Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:30 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:30 pm Got itImage
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
:jimp:

im going searching for the specs on it.

How do you avoid the front plate in commiefornia?
Specs: https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/ ... sandspecs/

I haven't ever run a front plate in over 30 years of owning cars. I've been asked about it one time during a stop and simply told to make sure I put it on, as it is the law. :iono:

What I do now is this:

1. I keep my cars clean so they look "new".
2. I leave the front window temporary registration sticker on the cars forever.

Because of #2, it seems to me that what happens is that if a cop is coming towards me and sees I have no plate, they look and see the temp tag on the windshield and seem to just keep going, thinking the car is still new and not worth turning around to hassle me.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:47 am

Temp tags.
:dat:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:49 am

I haven't ever run a front plate in over 30 years of owning cars. I've been asked about it one time during a stop and simply told to make sure I put it on, as it is the law. :iono:

What I do now is this:

Because of #2, it seems to me that what happens is that if a cop is coming towards me and sees I have no plate, they look and see the temp tag on the windshield and seem to just keep going, thinking the car is still new and not worth turning around to hassle me.
5/7 working of the system. :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

What I do now is this:

5/7 pro tip here.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:05 am

What I do now is this:

5/7 pro tip here.
I've re-applied many a dealer temp tag after getting windshields replaced. The guys at Safelite always look confused as to why I want to keep the tag from the old windshield.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:02 am If any automaker goes bankrupt because they cand predict market trends based on historical data and analytics of market/economy/etc. then they don’t deserve to be bailed out should they fail. Someone at GM, etc. is making a shit ton of money on data mining and analysis of markets to change the course of their direction as a company and is failing miserably.

That being said, while the trend is moving toward SUV’s and Crossovers, I still think the biggest flaw most manufacturers have is having TOO many models. Toyota has sedans and they sell well because they have a small, medium, large. Enough choice to emulate freedom of choice but hot enough to have people be undecided.

It’s a tricky situation but if they would’ve reacted to market share of sedan sales and repurposed factories for other things they wouldn’t be in this mess.
Um, what?

It was building cars nobody was buying that got OEMs in trouble to begin with. Reading market trends and making the hard decisions like cancelling product because it can drag the bottom line down is what saves companies.

Toyota and Honda cars sell entirely off brand recognition, and even then both companies are plowing a ton of money into crossover development. They see the writing on the wall too. The industry is intensely competitive, and the margin on cars from all OEMs is razor thin...made worse by recent .gov policy decisions that effectively make cars a losing proposition.

Ever look at an old car...like pre-1950's? It's basically a fucking crossover in terms of seating position and ride height. They had to be because roads were horrible. Then the 50's came and we got all these nice fancy paved interstates and roads, so sleeker, lower cars got popular. Now that roads are garbage again, history is just repeating itself.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:09 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:05 am
5/7 pro tip here.
I've re-applied many a dealer temp tag after getting windshields replaced. The guys at Safelite always look confused as to why I want to keep the tag from the old windshield.
:lolol:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

My thoughts on the car industry is that if you need to subsidize loans at low rates to move cars, you probably shouldn't be making that car anymore.

0% for 72 months via the corporate sponsored bank? It should be the last year for that model, or a serious slashing of production numbers. Be like Dodge and sell "brand new" 2013 Vipers in 2017.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote:My thoughts on the car industry is that if you need to subsidize loans at low rates to move cars, you probably shouldn't be making that car anymore.

0% for 72 months via the corporate sponsored bank? It should be the last year for that model, or a serious slashing of production numbers. Be like Dodge and sell "brand new" 2013 Vipers in 2017.
That will be the fate of the Supra. They are pricing it the same as a Corvette. $55k for a 335 hp 6 cylinder sports coupe.

:wtf:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:38 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote:My thoughts on the car industry is that if you need to subsidize loans at low rates to move cars, you probably shouldn't be making that car anymore.

That will be the fate of the Supra. They are pricing it the same as a Corvette. $55k for a 335 hp 6 cylinder sports coupe.

They'll sell like crazy for 6 months. Then they'll follow the same fate as the FRZ.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

oh the exact same reason the first golden era of Japanese sports cars ended....
brain go brrrrrr
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:12 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:56 am

re: bolded, saw a commercial yesterday ( :wtf: i know right? footballs. Go saints) for hunyadi and they had a pic of all their SUV models and there were like 7 :butwhy:
Kia actually call the Soul a small SUV now. They actually advertise it as a "small SUV" with a "lower ride height". It's a fucking hatchback.
That’s marketing bullshit for yeee

Also what about the new mitsu “eclipse” cross :yikes:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:38 am That will be the fate of the Supra. They are pricing it the same as a Corvette. $55k for a 335 hp 6 cylinder sports coupe.

oh the exact same reason the first golden era of Japanese sports cars ended....
:thisisfine:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:17 am It's almost like putting all of your eggs into one basket is a bad plan.

1998: SUVs! We need all teh SUVs!

2008: Fack! Sedans! Errything sedans!

2018: Sumbitch! SUVs! Roll out teh SUVs!

I'd hate for them to figure out that it doesn't need to be a pendulum.
I could not agree even more. In 98, thats when rav4 and crv came out and introduced compact SUV’s. Then it seems like more sedan variants have came out, in particularly BMW’s and Merc’s like the 4 door coupes. And nearly every single fucking manufacturer has a crossover, small or large
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:02 am If any automaker goes bankrupt because they cand predict market trends based on historical data and analytics of market/economy/etc. then they don’t deserve to be bailed out should they fail. Someone at GM, etc. is making a shit ton of money on data mining and analysis of markets to change the course of their direction as a company and is failing miserably.

