Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: X5, Bison

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:14 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:57 am
If you want to go full :scrooge: there's some Chinese radiators popping up on eBay that people have been using. I personally think there's too much demand on the radiator to take that risk, but that's just me.
So, when it comes to buying radiators, the number of tube rows in the radiator is not nearly as important as the size of the tubes used. For example, comparing a 3-row and 2-row radiator, the 3-row uses .625" tubes and the 2-row uses 1.125" tubes. The 3-row would have a total capacity of 1.875", whereas the 2-row would have 2.25". I've purchased two radiators from AutoCity1958 on eBay. Both are 2-row, and one of them replaced an eBay 3-row on the El Camino that could not effectively keep the 355 cool. Since the swap, I've had no problems.

You can find decent radiators on eBay, but you have to know what size tubes they are using. The majority of the cheaper 3 and 4-row radiators on there are using small tubes that will not perform well.

Other manufacturers that make good radiators are Mishimoto, Ron Davis, Griffin, and ColdCase.
Oh, :notbad:

I'd be more worried about the overall quality...fitment, inlet/outlet placement, quality of welds, etc.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:28 pm:dat:
:wat:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:41 am

So, when it comes to buying radiators, the number of tube rows in the radiator is not nearly as important as the size of the tubes used. For example, comparing a 3-row and 2-row radiator, the 3-row uses .625" tubes and the 2-row uses 1.125" tubes. The 3-row would have a total capacity of 1.875", whereas the 2-row would have 2.25". I've purchased two radiators from AutoCity1958 on eBay. Both are 2-row, and one of them replaced an eBay 3-row on the El Camino that could not effectively keep the 355 cool. Since the swap, I've had no problems.

You can find decent radiators on eBay, but you have to know what size tubes they are using. The majority of the cheaper 3 and 4-row radiators on there are using small tubes that will not perform well.

Other manufacturers that make good radiators are Mishimoto, Ron Davis, Griffin, and ColdCase.

I'd be more worried about the overall quality...fitment, inlet/outlet placement, quality of welds, etc.
:dat:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:09 am :notsure: About Miatas, it looks like roll over protection is required :sad:

This is why I don't have an S2000. I'm not sure if that factory setup counts, I think the NC has similar so that could likely slip by.
This is why [user not found] is looking into adding a rollbar to the :meata:
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:41 am

Fitment has been fine on both the El Camino and Impala. I think I had to enlargen one hole on the Impala's radiator because it bolts to the support and didn't quite line up. A couple minutes with a Dremel and the problem was solved versus spending an extra $200 for an assumption that the higher priced radiator would line up.

As for the welds:
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

About to blow some minds right now!
I'm the new owner of PoorVette/TroyVette. I've continually had my mind blown these last few days since I found this forum. Had the urge tobuy a c5z. At first I was very skeptical about the car. The dealership had absolutely no knowledge on the car at all, except the dealership bought it from a CarMax auction. Has wilwood brakes, audi velvet purple, stainless steel brake lines, poly bushings all the way around, show throw shifter, ATI damper, vararam intake, ridetech shocks, 180 thermostat, Ron Davis radiator, LEDs all the way around, halo taillights, as well as the trans pump still in the fender(super confusing.) The dealership had no clue what the pump was just urged me not to touch the switch. I bought it on 3/6/19 so I've only had it for less than a week. I plan on racing this car autocross, SCCA time trails, and road course racing. Before that, I need to dial the car in. But, in order to do that, I need to know everything that has been done to the car.

Liking ther car more and more as I drive it. Just need to figure out why it's running hot. Also need to track down an oil leak.

Any and all info is appreciated.

Current Pictures below, click links

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5D0FEFA9

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5D1F13C9
ChrisoftheNorth

Purpc5z wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:35 pm About to blow some minds right now!
I'm the new owner of PoorVette/TroyVette. I've continually had my mind blown these last few days since I found this forum. Had the urge tobuy a c5z. At first I was very skeptical about the car. The dealership had absolutely no knowledge on the car at all, except the dealership bought it from a CarMax auction. Has wilwood brakes, audi velvet purple, stainless steel brake lines, poly bushings all the way around, show throw shifter, ATI damper, vararam intake, ridetech shocks, 180 thermostat, Ron Davis radiator, LEDs all the way around, halo taillights, as well as the trans pump still in the fender(super confusing.) The dealership had no clue what the pump was just urged me not to touch the switch. I bought it on 3/6/19 so I've only had it for less than a week. I plan on racing this car autocross, SCCA time trails, and road course racing. Before that, I need to dial the car in. But, in order to do that, I need to know everything that has been done to the car.

Liking ther car more and more as I drive it. Just need to figure out why it's running hot. Also need to track down an oil leak.

:fuckyeah:

So glad you're here. You got a hell of a deal dude. A number of us have C5s all in varying degrees of stock to modified. If we can't answer your C5 questions, there isn't an answer to them.
Apex

:hai:

In4 :mahtroy: :poorvette: update.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Know Ne ting about ol whip?
Apex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:40 pm

Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Know Ne ting about ol whip?
Apex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:40 pm

Apex

Also, how dafuq did you find us? :mahtroy: leave some DFD cards in the glove box or something?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:26 pm Also, how dafuq did you find us? :mahtroy: leave some DFD cards in the glove box or something?
Based on the two pics he posted having someone bending over into the car, I would guess It was a message on the passenger seat that you could only see with a black light.

:jizz:
Apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:32 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:26 pm Also, how dafuq did you find us? :mahtroy: leave some DFD cards in the glove box or something?
Based on the two pics he posted having someone bending over into the car, I would guess It was a message on the passenger seat that you could only see with a black light.

:jizz:
The official ink of DFD.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:mindblown:
Boy did you find the right place. What are the odds?
Paging :mahtroy:
:popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

No fucking way...
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

we need more deets from you! How did you find us? Your car is our banner sake.

:mahtroy: will be in soon enough.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:34 pmNo fucking way...
:dat:

DFD HQ has some serious outreach.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Basically what I did was put the cars vin into google and went through the tabs. There was only 4 google pages, so I just went through each one. One of you guys were talking about the vette and posted a for sale ad that had the vin. I saw that all you guys were talking about troyguitar owning my purple vette. I typed troyguitar into google, saw that he had the same username on a corvette forum. Looked through all the write ups he did there and basically waited to get the approval on here so I could DM on here.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Purpc5z wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:02 pm Basically what I did was put the cars vin into google and went through the tabs. There was only 4 google pages, so I just went through each one. One of you guys were talking about the vette and posted a for sale ad that had the vin. I saw that all you guys were talking about troyguitar owning my purple vette. I typed troyguitar into google, saw that he had the same username on a corvette forum. Looked through all the write ups he did there and basically waited to get the approval on here so I could DM on here.
:notbad:

Did you buy it at the auction or what?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Purpc5z wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:02 pm Basically what I did was put the cars vin into google and went through the tabs. There was only 4 google pages, so I just went through each one. One of you guys were talking about the vette and posted a for sale ad that had the vin. I saw that all you guys were talking about troyguitar owning my purple vette. I typed troyguitar into google, saw that he had the same username on a corvette forum. Looked through all the write ups he did there and basically waited to get the approval on here so I could DM on here.
:impressive:
So you gonna stick around or what?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Nice! Definitely one of the better C5 :dill: out there. I can't wait to see thr progression over your ownership and glad it's back home.
Apex

:amazing:

Stick around, we are an odd bunch, but enjoy new peeps.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: '22 Camry

:amazing: !
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Well done !
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:27 pm
:amazing:

Stick around, we are an odd bunch, but enjoy new peeps.
Yes! Please do stick around. This is a better Corvette Forum than Corvetteforum.