Griff's Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

As I considered making yet another :plac: thread, I figured why not make this more permanent, as :plac: will arise again.

First Post I'll start with a little bit of car history, then on to my current conundrum.

I was always a lover of cars, but it all began with a rather depressing 1993 Ford Taurus when I got my license in 2005 on my 16th birthday. It had over 240K miles and had been in the family since 1995. It wasn't much but I was allowed to use it free from my parents.

Reserved for image.

After about a year and a half in the Taurus, my father agreed to purchase me a 1997 Civic for $3,000 and I paid him back over a year or two. This was my first :manuel: , first adventure into autox, first mods, etc. The Civic was a fun little car at the time - I added Koni yellows and Kein shocks, ITR sway bars, Flowmaster exhaust, Integra seats, decked out car audio, and some other bolt ons. It was fun.

I kept the Civic all through college and towards the end, the transmission was really taking a dump. This is when I decided, in 2011, to buy a long term dream car, the VW GTI. I almost went Mazda MS3 but wound up in a brand new 2012 MK6. I drove this thing for 40k miles, did some more autox, my first track day, trips from NC to Miami, Philly, DC, all kinds of places. I didn't mod the GTI much, just a Unitronic tune, homemade intake, and some 17" wheels with summer rubber.

A little bit into GTI ownership, I decided I needed to try out an NA and bought this turd:
Picture with my dad's Citroen DS for fun (I've driven this car a bunch, it's really interesting):

Well, almost three years into GTI ownership, I got what most here know as "the Bang Bus job" and began traveling about 250 nights+/year. As such, I made the stupid decision to sell the GTI and use the NA while at home, as I was now on the road DDing this (starting in early 2014):

Inside:

Funny enough, I drove that truck more mileage than any other vehicle. Over 90K miles in just under five years, with 48 states and three provinces of Canada visited. It was a 2012 F550 chassis that was totally custom built as a audio console demonstration vehicle... quite the adventure and interesting driving it in places from San Francisco to Manhattan and all kinds of Nathional Parks and off the beaten path destinations along the way.

Back to the personal cars, after about two months with only the Miata requiring three different tows, I decided to bail, sold it for $975 in non running condition after purchasing for $2K. I had it for two years total. At this point, I was looking for something fun and affordable, and I only needed a car on weekends from time to time, as I was rarely home. I had every intention of buying a Pontiac GTO, but ended up impulse buying the C5. This has absolutely been my favorite car. I've driven it 40k miles, tracked it, modded it, fixed it, scraped it, and just loved it. Nothing compares to the V8 rumble, the power and torque, the insane grip.

After sadly leaving the truck life, I decided I "needed" a nicer DD, and in comes the other car I still own today, the 2014 BMW 328i M Sport :manuel:
Last edited by D Griff on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sorry about that photobucket nonsense... old photos that I need to move.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Now onto today... As I've mentioned here quite a bit, maintaining two cars while living in an urban apartment is proving challenging. I have no good place to work on my vehicles and it stresses me out to know they're not getting the quality care they should be. Getting all of the :poorvette: work done at a shop is pricey... so that leads me to the current :plac: debate. My thinking is bringing it down to just one car.

The BMW is very nice, but I've simply never fallen in love with it. It's too refined, German, staid, and just not exciting.

The C5 is by far my favorite car I've owned, but it's 17 years old and scrapes on everything. As most here know, they're a bit tough to live with daily. I only commute 15 miles each way and could do that in it, but it becomes a drag when you want to go to a restaurant, friends house, mountain bike trail, etc. that the car simply can't enter. I'm still struggling with selling the C5 but it's likely gotta happen.

I'm mostly thinking of either a Hype R, STi (Johnny P's), or FoRS. That said, I am tempted to just get a nice C6 and DD it. Other considerations are 370Z, and???

Requirements:
:manuel:
Fun on the street and around town
Can be tracked a few times per year without major modifications
Reliable/easy to work on due to apartment life
Mountain bike transport (hitch, roof are both fine with me)
Good exhaust note

Nice to haves:
Rear seats
Decent fuel economy (25+ highway)
Some modicum of comfort for :tits:
No scrape

Nothing is really off the table by default.

