Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:04 pm

I agree, I'd rather just keep the existing one or replace with OEM than get some eBay shit, this is a car for track/fun that gets driven hard, not a bean counting exercise, although I always bean count a bit. The DeWitts is still over $600, not exactly chump change. I guess I'll think about it. I don't really want to connect the oil cooler unless I have to, I think I'll likely be fine with just a better radiator and better air flow. I don't know that I'll track in July/August again anyway and I have no plans to add moar powah.
Ah, didn't know how hardcore you wanted to track it.

You'll be fine with stock cooling if you keep the radiator clean.

And honestly, the radiator isn't hard to change, and you can leave the AC system fully in tact when changing it out, so you might as well just wait. Worst case one of the plastic tanks will crack and it'll start leaking coolant.
I was gonna say :dat:
There's plenty of areas that qualify as "while you're in there" to replace parts, but I don't consider the radiator to be one of them. Getting it out really is not that big of a hassle and can be done at any point. Blowing it out helps a TON with cooling. I noticed it right away when I tap tap tapped mine to get all the rocks out. I think I literally tapped for nearly 10-12 minutes and it was still pouring out.
Last edited by Acid666 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: X5, Bison

Acid666 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:19 pm
Ah, didn't know how hardcore you wanted to track it.

You'll be fine with stock cooling if you keep the radiator clean.

And honestly, the radiator isn't hard to change, and you can leave the AC system fully in tact when changing it out, so you might as well just wait. Worst case one of the plastic tanks will crack and it'll start leaking coolant.
I was gonna say :dat:
There's plenty of areas that qualify as "while you're in there" to replace parts, but I don't consider the radiator to be one of them. Getting it out really is not that big of a hassle and can be done at any point. Blowing it out helps a TON with cooling. I noticed it right away when I tap tap tapped mine to get all the rocks out.
:dat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:word:

Tappity tap is easy and free :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Just dealing with this will help tremendously I'm sure Image
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:22 pm Just dealing with this will help tremendously I'm sure Image
It probably will.

I wonder how the hell that happened?

Tapping the radiator is one thing, but I found removing it entirely and hosing it out got a TON of junk out and made the biggest different. Also free.99 but requires a bit more effort.

My car stays incredibly cool and it's all the stock cooling system.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:25 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:22 pm Just dealing with this will help tremendously I'm sure Image
It probably will.

Tapping the radiator is one thing, but I found removing it entirely and hosing it out got a TON of junk out and made the biggest different. Also free.99 but requires a bit more effort.

Yeah, I think I'll just remove it, watched some vids with all of the :bs: that came out... need to do that.

No idea how the damn condenser got like that... it's been that way always but got way worse recently... very odd.
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:28 pm
It probably will.

Yeah, I think I'll just remove it, watched some vids with all of the :bs: that came out... need to do that.

No idea how the damn condenser got like that... it's been that way always but got way worse recently... very odd.

ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:00 pm

:lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat:
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

It probably will.

I think the Ehrliens in question may have been hiding in the ditch your drove into a while back.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Acid666 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:00 pm

:lolgasm:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:42 pm

I think the Ehrliens in question may have been hiding in the ditch your drove into a while back.
Nah, this has been that way for years, it has gotten worse though, now it's almost touching the radiator, originally, it was just a slight bow.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

OEM condenser is $154, I shall order and just have this place do the job, the whole deal will run me less than $350.

I should really do my rear brakes when I'm done with work in a few, but that sounds :disgust: It is so damn cold outside...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:10 pm New member: Purpc5z.

:poorvette: comes full circle?
I sure as shit hope so. We need moar :poorvette: around here, I'm tired of this place being a CUV apologist's paradise.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:New member: Purpc5z.

:ohdang:

It sure isn't me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I signed up for SCCA Track NIghts of America at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval. I'm pretty excited to blast across those massive banked turns.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:fuckyeah: Fresh :meat:
Hope they introduce themselves soon.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:37 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:19 pm

I sure as shit hope so. We need moar :poorvette: around here, I'm tired of this place being a CUV apologist's paradise.
Everyone needs to invite a person or two.
I've invited a few and they always bail after a short stint :sad: .
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:29 pm I signed up for SCCA Track NIghts of America at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval. I'm pretty excited to blast across those massive banked turns.
When are the dates? Will they have both chicanes?
ChrisoftheNorth

:ohdang: :popcorn:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:29 pm I signed up for SCCA Track NIghts of America at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval. I'm pretty excited to blast across those massive banked turns.
I had the R56 up on dem banks. :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote:
I'm not sure of the exact track map just yet. But they have several nights, I'm signed up for June 6th. There's one in April I can't make, then also July and August. I'll likely do July and/or August as well.
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:05 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:
I'm not sure of the exact track map just yet. But they have several nights, I'm signed up for June 6th. There's one in April I can't make, then also July and August. I'll likely do July and/or August as well.
I've gotten like 6 emails for the next down here at Nola.
I kinda wanna go, but I'm lazy. I'd almost rather than the Meowta and beat it up some.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:notsure: About Miatas, it looks like roll over protection is required :sad:

This is why I don't have an S2000. I'm not sure if that factory setup counts, I think the NC has similar so that could likely slip by.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:57 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:50 am Well, talked to the local AC shop that did my Miata AC (upgraded to the newere r134a or whatever) back when I was going to DD that car :lolol:

$88 to evac and recharge the system... really :notbad:

He also said that they could just replace the condenser for another $80 of labor... I might just do that to save multiple trips and all of that. Additionally, he is willing to replace the radiator for $120 (I can bring my own parts). I'm thinking "while they're in there" and wondering if I should just get a better radiator and be done with cooling problems once and for all. The problem is, the nice radiators are pricey.

Maybe I'll just do the condenser and see how the car cools without the bow.

Any thoughts from the group? :crang:
If you want to go full :scrooge: there's some Chinese radiators popping up on eBay that people have been using. I personally think there's too much demand on the radiator to take that risk, but that's just me.
So, when it comes to buying radiators, the number of tube rows in the radiator is not nearly as important as the size of the tubes used. For example, comparing a 3-row and 2-row radiator, the 3-row uses .625" tubes and the 2-row uses 1.125" tubes. The 3-row would have a total capacity of 1.875", whereas the 2-row would have 2.25". I've purchased two radiators from AutoCity1958 on eBay. Both are 2-row, and one of them replaced an eBay 3-row on the El Camino that could not effectively keep the 355 cool. Since the swap, I've had no problems.

You can find decent radiators on eBay, but you have to know what size tubes they are using. The majority of the cheaper 3 and 4-row radiators on there are using small tubes that will not perform well.

Other manufacturers that make good radiators are Mishimoto, Ron Davis, Griffin, and ColdCase.