Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

CorvetteWaxer wrote:Got itImage
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Congrats :waxer: !!

Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:30 pm Got itImage
Woooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! :like: :like:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Davestr wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:27 am
Woooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! :like: :like:
dats a good lookin' beetle
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Thanks guys.

Got the car all setup with regards to Individual mode, and all the audio settings as well as some of the customizable info on the displays.

I'm going to try to get out this morning and get some miles on it since we don't appear to have rain today, but looks like a lot of rain in the next 7 days.

So far, with ~100 miles of seat time I can say that the PDK is amazing, but will require a little bit of a learning/adjustment time to get fully used to it. At low speed, part throttle it feels funky when compared to a standard automatic. Everywhere else this thing is FAST to shift up or down. The software is so refined that often you wouldn't know it shifted up unless you are listening to the exhaust or watching the tach.

PDCC feels pretty amazing with such a short amount of seat time. In comfort mode it is still stiff since this has the PASM Sport suspension, but not insane. Anyone complaining should be looking for a Lexus or Caddy instead and not a sports car. In Sport mode it is on par with the Z07's Track setting.

Sport mode on the dial selector makes the exhaust come alive with all the pops and crackles.

Sport+ mode on the dial selector is really :neat: with the transmission software. It holds the gears and will make you think that you're still in manual shift mode, but seems to know when/when not to shift if you are coming into a corner.

The push to pass button is also well done. You hit it and it sets the car up for optimal everything to be ready to hit the gas and go. It shifts to the right gear ahead of time and stays in this mode for 20 seconds. Some people claim it allows overboost, but I haven't seen official documentation that says that. I need to look in the manual and dig more online.

With the rear axle steering the u-turns are really tight in this car, and maybe part of the reason the car feels so stable at speed.. I don't know for sure as I didn't drive a non-RAS car. This thing is tight and goes exactly where you point it with no extra input on the wheel. At 130 MPH it felt no different than 80 mph with regards to the stability and steering feel.

This car has the tilting/sliding sunroof in glass. It's nice, but I do wish it was able to slide about 8 more inches back. It really only opens about 1/2 way and even my wife was unimpressed when she said "that's it?". :lol:

One thing I noticed when I got it home was that even though on paper the Z06 can be either 1 inch shorter or 1 inch longer (depending on trim I guess), this car seems much shorter when it is parked in the garage. I assume my Z07 was the longest with the extended front splitter, but I swear this thing is a good 6 inches shorter. There is a lot more fore/aft room around the car in the garage compared to the C7. It definitely is the 5 inches narrower that they advertise though, downright compact in the garage from side to side which is really nice.

Entry and Drive is cool, especially the magic hand waving trick to open the Frunk. I thought the salesman was messing with me when he did it and assumed he hit the button on the key while using misdirection, but no... it does work.

The 18 way seats are pretty amazing, so far. I am still dialing them in, but the adjustments are really good. This car was optioned without the Alcantara and instead has the $38xx full leather package. So, because of this I got seat heating like all GTS', but also got cooled seats that you can't get in a GTS with Alcantara. The cooling works better than the Chevy system too. Apparently they don't push the air into your back, but instead pull air away from you, according to what I was told and what I read.

This one also has the "dark" brushed aluminum trim on the doors/dash/console, so there is no bright sliver strip running 1/3 of the way down the interior. I think it looks pretty sharp and like it more than the now overly used carbon fiber.

The one option I wish this car would have been ordered with is the voice control, it was a $0 option and they left it off... ?? :wtf: It's not that bad though as the controls are right there at your fingertips and are setup nicely.

The lack of Android Auto sucks, but the media player with USB is really good.. However, I think this is going to push me into....buying...an....iPhone.... At least one for this car, not sure if I will replace my phone completely. Still debating how much I will need the features in this car, so that's a maybe later "problem".

Lane change assist on this car is different too... the lights for the blind spots are not on the mirrors, but on the inside door trim. You can dim the lights it uses, so that's kinda neat.

