Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
25
68%
Rent it
7
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
3
8%
:dong: grabbing frat house
1
3%
At school
0
No votes
I'm nomadic
1
3%
 
Total votes: 37
User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 21880
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: Kamry XSE

Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:21 pm

Detroit wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:17 pm
max225 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:16 pm


We’re correcting at twice the rate of the other parts of the country ... that’s the scary part
You also grew at twice the rate. Tech was insane for a while. What goes up...
As did the revenue and profit.... there hasn’t been a decrease in that ...

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 30258
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:26 pm

max225 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:21 pm
Detroit wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:17 pm

You also grew at twice the rate. Tech was insane for a while. What goes up...
As did the revenue and profit.... there hasn’t been a decrease in that ...
Other industries have posted record revenue and profit with minimal movement in the stock price, auto for example.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 21880
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: Kamry XSE

Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:28 pm

Detroit wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:26 pm
max225 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:21 pm

As did the revenue and profit.... there hasn’t been a decrease in that ...
Other industries have posted record revenue and profit with minimal movement in the stock price, auto for example.
Our stock dropped 20% after posting the best ever quarter performance. Because it wasn’t beating the guidance by more ... there is a lot of :fullretard: shit going on right now...

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 30258
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:29 pm

max225 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:28 pm
Detroit wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:26 pm

Other industries have posted record revenue and profit with minimal movement in the stock price, auto for example.
Our stock dropped 20% after posting the best ever quarter performance. Because it wasn’t beating the guidance by more ... there is a lot of :fullretard: shit going on right now...
"Guidance"

Such BS.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 21880
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: Kamry XSE

Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Detroit wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:29 pm
max225 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:28 pm

Our stock dropped 20% after posting the best ever quarter performance. Because it wasn’t beating the guidance by more ... there is a lot of :fullretard: shit going on right now...
"Guidance"

Such BS.
:iono: I work on this type of stuff. There is a lot of :math: that goes into it. The market expectations are just insane as of now.

If you made $100 last year ... guide to $105 this year, hit $110, but then drop because you didn’t hit $120 ... is some :fullretard: shit
Last edited by max225 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 13774
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:15 am
Drives: Hot Rod Lincoln
Location: Hoth

Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:35 pm

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
troyguitar wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:52 pm
How are your taxes so low? :scrooge:
We generally pay roughly 1.1% on the assessed value of the property.
Fuck. That might be the cheapest in the country combined with the lack of assessments keeping up with real market value... No wonder everyone wants to own CA property.

Don't sell it Max, rent it out.

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 30258
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:09 pm

max225 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:31 pm
Detroit wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:29 pm

"Guidance"

Such BS.
:iono: I work on this type of stuff. There is a lot of :math: that goes into it. The market expectations are just insane as of now.

If you made $100 last year ... guide to $105 this year hit $110 but the drop because you didn’t hit $120 ... is some
:fullretard: shit
Oh, I"m well aware of the :math: I just think it's :bs: that if you don't blow "guidance" out of the water, you're failing.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 21880
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: Kamry XSE

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:13 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:35 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:
We generally pay roughly 1.1% on the assessed value of the property.
Fuck. That might be the cheapest in the country combined with the lack of assessments keeping up with real market value... No wonder everyone wants to own CA property.

Don't sell it Max, rent it out.
Rent barely covers my expenses. And I would pay taxes on said income and deal with crotchfruit destroying my property due to the number of bedrooms.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 21880
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: Kamry XSE

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:15 pm

California taxes are misleading as we have high income and sales taxes to make up for the “Low” property taxes. Also prop taxes are tax deductible ... I’d much rather pay those than income taxes or sales taxes :disgust:

User avatar
troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 13774
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:15 am
Drives: Hot Rod Lincoln
Location: Hoth

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:19 pm

max225 wrote:California taxes are misleading as we have high income and sales taxes to make up for the “Low” property taxes. Also prop taxes are tax deductible ... I’d much rather pay those than income taxes or sales taxes :disgust:
Move to NY and pay all 3, plus shovel snow!

You guys really have a paradise down there.

