Personal Finance

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Since I am moving to San Antonio next week, I was looking at switching banks for my checking & savings account since San Antonio does not have any PNC B&M banks. I can do mobile banking with them, but I'd also like the ability to get stuff notarized and the benefits of a B&M bank.

That being said, do you have any preferences on:

1. mobile banking (Chime, etc.)
2. Brick & mortar banking (Chase, Wells Fargo, etc.)

Just exploring options. I have an Ally online savings account and that works very well for me.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

All B&M banks blow, pick the one with the most geographic locations. BoA or Chase IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:44 am Fwiw - My bank has 0 locations. I've used it for 20+ years with no issue even before mobile banking.
I suppose ATM network would matter then. As long as there is a good network of zero fee ATMs everything else can be done online
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

Fidelity reimburses all ATM fees anywhere. Which is nice. HOWEVER, it caps the amount you can take out in a day at $1k. Need to buy something cash on short notice? You're SOL without a B&M bank. It's the only reason we keep an account with BoA.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:16 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:11 am

I suppose ATM network would matter then. As long as there is a good network of zero fee ATMs everything else can be done online
Yup. My credit union reimburses up to $25 in ATM fees a month so that offsets it and I also use almost zero cash.
I work for a credit union but i am hard pressed to open an account with them for reasons that I believe in separation of personal and professional information as much as possible
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:51 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:48 am

I work for a credit union but i am hard pressed to open an account with them for reasons that I believe in separation of personal and professional information as much as possible
I think that's very smart. There are many options though.
Imagine I open an account with the competing credit union. Holy :triggered:

Yeah I’ll look around and see my options. I hear great things about USAA but I don’t know if that’s open to public AFAIK it’s military and their families.

:iono:

I’ll probably do a checking account with a B&M so I have a safety net and go from there. Who knows. Moneys not even real anymore. All digital
razr390

DP
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Here's how I have it set up, which is :wrong:

Direct deposit goes to TD Bank, B&M bank checking acct.
-Free ATM withdrawls and reimbursement for other bank ATM fees, usually worth about $20 a month, significant IMO
-Earns minimal (laughable) interest
-No fees if you keep whatever the minimum balance in it is

Auto transfer $XXX to a Capital One savings account bi-weekly or in line with paychecks
-It takes 3 days or so to get money out of it so keep that in mind
-Separation is good in this case, the transfer is initiated by Capital One, so if my wallet gets stolen and cards are in the wrong hands, they cannot transfer any money from savings into checking.
-I carry no plastic for this account. It's all online fake money.
-Transfers same day as paycheck mean you never "see" the funds in your checking

Various other auto transfers as you see fit.
-From capital one I have a few CDs that are easy to initiate
-Also have a money market acct that has the bulk of my funds in it
-Transfers to/from my TD Ameritrade (used to be Scottrade :disappoint: ) happen through Capital One savings acct

I really like the separation of the checking and savings, and that there's no way for funds to get stolen from my savings. For a B&M, find one that reimburses ATM fees from competitors, that should be the priority over any hilariously useless interest you'll get from one. To be honest, I don't go to the B&M bank really ever. I like that I can, just in case.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:50 am All B&M banks blow, pick the one with the most geographic locations. BoA or Chase IMO.
:triggered:
Apex

If you must use a B&M, stick to a community bank or credit union. I'd stay away from the giants; BoA, Wells, Chase, etc.

Online is easiest doe, I have my checking at my Bank but savings/other stuff goes to a credit union. Completely separate aside from the auto-transfers to the CU. If you need to get a lot of cash quickly, call your bank and have them up your ATM limit. It would suck to carry around $5k in $20s, but it would be doable. You may need to hit a couple different machines (they have their own limits as well).
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:20 am If you must use a B&M, stick to a community bank or credit union. I'd stay away from the giants; BoA, Wells, Chase, etc.

Online is easiest doe, I have my checking at my Bank but savings/other stuff goes to a credit union. Completely separate aside from the auto-transfers to the CU. If you need to get a lot of cash quickly, call your bank and have them up your ATM limit. It would suck to carry around $5k in $20s, but it would be doable. You may need to hit a couple different machines (they have their own limits as well).
What's wrong with the giants just for easy access to cash?

We live in MI. When my dad bought his CTS-V, we walked into a Chase branch right by the dudes house and left with a casheir's check as if we went to our local branch. That convenience for access to money is fantastic.

When I bought the :pinshit: camper for $2k, we went to a local ATM to get cash with my fidelity card. Capped at $1k. A BoA branch was right across the street and open, so we walked in and got the entire amount in cash no problem.

Viewed solely as a place to get easy access to cash, I fail to see how the giants are bad.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:37 am
Apex wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:20 am If you must use a B&M, stick to a community bank or credit union. I'd stay away from the giants; BoA, Wells, Chase, etc.

We live in MI. When my dad bought his CTS-V, we walked into a Chase branch right by the dudes house and left with a casheir's check as if we went to our local branch. That convenience for access to money is fantastic.

When I bought the :pinshit: camper for $2k, we went to a local ATM to get cash with my fidelity card. Capped at $1k. A BoA branch was right across the street and open, so we walked in and got the entire amount in cash no problem.

Viewed solely as a place to get easy access to cash, I fail to see how the giants are bad.
If it's not a main account where you might need decent service, then they are great because they are massive and like you said you can walk into a branch anywhere in the country.

I don't like them because I kick their ass every day in proposals. Just the competitive nature in me.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Apex wrote:
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:37 am What's wrong with the giants just for easy access to cash?

If it's not a main account where you might need decent service, then they are great because they are massive and like you said you can walk into a branch anywhere in the country.