Things I will miss about the Z06:

1. Front cameras for parking and not causing a couple thousand dollars in damage.
2. Brute force power that will shred tires and tear a hole in the space time continuum. :burnout:
3. The legacy of America's only sports car.
4. Maybe the :manuel: but maybe not. This has great manual response and can run as an automatic if there's traffic.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Oh, here's a quick snap of the sticker I sent to :rudy: from the dealership:

If I was ordering it, it would have been close to this. Knowing what I know now about how the sunroof opens, I probably would have skipped the sunroof and probably added the LED headlights in black. The glass in the roof is nice though when closed or set to the vent mode, so I don't know...
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

When you sell the Corvette for a Porsche and still have Bose...

Honestly the 911 is one of those cars that I legitimately aspire to own some day.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:40 pm When you sell the Corvette for a Porsche and still have Bose...

Honestly the 911 is one of those cars that I legitimately aspire to own some day.
Same. I absolutely love them. Great pick waxer.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Launch control in this thing is a hoot. Way better with the engine in the rear compared to the C6 and C7 launch control.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

PCCA track day at Watkins Glen?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Ohh shietttt!! Congrats :waxer: let us know your thoughts when commuting in this vs your c7 and camaro!

Edit: nevermind, saw your long post
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm Launch control in this thing is a hoot. Way better with the engine in the rear compared to the C6 and C7 launch control.
The way it just squats down and goes is amazing. In the C4 GTS it’s just a constant surge of power. In the Turbo/Turbo S it’s all that just sped up a half a second.

I was lucky enough to take out a GT2RS several weeks back as nobody else was around to fuel it before it went back into our used inventory. 2.7 seconds 0-60 is mind bendingly fast... and in 45 degree weather it was breaking the rear tires loose in 4th gear at *many* miles per hour.

I don’t care if it’s a base/Carrera T, or a Turbo S, manual or PDK, 2 or 4 wheel drive... the 991 is a stunning piece of machinery. Don’t even get me started on a GT3.

I can’t wait for the 992.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Oh, and voice control can be added at the dealer.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:50 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm Launch control in this thing is a hoot. Way better with the engine in the rear compared to the C6 and C7 launch control.
The way it just squats down and goes is amazing. In the C4 GTS it’s just a constant surge of power. In the Turbo/Turbo S it’s all that just sped up a half a second.

I was lucky enough to take out a GT2RS several weeks back as nobody else was around to fuel it before it went back into our used inventory. 2.7 seconds 0-60 is mind bendingly fast... and in 45 degree weather it was breaking the rear tires loose in 4th gear at *many* miles per hour.

I don’t care if it’s a base/Carrera T, or a Turbo S, manual or PDK, 2 or 4 wheel drive... the 991 is a stunning piece of machinery. Don’t even get me started on a GT3.

I can’t wait for the 992.
When my uncle had the 996 c4, he kept telling me on how nicely it squats as he accelerates.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:51 pm Oh, and voice control can be added at the dealer.
Really?

Any idea on ballpark price?

Very, very shocked they didn't use the opportunity to sell it to me.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:23 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:51 pm Oh, and voice control can be added at the dealer.
Really?

I did it on an 18 cayenne and it was about $700 for the switch install and software. I’ll try and remember to pull your vin at work tomorrow and double check.

Does the car have Apple CarPlay?

If so, we might be screwed. If not, I think it’s possible.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:nice:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:44 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Really?

I did it on an 18 cayenne and it was about $700 for the switch install and software. I’ll try and remember to pull your vin at work tomorrow and double check.

Does the car have Apple CarPlay?

If so, we might be screwed. If not, I think it’s possible.
Yeah, it has Carplay.

Appreciate it if you can get me any info. If it's not possible it's not the end of the world.
Davestr

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/2020- ... tion-form/

More Supra pics/interior and first possible data on price.
Davestr

The Next American Car Recession Has Already Started
The collapse of the sedan market has left Detroit automakers with too many plants.

These should be boom times for Detroit. Unemployment is at a half-century low, gasoline is cheap and auto sales in the U.S. were near record levels last year. Yet American automakers are closing factories, cutting shifts and laying off thousands of workers. The industry is behaving like a recession has arrived.

