Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:06 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:04 pm

I’m sick of not being able to ride because of the weather, and I just can’t get in to a good rhythm on the spin bike without something to keep me engaged.
I'm not faulting you. I'd have Zwifted if the wife wasn't a willing Peloton participant.
Is she actually using it?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:41 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:37 pm

Is she actually using it?
Yep. 62 total workouts logged this year so far.

Granted, they're 20-30 minutes vs. my 30-45 minute classes, but she's been using it. Noticing definite improvements in strength, endurance, and overall fitness. She's seen the light, finally.
Likelihood of hitting the trails in 19?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

KICKR is on fedex truck and showing delivery by end of day today.

As of 1pm today it's still in Jennette, Arkansas.

Not gonna happen.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Fedex tracking is seriously fucked up.

Kickr is here. Cassette isn't.

Setup was super easy. Four bolts to attach the legs. Paired it up in the Wahoo app (I have an older Wahoo Element computer, the newer ones apparently can control the trainer, too) and it gave me a message to update the firmware.

Firmware downloads through my phone, connects to the Kickr and fails half a dozen times. Power cycle it, and it starts to update then dies. End up having to use the iPad to finish the update.

Unit is solid, weighs about 50lbs. Haven't had a chance to run it as I don't feel like pulling the cassette off one of the bikes just yet, but it's apparenty silent.

I'll get it set up properly tomorrow and get the calibration done.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:35 pm Fedex tracking is seriously fucked up.

Setup was super easy. Four bolts to attach the legs. Paired it up in the Wahoo app (I have an older Wahoo Element computer, the newer ones apparently can control the trainer, too) and it gave me a message to update the firmware.

Firmware downloads through my phone, connects to the Kickr and fails half a dozen times. Power cycle it, and it starts to update then dies. End up having to use the iPad to finish the update.

Unit is solid, weighs about 50lbs. Haven't had a chance to run it as I don't feel like pulling the cassette off one of the bikes just yet, but it's apparenty silent.

Let us know what you think of it. I generally can't stand trainers, the noise and boredom get to me.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:52 am
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:35 pm Fedex tracking is seriously fucked up.

Let us know what you think of it. I generally can't stand trainers, the noise and boredom get to me.
This thing is belt driven, and apparently the only thing you hear is drivetrain noise, which was a big selling point for me. The Zwift part should hopefully take care of the boredom.
Johnny_P

35 mile gravel ride yesterday on the cross bike. Left South Philly and met some friends at boathouse row. Ripped up Boxer's trail, dipped into Belmont. Cleaned up the christmas tree ornaments. Made our way to the southern trailhead where we ran into Belmont Trail Alliance cleaning up a bunch of trash. So we hopped off the bikes, helped collect garbage. Ended up with 4 giant trash bags full of bottles, cans, cups, etc. Hopped back on the bikes, made our way to the Cynwyd Heritage Trail, crossed to Manayunk, went up the towpath. Climbed Port Royal and then dropped into the Wiss. Took Forbidden Drive back, and ended at Wissahickon Brewing for some burgers and brews.

Kick ass ride. Beautiful day for it too.

Tubeless worked nicely, I had them at 30 PSI, can probably go a few lower in the front at least. Brakes got stronger, I guess I just needed to break in the new rotors.

Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:42 am 35 mile gravel ride yesterday on the cross bike. Left South Philly and met some friends at boathouse row. Ripped up Boxer's trail, dipped into Belmont. Cleaned up the christmas tree ornaments. Made our way to the southern trailhead where we ran into Belmont Trail Alliance cleaning up a bunch of trash. So we hopped off the bikes, helped collect garbage. Ended up with 4 giant trash bags full of bottles, cans, cups, etc. Hopped back on the bikes, made our way to the Cynwyd Heritage Trail, crossed to Manayunk, went up the towpath. Climbed Port Royal and then dropped into the Wiss. Took Forbidden Drive back, and ended at Wissahickon Brewing for some burgers and brews.

Kick ass ride. Beautiful day for it too.

Tubeless worked nicely, I had them at 30 PSI, can probably go a few lower in the front at least. Brakes got stronger, I guess I just needed to break in the new rotors.

