Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:26 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:24 pm

That is going to be one hell of a drunken purchase for someone.
:lolgasm:

*knocking on door*

"Who the F is at my house..."

Ohhh....
This had me :lolol: in my cube... :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:27 pm

*knocking on door*

Ohhh....
:fuckyeah:

Now everyone around you thinks you're crazy.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:28 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:27 pm

:fuckyeah:

Now everyone around you thinks you're crazy.
This is nothing new. :lol:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:29 pm Also, Mazda CX-30 revealed in Geneva today:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/05/maz ... er-geneva/

I was surprised to see the CX-_0 naming - I'm led to believe that the next generation of Mazda SUVs will follow this, and the CX-30 will replace the current CX-3 in the US.

Speculation: Current CX-3 will become the CX-20 (and probably leave the US), current CX-5 becomes the CX-50, and current CX9 goes to the CX-90.
When will manufacturers just say fuck it, and make the whole vehicle out of plastic cladding?
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:50 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:46 am
Yes, but the legality of liability and whatnot in this country is super sketchy.
:notwrong:

the lawyers dont care they get paid win or loose right?
:notsure:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:21 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 am

Because they make really shitty products at a high price and their customers are morans to pay for them and be beta testers?
Tell us how you really feel about loosing that drag race to the p100D
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:07 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:50 am

:notwrong:

the lawyers dont care they get paid win or loose right?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:08 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:21 am

Tell us how you really feel about loosing that drag race to the p100D
:pftch:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:18 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:07 pm

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:08 pm

:pftch:
:lolol:
brain go brrrrrr
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:20 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:33 pm

The expectation on Tesla now is to make money. No one is expecting them to be unprofitable anymore. Investors aren’t dumb morons, they waited for the build out of the gigafactory, the expansion of the Fremont plant and the giant network of chargers, 5 years of waiting !All of which were valid excuses for not turning a profit. If they they can’t turn a profit now with everything in place they never will. Which is why I think their stock is suffering now.

retail stores were like physical ad spaces for them. They drew a lot of foot traffic and attention. All of my derpy non car friends have seen a Tesla store and many have been inside. Frankly no one else in the market provided the same experience. It made the car exciting etc, as opposed to the rape palace staffed by underpaid assholes trying to sell you undercoatings and extended warranties while lying to your face. This was a huge loss and big deal for them. They are closing locations that were staffed for 7-8 years here in prime real estate.
I just wonder how much value they add NOW. Most people are familiar with the brand, how much does going into a physical store change that.

You can now buy a car in your living room with your fucking PJ's on and have it brought right to your house. No store needed, talk about game changing.
Personally, I think the stores ad a shit ton of value. Its going to be a monumental loss for them to close them. They had a retail outlet in places where 90% of their target population goes at least 1x a month, reminding them what the car alternatives are compared to what they drive. What other medium would allow you to reach that many customers? This is worth way more than a superbowl ad or any other marketing venture.

This is a hugely troubling move on their part, which is why their stock is dropping. Complete desperation move. They are losing out on sales/customer experience, and it WILL HURT THEIR BRAND. which is enjoying a really high perception at the moment.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:49 pm
I just wonder how much value they add NOW. Most people are familiar with the brand, how much does going into a physical store change that.

You can now buy a car in your living room with your fucking PJ's on and have it brought right to your house. No store needed, talk about game changing.
Personally, I think the stores ad a shit ton of value. Its going to be a monumental loss for them to close them. They had a retail outlet in places where 90% of their target population goes at least 1x a month, reminding them what the car alternatives are compared to what they drive. What other medium would allow you to reach that many customers? This is worth way more than a superbowl ad or any other marketing venture.

This is a hugely troubling move on their part, which is why their stock is dropping. Complete desperation move. They are losing out on sales/customer experience, and it WILL HURT THEIR BRAND. which is enjoying a really high perception at the moment.
As u said - lack of cash related that move is.
max225

Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:24 pm

That is going to be one hell of a drunken purchase for someone.

*knocking on door*

Ohhh....
1. Did someone buy a tesla?
2. Did your neighbors break down ?

:wat: happened ?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:59 pm

*knocking on door*

Ohhh....

This fucking place needs to lighten up. Holy hell.

I was trying to make a joke about someone waking up to a Tesla being delivered that they ordered when :drunk:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:02 pm

This fucking place needs to lighten up. Holy hell.

I was trying to make a joke about someone waking up to a Tesla being delivered that they ordered when :drunk:
:amazing:

I thought you were posting something else. I was :impressed: since I have never seen a :mahtroy: in a tesla.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:Also, Mazda CX-30 revealed in Geneva today:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/05/maz ... er-geneva/

I was surprised to see the CX-_0 naming - I'm led to believe that the next generation of Mazda SUVs will follow this, and the CX-30 will replace the current CX-3 in the US.

Speculation: Current CX-3 will become the CX-20 (and probably leave the US), current CX-5 becomes the CX-50, and current CX9 goes to the CX-90.
What's the story on the Mazderp AWD sysyem, anyway?