I don't like them because I kick their ass every day in proposals. Just the competitive nature in me.
You don't kick their ass when you are only open 9-4 M-F and are tens if not hundreds of miles away, with little to no online presence, etc. The idea of "better" service from a tiny business in general is a myth. You get different service, not necessarily better.

Schwab answers the phone 24/7, reimburses all ATM fees worldwide, and overnights checks/documents all for free with almost no minimum balance or activity requirements - that's service I can actually use. Our local KY bank was garbage in comparison. Our local Corning CU is also garbage in comparison.
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:51 am
Apex wrote:

You don't kick their ass when you are only open 9-4 M-F and are tens if not hundreds of miles away, with little to no online presence, etc. The idea of "better" service from a tiny business in general is a myth. You get different service, not necessarily better.

Schwab answers the phone 24/7, reimburses all ATM fees worldwide, and overnights checks/documents all for free with almost no minimum balance or activity requirements - that's service I can actually use. Our local KY bank was garbage in comparison. Our local Corning CU is also garbage in comparison.
Cool, compare my bank that you know nothing about to your experiences in KY and upstate NY.
razr390

:popcorn:
troyguitar

Apex wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:51 am You don't kick their ass when you are only open 9-4 M-F and are tens if not hundreds of miles away, with little to no online presence, etc. The idea of "better" service from a tiny business in general is a myth. You get different service, not necessarily better.

Cool, compare my bank that you know nothing about to your experiences in KY and upstate NY.
#NotAllLocalBanks

You're the exception? Cool. What good does that do for people who live more than 2 miles from you, i.e. the whole forum?
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:45 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:37 am

99% of my banking isn't done with BoA. Like everyone else, most of my banking is online (I'm with Fidelity that's similar to :mahtroy: 's Schwab experience), I've got a separate online savings account with Ally, then keep BoA around when I need access to branches.

I'm not really sure what "service" I need from my bank. I don't get loans (mortgage was through a friend at Quicken), I just need fast access to my money in various forms with minimal hassle and inconvenience.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
Apex wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:45 am If it's not a main account where you might need decent service, then they are great because they are massive and like you said you can walk into a branch anywhere in the country.

99% of my banking isn't done with BoA. Like everyone else, most of my banking is online (I'm with Fidelity that's similar to :mahtroy: 's Schwab experience), I've got a separate online savings account with Ally, then keep BoA around when I need access to branches.

I'm not really sure what "service" I need from my bank. I don't get loans (mortgage was through a friend at Quicken), I just need fast access to my money in various forms with minimal hassle and inconvenience.
You're getting your ass kicked on proposals, bro. You could have like 4 wives by now... :alpo:
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:59 am
Apex wrote:
#NotAllLocalBanks

You're the exception? Cool. What good does that do for people who live more than 2 miles from you, i.e. the whole forum?
Why do you think I don't sell to anyone on this forum then? I've offered advice and some mortgage assistance to people when asked.

There are very few needs to go to a B&M location, especially in this digitally connected world.

Is my bank an exception? I wouldn't necessarily say so, but we are unique and service absolutely sets us apart from other banks. You probably don't believe it, but we do have people answering calls and emails 24/7; locations open 9-9, no fees, ATM rebates, we hand deliver documents and will pick them up from you at your convenience if you don't have a convenient overnight location.

:wrong:
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:01 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:45 am

Fraud is the first thing that comes to mind when someone asks what service their bank can provide. Someone to walk you through the process of getting your funds back and ways to protect your account or open a new one if necessary.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:07 pm Troy is salty today
:excited:
Apex

:nevermind:
troyguitar

Apex wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:59 am #NotAllLocalBanks

Why do you think I don't sell to anyone on this forum then? I've offered advice and some mortgage assistance to people when asked.

There are very few needs to go to a B&M location, especially in this digitally connected world.

Is my bank an exception? I wouldn't necessarily say so, but we are unique and service absolutely sets us apart from other banks. You probably don't believe it, but we do have people answering calls and emails 24/7; locations open 9-9, no fees, ATM rebates, we hand deliver documents and will pick them up from you at your convenience if you don't have a convenient overnight location.

That's full :unicorn: status. I've never even heard of a bank open that late one day a week, let alone every day.

We could probably get to your bank more often than any bank in Corning if it's under a 4 hour drive. Leave at 5, make it in before 9... :fullretard:

What's it require/cost to get service like that?
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:26 pm
Apex wrote:

That's full :unicorn: status. I've never even heard of a bank open that late one day a week, let alone every day.

We could probably get to your bank more often than any bank in Corning if it's under a 4 hour drive. Leave at 5, make it in before 9... :fullretard:

Corning to Morristown is like 3.5 hours according to the Google.

It is why we win business from all of the big banks. We have a huge hurdle in that a lot of people have not heard of us, or we are "the bank for the rich people." You're points on that were 100% on point and we fight them every day.

No charge for the service, but we aren't the cheapest for loans and we do charge fees on commercial stuff ie. non-consumer accounts.
troyguitar

Apex wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:26 pm That's full :unicorn: status. I've never even heard of a bank open that late one day a week, let alone every day.

Corning to Morristown is like 3.5 hours according to the Google.

It is why we win business from all of the big banks. We have a huge hurdle in that a lot of people have not heard of us, or we are "the bank for the rich people." You're points on that were 100% on point and we fight them every day.

No charge for the service, but we aren't the cheapest for loans and we do charge fees on commercial stuff ie. non-consumer accounts.
You really are #NotAllLocalBanks

Open a branch up here and in San Antonio and Detroit.