Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:30 am
And to people over there, I live in the arctic.

People will justify anywhere they live as the best and others the worst. It's human nature. Nobody wants to admit they fucked up in moving somewhere. Nowhere is 100% safe, though the upper midwest is pretty close. No hurricanes, no fires, no earthquakes, minimal tornadoe risk, just get some snow and cold in the winter.
Can't disagree, though I think Illinois gets more tornadoes that Meatchicken. And except for those who live near rivers in flood zones, we get relatively little flooding, and certainly rare catastrophic flooding.
Probably :wrong: :doe:
You get sneau which is :disgust: :rage: :fshitup: to a lot of people I guess?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:09 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:47 pm

Can't disagree, though I think Illinois gets more tornadoes that Meatchicken. And except for those who live near rivers in flood zones, we get relatively little flooding, and certainly rare catastrophic flooding.
Probably :wrong: :doe:
We do! :megusta: Got a couple inches on Saturday and 3-4 more overnight last night, with more supposedly tonight then temps plunge to highs in the negative double digits later in the week. :shock:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex

wap wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:15 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:09 pm

We do! :megusta: Got a couple inches on Saturday and 3-4 more overnight last night, with more supposedly tonight then temps plunge to highs in the negative double digits later in the week. :shock:
:shock: Even for me that is a bit chilly...

We've barely had any of the white stuff this year which is :sad:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:30 am
And to people over there, I live in the arctic.

People will justify anywhere they live as the best and others the worst. It's human nature. Nobody wants to admit they fucked up in moving somewhere. Nowhere is 100% safe, though the upper midwest is pretty close. No hurricanes, no fires, no earthquakes, minimal tornadoe risk, just get some snow and cold in the winter.
You forgot about the :salt:

So much :salt:

That being said, there seems to also be a lot of :salt: in the bayou. :sissyfight:
It's from all the dried up seawater deposited by the hurricanes and flooding.
wap

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:19 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:15 pm
:shock: Even for me that is a bit chilly...

We've barely had any of the white stuff this year which is :sad:
Those are the temps where you spit and it freezes almost before it hits the ground.

No snow in winter is indeed :(
wap

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:46 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:23 pm

You forgot about the :salt:

So much :salt:

That being said, there seems to also be a lot of :salt: in the bayou. :sissyfight:
It's from all the dried up seawater deposited by the hurricanes and flooding.
:ohdang:
:hue:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Got a prelim flood insurance quote back. :lolol:

So I need a foundation elevation survey, which the current owner's agent said isn't available. But it pretty much HAS to be available for his current ins policy.

A quote without that survey was $12k / year.

:nope:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Shower update:

Culprit for the hot/cold water temperature swings was a broken center shutoff valve gasket on our 3-handle tub faucet. Replaced that cartridge, it's now rock steady temp wise.

Installed a new shower head, IDK how I feel about it, but it did cut down on flow rate, so the hot tank doesn't just :jizz: it all out in 10 minutes anymore, the hot lasts much longer and doesn't fade during a regular length shower.

Purchased a new water heater, it's in the basement in the box. Maybe this weekend I'll install it. Was too sore/busted up last weekend to do it from all the mountain bike trail work I did the day before. Went 40k BTU instead of the 32k BTU of the O.G. one. so it should recover hot water quicker. 25 years old, can't really ask for more from it...
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:03 pm You boys like cocaine airboat strips?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/16931+M ... 540371!3e0
Dang.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:00 pm
dubshow wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:03 pm You boys like cocaine airboat strips?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/16931+M ... 540371!3e0
Dang.
Fucking "Hoo Shoo Too Rd".

The names must be named that way so the feds don't take it seriously.

Agent: "Boss, fresh intel came in that there's a coke landing strip in airboat land"
Boss: "Excellent! Got a location?"
Agent: PAUSE....PAUSE...
Boss: "Well?"
Agent: "Yessir, it's off Hoo Shoo Too Rd"
Boss: "What the...stop making shit up and get out of my face. Next time do some real work"
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

While riding bikes around, wife and I browsed some houses IRL that ive been stalking.

The last floodville :haus: was a nope. Not sure if I updated but the owner countered my $260k fast close, zero stipulation or money back offer with $293k. Ask was $295. Image :yeahok: for ref he bought house for $154k 1.5 years ago and has MAYBE 75k into it.