In one segment of the market, it has.

Detroit is in the grips of a car recession marked by the collapse of demand for traditional sedans, which accounted for half the market just six years ago. Buyers have made a mass exodus out of classic family cars and into sport utility vehicles. Familiar sedan models such as the Honda Accord and the Ford Fusion made up a record low 30 percent of U.S. sales in 2018, and things will only get worse.

Sales of the passenger-car body style that’s dominated the industry since the Model T will sink to 21.5 percent of the U.S. market by 2025, according to researchers at LMC Automotive, relegating sedans to fringe products. That leaves automakers with excess factory capacity that can turn out about 3 million more vehicles than buyers want. And overcapacity is precisely what spurred losses the last time a recession wracked the industry.

“You could classify this as a car recession,” said Jeff Schuster, senior vice president of forecasting at LMC Automotive.

It’s a situation that promises to put a damper on the North American International Auto Show in Detroit this week, the last to be held in the chill of January. In a bid to reestablish relevance, the annual car conclave is moving to June next year and will be reimagined as a chance for show-goers to drive new models in warm weather. The car dealers who organize the show hope the new format will entice notable dropouts—a group that now includes Mercedes, BMW and Audi—to return to an event that once commanded the full attention of the automotive world.

An optimist might seek solace in the better-than-expected profit prediction issued Friday by General Motors Co. But a deeper look at the numbers reveals that the biggest contribution to the company’s rosy forecast were cost-cutting plans—including closing five North American plants—which it said will help boost profit this year by as much as $2.5 billion.

The overcapacity plaguing U.S. automakers is the equivalent of 10 excess plants, which would account for at least 20,000 jobs directly, and thousands more as it ripples through the suppliers and support services to the massive industry. “GM has taken some actions, but they still have some well-underutilized plants,” Schuster said. “So we may not be done with this yet.”

One strategy for dealing with the collapsing car market in the past has been to stuff unwanted sedans into rental lots and other commercial fleets. That has only delayed today’s capacity crisis. Those lower-profit fleet sales have inflated the market, keeping U.S. vehicle deliveries above 17 million for the last four years, even as sales to individual retail customers peaked three years ago.

“The car recession and the retail recession have already arrived in the sense that retail sales peaked in 2015 and have gone down ever since,” said Mark Wakefield, head of the automotive practice at consultant AlixPartners. “Cars have just been crushed.”

Many former passenger-car buyers have flocked to crossover SUVs that offer more room and, these days, competitive fuel economy. The Chevy Malibu, a family sedan, gets combined city and highway fuel economy of 26 miles per gallon. The Chevy Equinox, a small crossover SUV, trails by only one mile per gallon.

There are signs drivers are even ditching sedans for big trucks. “Pickup buyers are trading in crossover SUVs and sedans,” said Sandor Piszar, director of marketing at Chevrolet, which is ramping up production of its new Silverado. Total U.S. pickup sales grew 2 percent last year, to 2.4 million vehicles, in a market that was otherwise flat.

Outside Detroit, auto executives are sticking with sedans. Between the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico, Toyota sells 375,000 of its Corolla compacts each year. The Camry sedan likewise moves in big, albeit shrinking, numbers. “We are not going to get out of that business,” Jim Lentz, chief executive officer of Toyota Motor North America, said in an interview last month. “We still see an opportunity there.”

Ironically, automakers have the last recession to blame for their current plight. A decade ago, when high gas prices and a crashing economy left little demand for SUVs, the auto industry suffered through layoffs, plant closings and, ultimately, the bankruptcies and bailouts of GM and Chrysler. Detroit flipped its factories from making hulking SUVs to sensible, gas-sipping sedans.

“You had two quick, upward movements in gas prices in the 2000s that were like a one-two punch,” said Wakefield, “and it was like a dog whistle went off, and you couldn’t sell” SUVs. His firm helped guide GM through its 2009 bankruptcy. “It felt like gas prices would go up and stay high,” he recalled.

But now the market has flipped back, thanks to consistently low gas prices, and much of Detroit is once again building too many of the wrong products.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, which anticipated sedans’ death spiral by culling its car lineup in 2016, has largely sidestepped the restructuring pain GM and Ford are experiencing now. Instead of shuttering plants or cutting shifts, it’s converting an engine factory in Detroit to make room for a three-row Jeep Grand Cherokee and tying its fortunes to an onslaught of SUVs. The Jeep Gladiator, a truck version of the Wrangler, is due out in the second quarter of 2019. A retooled plant in Warren, Michigan, will produce the revived Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer SUVs.

Unlike last time it ran into trouble, Detroit may have trouble finding friends in Washington or at the United Auto Workers to help them get through this tough transition. President Donald Trump has gone on the attack, taking GM Chief Executive Officer Mary Barra to task for her decision to close of four U.S. plants. Even allies like Michigan Rep. Debbie Dingell, a former GM executive, said last month that GM had made itself “the most thoroughly disliked company in Washington.”

The UAW has sued GM over its plant closings and is girding for a big fight at the bargaining table this year as it negotiates new contracts with U.S. automakers that have begun behaving like the good times are already in the rear-view mirror.

“It’s a very bizarre environment right now because the general economic conditions are still quite favorable,” Schuster said. “But it feels like we’re going back to that” dark period a decade ago.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... dy-started
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

If any automaker goes bankrupt because they cand predict market trends based on historical data and analytics of market/economy/etc. then they don’t deserve to be bailed out should they fail. Someone at GM, etc. is making a shit ton of money on data mining and analysis of markets to change the course of their direction as a company and is failing miserably.

That being said, while the trend is moving toward SUV’s and Crossovers, I still think the biggest flaw most manufacturers have is having TOO many models. Toyota has sedans and they sell well because they have a small, medium, large. Enough choice to emulate freedom of choice but hot enough to have people be undecided.

It’s a tricky situation but if they would’ve reacted to market share of sedan sales and repurposed factories for other things they wouldn’t be in this mess.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

razr390 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:02 am If any automaker goes bankrupt because they cand predict market trends based on historical data and analytics of market/economy/etc. then they don’t deserve to be bailed out should they fail. Someone at GM, etc. is making a shit ton of money on data mining and analysis of markets to change the course of their direction as a company and is failing miserably.

That being said, while the trend is moving toward SUV’s and Crossovers, I still think the biggest flaw most manufacturers have is having TOO many models. Toyota has sedans and they sell well because they have a small, medium, large. Enough choice to emulate freedom of choice but hot enough to have people be undecided.

It’s a tricky situation but if they would’ve reacted to market share of sedan sales and repurposed factories for other things they wouldn’t be in this mess.
re: bolded, saw a commercial yesterday ( :wtf: i know right? footballs. Go saints) for hunyadi and they had a pic of all their SUV models and there were like 7 :butwhy:
brain go brrrrrr
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:56 am
razr390 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:02 am If any automaker goes bankrupt because they cand predict market trends based on historical data and analytics of market/economy/etc. then they don’t deserve to be bailed out should they fail. Someone at GM, etc. is making a shit ton of money on data mining and analysis of markets to change the course of their direction as a company and is failing miserably.

re: bolded, saw a commercial yesterday ( :wtf: i know right? footballs. Go saints) for hunyadi and they had a pic of all their SUV models and there were like 7 :butwhy:
Kia actually call the Soul a small SUV now. They actually advertise it as a "small SUV" with a "lower ride height". It's a fucking hatchback.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

It's almost like putting all of your eggs into one basket is a bad plan.

1998: SUVs! We need all teh SUVs!

2008: Fack! Sedans! Errything sedans!

2018: Sumbitch! SUVs! Roll out teh SUVs!

I'd hate for them to figure out that it doesn't need to be a pendulum.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:jimp:

im going searching for the specs on it.

How do you avoid the front plate in commiefornia?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:30 am
:jimp:

im going searching for the specs on it.

How do you avoid the front plate in commiefornia?
Temp tags.