:nice:
Johnny_P

I need a fender on the back though. Mud butt like whoa.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:16 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:46 am I need a fender on the back though. Mud butt like whoa.
:poop:

:jelly: of the riding, doe. I'd like a gravel-capable steed.
If you get one, best advice I can give is to find one you won't mind beating the piss out of. I'm glad I went with a cheap steel frame for mine. Only thing I wish it had is a thru-axle fork.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I've got just over 60 miles and 3800 feet of climbing in so far on the KICKR with Zwift. Just ordered a heart rate monitor, too.

Rides have been fairly enjoyable, for what it's worth. I'm impressed with the "road feel" on the KICKR and how it transitions in and out of "hills". The trainer has been pretty much silent, just a little hum from from the belt which is about on par with the drivetrain noise. I did 21 miles in 1:10 last night with it upstairs in my office and the wife was asleep on the couch and didn't know I was up there.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:54 am I've got just over 60 miles and 3800 feet of climbing in so far on the KICKR with Zwift. Just ordered a heart rate monitor, too.

Rides have been fairly enjoyable, for what it's worth. I'm impressed with the "road feel" on the KICKR and how it transitions in and out of "hills". The trainer has been pretty much silent, just a little hum from from the belt which is about on par with the drivetrain noise. I did 21 miles in 1:10 last night with it upstairs in my office and the wife was asleep on the couch and didn't know I was up there.
You have this setup on the choadie?
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:54 am I've got just over 60 miles and 3800 feet of climbing in so far on the KICKR with Zwift. Just ordered a heart rate monitor, too.

Been eyeing these up. Pricing it all out, I think I'd be in it for $1600 once you figure in a TV and associated mounts, cables, apple TV, etc to run it all and set it up in the basement.

That's a lot of moolah. Cheaper than a Peloton spin bike though.

I enjoyed the spin class I did the other day. Partly because of exercise but partly because it got me out of the house...
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:29 pm

Been eyeing these up. Pricing it all out, I think I'd be in it for $1600 once you figure in a TV and associated mounts, cables, apple TV, etc to run it all and set it up in the basement.

I enjoyed the spin class I did the other day. Partly because of exercise but partly because it got me out of the house...
You can run it on a laptop or ipad and output to a screen if needs be. If you have a macbook, you don't need ANT+ dongles/cables either, everything is Bluetooth Low Energy.

I'm into this for $899 for the kickr, $40 for an 11-28 cassette (road bike has 11-32), and $40 for a wahoo tickr HRM. I've run it on an appleTV, ipad and my macbook.

It's way more enjoyable than a spin bike, i think.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:17 pm

yarp.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:01 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:17 pm

yarp.
:nice:
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:00 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:29 pm

You can run it on a laptop or ipad and output to a screen if needs be. If you have a macbook, you don't need ANT+ dongles/cables either, everything is Bluetooth Low Energy.

I'm into this for $899 for the kickr, $40 for an 11-28 cassette (road bike has 11-32), and $40 for a wahoo tickr HRM. I've run it on an appleTV, ipad and my macbook.

My computer is a chrome book. MacBook borked and Apple TV is old. I’d need a whole setup because it would go in the basement not the living room.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:45 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:00 pm

My computer is a chrome book. MacBook borked and Apple TV is old. I’d need a whole setup because it would go in the basement not the living room.
so you could do it on a $279 regular iPad and just build a little desk/table, or buy one of the handlebar mounts that also exist.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:45 pm

Order up a TV from Jhina and try the old Apple TV.
Needs a 4th gen apple TV or one of the new 4K ones.

I would recommend a 4K appleTV. I have a 4th gen and get occasional stutters, and especially when there's 8-10,000 people riding, it can get choppy.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:57 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Order up a TV from Jhina and try the old Apple TV.
Needs a 4th gen apple TV or one of the new 4K ones.

