Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I get around 300 miles in my Fiesta - I don't know that I'd want anymore. She aint a grand tourer.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

I know insurance rates depend on factors that can't really be compared from one area to another, but I was a bit shocked about the quote from my insurance company for the 911.

Driver:

48 YO Male.
0 tickets in the last 10 years.
Completely clean, no claims other than glass in the last 12 years.
Licensed for 32 years.
Multiple car discount.
Home owners bundle discount.
10% discount for spouse being a state employed teacher.

~3500 miles per year to be put on the car, just like the Z06/Z07.

Z06: $89/month
911 C2 GTS: $198/month

Lots of internet guys claiming they pay $700-900/year for a C2 GTS insurance. They must have $10/$15 maximum coverage and a $2000 deductible from what I can tell.

That's a lot of money to pay an insurance company for a car I technically will barely drive. If I estimated more mileage my agent said "it gets obscene, fast.".
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

The age of the flying car is upon us!
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon- ... 2019-01-10

Thanks to Musk. :lol:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote:I know insurance rates depend on factors that can't really be compared from one area to another, but I was a bit shocked about the quote from my insurance company for the 911.

Driver:

48 YO Male.
Licensed for 32 years.
Multiple car discount.

Lots of internet guys claiming they pay $700-900/year for a C2 GTS insurance. They must have $10/$15 maximum coverage and a $2000 deductible from what I can tell.

That's a lot of money to pay an insurance company for a car I technically will barely drive. If I estimated more mileage my agent said "it gets obscene, fast.".
:wtf:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 pm I know insurance rates depend on factors that can't really be compared from one area to another, but I was a bit shocked about the quote from my insurance company for the 911.

Driver:

48 YO Male.
Licensed for 32 years.
Multiple car discount.

yeaaahhh.

Insurance on the Aprilia was 2x that of the KTM despite the cost and specs being nearly identical between the two machines.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:59 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Yesterday I had to get gas which I hate (as previously stated), car took 15.4 gallons in my 15.8 gallon tank, running on fumes because :aintcare: went a "whopping" 310 miles. :disgust: I miss the days of the 500 mile fill up in my TDI.

I will never understand those people preferring small tanks because "$20 fills her up" we need a plague.
The "cheap" fill up is idiotic. My gas pressure washer I don't really use anymore only took a gallon to fill it up! but it runs out in 45 minutes of use. I get the point if you're carrying the thing around, but in a car they should all be at least 20 gallon tanks.

Bigger tanks = more to be had by syphoning when the SHTF and the Walking Dead comes true.

:lolol:
:lol: :lol:
Apex

4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:50 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 pm I know insurance rates depend on factors that can't really be compared from one area to another, but I was a bit shocked about the quote from my insurance company for the 911.

Driver:

48 YO Male.
Licensed for 32 years.
Multiple car discount.

yeaaahhh.

Insurance on the Aprilia was 2x that of the KTM despite the cost and specs being nearly identical between the two machines.
What is insurance like on the ape? Bike insurance always seemed dirt cheap to me.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:49 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:I know insurance rates depend on factors that can't really be compared from one area to another, but I was a bit shocked about the quote from my insurance company for the 911.

Driver:

48 YO Male.
Licensed for 32 years.
Multiple car discount.

Yeah... I mean, do they think that I've gone the last 12 years with no claims or cost to them to now finally stick it to them and make claims they would just end up dropping me over?

I don't get it.

I checked with Progressive, since I insured my bikes there (about 1/3 the cost of my normal insurance company) and they were $270/month.

I really hate to tell the guy at the dealership that I am not going to buy the car because I refuse to pay that much for something I pretty much know I won't ever use (the insurance).
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Driver:

48 YO Male.
Licensed for 32 years.
Multiple car discount.

:dat:

I'm surprised it's that expensive.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Driver:

48 YO Male.
Licensed for 32 years.
Multiple car discount.

Twice the car twice the money ? :iono: come on now... the ownershit costs of the GTS is likely 2k a month, $100 in insurance isn't exactly breaking the bank here.
Apex

That price delta between the Z06 and 911 insurance rates is insane.

How do people afford crowd-slaying Mustangs in CA then? That has to be $1k/mo...
troyguitar

On the other hand, it is a much more expensive car with even more expensive parts and labor right? It's not a plastic tub with a :truk: motor and a carbon fiber spoiler.

That sucks though, I keep thinking that I might be able to afford a used Poorsche someday and if insurance is that high then I won't get one either.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:58 pm On the other hand, it is a much more expensive car with even more expensive parts and labor right? It's not a plastic tub with a :truk: motor and a carbon fiber spoiler.

That sucks though, I keep thinking that I might be able to afford a used Poorsche someday and if insurance is that high then I won't get one either.
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:56 pm

Driver:

48 YO Male.
Licensed for 32 years.
Multiple car discount.

Twice the car twice the money ? :iono: come on now... the ownershit costs of the GTS is likely 2k a month, $100 in insurance isn't exactly breaking the bank here.
1.5x the cost, 69% of the performance and power.

It's not about the number really, but the principle of it all. If I was 20 something, or had made a bunch of claims, or had tickets I could understand and pay it... but I don't. I've also been with this agent and company since 1988.

