Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:49 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:44 am I think I'm due for my yearly oil change. I should do that tomorrow.
Every service is an annual service for you. :lol:
Yep. Tire rotation? Annual. Oil change? Annual. Head gasket replacement? Annual. Wait.

I wonder how bad GTRs actually do ride... They have back seats and automatic transmissions...
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:08 am

Yep. Tire rotation? Annual. Oil change? Annual. Head gasket replacement? Annual. Wait.

I wonder how bad GTRs actually do ride... They have back seats and automatic transmissions...
:lolol:

Take one out for a ride, see if you can find one for sale private party for a better/longer test drive though.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:19 am

Take one out for a ride, see if you can find one for sale private party for a better/longer test drive though.
I wonder if there's a Carmax with one.

My current musings are this.... I do enjoy cars, and life is too short to drive something lame like a rav4. I'll have a kid in a year. Now is the time to do something stupid. Bad idea? Probably.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:34 am
Apex wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:19 am

My current musings are this.... I do enjoy cars, and life is too short to drive something lame like a rav4. I'll have a kid in a year. Now is the time to do something stupid. Bad idea? Probably.
:dat:
See if you can find one to take out to see if it is something you would even want to pursue. It would be awesome to have someone on the board with a GTR. :giggity:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:44 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:34 am

See if you can find one to take out to see if it is something you would even want to pursue. It would be awesome to have someone on the board with a GTR. :giggity:
Not much else gets the blood flowing to the :dong: like the thought of a GTR for me. Maybe a 911 but I think I prefer the Jap cars really.

$40k (fully loaded Rav4 lawllll) gets you:
-Your pick of M cars M2/M3/M4
-Jag F Type S
-S5

GTR/911 is more like $65k, but I don't think they depreciate much if at all really.
Johnny_P

Oh wow $30k gets you a nice ass Infiniti Q60. I wonder how they eat up potholes...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:53 am
Apex wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:44 am

Not much else gets the blood flowing to the :dong: like the thought of a GTR for me. Maybe a 911 but I think I prefer the Jap cars really.

-Jag F Type S
-S5

GTR/911 is more like $65k, but I don't think they depreciate much if at all really.
Street parking a GTR?

:popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:03 am

-Jag F Type S
-S5

Street parking a GTR?

Right??!?! Full retard. :megusta:
Apex

-Jag F Type S
-S5

Street parking a GTR?

Don't stop him! Let the :fullretard: flow through him.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

-Jag F Type S
-S5

Street parking a GTR?

In the end, it is just a Nissan that looks like a half-breed Mustang.

The only thing I like about the GT-R is they are quick, but the early trans issues, and the fact that they are a Nissan just turn me off.

"Most of our customers have a 450 FICO score and we've been building quality down to that level forever.. Hey, let's make a $110k car." --Nissan
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:07 am
Street parking a GTR?

The only thing I like about the GT-R is they are quick, but the early trans issues, and the fact that they are a Nissan just turn me off.

"Most of our customers have a 450 FICO score and we've been building quality down to that level forever.. Hey, let's make a $110k car." --Nissan
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Street parking a GTR?

Not wrong.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:12 am

Not wrong.
I'm not saying it wasn't a good effort, I just don't have any faith in Nissan as a whole. If they did it right, the GT-R could have been something awesome. I feel like it's more like a 4th Gen Camaro though.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:07 am
Street parking a GTR?

I'm in a mood.

Here's what has happened to my STI in 2 years of street parking it:
-Door ding likely caused at work. But could happen in any parking lot situation.
-Hit by bicycle, bumper corner needs a spot repair.
-3 parking tickets because I left it in a loading zone.
-Scratched the bumper because I leaned my mountain bike against it.

I dunno. The GTI fared worse. But I was parking the GTI in parallel spots because it fit literally everywhere. This I'm far more cautious and park it in pull-in or back-in angled spots.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

You’re ready for Porsche ownershit
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
Apex wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:07 am Don't stop him! Let the :fullretard: flow through him.
I'm in a mood.

-Door ding likely caused at work. But could happen in any parking lot situation.

I dunno. The GTI fared worse. But I was parking the GTI in parallel spots because it fit literally everywhere. This I'm far more cautious and park it in pull-in or back-in angled spots.
You know you want a truck.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:17 am
Apex wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:07 am

I'm in a mood.

That’s not bad.... gtrs are great but too expensive man
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:19 am
Johnny_P wrote:
I'm in a mood.

You know you want a truck.
I do. A Taco would be great.
max225

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-gm ... nance.html

Didn’t I just make a rant about this ? GM wants to bring Cadillac back to the forefront of innovation. And have them do the electric cars. This makes a lot of sense...
But it needs to make sense not like the rebadged volt for 2x the price they attempted before. It needs to be good, and it must be better than Tesla.... I hope they know that... but I don’t think it’ll get fully executed :(
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:20 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:17 am

I'm in a mood.

Are they though? Mid 60k gets you one of the fastest vehicles ever built. Sure, they're equivalent to a previous gen Altima inside. And they're old tech at this point. But I dunno, they seem more interesting to me than a PDK 911 for no real reason other than Japanese built.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:19 am

You’re ready for Porsche ownershit
A 911 would be pretty rad. I like the 991's. Can't do a cayman because no back seat dog perch.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-gm ... nance.html

Didn’t I just make a rant about this ? GM wants to bring Cadillac back to the forefront of innovation. And have them do the electric cars. This makes a lot of sense...
But it needs to make sense not like the rebadged volt for 2x the price they attempted before. It needs to be good, and it must be better than Tesla.... I hope they know that... but I don’t think it’ll get fully executed :(
I have been saying for years now that Cadillac needs to have the first fully autonomous vehicles. That's the ultimate luxury and would make them the world standard again. Anything less is a waste of time.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:24 am
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:20 am

Are they though? Mid 60k gets you one of the fastest vehicles ever built. Sure, they're equivalent to a previous gen Altima inside. And they're old tech at this point. But I dunno, they seem more interesting to me than a PDK 911 for no real reason other than Japanese built.
Yea that price point is rough. It also gets you a comp package M3 which is a far better daily. It also gets you a variety of P cars. Does it matter the the gtr is that fast ? You can’t put that power down anyways within city limits. I’d pick the easier to live with fast car
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:26 am

I have been saying for years now that Cadillac needs to have the first fully autonomous vehicles. That's the ultimate luxury and would make them the world standard again. Anything less is a waste of time.
Cadillac ELR :disgust:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:26 am

100% this