I would recommend a 4K appleTV. I have a 4th gen and get occasional stutters, and especially when there's 8-10,000 people riding, it can get choppy.
Yeah this is what I’d do.
Johnny_P

Anyone want some T-shirts? My team is selling some :D

Proceeds will go to our "sponsor" nonprofits!
Johnny_P

Got shreddy in Belmont today with some friends. So good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:10 pm Image

Got shreddy in Belmont today with some friends. So good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you use for hands and feet - gloves and shoe covers-wise?

Those are my weakest points when riding in the winter.
Hands I have north face ski gloves. They worked fine.

Feet I put on thick ass wool socks and shoved a toe warmer pack in the shoe. And I have Sugoi shoe covers for mountain tread. Also worked. Most of my friends have winter MTB shoes though.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:46 pm In discussions with a buddy of mine to build up an all road kind of bike. Road oriented but with some gravel capability.

Looking at something like the Niner RLT9 but a little racier. Steel frame, Ultegra hydro brakes and gruppo, Stans wheels and fat 32C slicks. Probably going with a compact setup, 50/34 in the front and an 11-32 in the rear.

Ideally, this would replace both the Schwinn and the CAAD.
Do it. But, think bigger on the tires. At least build capability for 700x40 knobbies (or 650x47 ish :hubba: ) in case you get the itch to try them. My bike came with 35s and I thought they would be fine. Took it on the road, it was fine. Gravel, it was fine ish. Then realized I love the damn bike and started going on MTB trails with it. Tires and gears were the limiting factors. 40c WTB Nanos are fantastic, and 1:1 low is pretty ideal for the stuff I ride. I can do pavement all day and it's no problem, or trails all day and it's good. Or a mix and it's just anything goes.

I have the road slicks for the bike now too but I don't think they'll get much use. I took it on some pizza rides last year, knobbies and all, and it was a fucking RIOT. And quite fun to take the dirt line while the rest of the group takes the paved line.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:10 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:37 pm

Do it. But, think bigger on the tires. At least build capability for 700x40 knobbies (or 650x47 ish :hubba: ) in case you get the itch to try them. My bike came with 35s and I thought they would be fine. Took it on the road, it was fine. Gravel, it was fine ish. Then realized I love the damn bike and started going on MTB trails with it. Tires and gears were the limiting factors. 40c WTB Nanos are fantastic, and 1:1 low is pretty ideal for the stuff I ride. I can do pavement all day and it's no problem, or trails all day and it's good. Or a mix and it's just anything goes.

I have the road slicks for the bike now too but I don't think they'll get much use. I took it on some pizza rides last year, knobbies and all, and it was a fucking RIOT. And quite fun to take the dirt line while the rest of the group takes the paved line.
I won't be riding this on trails dawg - I'm not a full rigid kinda guy. What I do want, is a bike that I can start doing these gravel rides on, and knock out some long road rides on. The CAAD is too racy, the Schwinn can't handle bigger tires, and mud and rim brakes blows.

I'm essentially looking to build up a chubby CAAD. With discs, a threaded bottom bracket, and steel.
What type of gravel riding do you want to do though? "Gravel" riding on the Delaware diver trail up by Trenton area is a lot different than "gravel" riding by State College. River trail you can get by with 25s likely, State College I was speed limited on my 40s. And that was a double track road, just the terrain out there is rather intense. In Philly, Belmont gravel roads, Manayunk tow path, and Forbidden Drive gravel are all doable on a road bike with 23s, just more cushion is more better. But you ain't doing Boxer's trail or the Belmont trolley trail (both just gravel) on 23s.

Well either way though, sounds like you're going to have a very fun bike in the end! I'd recommend a thru axle front, QR rear is likely fine especially on a steel bike. Hydro disc if you can swing it, they're a lot more powerful than cable. Fully jacketed rear derailleur cable (or internal routing) is a godsend in muddy and damp conditions. Flared handlebars are awesome, I love my Salsa Cowbell bars but wish they were carbon fiber for extra vibration damping. They help you maintain more control over the bike when going downhill (drops are great for downhill rutted stuff, more braking power and you're "locked in" to your bars better) and the flares allow your arms more movement. If going custom might as well get a tapered head tube, all CF forks are tapered now.

That's about all I got.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.