Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:47 pm
While certainly :impressive:

Look at the video? A nice clear sunny day with minimal traffic. That happens in maybe 5% of overall driving in this country.
Yep. I know where it is also. Meh... this is a pos model 3 not some nutty 100k + vehicle
I bet that badge doesn't even light up :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:53 pm

Look at the video? A nice clear sunny day with minimal traffic. That happens in maybe 5% of overall driving in this country.
I got tailgated by a Maxima (its always a fucking Nissan) while driving through South Philly following a CITY BUS this morning with :mahtroy: lady giving me the "guuuuuurl" face. Duck face and all, about a foot from my bumper, visibly slamming her brakes I could see the nose diving. Ugh. People in this country are fuuucking retarded, man. We need tech like this because the general public is incapable of operating these death machines. Auto braking should be the next safety thing to become standard, so it stops this needless horseshit.
The problem is...the worst drivers are the poors that can't afford a fancy new vehicle with these features anyway.

It's great that a Model 3 can do it...but it's still a $60k vehicle. I can't even "afford" a $60k vehicle with how I like to live my life.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Apex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:51 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:47 pm Did anyone post this yet? I can't :member:

2020 outback.

Base engine is the 2.5 NA motor with 182 HP, 176 lb-ft.
Upgrade engine is the 2.4T from the Ascent. 260 HP, 277 lb-ft.
Both are paired to CVTs with torque vectoring AWD

New chasiss, 70% increase in torsional rigidity.
8.7" ground clearance.

11.6" screen has apple car play and android auto, buetooth, satellite radio.
Standard eyesight system includes adaptive cruise control, LKA, lane centering, and a camera that makes sure you're watching the road.

:notbad: except for the camera watching me :fap: :notsure: about that.
Dat green looks nice. :like: No reason to really hate on an Outback, aside from maybe it using a CVT? But :whocares: bout dah when shopping for these.
It’s interesting not that this opinion matters but my dad has one as a rental in port land and hated it. He said it was slow, buzzy, unrefined and when it rained it Sounded like the roof was made of paper and not metal.

I have never heard him hate a vehicle that much.

The new one is much nicer tho
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

That new Outback looks :notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:05 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:51 pm

Dat green looks nice. :like: No reason to really hate on an Outback, aside from maybe it using a CVT? But :whocares: bout dah when shopping for these.
It’s interesting not that this opinion matters but my dad has one as a rental in port land and hated it. He said it was slow, buzzy, unrefined and when it rained it Sounded like the roof was made of paper and not metal.

Interesting feedback from your dad. I haven't spent much time in the newer ones, but the older :manuel: turbro ones were fun.
max225

Apex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:13 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:05 pm

Interesting feedback from your dad. I haven't spent much time in the newer ones, but the older :manuel: turbro ones were fun.
It was that lame ass 2.5 with the continuously vaginal trans. I mean the dude is back to DDing a 410k Mile crown Vic so I’m a bit surprised myself
Apex

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:18 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:13 pm

It was that lame ass 2.5 with the continuously vaginal trans. I mean the dude is back to DDing a 410k Mile crown Vic so I’m a bit surprised myself
:impressive:
Not digging the 300 anymore?
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I got tailgated by a Maxima (its always a fucking Nissan) while driving through South Philly following a CITY BUS this morning with :mahtroy: lady giving me the "guuuuuurl" face. Duck face and all, about a foot from my bumper, visibly slamming her brakes I could see the nose diving. Ugh. People in this country are fuuucking retarded, man. We need tech like this because the general public is incapable of operating these death machines. Auto braking should be the next safety thing to become standard, so it stops this needless horseshit.
OMG this gets me :triggered: Every day on my 45 mile commute...... packs of cars doing 75-85 with less than a car length between them......people tailgating and pushing on a full highway....... :wtf: are people thinking? they are not obviously...... all ettiquette and sense of decorum goes out the window once they strap on 1.5-2 TONS of hurtling machinery.....
max225

Apex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:20 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:18 pm
He really likes it, but I think he is trying to kill the CV. But so far it seems like it will outlive us all. 12k on the oil though... I told him it needs changing and he :aintcare: :disgust:
max225

Wow she could afford a Maxima :impressive: it is usually the Altimas/Sentra with the best demographics known to man. And +1 on the tech. 30,000 people are MURDERED annually via smart drivers. And that number keeps increasing even with all the recent safety tech. We're certainly devolving and it shows in the :math:
Apex

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:26 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:20 pm

He really likes it, but I think he is trying to kill the CV. But so far it seems like it will outlive us all. 12k on the oil though... I told him it needs changing and he :aintcare: :disgust:
That car will outlast the cockroaches. Time for a youtube channel about it.
Apex

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:28 pm

Wow she could afford a Maxima :impressive: it is usually the Altimas/Sentra with the best demographics known to man. And +1 on the tech. 30,000 people are MURDERED annually via smart drivers. And that number keeps increasing even with all the recent safety tech. We're certainly devolving and it shows in the :math:
Tax return season, brah. YOLO.
max225

