Silverware and kitchen knives

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Building a registry. Of course this because why not. What do you have, do you like it, has it been holding up, etc?

I don't need the 30 piece valyrian steel knife set with handmade butcher block carved from petrified whale penis. Just some great everyday use kitchen cutlery and good quality silverware. The last set of silverware I got was a gift from my parents and started to rust in a year. I think it was from crate and barrel.

Nobody in my family or hers will :waxer: on a $4k set of chowder shovels so let's keep it reasonable if possible. Going a little more HAM on the knives I could justify.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

We've had Wusthof classic set for over 20 years now and they've been pretty much flawless in that time. Even put them in the dishwasher all the time NFG.
http://www.wusthof.com/products/classic#/1
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I think we got onedea (sp) silverware. Buy good thick shit from 18-8 stainless. I did the bend test at BB&B on everything we considered to see if it was tough enough for me.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

wap wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:56 pm We've had Wusthof classic set for over 20 years now and they've been pretty much flawless in that time. Even put them in the dishwasher all the time NFG.
+1 for Wusthof - I use this knife multiple times a day. Learn to sharpen it, take care of it and it'll last for decades.

I generally steer people away from knife sets because you end up using about 3 of the 18 knives in the block. Buy a nice chef's knife and a pairing knife and it'll take care of 90% of kitchen duty. Add on a carving and/or filet knife as needed.

In addition to the Wusthof I have the following

A cheap filet knife that I've had since college - likely from the Walmart fishing section

Bread knife that's great for carving roasts and birds too
https://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-Bread-Sli ... way&sr=8-7

Wusthof Pairing Knife
https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Gourmet- ... =8-4-spell

4 piece steak knife set
https://www.amazon.com/Messermeister-Av ... ay&sr=8-55
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:09 am
wap wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:56 pm We've had Wusthof classic set for over 20 years now and they've been pretty much flawless in that time. Even put them in the dishwasher all the time NFG.
+1 for Wusthof - I use this knife multiple times a day. Learn to sharpen it, take care of it and it'll last for decades.

I generally steer people away from knife sets because you end up using about 3 of the 18 knives in the block. Buy a nice chef's knife and a pairing knife and it'll take care of 90% of kitchen duty. Add on a carving and/or filet knife as needed.

A cheap filet knife that I've had since college - likely from the Walmart fishing section

Wusthof Pairing Knife

4 piece steak knife set
+2 for Wusthof. We've had a set of the classic knives for a few years now and they're fantastic.

Amazon has a bunch of different combo sets. We got a 5 piece set that we use every single piece of. Not cheap, but certainly worth it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I have built a set of Shuns that are bad ass. Put a quality electric sharpener on the list, it'll be about $150.

Whatever you do, get a pair of CUTCO kitchen scissors. The best kitchen scissors in the world by a large margin. Had a pair for over 20 years that is as good as the day I bought it.

https://www.cutco.com/products/product. ... per-shears
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

[user not found] wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:00 pm Building a registry. Of course this because why not. What do you have, do you like it, has it been holding up, etc?

I don't need the 30 piece valyrian steel knife set with handmade butcher block carved from petrified whale penis. Just some great everyday use kitchen cutlery and good quality silverware. The last set of silverware I got was a gift from my parents and started to rust in a year. I think it was from crate and barrel.

Nobody in my family or hers will :waxer: on a $4k set of chowder shovels so let's keep it reasonable if possible. Going a little more HAM on the knives I could justify.
Knives - victorinox

Our set was like $250-$300 all in a decade ago and they are still great.
I’ll second this. Brighten them up occasionally with a steel, run them through an eclectic sharpener when the steel isn’t good enough (I’ve done that once or twice in the past 15 years)

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

[user not found] wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:18 pm I’ll second this. Brighten them up occasionally with a steel, run them through an eclectic sharpener when the steel isn’t good enough (I’ve done that once or twice in the past 15 years)

Exactly :dat:
I could change the autocorrect in there...but naw.

:therapist:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'll be interested to see what, if anything is suggested on the silverware front. Our flatware is a little beat up and every time we start looking around for replacements we are confronted by a wall of meh and give up.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:22 pm I'll be interested to see what, if anything is suggested on the silverware front. Our flatware is a little beat up and every time we start looking around for replacements we are confronted by a wall of meh and give up.
Likewise.

We're rocking a set from Target that we got when we moved in together (before marriage :doomed: ), and it's all treated us way better than it should have, but it's probably due to replacement.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Another thing to mention...a good set of steak knives should be added to the registry if you eat steak at home frequently. We have a set of Wusthof knives that we scored at Costco during Christmas maybe 5 years ago or so that have been excellent.
wap

Calvinball wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:39 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Exactly :dat:
I could change the autocorrect in there...but naw.

Who's to say it was a mistake, :doe: ? Maybe your sharpener is ... unusual :iono:
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:26 pm Another thing to mention...a good set of steak knives should be added to the registry if you eat steak at home frequently. We have a set of Wusthof knives that we scored at Costco during Christmas maybe 5 years ago or so that have been excellent.
Agreed.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

wap wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:26 pm Another thing to mention...a good set of steak knives should be added to the registry if you eat steak at home frequently. We have a set of Wusthof knives that we scored at Costco during Christmas maybe 5 years ago or so that have been excellent.
Agreed.
:dat: :wap: should know.... he is the inventor of the effing things......

SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I got some Tramonita steak knives from Costco about 5 years back that I really like.
wap

Irish wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:17 pm
wap wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Agreed.
:dat: :wap: should know.... he is the inventor of the effing things......

:notbad:
:lolol:
Johnny_P

Those are the ones I was looking at
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:37 am I think we got onedea (sp) silverware. Buy good thick shit from 18-8 stainless. I did the bend test at BB&B on everything we considered to see if it was tough enough for me.
Noted. My stuff right now is Walmart specials that are chewed up from too many whirly go round trips in the garbage disposal. They’re all bent like special Olympic runner legs.
Johnny_P

Calvinball wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:18 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Knives - victorinox

Our set was like $250-$300 all in a decade ago and they are still great.
I’ll second this. Brighten them up occasionally with a steel, run them through an eclectic sharpener when the steel isn’t good enough (I’ve done that once or twice in the past 15 years)

I will look into these thanks guys.
Johnny_P

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:09 am

Wusthof Pairing Knife

4 piece steak knife set
I’ll likely request individuals unless there is a magic 3-4 piece set that has all I need in it.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:22 pm I'll be interested to see what, if anything is suggested on the silverware front. Our flatware is a little beat up and every time we start looking around for replacements we are confronted by a wall of meh and give up.
This is how I feel.
Johnny_P

My steak knives now are inoffensive and work fine but yeah I’ll add these to the reg because no reason not to. Something to match the silverware if possible at all.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 pm
This is how I feel.
Let's move this to the baller thread for input.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

We have this stuff, it seems pretty nice. The "butter" knives are strong and sharp enough that I don't own steak knives. If you can't cut it with the butter knife, it's too tough to be worth eating.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorham-Biscayne- ... B0041RMNRG

:wrong:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:55 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:37 am I think we got onedea (sp) silverware. Buy good thick shit from 18-8 stainless. I did the bend test at BB&B on everything we considered to see if it was tough enough for me.
Noted. My stuff right now is Walmart specials that are chewed up from too many whirly go round trips in the garbage disposal. They’re all bent like special Olympic runner legs.
also, whatever you get, put 2 sets on the registry.

1. One set is never enough when you have a party
2. Even if no one buys you the 2nd set everything you put on registry at BB&B is 20% off your first year of marriage..
brain go brrrrrr