Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:03 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:19 pm

Corvette prices are pretty meaningless. Because currently, they have 10-15,000 sitting on the hood. So the MSRP is anything but relevant since it is obviously far more inflated than the transaction price. And the nay sayers will say... well GM DOESN"T HAVE TO DISCOUNT, so MSRP IS MSRP. But the sales volume is WAY down even with this crazy MSRP reduction, so the car is simply not selling in the volumes anticipated or GM is willing to take a margin cut on it.
https://kerbeck.com/
Except for the ZR1, why would anyone want to buy a C7 now when the ME car is obviously on deck?

Even with the 6th year 15% percent discount at 80% of dealers, a new 2019 C7 with 500 miles will be worth 50% of it's MSRP when the ME car comes out. Everyone will pay MSRP or ADM for the first ~18 months of deliveries and most will be customer orders that are presold. Just like the C7 and C7 Z06 in 2014 and 2015. I couldn't get a sub-MSRP deal on my Z07 car order until a November 2016 build date.
Ehhhhhhh, you're an early adopter because you can afford to be. I see a couple years of paying top dollar for the ME C8, nobody knows whether it is going to be all it is cracked up to be, will there be teething problems, and a very deep discount on a Z06 still buys me a TON of car which will continue to remain in the upper percentiles of performance in every area for years to come.....and some like the front engine Super Peen layout.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:06 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:01 pm

Everybody is always apologizing for the condition of their interiors with some sort of comment intimating that the current condition is not

1. indicative of how the interior is usually kept.
2. indicative of their overall cleanliness.

Those are all just horrible lies from the heart of darkness, and everyone, including the speaker, knows it. CLEAN YOUR FUCKING CAR. Not only it is disgusting to ride around in a landfill, it reflects directly on you to your fellow employees, your fking EMPLOYER, prospective mates, fking everyone. It's your basic duty as a human being to keep shit high and tight.....not any different than wiping your ass.
My cars are pretty much like new inside, other than the Jeep and the ZR2 with dust and dirt from off road every so often... And dog hair.

I never eat in the cars and that makes it pretty simple to keep them clean. I see some people's steering wheel and can see the oil from the last food they are while driving and the crumbs in the seat seams.. UGH!
A lot of times it's just fking garbage. Napkins, straws, stained carpets, etc. etc. etc. Women are the worst, really. #comeatmeladies
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:08 pm

Except for the ZR1, why would anyone want to buy a C7 now when the ME car is obviously on deck?

Even with the 6th year 15% percent discount at 80% of dealers, a new 2019 C7 with 500 miles will be worth 50% of it's MSRP when the ME car comes out. Everyone will pay MSRP or ADM for the first ~18 months of deliveries and most will be customer orders that are presold. Just like the C7 and C7 Z06 in 2014 and 2015. I couldn't get a sub-MSRP deal on my Z07 car order until a November 2016 build date.
Ehhhhhhh, you're an early adopter because you can afford to be. I see a couple years of paying top dollar for the ME C8, nobody knows whether it is going to be all it is cracked up to be, will there be teething problems, and a very deep discount on a Z06 still buys me a TON of car which will continue to remain in the upper percentiles of performance in every area for years to come.....and some like the front engine Super Peen layout.
Well, any Z06 you really want to own will be about $100K MSRP, since you don't want a stripper for a car this price. So, low to mid $80K discounted for a new C7 Z06 with options. Then you still have "the old one". Even if you only get the Z51 equivalent ME car for about the same or bit less, it makes sense.

If you were buying new I'm pretty sure you would go for the ME. The people looking for a C7 should be looking for a lightly used Hooters edition from a 70 year old dude buying the ME car. If your going to drive the old one, get a lightly used one and save another $20k because you will want "the new one" in no time when they are out and about and you see them.

When I had my C6 GS I had zero desire for a C7 at launch. Two months later I had seen a few around and my C6 wasn't going to cut it anymore and my order was placed, but at least it was 3 years old at that point and I was okay trading it at that point.