It just seems excessive for an adult with my history and no kids.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:00 pm

It's not about the number really, but the principle of it all. If I was 20 something, or had made a bunch of claims, or had tickets I could understand and pay it... but I don't. I've also been with this agent and company since 1988.

Just imagine what others are paying.

It must come down to the cost of parts. I'm sure the cost of a bumper cover or headlight, or anything on the Porsche is double that on a Corvette. So in the off chance you do have to use your insurance, the insurance co is on the hook for more.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I pay $150/mo in insurance to drive an outdated rally sedan 4500 miles a year in Philly :iono:

But they're probably charging more because it's a Porsche and they know you'll pay it, whereas Corvettes are owned by fat old white dudes with grass driveways.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:00 pm

Pretty sure I am in the lowest bracket as well, and my costs are about $125 for the M3 (the 370z was more but i had shittier coverage so monthly was less), they were $7x in my Corvette. Corvettes are notoriously cheap, $1M umbrella policy $500 deductible btw.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:57 pm That price delta between the Z06 and 911 insurance rates is insane.

How do people afford crowd-slaying Mustangs in CA then? That has to be $1k/mo...
That's the thing that kills me.

From my recent history:

Prius: $100/mo
Hyundai GenCoupe: $100/mo
Xterra: $110/mo
GTI: $100/mo
MK6R: $105/mo
C6 Grandsport: $95/mo
C7 Z51: $95/mo
Mustang GT: $100/mo
m235i: $105/mo
C7 Z06: $89/mo
Camaro SS 1LE: $95/mo
JKU Rubicon Hard Rock: $105/mo
Colorado ZR2: $99/mo
JLU Rubicon: $95/mo

All of those cars other than the Z06 were listed as "15,000 miles per year" on the insurance too! The Z06 and the 911 were all quoted/paid as no more than 5000 miles per year.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:I pay $150/mo in insurance to drive an outdated rally sedan 4500 miles a year in Philly :iono:

But they're probably charging more because it's a Porsche and they know you'll pay it, whereas Corvettes are owned by fat old white dudes with grass driveways.
WRX insurance was insane when I briefly shopped it against the :turboyaris: - IIRC it was 50% more than the VW despite the car costing the same and being Japanese.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:53 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:47 pm

Ever have an emergency and need to get in the car and go, like now?

Oh, damn, my slow charging EV car I depleted this afternoon is only at 10% charge and I need to go 50 miles.

I don't let obvious potential failure points into my workflow at work, and I don't let them in at home for emergency situations.

Nothing EV will beat a 3 minute fill up of dead dinosaurs.... in our lifetime, anyway.
NO and if it is THAT urgent I would charge my car overnight, which i can do AT home vs having the emergency and having to go to a gas station and pump gas. Every morning your car would be at 100%, it is far more convenient that dealing with the poors, and :mahtroy: beggers asking for $5 at your local gas station.

Also, you can get an uber if shit is that crucial. This argument doesn't really work.
I'd get an EV if I had ability to charge at home or at work (either one would be fine). But I have neither. So I don't have an EV. Philly has zero EV infrastructure publicly accessible and zero plans to incorporate any into the city. EVs will have a very slow uptake here which is retarded, as cities are where EVs should make the most sense.

I should buy a hybrid.

I dunno, a model 3 with 250-300 mile range sounds pretty great, especially considering you have access to superchargers on all the major highways anymore. My car has about that much gas range and I only fill up every 3 weeks ish. So I'd only need to plug in every couple weeks. I don't see the problem.
Johnny_P

Although there is a dieselbro that threw an extension cord out the basement window of our building and plugs in for his glow plug :rolleyes: in 60 degree weather, so maybe nobody would notice if I parked next to him and plugged in a Model 3? I'd get about 5 miles of charge per hour, so 40 miles charged per work day, only eating about 7-8 for commuting, so net +32 ish miles per work day?
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:21 pm Although there is a dieselbro that threw an extension cord out the basement window of our building and plugs in for his glow plug :rolleyes: in 60 degree weather, so maybe nobody would notice if I parked next to him and plugged in a Model 3? I'd get about 5 miles of charge per hour, so 40 miles charged per work day, only eating about 7-8 for commuting, so net +32 ish miles per work day?
Might as well. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote:I pay $150/mo in insurance to drive an outdated rally sedan 4500 miles a year in Philly :iono:

WRX insurance was insane when I briefly shopped it against the :turboyaris: - IIRC it was 50% more than the VW despite the car costing the same and being Japanese.
WRX was the most expensive car I could find to insure in Meatchicken. More than a GT3 (I had my insurance agent look because I couldn't believe how expensive the WRX was). It was like $350/mo IIRC, the GT3 was $300.

Meatchicken is also fucked for car insurance rates.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:28 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:21 pm Although there is a dieselbro that threw an extension cord out the basement window of our building and plugs in for his glow plug :rolleyes: in 60 degree weather, so maybe nobody would notice if I parked next to him and plugged in a Model 3? I'd get about 5 miles of charge per hour, so 40 miles charged per work day, only eating about 7-8 for commuting, so net +32 ish miles per work day?
Might as well. :iono:
Problem is, if and when people complain about it, I'm SOL on charging options for regular use, and would have to duke it out at the Whole Foods parking garage and sit around there for an hour or two as my car fast charges...
max225

Original engine and transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk