Raspberry Pi projects.

Gamers gonna game, game, game, game.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

People been talking about this, time for a :bread: in the gaming thread b/c most of these get used for retro gaming stuff. But we can talk picture frames, GPIO's, and robots too

past talk
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:57 am Update on the digital picture frame: The roku app i was using / google updated and now the slideshow would time out after 12 hours. So back to 'plan a' and get a raspberry pi! It looks no different, but its set up and works for a simple slideshow now. I might be able to add some new features in the future. Just need some time to mess with the programs, but for now this simple FEH slideshow works. Got VNC on it to work on it remotely (dont have to take down to play with), and fully networked in so i can just go drop images in the folder over wifi. Runs on boot too!
:neat:

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:59 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:26 pm

Who are you getting the Pi's from?
pulled the :triggered: on a pi that will be a dual purpose plex server and retro gaming console!

the wireless BT controllers are 20% off today
I can post updates to first post upon request.

carry on.
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

That $17 controller idea is :neat:

I wonder how terrible the old games look in 1080p on a big TV... It could be a case of rose colored glasses but I remember enjoying the graphics of SNES and PS1 when they were new.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:55 am That $17 controller idea is :neat:

I wonder how terrible the old games look in 1080p on a big TV... It could be a case of rose colored glasses but I remember enjoying the graphics of SNES and PS1 when they were new.
will report back on this. I mean, its not going to be stellar....it will look like what it looked like on your old skool 18" except 3x as big
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I need to see if a Raspberry Pi can do what I want it to do. I've read things, but don't really know the capabilities. I've got an idea for something and need to dig in to see if that thing is the answer
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

What is this sorcery? Subbed...... to find out.....I mean I read up, but I'm interested to see what you guise do with this.....
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I got many, many ROMs off the torrentz last night
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

im actually really excited to do this pi project.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:35 pm im actually really excited to do this pi project.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Retropi is working, mario was played last night

well i was fucking around with tryin to get the plex stuff to do waht I want but getting ti to boot properly was looking complicated.

In my googling someone was like
:bruh: sd cards are like 10 dollars. just get a different sd card for when you dont want to play retropi
:mindblown:

yea so the extra sd card is on order.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:09 pm Retropi is working, mario was played last night

well i was fucking around with tryin to get the plex stuff to do waht I want but getting ti to boot properly was looking complicated.

In my googling someone was like
:bruh: sd cards are like 10 dollars. just get a different sd card for when you dont want to play retropi
:mindblown:

yea so the extra sd card is on order.
:lolol:

typical :fax: over thinking this fuck out of it.

hopefully you got that fan tight. :trollface:

dis :mahtroy: has 2 thumbs and likes retro games.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Also, I could have GIVEN you a fuckin sd card... I have a pile between go pro and drone
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:11 am I got many, many ROMs off the torrentz last night
All safe? That's my main hold up. I'm 2 steps behind. All the sites I read about are shutdown.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:34 pm Also, I could have GIVEN you a fuckin sd card... I have a pile between go pro and drone
:yeahok:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:59 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:11 am I got many, many ROMs off the torrentz last night
All safe? That's my main hold up. I'm 2 steps behind. All the sites I read about are shutdown.
they all work so far, look clean to me.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:55 am That $17 controller idea is :neat:

NES is terrible, sns is ok depending on the game, only played one n64 game and it looked ok as well.

put it this way: the graphics were good enough, ie just how I remembered them.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

making progress on the raspberryplex. I have some roadblocks to overcome. Keep in mind im testing using vv high bitrate videos, and chromium tabs open.

1. It simply will not transcode these big files on the fly. I guess it doesn't have hardware h264.
2. It will direct stream them fine..most of the time. I guess the network chip is choking? The CPU cycles are essentially idle.

I'll do some digging today during lunch and see if there are some common solutions. Its not uncommon to use these things as always on cobo torrent clients, media servers, and NAS boxes.

I know its common to use KODI with these, but I only messed with kodi once and didnt have alot of success, also unsure how/if kodi will work with the roku.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

ok, update on the raspberryplex.

Transcoding with it is a bad idea, apparently. Not really an issue though as most thing will play direct play over my wired home network :megusta: I just need to see if i can set it up to force, or at least default to, direct stream.