Apex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:36 pm

I never understood "tax returns" that just means you fucked up and didn't calculate the liability correctly at the beginning of the year and gave the government a "free loan" :disgust:
Apex

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:37 pm

I never understood "tax returns" that just means you fucked up and didn't calculate the liability correctly at the beginning of the year and gave the government a "free loan" :disgust:
You expect too much financial literacy from people. :lol:
Johnny_P

Yeah dude I see the stupid shit every day. I can stand at a street corner near where I live, in a busy business district that's right next to a park and a day care, and watch every. single. vehicle. roll the stop sign, most at 15 or so MPH. People parking in crosswalks NFG so you can't see around their car to tell if a vehicle is trying to go through the intersection. Blatant red light running. Last minute decision to turn onto a street in a giant truck and run over a guy on a bicycle (saw that, :sad: ). Cars ping ponging off parked cars and speeding away (saw that about 4 times now). Cars driving wrong way down a one-way to get to their garage so they don't have to go around the block (daily). And then the plague that is the last minute OH SHIT THAT'S MY EXIT from the left lane cut across 3 lanes of busy traffic last second to exit the highway.

:disgust:

People, in general, don't deserve to drive. I used to be really against automated safety tech until I started to really notice how the general public treats driving and man....
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:41 pm

It's free money, betches. Gotta use that to treat yo self.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:49 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:41 pm

It's free money, betches. Gotta use that to treat yo self.
:dat:
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Lots of people consider it forced savings :doe:
max225

Irish wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:51 pm

Lots of people consider it forced savings :doe:
You can literally increase exemptions in your W4 and call it a day if you're constantly overpaying. If you can't math in todays society you shouldn't be allowed to vote.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Yeah dude I see the stupid shit every day. I can stand at a street corner near where I live, in a busy business district that's right next to a park and a day care, and watch every. single. vehicle. roll the stop sign, most at 15 or so MPH. People parking in crosswalks NFG so you can't see around their car to tell if a vehicle is trying to go through the intersection. Blatant red light running. Last minute decision to turn onto a street in a giant truck and run over a guy on a bicycle (saw that, :sad: ). Cars ping ponging off parked cars and speeding away (saw that about 4 times now). Cars driving wrong way down a one-way to get to their garage so they don't have to go around the block (daily). And then the plague that is the last minute OH SHIT THAT'S MY EXIT from the left lane cut across 3 lanes of busy traffic last second to exit the highway.

People, in general, don't deserve to drive. I used to be really against automated safety tech until I started to really notice how the general public treats driving and man....
Damn, shouldn’t those cars get ticketed? I once squeezed in parallel parking between a car in front of me and a crosswalk, in U st, aka little ghetto thats now like a hipster area. I parked as close as possible to the car in front just to avoid blocking the crosswalk, back of my car only covered a couple inches, and guess what? I got 20$ ticket for it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

$20 ticket :lolgasm:

Our tickets start at $300
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:49 pm $20 ticket :lolgasm:

Our tickets start at $300
Haha yeah, but it was something really either minor or just getting their money, and yep thats capital of America for ya.

Even so, i bet $20 hurt some in philly doe
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Irish wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:08 pm Speaking of CD burning..... in the early 2000's I started following a NOLA band called the Radiators, who were amazing......

They had an open taping policy so dudes would hook up right to the sound board at their shows and up load to the Live Music Archive https://archive.org/details/etree .

We had a email list server that acted similar to a forum, where people (including myself eventually) would offer up "B&P's" . This is short for blanks and postage.

Basically a person would send blank disks and a postage paid return envelope and we would burn the show and send it back.

As a result I have every Radiators show I ever attended (35+) on CD. Which for most bands would be redundant, but these guys never played the same show twice.

33 years, 4410 shows, 1671 songs, 1149 venues, 444 cities, 878 downloads & 582 live audio shows

I was also into torrents for a while and got some amazing bootleg stuff ranging from Beatles, Cream, Eric Clapton, Ray Charles, Allman Brothers, Jimi Hendrix......recording sessions and obscure shows.
Such as...?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

I got caught behind a Fusion on my way to work today who took every single stop as a reason to check his phone, and then be so involved with whatever he was doing that he never noticed the damn traffic moving forward.
Johnny_P

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:51 am

I got caught behind a Fusion on my way to work today who took every single stop as a reason to check his phone, and then be so involved with whatever he was doing that he never noticed the damn traffic moving forward.
I'd be a little less upset about this, because at least he's not moving when he's fucking with it. I got rear ended by a (guess what brand....... DING DING DING IT'S A NISSAN!) Maxima on the highway because the kid was fucking with his phone and didn't see traffic came to a halt and couldn't react fast enough. He was also wearing headphones. While driving.