Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:46 pm
:mindblown:

That's terrible. Is it a 5 gallon bucket or do you need a different shower head or ?
I don't know what the issue is. Could just be 25 years of sediment buildup in the base of the heater, lol. Also has to go up 2 floors of uninsulated piping to get to the bathroom, that ain't helping anyone.

Would be nice to sledgehammer that bathroom too. Hm.
My bathroom is up 2 floors, the water heater seems no larger than others I've seen, but it is 5 years old. All copper plumbing up to bathroom. I can take a 15 minute hot shower, wife can right after, and we can do the dishes without running out of hot water.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:25 pm

Tankless won't save that much really. It's double the cost in material alone. But endless shower sounds nice. I deplete the hot water after a single shower at my house, like 10-15 mins it's donezo. Could remedy that with a larger water heater though.

I guess the expansion tank is cheap enough that it's NBD to just add it and a check valve.

That's terrible. Is it a 5 gallon bucket or do you need a different shower head or ?
Yeah something is wrong, but on the other hand something HAS TO BE WRONG. Water heaters don't last 25 years.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:54 pm

Yeah something is wrong, but on the other hand something HAS TO BE WRONG. Water heaters don't last 25 years.
The one at my last house was pushing 25 years without a hint of issue. Granted, I expected it to go at any moment, but it's not my problem anymore.

:lolol:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:54 pm Yeah something is wrong, but on the other hand something HAS TO BE WRONG. Water heaters don't last 25 years.
The one at my last house was pushing 25 years without a hint of issue. Granted, I expected it to go at any moment, but it's not my problem anymore.

Imageol:
Yeah, they can last 30 sometimes - you're just asking for catastrophic failure at that point.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:51 pm

I don't know what the issue is. Could just be 25 years of sediment buildup in the base of the heater, lol. Also has to go up 2 floors of uninsulated piping to get to the bathroom, that ain't helping anyone.

My bathroom is up 2 floors, the water heater seems no larger than others I've seen, but it is 5 years old. All copper plumbing up to bathroom. I can take a 15 minute hot shower, wife can right after, and we can do the dishes without running out of hot water.
Yeah hence why I want to nuke this one.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:57 pm
Detroit wrote:The one at my last house was pushing 25 years without a hint of issue. Granted, I expected it to go at any moment, but it's not my problem anymore.

Imageol:
Yeah, they can last 30 sometimes - you're just asking for catastrophic failure at that point.
If we didn't move, it was on my list of things to replace this year.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:41 pm Water heaters: Tankless or tank?

Ours is 25 years old :yikes: time to replace it. I think the cold water dip tube is gone inside the unit because water at the tap will oscillate between hot and cold. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to go tankless. Something to keep in mind, the exhaust is what it is, I can't exactly upgrade the exhaust size at all because it goes to a common chimney tied to the boiler. It's like 4" or something.

Also, do I need an expansion tank on the cold inlet line to the water heater? Currently doesn't have one.
you prob dont have the gas plumbing and or exhaust capacity to go tankless without major work, just replace in kind.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:02 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:57 pm Yeah, they can last 30 sometimes - you're just asking for catastrophic failure at that point.
They are quite inexpensive vs. the damage they can do upon failure....unless its just in an unfinished basement.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:02 pm
They are quite inexpensive vs. the damage they can do upon failure....unless its just in an unfinished basement.
No, it was a mostly finished basement. We just had so much other pinshitting going on that I didn't think about it until the spring, when we started talking about new houses. Took the gamble that if we decided to move, nobody would care about the water heater (and it would survive long enough), and fortunately was right on both counts.
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:41 pm Water heaters: Tankless or tank?

Ours is 25 years old :yikes: time to replace it. I think the cold water dip tube is gone inside the unit because water at the tap will oscillate between hot and cold. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to go tankless. Something to keep in mind, the exhaust is what it is, I can't exactly upgrade the exhaust size at all because it goes to a common chimney tied to the boiler. It's like 4" or something.

Also, do I need an expansion tank on the cold inlet line to the water heater? Currently doesn't have one.
you prob dont have the gas plumbing and or exhaust capacity to go tankless without major work, just replace in kind.
The more I’m looking into it I think you’re right on the exhaust at least.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:20 pm

The gas supply issue is no joke too. A lot of older houses dont have enough capacity from the main line from the utility. Heating water is vv energy intensive.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Truthfully, a regular replacement should be just fine for your needs. Considering the cost and logistics, that's the way I'd go for sure.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:31 pm

Truthfully, a regular replacement should be just fine for your needs. Considering the cost and logistics, that's the way I'd go for sure.
Yep. Might try and get this done this weekend.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:31 pm
Yep. Might try and get this done this weekend.
:popcorn:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:49 pm AFAIK you will need an expansion tank if you pay someone else (licensed) to do it. Those became required recently here at least so they're probably required in your hood too.

Tankless is better (instant on, infinite capacity) but costs more - if you plan on staying there long term then consider it, otherwise might as well skip it.
Tankless won't save that much really. It's double the cost in material alone. But endless shower sounds nice. I deplete the hot water after a single shower at my house, like 10-15 mins it's donezo. Could remedy that with a larger water heater though.

I guess the expansion tank is cheap enough that it's NBD to just add it and a check valve.
What size is your current tank?

What is your fuel source, gas or oil?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:47 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:46 pm

Yep I feel like Wall Street lives by rules that are unknown to me.
Same.
:dat:
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:51 pm

Same here. How many gallons is your tank?
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:56 pm

:lolol:
:fuckyeah: :lolol:
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:27 pm

The gas supply issue is no joke too. A lot of older houses dont have enough capacity from the main line from the utility. Heating water is vv energy intensive.
This is why I asked him what his energy source was. When we put in our whole- :haus: generator a few years ago we ended up having to upgrade our gas supply pipe from the main line in the middle of the street. Our gas company came out and did it and it cost us a few grand. :disgust:
It was interesting to see how they drilled horizontally under our concrete driveway. I was worried about them having to cut a trench through it.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

mine was OG vintage 1981. Lasted til the bottom was so rusted out from heat it couldnt hold a pilot light. Replaced in 2016. :iono:

if you replace the sacrificial element rod, they do pretty well.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

MIchelle and I are gonna go check this place out

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa ... 70265.html

Not a terrible price considering most of the utilities are included, plus it has a washer and dryer, and you get a garage, all of which are very rare out here.

Same neighborhood we're both in now, but on the other side of one of the main roads, and I don't venture over there much, so not super sure about it, but it's close enough to me that I can drive by at various times and get a feel for things.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:31 pm

What size is your current tank?

What is your fuel source, gas or oil?
40 gal, gas, 32k BTU/hr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:57 pm MIchelle and I are gonna go check this place out

Not a terrible price considering most of the utilities are included, plus it has a washer and dryer, and you get a garage, all of which are very rare out here.

Same neighborhood we're both in now, but on the other side of one of the main roads, and I don't venture over there much, so not super sure about it, but it's close enough to me that I can drive by at various times and get a feel for things.
:notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:57 pm MIchelle and I are gonna go check this place out

Oh wow, :notbad:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:30 pm

:notbad:
Splitting rent there drops my payment about $350/month too. And it’s the same PM company I’m renting from now and they’re cool with large dogs, so this is likely going to happen.