The Mudcave: Overlanding/offroad chat.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:57 pm
SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:43 pm

Don't have my rope yet, but I have prime 100% ikea grade string we can use.
Just make sure you have a rear recovery point. Pics show you have hooks up front.

[user not found] and I have straps if we need them.

I have rear hook
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:03 pm
SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:26 pm

I have rear hook
You've got a rear limited slip, ja?
Eh, according to google it is not default, therefore I most likely don't have it. According to my mopar site, i have conventional front wheel differential...
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

LSD :fuckyeah:
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:57 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:32 pm

I thought the AT tires meant you got the LSD.

What's your VIN?
You've got the LSD. Dueler AT tires = LSD.

Looked up your window sticker:

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT (May Replace Standard Equipment)
Customer Preferred Package 24S $3,200
17–Inch x 7.5–Inch Tech Silver Aluminum Wheels
Air Conditioning
Power Windows with Front One–Touch–Down Feature
Speed Sensitive Power Locks
Power Heated Mirrors
Remote Keyless Entry
Security Alarm
Sun Visors with Illuminated Vanity Mirrors
Automatic Headlamps
Leather–Wrapped Steering Wheel
Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows
8–Speed Automatic Transmission $2,000
3rd Generation Dana® Solid Rear Axle
Hill Descent Control
Tip Start
Anti–Spin Differential Rear Axle $595
3rd Generation Dana® 44 HD Rear Axle

SiriusXM® Sat Radio w/ 1–Yr Radio Subscription $295
245/75R17 All–Terrain Tires
AH. Sweet, thanks. I couldn't find the email with the sticker and was going off stock descriptions. good to know i have a slighlty lower chance of getting stuck
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:09 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:57 pm

You've got the LSD. Dueler AT tires = LSD.

Looked up your window sticker:

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT (May Replace Standard Equipment)
Customer Preferred Package 24S $3,200
17–Inch x 7.5–Inch Tech Silver Aluminum Wheels
Air Conditioning
Power Windows with Front One–Touch–Down Feature
Speed Sensitive Power Locks
Power Heated Mirrors
Remote Keyless Entry
Security Alarm
Sun Visors with Illuminated Vanity Mirrors
Automatic Headlamps
Leather–Wrapped Steering Wheel
Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows
8–Speed Automatic Transmission $2,000
3rd Generation Dana® Solid Rear Axle
Hill Descent Control
Tip Start
Anti–Spin Differential Rear Axle $595
3rd Generation Dana® 44 HD Rear Axle

SiriusXM® Sat Radio w/ 1–Yr Radio Subscription $295
245/75R17 All–Terrain Tires
AH. Sweet, thanks. I couldn't find the email with the sticker and was going off stock descriptions. good to know i have a slighlty lower chance of getting stuck
Rear LSD is solid. You'll be fine for exploring.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Hype thanks guys, good to have people who know stuff to learn this from. I am excited to enter this world
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Roof top tents don't make sense to me. You set it up, and it takes less time than a tent whatever sure, but it's attached to your vehicle and you've gotta cart it around all the time. So if you want to go somewhere, drive to a trailhead or something, you have to pack down your whole campsite just to go? With a tent or trailer you can leave your whole camp intact and just go, come back at the end of the day, no? What am I missing here?

RTT I guess makes sense if you're just on the move and not going to spend multiple days at one spot?
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:01 pm Roof top tents don't make sense to me. You set it up, and it takes less time than a tent whatever sure, but it's attached to your vehicle and you've gotta cart it around all the time. So if you want to go somewhere, drive to a trailhead or something, you have to pack down your whole campsite just to go? With a tent or trailer you can leave your whole camp intact and just go, come back at the end of the day, no? What am I missing here?

RTT I guess makes sense if you're just on the move and not going to spend multiple days at one spot?
Yeah I really like the idea of them, but just doesn’t seem like it’d ever be the most practical option unless you’re somewhere where it’s impossible to lay out a tent or there’s several feet of snow on the ground that you can clear.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:01 pm Roof top tents don't make sense to me. You set it up, and it takes less time than a tent whatever sure, but it's attached to your vehicle and you've gotta cart it around all the time. So if you want to go somewhere, drive to a trailhead or something, you have to pack down your whole campsite just to go? With a tent or trailer you can leave your whole camp intact and just go, come back at the end of the day, no? What am I missing here?

