Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:26 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:24 am

Are they though? Mid 60k gets you one of the fastest vehicles ever built. Sure, they're equivalent to a previous gen Altima inside. And they're old tech at this point. But I dunno, they seem more interesting to me than a PDK 911 for no real reason other than Japanese built.
Yea that price point is rough. It also gets you a comp package M3 which is a far better daily. It also gets you a variety of P cars. Does it matter the the gtr is that fast ? You can’t put that power down anyways within city limits. I’d pick the easier to live with fast car
AWD has an advantage for sure. I'd like next car to be AWD, automatic, with an unusable back seat. No question an M3 is easier to live with.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:26 am Yea that price point is rough. It also gets you a comp package M3 which is a far better daily. It also gets you a variety of P cars. Does it matter the the gtr is that fast ? You can’t put that power down anyways within city limits. I’d pick the easier to live with fast car
AWD has an advantage for sure. I'd like next car to be AWD, automatic, with an unusable back seat. No question an M3 is easier to live with.
I want a 10-speed V8 mustang to make lots of vroom vroom noises. :truckyeah:
troyguitar

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 am
Johnny_P wrote:
Same price as a used m3 or m2. Far worse bodyshell and interior, but better sounds... I’d go bmw for
Sure
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 am
Johnny_P wrote:
:notbad: that would be a fun DD
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:34 am
Call me :gay: but at some point it gets too loud. Attracting that much attention when driving is not a good thing, it’s not a lambro, it’s a mustang. So many around me are running with muffler deletes it’s getting kind of old... it’s nice to have a great sounding car but ... this is obnoxious
Last edited by max225 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:43 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:34 am
Call me :gay: but at some point it gets too loud. Atteacting that much attention when driving is not a good thing, it’s not a labro, it’s a mustang. So many around me are running with muffler deletes it’s getting kind of old... it’s nice to have a great sounding car but ... this is obnoxious
Oh I don't want loud noises, just great sounding noises... I've no clue how loud a stock GT350 is in person. It sounds perfect on my stereo system but that's got a volume knob on it.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:46 am

Call me :gay: but at some point it gets too loud. Atteacting that much attention when driving is not a good thing, it’s not a labro, it’s a mustang. So many around me are running with muffler deletes it’s getting kind of old... it’s nice to have a great sounding car but ... this is obnoxious
Oh I don't want loud noises, just great sounding noises... I've no clue how loud a stock GT350 is in person. It sounds perfect on my stereo system but that's got a volume knob on it.
It essentially sounds straight piped. Which is fun to listen to but I can’t imagine being inside that car with all that drone etc, it isn’t exactly a refined vehicle
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:wasteful:

Let me open with a clear statement that what I'm going to say is opinion and I'm equally :wrong: , and not trying to push my ideas on your future car purchase plans... Just had a sec to ponder the discussion.

As an owner of two C.F., I recommend four doors for anyone planning on making some in a year/near future. Otherwise two yrs from now any one of these scratched to hell :doge: transporting racekars will be up for offer and will likely take a resale hit for not being in meticulous condition. No judgement either way, there's something to be said about DD an actual fun car, and I'm fortunate enough to be doing it in a gorf that lives on well paved roads and mainly highway travel, which keeps its somewhat fragile build in good condition. It's awesome to let it rip through onramps/straight aways once in a while and give me that bit of joy in an otherwise boring drive.

From the cars listed above, a 3 series sounds like it has potential, or maybe a nicely appointed MB C-series, :jeep: , :taco: , 300/Charger with the :poop: -pack, etc. But since the roads are shit and space for parking is tight, the smaller the better and lifted. :truk: , CUV think would be in its element. Why bother looking at brand new CUVs when they constantly get compared to used sedans and sports cars. 16k gets someone a three yr old CRV/Rav4/CX5/etc and will last a decadewith zero fooks given. Might be a bit boring I guess. BMW is like the opposite of Japanese cars, depreciation and costly repairs await. Blow out a tie rod, 1k... and so on.
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:47 am

It essentially sounds straight piped. Which is fun to listen to but I can’t imagine being inside that car with all that drone etc, it isn’t exactly a refined vehicle
Too bad. I guess the E90 M3 or V8 Vantage, ISF, etc. are the answers for making V8 noises without being obnoxious.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:55 am
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:47 am

Too bad. I guess the E90 M3 or V8 Vantage, ISF, etc. are the answers for making V8 noises without being obnoxious.
Yea, and they sound a lot less coarse and a lot more exotic...
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

10spd Mustang GT with valved exhaust is a hell of a car. Especially if you get the full digital display etc

Sounds better than the gt350
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

ISF is a great option
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:27 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:26 am I have been saying for years now that Cadillac needs to have the first fully autonomous vehicles. That's the ultimate luxury and would make them the world standard again. Anything less is a waste of time.
Cadillac ELR :disgust:
aka the Cimarron, pt. II.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

The ones I've heard in person haven't seemed to be too loud. Of course, those were GT350s and not the 350Rs. I don't know if the exhaust is different between the two.