Thoughts?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:03 pm Now onto today... As I've mentioned here quite a bit, maintaining two cars while living in an urban apartment is proving challenging. I have no good place to work on my vehicles and it stresses me out to know they're not getting the quality care they should be. Getting all of the :poorvette: work done at a shop is pricey... so that leads me to the current :plac: debate. My thinking is bringing it down to just one car.

The BMW is very nice, but I've simply never fallen in love with it. It's too refined, German, staid, and just not exciting.

The C5 is by far my favorite car I've owned, but it's 17 years old and scrapes on everything. As most here know, they're a bit tough to live with daily. I only commute 15 miles each way and could do that in it, but it becomes a drag when you want to go to a restaurant, friends house, mountain bike trail, etc. that the car simply can't enter. I'm still struggling with selling the C5 but it's likely gotta happen.

I'm mostly thinking of either a Hype R, STi (Johnny P's), or FoRS. That said, I am tempted to just get a nice C6 and DD it. Other considerations are 370Z, and???

Requirements:
Good exhaust note

Nice to haves:
Rear seats
No scrape

Thoughts?
If you are going to type R, why don't you get a VW R? I like the mechanical features of the Honda but...........you look like a SKATRBOI. VW R, 370Z or a very well preserved 2008+ C6. I am anti-Subaru but I haven't driven an STI so I will STFU.

To me a fully optioned but not NISMO Z provides the best value.....they are like $20K. That's what I would do in your situ. Downside is notta lotta storage but you do have another car.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

C6's scrape. So if you really mean "no scrape".......get off the Corvette train.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Just buy a new M2. Throw both cars in for the down payment.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:55 pm Just buy a new M2. Throw both cars in for the down payment.
Nah.

I hate the image of the BMW. It’s stupid I know, but it’s a thing.

Also, I suspect an M2 would still be kind of boring. The BMW is just so refined... meh. Maybe an M2 would be worth driving though, I imagine they come in under $40k used now?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:14 pm C6's scrape. So if you really mean "no scrape".......get off the Corvette train.
How bad do they scrape? Like you have to be careful or it’s unaboidable if you want to go anywhere bad?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:14 pm C6's scrape. So if you really mean "no scrape".......get off the Corvette train.
How bad do they scrape? Like you have to be careful or it’s unaboidable if you want to go anywhere bad?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:13 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:03 pm Now onto today... As I've mentioned here quite a bit, maintaining two cars while living in an urban apartment is proving challenging. I have no good place to work on my vehicles and it stresses me out to know they're not getting the quality care they should be. Getting all of the :poorvette: work done at a shop is pricey... so that leads me to the current :plac: debate. My thinking is bringing it down to just one car.

Requirements:
Good exhaust note

Nice to haves:
Rear seats
No scrape

Thoughts?
If you are going to type R, why don't you get a VW R? I like the mechanical features of the Honda but...........you look like a SKATRBOI. VW R, 370Z or a very well preserved 2008+ C6. I am anti-Subaru but I haven't driven an STI so I will STFU.

To me a fully optioned but not NISMO Z provides the best value.....they are like $20K. That's what I would do in your situ. Downside is notta lotta storage but you do have another car.
I guess I should drive a Golf R, they just feel really boring to me. The reason the C5 has been my favorite car is that it’s so visceral.

The Z def makes a lot of sense.

I’ve also always hated Subarus but it is really the best thing in this case I think.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:55 pm Just buy a new M2. Throw both cars in for the down payment.
Nah.

Also, I suspect an M2 would still be kind of boring. The BMW is just so refined... meh. Maybe an M2 would be worth driving though, I imagine they come in under $40k used now?
I guess that means the Poorsche is out too. Sounds like you're in C6 territory. Go for a grand sport and don't lower it. It's got a dry sump and fixed calipers stock.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:03 pm
It's not horrific....mine is not lowered. But they have the hanging air dam thing. I'm sure you'd be fine with it you are in wub with your C5. You might want to get a car your woman can drive in a pinch though and I think the scrape is the biggest turnoff for that.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The M2C has some major allure for me. Other than the 420hp engine and the 13 gallon gas tank.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Test drive a bunch of stuff. CarMax is great for this they don’t care how many of the cars you drive and usually have a bunch on the lot.

You’ll know if you like the STI within 5 mins of driving it. 2018+ models got better door seals, thicker glass, and revised suspensions.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote:Test drive a bunch of stuff. CarMax is great for this they don’t care how many of the cars you drive and usually have a bunch on the lot.

You’ll know if you like the STI within 5 mins of driving it. 2018+ models got better door seals, thicker glass, and revised suspensions.
That they did. I swear, the 2018 I drove, even on 19s, rode every bit as comfortably as my GTI. Even with a muffler delete it was totally DD-able.

Still want another one. :rage:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:41 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:23 pm

The M2C has some major allure for me. Other than the 420hp engine and the 13 gallon gas tank.
13 gallon tank is a major letdown.

That's like, the same size tank as a MINI Cooper.
And several current MQB VW's, 13.2 gallons. :jalepenis: :disappoint:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
wap wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:32 pm And several current MQB VW's, 13.2 gallons. :jalepenis: :disappoint:
Yeah, so just imagine that with more than double the horsepower and half the fuel economy.
Doesn't an M2 do ok on the highway? :iono:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:48 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Yeah, so just imagine that with more than double the horsepower and half the fuel economy.
Doesn't an M2 do ok on the highway? :iono:
Yeah, if you can keep your foot out of it.

If.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:41 pm
wap wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:32 pm

And several current MQB VW's, 13.2 gallons. :jalepenis: :disappoint:
:megusta: :megusta: :megusta:
Johnny_P

A friend of mine owns an M2. He loves the damn thing. I have not ridden in it.

He's owned some fun cars in the past including an R32.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I've spent a good portion of my adult life consolidating and expanding the fleet. I know you're feels living in an apartment and dealing with multiple car :bs: is annoying. But I'll warn you that I've found it's a never ending cycle...

"I'm sick of two cars, time to get one to do it all..."

"This one car solution is a bunch of compromises, I want something more fun and focused..."

"This one car solution is a bunch of compromises, I want something more fun and focused..."

And round and round the :plac: cycle it goes.

The only way I've personally been able to stave off the cycle is just to commit to 2 vehicles. Corvette is approaching 5 years of ownershit (a record), and the :truk: sitch is forced due to leasing. I actually have zero interest in :plac: right now. The thought is actually more :disgust: than anything...dealing with selling cars BLOWS.

I can also admit that my access to garages has made the situation much more livable. BUT, you should really try your best to think long term if possible. If you know you're going to end up buying a house with a garage in a few years, you should really consider how to make things work with the current fleet. Judging by the current C5 market, you're going to have to sell your car for way less than its worth to you...all so you can get into another compromise and be :| ? The car's simply not worth that much to be super motivated to sell it.

No sports car the level of a Corvette will get you to MTB and hiking trails wherever you want...it's just not what that thing does. I don't think you could go down to a one sports car situation, at least I never could despite my many efforts over the years. I had a fucking roof rack on my 951 to transport my MTB...driving that thing down fire roads and dirt roads to get to trails blew.

You should consider replacing the BMW with a 2-door JK Wrangler.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:47 am I've spent a good portion of my adult life consolidating and expanding the fleet. I know you're feels living in an apartment and dealing with multiple car :bs: is annoying. But I'll warn you that I've found it's a never ending cycle...

The only way I've personally been able to stave off the cycle is just to commit to 2 vehicles. Corvette is approaching 5 years of ownershit (a record), and the :truk: sitch is forced due to leasing. I actually have zero interest in :plac: right now. The thought is actually more :disgust: than anything...dealing with selling cars BLOWS.

I can also admit that my access to garages has made the situation much more livable. BUT, you should really try your best to think long term if possible. If you know you're going to end up buying a house with a garage in a few years, you should really consider how to make things work with the current fleet. Judging by the current C5 market, you're going to have to sell your car for way less than its worth to you...all so you can get into another compromise and be :| ? The car's simply not worth that much to be super motivated to sell it.

No sports car the level of a Corvette will get you to MTB and hiking trails wherever you want...it's just not what that thing does. I don't think you could go down to a one sports car situation, at least I never could despite my many efforts over the years. I had a fucking roof rack on my 951 to transport my MTB...driving that thing down fire roads and dirt roads to get to trails blew.

:word:

Honestly I've been second guessing and thinking about this quite a bit... the main reason - I keep coming back to the C6 as what I want, and by the time I go GS or something good, it's going to cost what the BMW + C5 cost, or nearly... at that point it's kind of :butwhy:

I think the wedding planning hanging over my head, travel, work, it's been a lot lately, have been stressing me out from a time/money perspective, but the reality is that money wise we are very fortunate and doing just fine. Time will be a bit better over the summer as I won't be playing tuba in two ensembles - I have a three month break from that. I guess I need to take a step back and think about what I really care about, because currently I have the following hobbies:
-working out (this is like 6+ hours/week
-mountain biking
-cars
-music
-travel

All of this plus work plus wedding is just stupid from a time/money perspective.

I drove the C5 in today and it is just so fun. I think that I'll be :sad: if I off the thing and just always want another Corvette. Nothing else is like it (i.e. cheap, fast as hell, awesome chassis/grip, amazing sound).

I think I'll test drive some of the "all arounders" like the STi, FoRS, Hype R and see if they're anywhere close in fun levels for me and see how I feel.

I think with $1500 in mods the BMW would also be a lot better, but that is also :fullretard: :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:08 pm
D Griff wrote:
Nah.

I guess that means the Poorsche is out too. Sounds like you're in C6 territory. Go for a grand sport and don't lower it. It's got a dry sump and fixed calipers stock.
A Porsche is a thing that seems like a big :nope: for apartment living unless one is OK with :dillerman: rape, which I am not.

Also, yeah :iono: , the image thing is silly but man, I've gotten enough comments from family already a bout a $21k BMW.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:03 pm

It's not horrific....mine is not lowered. But they have the hanging air dam thing. I'm sure you'd be fine with it you are in wub with your C5. You might want to get a car your woman can drive in a pinch though and I think the scrape is the biggest turnoff for that.
This is true, she will :manuel: in the 328i if required but drove the :poorvette: once and :nope: out for life :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:16 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:47 am I've spent a good portion of my adult life consolidating and expanding the fleet. I know you're feels living in an apartment and dealing with multiple car :bs: is annoying. But I'll warn you that I've found it's a never ending cycle...

:word:

Honestly I've been second guessing and thinking about this quite a bit... the main reason - I keep coming back to the C6 as what I want, and by the time I go GS or something good, it's going to cost what the BMW + C5 cost, or nearly... at that point it's kind of :butwhy:

I think the wedding planning hanging over my head, travel, work, it's been a lot lately, have been stressing me out from a time/money perspective, but the reality is that money wise we are very fortunate and doing just fine. Time will be a bit better over the summer as I won't be playing tuba in two ensembles - I have a three month break from that. I guess I need to take a step back and think about what I really care about, because currently I have the following hobbies:
-working out (this is like 6+ hours/week
-mountain biking
-cars
-music
-travel

All of this plus work plus wedding is just stupid from a time/money perspective.

I drove the C5 in today and it is just so fun. I think that I'll be :sad: if I off the thing and just always want another Corvette. Nothing else is like it (i.e. cheap, fast as hell, awesome chassis/grip, amazing sound).

I think I'll test drive some of the "all arounders" like the STi, FoRS, Hype R and see if they're anywhere close in fun levels for me and see how I feel.

I think with $1500 in mods the BMW would also be a lot better, but that is also :fullretard: :lolol:
Dude.

:gtfo: with the car thoughts and focus on the other parts of your life. You'll end up making a stupid rash decision that you end up regretting, and financially you'll blow more money than necessary swapping shit around (I did this when I sold the 951 to get married and spiraled with a bunch of stupid car decisions). I really think your best (and cheapest) bet is to hunker down, do nothing, and enjoy the other aspects of your life that you need to focus on right now. Wedding planning can be fun dude...so can the other life things. Lay off the #trackday bro a bit this summer because something has to give, and just enjoy the :poorvette: on the street during the :fuckyeah: time in your life. Your current situation isn't ruining you financially, so just chill and reassess when things settle down next year sometime.

The C5 is the most fun for the dollar. Period. The values are dropping to the point where if you own one like we do, the best thing to do is just drive the fuck out of it and have fun. I've driven C6GS's, and while they're certainly fun, they're not triple the fun of a C5 for the cost. Since the BMW is so cheap, you've got reliable comfortable transport if the C5 needs a break. That's the best of all worlds.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.