I had some steep learning curve issues getting it to recognize a usb HDD as anything other than read only, a requirement for plex. Fucked up my fstab in the process and had to recover it in the command line.

Got it fixed, got it reading the HDD.

So i ordered my 8tb drive to get this boi set up.

Bonus: YIL (yesterday I learned) that I can manage any local plex media server through any computer on that network. This is great because that means i can for update the 'new' folder for shows easily from my phone! I can use a virtual network app on my phone but I hate using mobile devices and using a mobile device to control a standard desktop.... :nope: for anything except small tasks

Next up will be getting the torrent stuff set up so i can continue to share all the freeware out there. :pftch:

Also bonus: this thing will effectively be a NAS box when I'm done.

this pi stuff really is neat.
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

In for about 2 months from now when your Pi's start collecting dust like my couple units I've had laying around for the last few years.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

What program do you use? I got uTorrent but having issues.

You tried arcade punk?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:10 pm
What program do you use? I got uTorrent but having issues.

You tried arcade punk?
i use utorrent

i did not try arcade punk
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Update on the raspberryplex:

Its running: :fuckyeah:

I got all my stuff on the new drive, the drive mapped on the pi, permission s set, wathed first half of the f1 race this am via the paspberryplex.

I made some progress on the torrent server too. I got deluge installed on both machines, i have the console remoted into the pi, I have part of the proxy set up, but I'm hainv issues getting the RSS feed set up. I think i need to jump into the interface on the pi and do some tweaks.

Also, its working as NAS pretty flawlessly too, which is awesome.

Things left to do:
Get torrent server up and running.
Get it set to static ip (so all these setting dont require tweaks, the local ip is used quite alot)
Get my mirroring remapped to the mainpc over the NAS so I can keep the backup game strong af. I took the opportunity to reorganize files so i need to move stuff around so it fits on 2 or 3 drives. Also going from coping two driver to two other drives, to once drive splitting to 2 or 3 drives.

All in all, good progress.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:34 pm In for about 2 months from now when your Pi's start collecting dust like my couple units I've had laying around for the last few years.
Well the one in the digital picture frame has a very specific task and is on all the time, unless i get up some on/off times to save power. So it will collect dust, while being used that is.

The second one is my plex server / NAS. We watch alot of stuff on plex that i get from places, so it too with gather dust in use.

I do agree the retro pi thing will only get sporadic use at best. But its a simple SD card swap to convert the box from the plex server / NAS to the retropi. But sometimes you just want to play some god daym mario.
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:13 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:34 pm In for about 2 months from now when your Pi's start collecting dust like my couple units I've had laying around for the last few years.
Well the one in the digital picture frame has a very specific task and is on all the time, unless i get up some on/off times to save power. So it will collect dust, while being used that is.

The second one is my plex server / NAS. We watch alot of stuff on plex that i get from places, so it too with gather dust in use.

I do agree the retro pi thing will only get sporadic use at best. But its a simple SD card swap to convert the box from the plex server / NAS to the retropi. But sometimes you just want to play some god daym mario.
My issue is that it is way too slow for my needs to be a server or NAS. Your needs may be less.

Plus, I really hate plex, I tried to like it a few years ago and gave it a good 2 months trial run but would rather run Kodi on my Android TV boxes and stream directly from my NAS boxes. Kodi on the Pi was a disaster if you've ever used it on a machine that has some horsepower.

I found everything Pi to be a compromise due to power or basic functionality, but the picture frame seems like something I would use it for.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:51 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:13 am

My issue is that it is way too slow for my needs to be a server or NAS. Your needs may be less.

Plus, I really hate plex, I tried to like it a few years ago and gave it a good 2 months trial run but would rather run Kodi on my Android TV boxes and stream directly from my NAS boxes. Kodi on the Pi was a disaster if you've ever used it on a machine that has some horsepower.

I found everything Pi to be a compromise due to power or basic functionality, but the picture frame seems like something I would use it for.
I hear that, it definitely lacks the horsepower to be a great NAS or media server if you need transcoding.

It does fit my needs well because its pretty simple, local content using plex to the roku boxes will do passthrough on most of my media so no need to transcode, and I don't really need a fast NAS; i can be vv patient moving big files around.
brain go brrrrrr