If you're overlanding, you're setting up camp for the night then breaking it down to head off to the next location in the morning. They don't make sense if you need your rig and camp is staying in the same spot for multiple days.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Overlanding being different from wheeling which is different from driving, right? :wat: :dafuq:

English is a fucked up language.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:24 am Overlanding being different from wheeling which is different from driving, right? :wat: :dafuq:

I wouldn't call that a language thing, it's just people making up terms to define their hobbies and try to set themselves apart from others.
troyguitar

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:11 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:24 am Overlanding being different from wheeling which is different from driving, right? :wat: :dafuq:

I wouldn't call that a language thing, it's just people making up terms to define their hobbies and try to set themselves apart from others.
It's such a bizarre set of terms :doe:

Overlanding - Am I not going over land when I walk to my mailbox or drive to McDonald's?

Wheeling - Am I not wheeling when I ride my Big Wheel or roll down the street on my rollerblades or pilot my yacht?

Off-roading or mudcamping at least make a bit more sense. :iono:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:21 am
Apex wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:14 am

If you're overlanding, you're setting up camp for the night then breaking it down to head off to the next location in the morning. They don't make sense if you need your rig and camp is staying in the same spot for multiple days.
:dat:

Also gets you off the ground and away from predators. We don't have wild beasts of the mauling type on the east coast, really.
Guess it depends what you plan on doing with it. Just one person, I can't see how this is any better than just sleeping inthe back of an SUV.
troyguitar

I just find it funny that the terms don't mean anything without an explanation. Overlanding could be any kind of non-aquatic travel. Even a helicopter goes over land.

Same thing as driving on a parkway and parking on a driveway. No wonder so many motherfuckers don't speak English.
ChrisoftheNorth

I don't understand RTTs at all. Even for a quick setup, I'd just pitch a tent. My tent goes up in 5 minutes.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:46 pm Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
:fuckyeah: Accurate.
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:46 pm Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
Smokey isn't hiding in the bushes to punish you for having fun on the trails.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:20 pm :mahtroy: 's here to argue on semantics, naturally.

But overlanding implies travel over multiple surfaces over a distance, sometimes over multiple days, at a slower speed, and typically camping is involved. Sustainablity and responsibility is also important.

It can be the same, but is generally not the same as wheeling or off-roading, which is done by goons in :jeep: and the goal is just to make a mess of everything. Their vehicles, the trails, and their pants.
I'm down to overland,

I am down to overland, per this definition. Been meaning to plan a multi-day hiking trip w/ tenting, don't see why not throw in a :jeep: for meme's sake.

But yea, English is hard. Then you have German with its compound words. Apfelstrudelverkehrslandeswagen.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:16 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:31 pm I just find it funny that the terms don't mean anything without an explanation. Overlanding could be any kind of non-aquatic travel. Even a helicopter goes over land.

Same thing as driving on a parkway and parking on a driveway. No wonder so many motherfuckers don't speak English.
So, then speak deportese.
:micdrop:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:59 pm
Smokey isn't hiding in the bushes to punish you for having fun on the trails.
This is so true. So much fun to be had on trails.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 pm
This is so true. So much fun to be had on trails.

There are places to do stupid things and places to not.

Bottom line is, keep your ass on the doubletrack, don't go mowing down saplings and cutting new trail, and don't fucking litter.

And don't start forest fires.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Where you wanna go? Got dat van.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

rockchops wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:15 pm Where you wanna go? Got dat van.
to a trap house until you get a ransom?
2012 mk6 GTI 6MT (Totaled in '14) > 2015 mk7 GTI DSGay (Sold) > 2020 Renault Clio 1.3Turbo w/ EDC (Istanbul daily) > 2021 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (NoVa daily, Ohioian A6)
@tay_ohk_ for car (and some travel) shitt
I'm a nephew of a :plac:
Johnny_P

For anyone looking for an overlanding rig.... KL Cherokees are probably the best value out there. Newer vehicle, NA V6, low range gearing, should be able to scramble up most passes, and $8k cheaper and half the miles and 4 years newer than most 4Runners out there. A loaded 2015 Trailhawk V6 with adaptive cruise, leather, mondo sized sunroof, and navi is like $22k with 45k miles...