This is the way of the :plac: and we all suffer from this to some degree.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:19 pm

Corvette prices are pretty meaningless. Because currently, they have 10-15,000 sitting on the hood. So the MSRP is anything but relevant since it is obviously far more inflated than the transaction price. And the nay sayers will say... well GM DOESN"T HAVE TO DISCOUNT, so MSRP IS MSRP. But the sales volume is WAY down even with this crazy MSRP reduction, so the car is simply not selling in the volumes anticipated or GM is willing to take a margin cut on it.
https://kerbeck.com/

I would wager that the price gap between the ME car and the C7 is at least 50%. The cheapest ME car will likely be around 70-80k, while you can get a new C7 for 48-49.

Now, who is willing to put up with GM first year shit which will inevitably happen?
Early C5s burned oil
Early C6s were garbage loaded with 4 speed autos
C6Zs pop motors
Early C7s had leaky axles and blew motors too

I am going to go with a big ol FUCK NO on any mid engine Corvette for at least 2 model years.
max225

"early adopter' are the most important customers to the brand #comeatmebro. The early JLs propelled FCA to great success, there were minor limited issues to welds + steering looseness, but overall it has been #impressively reliable, however, I am still of the :wrong: opinion that it is so damn similar to the JK/Rest of FCA lineup that the high reliability is the obvious byproduct of that.

Couple of years past the C8 will no longer be fun, we will be in the middle of the POD revolution (2022+ model years)
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:25 pm

"early adopter' are the most important customers to the brand #comeatmebro. The early JLs propelled FCA to great success, there were minor limited issues to welds + steering looseness, but overall it has been #impressively reliable, however, I am still of the :wrong: opinion that it is so damn similar to the JK/Rest of FCA lineup that the high reliability is the obvious byproduct of that.

Couple of years past the C8 will no longer be fun, we will be in the middle of the POD revolution (2022+ model years)
Ain't no revolution going on in Cincinnati brah.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:28 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:25 pm

No one cares about Cincinnati brah, driving yourself will be equivalent to being Amish.

NY, Austin, Houston, Chicago, SF, Seattle, LA, Austin, Philly, Dallas. Are the cultural centers of the best country on the planet. Usually, the coastal towns excel at almost every metric that determines a cultural centers since their inception as well, THANKS TRAVEL.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:34 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:28 pm

No one cares about Cincinnati brah, driving yourself will be equivalent to being Amish.

NY, Austin, Houston, Chicago, SF, Seattle, LA, Austin, Philly, Dallas. Are the cultural centers of the best country on the planet. Usually, the coastal towns excel at almost every metric that determines a cultural centers since their inception as well, THANKS TRAVEL.
:facepalm:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 pm

I would wager that the price gap between the ME car and the C7 is at least 50%. The cheapest ME car will likely be around 70-80k, while you can get a new C7 for 48-49.

Now, who is willing to put up with GM first year shit which will inevitably happen?
Early C5s burned oil
C6Zs pop motors

I am going to go with a big ol FUCK NO on any mid engine Corvette for at least 2 model years.
Yes, I won't buy a new design ME from Chevy until year 3 or so, that's why I got the 911 now.

That said, I have had good luck with first year cars. My 2014 C7 Z51 was fine other than the slow stereo touch screen, and my JL has been awesome!

I just don't like or trust Chevy right now, and the ME is a big change from what they are used to executing.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The idea of Texans driving around in Pods for any other reason than to avoid a DUI is extremely rich material, Red Leader.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:40 pm The idea of Texans driving around in Pods for any other reason than to avoid a DUI is extremely rich material, Red Leader.
I don't know, with the correct sized steer horns and enough chrome, I could see it.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:45 pm
D Griff wrote:
I mean, mine still looks "great" (nicest interior of any C5 I've been in....), but it requires more work to keep it that way. Most people's interior's are absolutely :disgust: even in less than one year old cars, I hate being in filth in my home, vehicle, or anywhere really. I do prefer stuff that's less work to keep nice though.
My standards aren't that high but people still ask the wife if her car is new or a rental because "it's so clean" - all I do is vacuum it maybe 6x a year and wipe down the rest maybe 2x a year. It ain't Zil-spec.
That's about what I do to my :turboyaris: and it looks just fine.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I feel like this guy is trying to be included in the library of NEEK.

