Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
68%
Rent it
21%
:crang: in mom's basement
6%
:dong: grabbing frat house
3%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
3%

Total votes: 34
SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Willys Wheeler

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:57 pm

MIchelle and I are gonna go check this place out

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa ... 70265.html

Not a terrible price considering most of the utilities are included, plus it has a washer and dryer, and you get a garage, all of which are very rare out here.

Same neighborhood we're both in now, but on the other side of one of the main roads, and I don't venture over there much, so not super sure about it, but it's close enough to me that I can drive by at various times and get a feel for things.
:sawce:

Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Burble

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:04 pm

wap wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:31 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:25 pm

Tankless won't save that much really. It's double the cost in material alone. But endless shower sounds nice. I deplete the hot water after a single shower at my house, like 10-15 mins it's donezo. Could remedy that with a larger water heater though.

I guess the expansion tank is cheap enough that it's NBD to just add it and a check valve.
What size is your current tank?

What is your fuel source, gas or oil?
40 gal, gas, 32k BTU/hr

Desertbreh
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:30 pm

SAWCE wrote:

Not a terrible price considering most of the utilities are included, plus it has a washer and dryer, and you get a garage, all of which are very rare out here.

Same neighborhood we're both in now, but on the other side of one of the main roads, and I don't venture over there much, so not super sure about it, but it's close enough to me that I can drive by at various times and get a feel for things.
:notbad:
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

Detroit
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:45 pm

SAWCE wrote:

Oh wow, :notbad:
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
SAWCE wrote:

Splitting rent there drops my payment about $350/month too. And it’s the same PM company I’m renting from now and they’re cool with large dogs, so this is likely going to happen.

Tarspin
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: mk7 :gorf:

Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:01 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:35 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:
We generally pay roughly 1.1% on the assessed value of the property.
Fuck. That might be the cheapest in the country combined with the lack of assessments keeping up with real market value... No wonder everyone wants to own CA property.

Don't sell it Max, rent it out.
:dat:
20 yrs from now buying back in will be epic IMO

wap
Drives: Mk6Veyron

Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:10 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:04 pm
wap wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:31 pm

What size is your current tank?

What is your fuel source, gas or oil?
40 gal, gas, 32k BTU/hr
Dang. 40 gal lasts us 2 showers plus washing dishes easily.

Re gas, see my previous post about the possibility of needing to upgrade your gas line for a tankless system.
:wap: Where are these mangos?

wap

Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:10 pm

SAWCE wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:

Splitting rent there drops my payment about $350/month too. And it’s the same PM company I’m renting from now and they’re cool with large dogs, so this is likely going to happen.
:nice:

Johnny_P

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:19 am

SAWCE wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:

Says 2 pets max? You have 3?

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:53 am

Johnny_P wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:19 am
SAWCE wrote:

Says 2 pets max? You have 3?
Off site property management company. I’m not worried about them finding out about the cat. I’ll ask them about it before we lock it up and tell them we were thinking about getting cat and see what they say, but it should be fine either way.

coogles
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:04 am

troyguitar wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote: We generally pay roughly 1.1% on the assessed value of the property.
Fuck. That might be the cheapest in the country combined with the lack of assessments keeping up with real market value... No wonder everyone wants to own CA property.

Don't sell it Max, rent it out.
That's all of Indiana. Constitutional amendment several years ago limiting property taxes to 1% of assessed value. Assessments aren't artificially low, but in my sample size of one, I think it's fairly reasonably close to the actual market value of our home.

dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:33 am

We are right at 1% down in swamplandia. Its cheaper out of the city. They also dont actually update your assessed value often, ie never, unless there is a transaction.
This post is illegal in the European Union.

Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:12 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:41 pm
Water heaters: Tankless or tank?

Ours is 25 years old :yikes: time to replace it. I think the cold water dip tube is gone inside the unit because water at the tap will oscillate between hot and cold. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to go tankless. Something to keep in mind, the exhaust is what it is, I can't exactly upgrade the exhaust size at all because it goes to a common chimney tied to the boiler. It's like 4" or something.

Also, do I need an expansion tank on the cold inlet line to the water heater? Currently doesn't have one.
My parents have a tank but my wife and I have a tankless. The tank heats up MUCH quicker (esp on the other side of the house) but has a finite amount. The tankless takes much longer to heat up (again, esp on the other side of the house) but then stays hot until you switch it.
The panda hath arrived.

Johnny_P

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:12 am

https://phillyhomeshow.com/

Philly home show is this weekend. We're going to get bathroom remodel ideas.

Side note: Lisa got puppy to use the litter box regularly. So all the dog pee is now concentrated on the tiny alleyway thing on the side of the house. WIN. We might have a real backyard this year.

Detroit
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:56 pm

Johnny_P wrote:

Side note: Lisa got puppy to use the litter box regularly. So all the dog pee is now concentrated on the tiny alleyway thing on the side of the house. WIN. We might have a real backyard this year.
:ohdang: :notbad:
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

wap

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:24 pm

Johnny_P wrote:

:fuckyeah:

and :fuckyeah :impressive: :doge:

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:14 pm

The apartment that I linked last week got rented the same day :(

We found another 2bed 2bath with a garage, two reserved driveway parking spots, a little patio in front, a private patio/storage area in the back, and central AC from the same company for slightly less since it's a little older and not quite as nice as the first one. $2300/month :notbad: Michelle went to look at it Monday and liked it so put down a $200 holding fee, then I went last night to look with her and we agreed to rent it. They need to fix a few things before we move in on the 22nd, but overall it's nice. Condos that were converted into apartments by this company, so the ceiling in the living area is nice a high. Kitchen is a little small, but workable and has a little dining area separating it from the living room. Lots of storage which I'm missing now, two big overhead (overhood) things in the garage, caot closet when you walk in, cupboards in the hallways, and a little built in desk nook in the living/dining area.

We'll probably get one of those faux grass pee box things for the dogs in the back patio/walkway thing, and put a doggie door in the sliding glass door that leads out there.

Only thing I don't love is the closets are all sliding mirror doors, even the coat closet when you walk in the front door. Bedroom one is cool for :dock: I guess, but I'll probably take those down and hang solid ones and just store the mirror ones or something.

I'll post up some pics when we get the keys on the 22nd since they already took the listing down.

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:22 pm

SAWCE wrote:

We found another 2bed 2bath with a garage, two reserved driveway parking spots, a little patio in front, a private patio/storage area in the back, and central AC from the same company for slightly less since it's a little older and not quite as nice as the first one. $2300/month :notbad: Michelle went to look at it Monday and liked it so put down a $200 holding fee, then I went last night to look with her and we agreed to rent it. They need to fix a few things before we move in on the 22nd, but overall it's nice. Condos that were converted into apartments by this company, so the ceiling in the living area is nice a high. Kitchen is a little small, but workable and has a little dining area separating it from the living room. Lots of storage which I'm missing now, two big overhead (overhood) things in the garage, caot closet when you walk in, cupboards in the hallways, and a little built in desk nook in the living/dining area.

We'll probably get one of those faux grass pee box things for the dogs in the back patio/walkway thing, and put a doggie door in the sliding glass door that leads out there.

Only thing I don't love is the closets are all sliding mirror doors, even the coat closet when you walk in the front door. Bedroom one is cool for :dock: I guess, but I'll probably take those down and hang solid ones and just store the mirror ones or something.

I'll post up some pics when we get the keys on the 22nd since they already took the listing down.
glad yall found a place you like

2300 :wtf: 's on the price
Weekly :fax:
Mario Andretti wrote: It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down.

Apex
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: TrukYeah!

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:24 pm

SAWCE wrote:

:fuckyeah: Glad to see you guys getting along again, and taking things a little slower this time around.

:jelly: of the garage!

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:38 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
SAWCE wrote:

Dude pricing out here sucks. As soon as Michelle is done with her licensing program I'm going to be pushing for us to GTFO of San Diego specifically and all of California hopefully.

I pay $1495 for a 450sqft 1 bed 1 bath place right now :thisisfine: Of course having the dogs make those prices higher than they would be by a few hundred since it's hard to find places that allow large "agressive" breed dogs.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:39 pm

Apex wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:24 pm
SAWCE wrote:

:fuckyeah: Glad to see you guys getting along again, and taking things a little slower this time around.

:jelly: of the garage!
Garage will definitely be nice. Kinda sucks that the two parking spaces are tandem behind it, but that just means I'll probably always have the garage and she can park behind me since she doesn't drive :manuel: and then I can take/move her car as needed.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 pm

New place is .8 miles from my gym, instead of my current 1.2 miles :megusta: :lol:

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:58 pm

SAWCE wrote:
golftdibrad wrote:

Dude pricing out here sucks. As soon as Michelle is done with her licensing program I'm going to be pushing for us to GTFO of San Diego specifically and all of California hopefully.

I pay $1495 for a 450sqft 1 bed 1 bath place right now :thisisfine: Of course having the dogs make those prices higher than they would be by a few hundred since it's hard to find places that allow large "agressive" breed dogs.
yea i know this in my mind, but seeing 2300 in print for a rental 2 br... :gag:
Weekly :fax:
Mario Andretti wrote: It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:59 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:58 pm
SAWCE wrote:

yea i know this in my mind, but seeing 2300 in print for a rental 2 br... :gag:
I was really trying to find something that would allow the :doge: for under 2k, but they were just shitholes and still just under 2k at like $1900

• Information