That being said, while the trend is moving toward SUV’s and Crossovers, I still think the biggest flaw most manufacturers have is having TOO many models. Toyota has sedans and they sell well because they have a small, medium, large. Enough choice to emulate freedom of choice but hot enough to have people be undecided.

It’s a tricky situation but if they would’ve reacted to market share of sedan sales and repurposed factories for other things they wouldn’t be in this mess.
This is true on the last paragraph and accumulating models in manufactureres like no other.

To add, now things like uber and lyft now exists, some millennials and gen z(w/e the current gen is now) are less interested to even get a license or a car, coupled with more that couldn’t afford any new car, generally speaking. Therefore, the demand of getting those “funky” new cars in the lineup like the CH-R and whatnot are not doing as well as rest of the Toyota lineup, why do you think Scion is donezo?

Like in the chevy lineup, the Malibu and Impala look roughly the same as far as the criteria goes. Same story with CUV’s and small cars. Think of it like McDonald’s size options, small minus, small, small plus, medium minus, medium, medium plus, etc. kinda reminds me of this commercial.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

"hello, BMW? Id like to buy your old model m3/4. yes, please include ze warranty. kthxbye."
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

- New Toyota GR SUPRA! | FIRST LOOK
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

https://jalopnik.com/bmw-teamed-with-th ... 1831643819 - Rough it in style! BMW Teamed With The North Face to Make a Tent With Tweels
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:54 pm Thanks guys.

Got the car all setup with regards to Individual mode, and all the audio settings as well as some of the customizable info on the displays.

I'm going to try to get out this morning and get some miles on it since we don't appear to have rain today, but looks like a lot of rain in the next 7 days.

So far, with ~100 miles of seat time I can say that the PDK is amazing, but will require a little bit of a learning/adjustment time to get fully used to it. At low speed, part throttle it feels funky when compared to a standard automatic. Everywhere else this thing is FAST to shift up or down. The software is so refined that often you wouldn't know it shifted up unless you are listening to the exhaust or watching the tach.
Can you describe the low speed behavior a bit more ?
Can you feel the shifts with no throttle input? that's a real issue for me, the car gets really jerky. The upshifts during part/full throttle are perfect, shifts under 20% throttle are slowish and clunky.

Any noises at low speed from clutch engagement/disengagement?
max225

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2586 ... rice-2020/

Interesting read on the 2020 supra... that interior looks low rent... which is a big ol :butwhy: also the pricepoint is 50k... M2 is 55k with way more power and a better interior... and arguably a better badge...

:butwhy: go for a 2020 supra... So :notsure: about this whole thing. Where is it in the market ? Who would go for a supra over a 240i which is cheaper... or m2 which is better performing... It slots in between those two models IMO/

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:50 pm Can you describe the low speed behavior a bit more ?
At low speed you can sometimes tell that it is working the clutches by the feel. With very little throttle in standard mode it will shift from 1->2 quickly and you can feel it in that scenario.
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:50 pmCan you feel the shifts with no throttle input? that's a real issue for me, the car gets really jerky. The upshifts during part/full throttle are perfect, shifts under 20% throttle are slowish and clunky.
I haven't really noticed that, except when you're doing a very slow roll-away like mentioned above.
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:50 pmAny noises at low speed from clutch engagement/disengagement?
So far, I have had no noises in this car at all, which is very nice.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2586 ... rice-2020/

Interesting read on the 2020 supra... that interior looks low rent... which is a big ol :butwhy: also the pricepoint is 50k... M2 is 55k with way more power and a better interior... and arguably a better badge...

:butwhy: go for a 2020 supra... So :notsure: about this whole thing. Where is it in the market ? Who would go for a supra over a 240i which is cheaper... or m2 which is better performing... It slots in between those two models IMO/

Why is a Toyota being compared to any BMW? The competition is 370Z, Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, Miata/Fiata, and to a lesser extent Kia Stinger.

It's not a Lexus.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:54 pm https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2586 ... rice-2020/

You realize the Supra is a rebadged Z4? :lolgasm:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:59 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:50 pm Can you describe the low speed behavior a bit more ?
At low speed you can sometimes tell that it is working the clutches by the feel. With very little throttle in standard mode it will shift from 1->2 quickly and you can feel it in that scenario.
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:50 pmCan you feel the shifts with no throttle input? that's a real issue for me, the car gets really jerky. The upshifts during part/full throttle are perfect, shifts under 20% throttle are slowish and clunky.
I haven't really noticed that, except when you're doing a very slow roll-away like mentioned above.
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:50 pmAny noises at low speed from clutch engagement/disengagement?
So far, I have had no noises in this car at all, which is very nice.
Interesting, would love to hear more about this. PDK performance in :derp: mode, obviously :fullretard: mode it will be epic. I am sure the PDK has a ton of different modes also that makes quite a difference.
max225

razr390 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:02 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:54 pm https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2586 ... rice-2020/

You realize the Supra is a rebadged Z4? :lolgasm:
Last I checked the Z4 is not a coupe but the rest of the Camisa rant makes sense...

I am so confused as to who will buy this car... and why