wap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:38 pm

:lolol: I thought the same thing. Might as well throw St Louis, Louisville, and Atlanta in there, too.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:40 pm The idea of Texans driving around in Pods for any other reason than to avoid a DUI is extremely rich material, Red Leader.
I don't know, with the correct sized steer horns and enough chrome, I could see it.
It may be the whisky I'm drinking, but this made me :lolol:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

wap wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:02 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Da more you drink the better I look ...... :sissyfight:
wap

Irish wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:20 pm
wap wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Da more you drink the better I look ...... :sissyfight:
:yesth: :gaydance:
max225

Houston is the most diverse city in America. What’s your point ?
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Early C5s burned oil
C6Zs pop motors

The 2005 C6s had electrical issues. Other than that, they've been fine. The 2006/2007 C6s can be had at a reasonable price because they have the LS2 instead of the LS3.

The LS7's valve issue carried on throughout the Z06's life and into the 5th Gen Z/28. If you possess a modicum of mechanical ability, it isn't a big deal to pop the heads off and swap the valves. As such, the prices for C6Zs is in the 30s. Part of me is tempted to buy one, but that would require ditching the GTO and I much prefer the GTO's uniqueness to the Corvette.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:08 pm

I understand it is a huge metropolis with ocean access, the center of Texas energy concerns, cutting edge medical facilities, and the like. It is also the town zoning forgot, endless sprawling acres of concrete, and the weather is ATROCIOUS. Airboat weather in the concrete jungle. Despite being born there, I have issues with Texas in general, and you would have to pay me epic sums to live there. I understand that a city of over 2 million offers employment opportunities in abundance, but Texas sucks, imho, and is not, in general, what springs to mind when I think "culture."

Just like San Francisco, there is good with the bad, there are operas and symphonies and bums shooting up and crime and and and. Subjectively, Houston is not a desirable location to me, nor is most of the entire state of Texas, Austin and San Antonio excepted.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:37 am
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:08 pm

I understand it is a huge metropolis with ocean access, the center of Texas energy concerns, cutting edge medical facilities, and the like. It is also the town zoning forgot, endless sprawling acres of concrete, and the weather is ATROCIOUS. Airboat weather in the concrete jungle. Despite being born there, I have issues with Texas in general, and you would have to pay me epic sums to live there. I understand that a city of over 2 million offers employment opportunities in abundance, but Texas sucks, imho, and is not, in general, what springs to mind when I think "culture."

Just like San Francisco, there is good with the bad, there are operas and symphonies and bums shooting up and crime and and and. Subjectively, Houston is not a desirable location to me, nor is most of the entire state of Texas, Austin and San Antonio excepted.
Wonder how SA is now. It was growing exceptionally quickly when I lived there in middle school. It's probably a mess anymore and similar to Houston just without the humidity.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:40 pm
Davestr wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:32 pm

:howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu:

:stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu:

:trollface: :trollface: :trollface:
Sorry man, at least here it makes more sense to lease BMWs as long as you negotiate and follow the rules of $0 cap cost reduction and walk out without a "down payment". Get in for the same kind of payment as a purchase with no big down payment and only pay tax on the use... Then GTFO before repairs.
Total truth - just having a bit of fun! :like:
max225

Talking shit about BMWs :fuckyeah:
Talking shit about colorados first :stfu: now :fuckyeah:
Talking shit about Subarus :stfu:
Talking shit about Mazda :stfu:
Talking shit about :turboyaris: :fuckyeah:
Talking shit about :golfr: :stfu:
Talking shit about :povertytruck: first :stfu: now :fuckyeah:

We're an interesting bunch.
Last edited by max225 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:31 pm Talking shit about BMWs :fuckyeah:
Talking shit about Subarus :stfu:
Do you hate puppies, bro?
max225

coogles wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:32 pm