I also haven't ridden in one, so I can't attest to drone.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:22 pm ISF is a great option
I was thinking about these yesterday for some reason. :like:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:23 am https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-gm ... nance.html

Didn’t I just make a rant about this ? GM wants to bring Cadillac back to the forefront of innovation. And have them do the electric cars. This makes a lot of sense...
But it needs to make sense not like the rebadged volt for 2x the price they attempted before. It needs to be good, and it must be better than Tesla.... I hope they know that... but I don’t think it’ll get fully executed :(
Hard to say. New Cadillac EV is on all-new EV architecture. Obscene capital is being invested in the platform and technology to go with it. It could end up being legit.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:43 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:23 am https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-gm ... nance.html

Didn’t I just make a rant about this ? GM wants to bring Cadillac back to the forefront of innovation. And have them do the electric cars. This makes a lot of sense...
But it needs to make sense not like the rebadged volt for 2x the price they attempted before. It needs to be good, and it must be better than Tesla.... I hope they know that... but I don’t think it’ll get fully executed :(
Hard to say. New Cadillac EV is on all-new EV architecture. Obscene capital is being invested in the platform and technology to go with it. It could end up being legit.
Well I sure hope it is the #1 capital outlay in the company, not what is being spent on :truck: 's there needs to be an electrified :truck: division as well. A few brokeback cowboys to market it after it is all said and done.

GM NEEDS TO DO THIS TO SURVIVE. This is America, this is GM's home base, where the customers are most loyal. China will swing to whichever direction the wind is blowing, they :aintcare: so investing there... meh... it is a double edged sword. GM needs to be an innovator, not a follower.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:43 pm
Well I sure hope it is the #1 capital outlay in the company, not what is being spent on :truck: 's there needs to be an electrified :truck: division as well. A few brokeback cowboys to market it after it is all said and done.

GM NEEDS TO DO THIS TO SURVIVE. This is America, this is GM's home base, where the customers are most loyal. China will swing to whichever direction the wind is blowing, they :aintcare: so investing there... meh... it is a double edged sword. GM needs to be an innovator, not a follower.
That's what all the layoffs and restructuring is ensuring, freeing up capital to plow into EV and advanced tech.

No idea on the truck development. I think it's more important to get a class-leading EV CUV out first. That's where the volume is in the industry. Truck sales are increasing, but nowhere near as much as CUVs. Nobody has made a solid CUV EV. The Model X looks like a pregnant Model S that costs 100k, and the Jag iPace, which looking neat, seems to have some tech challenges. What else is there?

The first OEM to make a solid EV CUV will win the volume race, but there absolutely needs to be further innovation after that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:27 am

Cadillac ELR :disgust:
aka the Cimarron, pt. II.
:lolol:

It wasn't THAT bad. At least it had unique body and interior. The interior was :mindblown: nice too.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:21 pm 10spd Mustang GT with valved exhaust is a hell of a car. Especially if you get the full digital display etc

Sounds better than the gt350
Yep a schwinnstang GT would be rad. The fahv-oh is a beast as is, no need for a broken flat plane crank motor.
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am :wasteful:

Let me open with a clear statement that what I'm going to say is opinion and I'm equally :wrong: , and not trying to push my ideas on your future car purchase plans... Just had a sec to ponder the discussion.

As an owner of two C.F., I recommend four doors for anyone planning on making some in a year/near future. Otherwise two yrs from now any one of these scratched to hell :doge: transporting racekars will be up for offer and will likely take a resale hit for not being in meticulous condition. No judgement either way, there's something to be said about DD an actual fun car, and I'm fortunate enough to be doing it in a gorf that lives on well paved roads and mainly highway travel, which keeps its somewhat fragile build in good condition. It's awesome to let it rip through onramps/straight aways once in a while and give me that bit of joy in an otherwise boring drive.

From the cars listed above, a 3 series sounds like it has potential, or maybe a nicely appointed MB C-series, :jeep: , :taco: , 300/Charger with the :poop: -pack, etc. But since the roads are shit and space for parking is tight, the smaller the better and lifted. :truk: , CUV think would be in its element. Why bother looking at brand new CUVs when they constantly get compared to used sedans and sports cars. 16k gets someone a three yr old CRV/Rav4/CX5/etc and will last a decadewith zero fooks given. Might be a bit boring I guess. BMW is like the opposite of Japanese cars, depreciation and costly repairs await. Blow out a tie rod, 1k... and so on.
Oh for sure. It would be a 1-year cash fire. Everyone knows when you have 1 cf you need to get a massive dopey vehicle. 2cf might as well just get a minivan. This only needs to haul the fur child.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:56 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:46 pm

That's what all the layoffs and restructuring is ensuring, freeing up capital to plow into EV and advanced tech.

No idea on the truck development. I think it's more important to get a class-leading EV CUV out first. That's where the volume is in the industry. Truck sales are increasing, but nowhere near as much as CUVs. Nobody has made a solid CUV EV. The Model X looks like a pregnant Model S that costs 100k, and the Jag iPace, which looking neat, seems to have some tech challenges. What else is there?

The first OEM to make a solid EV CUV will win the volume race, but there absolutely needs to be further innovation after that.
The H is making an electric version of the Kona :notsure: if it's a CUV or SUV :doe:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:24 am
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:20 am

That’s not bad.... gtrs are great but too expensive man
Are they though? Mid 60k gets you one of the fastest vehicles ever built. Sure, they're equivalent to a previous gen Altima inside. And they're old tech at this point. But I dunno, they seem more interesting to me than a PDK 911 for no real reason other than Japanese built.
Are we back on supercar ownership while parking outside in a Northeast City with Bagdad road conditions? :impressive:

That STI report is :notbad: considering your sitch.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:56 pm

The H is making an electric version of the Kona :notsure: if it's a CUV or SUV :doe:
Oh yea, forgot about that.

I guess I should have clarified that I meant a vehicle on a dedicated EV platform. The EV Kona is still basically a Kona isn't it?