Does it add any LSD-style torque vectoring, RWD bias, or anything else interesting for an enthusiast?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:42 pm

airplaneoverhead.gif
:lolol:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

A problem I see with them closing the stores is this:

Have you seen the YouTube videos of people complaining about getting warranty work done on their Tesla's? What happens when you can even interface face to face with someone? Yeah, you go into the Comcast/Dell/DMV hell hole of phone support to only be disconnected or put on hold for days until you hang up.

This isn't a $500 PC, and just like everything else, I'm always looking for the best deal but also the best customer service, hence buying at Amazon or even locally at a brick and mortar... Just in case.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:15 pm

Have you seen the YouTube videos of people complaining about getting warranty work done on their Tesla's? What happens when you can even interface face to face with someone? Yeah, you go into the Comcast/Dell/DMV hell hole of phone support to only be disconnected or put on hold for days until you hang up.

This isn't a $500 PC, and just like everything else, I'm always looking for the best deal but also the best customer service, hence buying at Amazon or even locally at a brick and mortar... Just in case.
Oh, wow. This is an outstanding point.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:46 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:15 pm

I interviewed with Tesla for a service advisor position around the time I interviewed with Porsche.

Their big push was that they had a captive audience and a product nobody else wanted to - or even could - work on, which is good considering a service advisor is traditionally a fully commissioned sales job with minimal (usually no) base pay. Most of the service fixes are done with over the air software updates, and in store fixes would be fit and finish and rattle complaints, and tires and bulbs. Lots of shit work, basically.

I was offered a job on the spot.

Then we talked about pay, and they were thrilled to offer me a compensation package of $22/hr. I then asked what the commission plan was as that was a very high base pay for that position.

“We can go to $22.50 per hour”.

I laughed and thanked them for my time and left. The wife makes $19+ working for Whole Foods.

Tesla are trying to pay about 50-55% of the market value for their staff in those stores, and seeing as in many of these locations they can’t actually SELL cars, the dealership model doesn’t work for the way they want to do business.

They want to sell cars like phones or TVs.

My dealer group has a controlling interest in a very high end body shop that specializes in Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Koeningsegg, etc... and is the only Pagani certified carbon fiber repair facility in the US. Tesla came crawling to them a few years ago and threw a bunch of money for us to be a preferred shop for them. There are currently 30+ Model S and X cars in a storage facility for several months that we are waiting for parts to even start repairs, collecting dust while Tesla covers their customers’ rental car bills and subsidizing their payments while the car is off the road.
ChrisoftheNorth

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:30 pm
I interviewed with Tesla for a service advisor position around the time I interviewed with Porsche.

Their big push was that they had a captive audience and a product nobody else wanted to - or even could - work on, which is good considering a service advisor is traditionally a fully commissioned sales job with minimal (usually no) base pay. Most of the service fixes are done with over the air software updates, and in store fixes would be fit and finish and rattle complaints, and tires and bulbs. Lots of shit work, basically.

Then we talked about pay, and they were thrilled to offer me a compensation package of $22/hr. I then asked what the commission plan was as that was a very high base pay for that position.

I laughed and thanked them for my time and left. The wife makes $19+ working for Whole Foods.

Tesla are trying to pay about 50-55% of the market value for their staff in those stores, and seeing as in many of these locations they can’t actually SELL cars, the dealership model doesn’t work for the way they want to do business.

My dealer group has a controlling interest in a very high end body shop that specializes in Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Koeningsegg, etc... and is the only Pagani certified carbon fiber repair facility in the US. Tesla came crawling to them a few years ago and threw a bunch of money for us to be a preferred shop for them. There are currently 30+ Model S and X cars in a storage facility for several months that we are waiting for parts to even start repairs, collecting dust while Tesla covers their customers’ rental car bills and subsidizing their payments while the car is off the road.
This is exactly what I expected. Wonder what will kill them first...lack of cash or lack of service?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

This pretty much aligns with what I know.

The only difference was that for a SW manager they were actually offering me quite a bit of money for salary and a decent amount of stock. Just couldn't get behind the model at all. Then I got all the word from friends that took the bait and a lot got canned for no good reason.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:06 pm Hoo lawdy.

New Mazda3 just rolled off the truk.

Man is it nice.

Knowing your customers do you think you'll move a significant number of CX30s when they get here?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:41 pm

This is exactly what I expected. Wonder what will kill them first...lack of cash or lack of service?
Salesman sells the first one.

Service sells the rest.
ChrisoftheNorth

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:41 pm

Service sells the rest.
Do you even change the world bro? What terrible vision.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:06 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:46 pm

Service sells the rest.
Do you even change the world bro? What terrible vision.
:hellno:

He just keeps it turning.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:44 pm

This pretty much aligns with what I know.

The only difference was that for a SW manager they were actually offering me quite a bit of money for salary and a decent amount of stock. Just couldn't get behind the model at all. Then I got all the word from friends that took the bait and a lot got canned for no good reason.
Pay is decent at Tesla from what I can tell, but this really matters on the position. They value Hardware and software guys quite high. But they do try to save money where they can. They don't operate like a bay area start up in that sense. A burrito delivery driver here makes 20$ an hr... and Jose at Home depot makes $25 cash to start per hr... or about 100k a year, once you adjust for taxes and free social services that everyone else takes out of their paycheck.
:triggered: