation, gift, background).

I would also welcome your suggestions.......what should he (I) do?
I got a gift card from my mom from Lowe's to fix my damn house.
I agree that he should get something more along the lines of an adult kind of gift..... like something professional that he's not gonna love, but know he needs. But I also agree that he's gonna get more enjoyment if you aim it more towards something he personally would love.

I'm gonna vote for solo trip... Because it's something I wish I had the money and time for once I finished with school. I was so worried about just working and making a living that I never had the chance to save up anything (I was broke anyways) to actually go and relax for a trip.
At the time I didn't care about traveling, but now that I've been a few places with the wife that are new to both of us I totally appreciate checking new places out and seeing things outside of home. Our Washington D.C. trip was so amazing that we went back a 2nd time to finish seeing all the shit we missed the first time.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

I graduated so long ago I honestly don't remember what I got, but I THINK it was cash so that's how I voted. It's probably what he can most use at this point in his life, no? Then he can do whatever dafuq he wants with it.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Irish

Acid666 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:54 pm
I got a gift card from my mom from Lowe's to fix my damn house.
I agree that he should get something more along the lines of an adult kind of gift..... like something professional that he's not gonna love, but know he needs. But I also agree that he's gonna get more enjoyment if you aim it more towards something he personally would love.

I'm gonna vote for solo trip... Because it's something I wish I had the money and time for once I finished with school. I was so worried about just working and making a living that I never had the chance to save up anything (I was broke anyways) to actually go and relax for a trip.
At the time I didn't care about traveling, but now that I've been a few places with the wife that are new to both of us I totally appreciate checking new places out and seeing things outside of home. Our Washington D.C. trip was so amazing that we went back a 2nd time to finish seeing all the shit we missed the first time.
Yeah....if I decide to go the trip route, I might coordinate with his girlfriends parents because I am not necessarily down with paying her way too......then again he might prefer to with me and/or the wife unit......
Irish

wap wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:00 pm I graduated so long ago I honestly don't remember what I got, but I THINK it was cash so that's how I voted. It's probably what he can most use at this point in his life, no? Then he can do whatever dafuq he wants with it.
Good point, point is good

Then again, attending here was kinda its own reward

;) ;)
Last edited by Irish on Thu May 02, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish

[user not found] wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:05 pm I didn't get any big graduation gifts from my folks. But a trip to a foreign country (his choice and his choice if with you or not), seems like a great way to both reward him and continue his education.
Yeah....HIS CHOICE is key to me ....and I love your point about continued education.....
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I didn't go to college

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut I i think he will learn to appreciate something that will have more staying power in his personal or professional life besides bags.
Irish

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:30 pm I didn't go to college

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut I i think he will learn to appreciate something that will have more staying power in his personal or professional life besides bags.
Me neither.....well, I didn't finish at any rate...... thanks for your thoughts!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

My dad co-signed on some loans for me during school, let me live at his :haus: for free after graduation until I got a real job, and helped me to get some interviews to get that job.
Irish

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:42 pm My dad co-signed on some loans for me during school, let me live at his :haus: for free after graduation until I got a real job, and helped me to get some interviews to get that job.
We did much the same for him and expect he will live with us until he can afford to be self sufficient.....
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I got a low end watch and kicked out of the :haus:

:iono: never was one to get gifts for anything like that. You graduated? Good, that’s what you’re supposed to do.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Apex wrote:I got a low end watch and kicked out of the :haus:

:iono: never was one to get gifts for anything like that. You graduated? Good, that’s what you’re supposed to do.
:dat: is what I was saying. I got a lot more than many people but no specific gift for graduation.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

They were always supportive before, during and after graduation. Monetarily and in other ways like cosigning for loans. I got a gold necklace but didn't really wear it, still tucked away now.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Voted anal beads
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Doxa Dive Watch. Right in your price range. This is a serious Swiss Dive Watch sold direct so no markup for dealers, etc.

http://www.doxawatches.com/DOXA-SUB-collection.html

Beautiful watch that can last a lifetime. Made famous by Clive Cussler novels.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Graduating high school I wanted to buy a PA system to help put on local shows. Parents paid for a part of that.

Graduating college I was wanting to get into photography and parents paid for some of my Nikon DSLR. Don’t remember if that was for undergrad or MBA. Don’t think there were two presents. We never had much, so a few hundred towards something nice that I wanted meant a lot to me.
Irish

Tarspin wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:59 pm Voted anal beads
:lol: I'd scar him/myself for life if I gave him those.....
Irish

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:05 pm Doxa Dive Watch. Right in your price range. This is a serious Swiss Dive Watch sold direct so no markup for dealers, etc.

http://www.doxawatches.com/DOXA-SUB-collection.html

Beautiful watch that can last a lifetime. Made famous by Clive Cussler novels.
Wow, those are beautiful.
Irish

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:21 pm Graduating high school I wanted to buy a PA system to help put on local shows. Parents paid for a part of that.

Graduating college I was wanting to get into photography and parents paid for some of my Nikon DSLR. Don’t remember if that was for undergrad or MBA. Don’t think there were two presents. We never had much, so a few hundred towards something nice that I wanted meant a lot to me.
Cool. Yeah I grew up truly middle class......but the old man took an early retirement when I was 14 and that effectively put us into relative poverty......i mean we never went hungry or anything but there was little money beyond essentials........

I know the air bags are, on the face of it, a :derp: gift....... but its really in the eye of the beholder.......its something he really really wants and it will likely be a long ass time before he could afford it himself.......

You remembered the PA system and the photog equipment...because they had meaning to YOU.......what it cost was immaterial ..........
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Tarspin wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:58 pm I got a gold necklace but didn't really wear it, still tucked away now.
The only gift for a corvette owner. Other than a gift card to the Jordache outlet store
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I didn't get much for college graduation, but I did enter the work force immediately after, so I'm sure I got some walking around money and some furniture for my new place.

Cash is always king in my book, but a foreign trip would be cool IF it's something he's interested in.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

High school: Parents helped cover some of the cost of my first car, needed for college internships
College: Stocks and bonds

I like the trip idea.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

When I was a Jr. in college, I got rid of my Grand Am that kept breaking down and got a cheap lease on a Scion tC (I thought it was cool, still do :stfu: ) IIRC it was $200/mo, but I wanted something reliable to get me around since I was working multiple jobs around the Lansing area.

I had a ~a year left on the lease at graduation, and my parents offered to pay that last year as a "gift" so I didn't have to worry about transportation as I started out in the workforce. It helped me get to interviews then eventually get to and from work reliably. Taking that concern out of the equation was nice, and not worrying about a car payment my first year in the real world made life easier.

Jr won't like it, but when starting out in life, nothing is more valuable than reliable transportation. You can't no-show an interview because your car broke down, and in your first job, you can't call in because the airbag broke on your hooptie VW and you're stranded at home. First impressions are critical, and solid reliable transportation is part of that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I didn't get anything, I think lunch at Don's Seafood after my graduation. :iono:

I had been out of the house for a while by then, so it was NBD.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Also, congrats Irish, what's he getting a degree in?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.