So new house that is MASSIVE. Im very :notsure: over all on it. We will either do some reno to our (cheaper option most likely) or continue to browse things. This was 3150 sqft with a 20x20 garage and a 19x20 carport. The house needs a roof IMO, its aged. Has a lot of great reno things done but they totally fucked up the tile install in every room i could see. it looks good in photos but IRL the tiles cast shadows and the grout is done poorly in the master bed. The bathrooms are also fairly pleb for a house in the nearly $300k range. The wife likes the kitchen. I like the already extended garage/shop thing. The outdoor patio area is also nice.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1600 ... lpage=true

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by dubshow on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:15 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Dang.
Fucking "Hoo Shoo Too Rd".

The names must be named that way so the feds don't take it seriously.

Agent: "Boss, fresh intel came in that there's a coke landing strip in airboat land"
Boss: "Excellent! Got a location?"
Agent: PAUSE....PAUSE...
Boss: "Well?"
Agent: "Yessir, it's off Hoo Shoo Too Rd"
Boss: "What the...stop making shit up and get out of my face. Next time do some real work"
did you read the history link I shared on how it was named?
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:07 pm While riding bikes around, wife and I browsed some houses IRL that ive been stalking.

The last floodville :haus: was a nope. Not sure if I updated but the owner countered my $260k fast close, zero stipulation or money back offer with $293k. Ask was $295. Image :yeahok: for ref he bought house for $154k 1.5 years ago and has MAYBE 75k into it.

So new house that is MASSIVE. Im very :notsure: over all on it. We will either do some reno to our (cheaper option most likely) or continue to browse things. This was 3150 sqft with a 20x20 garage and a 19x20 carport. The house needs a roof IMO, its aged. Has a lot of great reno things done but they totally fucked up the tile install in every room i could see. it looks good in photos but IRL the tiles cast shadows and the grout is done poorly in the master bed. The bathrooms are also fairly pleb for a house in the nearly $300k range. The wife likes the kitchen. I like the already extended garage/shop thing. The outdoor patio area is also nice.

ImageImageImageImage
That looks pretty sweet.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

submitted some drawings to get some concrete work done. Lets see how this patio cost shapes up.

:troywax:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Oh how the :plac: turns. Looks like cereal things are shaping up for the massive haus shown above.

Still have to do the fixes to ours with the quickness.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:21 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:07 pm While riding bikes around, wife and I browsed some houses IRL that ive been stalking.

ImageImageImageImage
That looks pretty sweet.
Things are happening! :excited:
Apex

dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:59 am Oh how the :plac: turns. Looks like cereal things are shaping up for the massive haus shown above.

Still have to do the fixes to ours with the quickness.
:popcorn:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:00 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:21 pm

That looks pretty sweet.
Things are happening! :excited:
:fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth

I missed it, why the desire for a giant house? 3k sq ft is massive. A lot to consider for cost of maintenance, heating/cooling, taxes, etc.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:17 am I missed it, why the desire for a giant house? 3k sq ft is massive. A lot to consider for cost of maintenance, heating/cooling, taxes, etc.
equity position. Bank will loan the money on a large house. Large ass kitchen. Large ass pantry. Wife wants those 2 things. Seller dropped the price significantly with our "As-is" offer and statement of work needed (which they knew it needs)

It will always be the "overbuilt" house on the block so $/sqft isnt great but we have way less money to come out of pocket with.

It has a garage space that works for me.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:17 am I missed it, why the desire for a giant house? 3k sq ft is massive. A lot to consider for cost of maintenance, heating/cooling, taxes, etc.
it has a garage and :dubshow: is too :scrooge: to build one onto his current house.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:42 am
it has a garage and :dubshow: is too :scrooge: to build one onto his current house.
Interesting.

You do you. I did the big house thing before and it sucks. I'll never have a house larger than 2.5k.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:46 am

Interesting.

You do you. I did the big house thing before and it sucks. I'll never have a house larger than 2.5k.
That's still a big-ass :haus:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:47 am
Interesting.

That's still a big-ass :haus:
I know it! ours is 2.4k and it's too big, but whatever.

3k sq ft is :fullretard:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Interesting.

I like our well laid out 2k + 650 in the garage. its comfortable but manageable.
brain go brrrrrr