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 30258
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:23 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:19 pm
max225 wrote:California taxes are misleading as we have high income and sales taxes to make up for the “Low” property taxes. Also prop taxes are tax deductible ... I’d much rather pay those than income taxes or sales taxes :disgust:
Move to NY and pay all 3, plus shovel snow!

You guys really have a paradise down there.
Sales tax is 8-10%, base income tax is the highest in the nation at 7.25%

It's a great place to own a house, never buy anything, and not work. Which is impossible.

What I've learned is that everything is a trade-off. I pay higher property taxes in MI, but way lower income tax (probably half based off CA brackets). With property tax deductible, that's a reasonable trade off NET, but the cash flow is similar.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 21880
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: Kamry XSE

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:31 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:19 pm
max225 wrote:California taxes are misleading as we have high income and sales taxes to make up for the “Low” property taxes. Also prop taxes are tax deductible ... I’d much rather pay those than income taxes or sales taxes :disgust:
Move to NY and pay all 3, plus shovel snow!

You guys really have a paradise down there.
I don’t plan on moving out of the bay

User avatar
troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 13774
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:15 am
Drives: Hot Rod Lincoln
Location: Hoth

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:32 pm

The deduction is :fakenews: now that it's piled into the $10k cap for SALT.

Try 8% sales, 6% income, and 4.5% property tax. CA folks might pay less than we do in KY, let alone the fucked up NY rates. CA taxes are low.

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32429
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:41 pm

Water heaters: Tankless or tank?

Ours is 25 years old :yikes: time to replace it. I think the cold water dip tube is gone inside the unit because water at the tap will oscillate between hot and cold. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to go tankless. Something to keep in mind, the exhaust is what it is, I can't exactly upgrade the exhaust size at all because it goes to a common chimney tied to the boiler. It's like 4" or something.

Also, do I need an expansion tank on the cold inlet line to the water heater? Currently doesn't have one.

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 30258
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:45 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:41 pm
Water heaters: Tankless or tank?

Ours is 25 years old :yikes: time to replace it. I think the cold water dip tube is gone inside the unit because water at the tap will oscillate between hot and cold. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to go tankless. Something to keep in mind, the exhaust is what it is, I can't exactly upgrade the exhaust size at all because it goes to a common chimney tied to the boiler. It's like 4" or something.

Also, do I need an expansion tank on the cold inlet line to the water heater? Currently doesn't have one.
:popcorn:

I honestly don't know the answers to your questions, but looking forward to see if anyone else does.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 13774
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:15 am
Drives: Hot Rod Lincoln
Location: Hoth

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:49 pm

Johnny_P wrote:Water heaters: Tankless or tank?

Ours is 25 years old :yikes: time to replace it. I think the cold water dip tube is gone inside the unit because water at the tap will oscillate between hot and cold. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to go tankless. Something to keep in mind, the exhaust is what it is, I can't exactly upgrade the exhaust size at all because it goes to a common chimney tied to the boiler. It's like 4" or something.

Also, do I need an expansion tank on the cold inlet line to the water heater? Currently doesn't have one.
AFAIK you will need an expansion tank if you pay someone else (licensed) to do it. Those became required recently here at least so they're probably required in your hood too.

Tankless is better (instant on, infinite capacity) but costs more - if you plan on staying there long term then consider it, otherwise might as well skip it.

User avatar
Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Posts: 8276
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:31 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:01 pm

max225 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:16 pm
Detroit wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:13 pm

A market correction was due. I really think it's too early to panic that the sky is falling, but I can see your concern with slowing appreciation of real estate. Might be the right time to get out...
We’re correcting at twice the rate of the other parts of the country ... that’s the scary part
Yeah but Apple was trading around current levels in October of 2017.....so you had fanboi appreciation at twice the rate of the other parts of the country. That's the whole dealo with the pay area.....you have to take into account meteoric rise before you start the pity party. Apple has a bunch of cash, what's your opinion on buying at current levels....sweet deal, about right, or is it headed to $100/share?
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

User avatar
Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Posts: 8276
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:31 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:03 pm

Detroit wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:17 pm
max225 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:16 pm


We’re correcting at twice the rate of the other parts of the country ... that’s the scary part
You also grew at twice the rate. Tech was insane for a while. What goes up...
I just said this. Reading fail.
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

User avatar
Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Posts: 8276
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:31 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:05 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:35 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:
We generally pay roughly 1.1% on the assessed value of the property.
Fuck. That might be the cheapest in the country combined with the lack of assessments keeping up with real market value... No wonder everyone wants to own CA property.

Don't sell it Max, rent it out.
With the good comes the bad.
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

User avatar
Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Posts: 8276
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:31 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:16 pm

max225 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:13 pm
troyguitar wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:35 pm
Fuck. That might be the cheapest in the country combined with the lack of assessments keeping up with real market value... No wonder everyone wants to own CA property.

Don't sell it Max, rent it out.
Rent barely covers my expenses. And I would pay taxes on said income and deal with crotchfruit destroying my property due to the number of bedrooms.
I don't think you can time this perfectly unless you're lucky AF. But I don't know how wrong you can go.....life is about more than just asset appreciation. If you're still moving forward with Operation Mark 2, this is as good a time as any to cash out and see if anyone can tolerate you IRL.
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 21880
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: Kamry XSE

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:21 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:01 pm
max225 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:16 pm


We’re correcting at twice the rate of the other parts of the country ... that’s the scary part
Yeah but Apple was trading around current levels in October of 2017.....so you had fanboi appreciation at twice the rate of the other parts of the country. That's the whole dealo with the pay area.....you have to take into account meteoric rise before you start the pity party. Apple has a bunch of cash, what's your opinion on buying at current levels....sweet deal, about right, or is it headed to $100/share?
I would stay out of the market, I have been telling that to everyone, regardless of company, it is moving irrationaly and unpredictably with no :math: behind it.

Now I don't know if "selling" is right, right now, due to the epic shaving of appreciation or whatever you want. If your bond bro is getting you 5% why are you looking at this even... I'd stick with that. That's above inflation and nearly 100% safe.

Everything I have taken out I have put into savings at 2.05% which allows for 100% liquidity right now.

The real question do I sell FB which I bought for 133 2 years ago or no... I can't believe I fucked that meteoric rise up.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 21880
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: Kamry XSE

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:22 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:16 pm
max225 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:13 pm


Rent barely covers my expenses. And I would pay taxes on said income and deal with crotchfruit destroying my property due to the number of bedrooms.
I don't think you can time this perfectly unless you're lucky AF. But I don't know how wrong you can go.....life is about more than just asset appreciation. If you're still moving forward with Operation Mark 2, this is as good a time as any to cash out and see if anyone can tolerate you IRL.
There are some other minor downsides like not having a car and having a much longer public transit commute. But plenty do it at work no problem.

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32429
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:25 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:49 pm
Johnny_P wrote:Water heaters: Tankless or tank?

Ours is 25 years old :yikes: time to replace it. I think the cold water dip tube is gone inside the unit because water at the tap will oscillate between hot and cold. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to go tankless. Something to keep in mind, the exhaust is what it is, I can't exactly upgrade the exhaust size at all because it goes to a common chimney tied to the boiler. It's like 4" or something.

Also, do I need an expansion tank on the cold inlet line to the water heater? Currently doesn't have one.
AFAIK you will need an expansion tank if you pay someone else (licensed) to do it. Those became required recently here at least so they're probably required in your hood too.

Tankless is better (instant on, infinite capacity) but costs more - if you plan on staying there long term then consider it, otherwise might as well skip it.
Tankless won't save that much really. It's double the cost in material alone. But endless shower sounds nice. I deplete the hot water after a single shower at my house, like 10-15 mins it's donezo. Could remedy that with a larger water heater though.

I guess the expansion tank is cheap enough that it's NBD to just add it and a check valve.

User avatar
Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Posts: 8276
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:31 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:26 pm

max225 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:21 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:01 pm


Yeah but Apple was trading around current levels in October of 2017.....so you had fanboi appreciation at twice the rate of the other parts of the country. That's the whole dealo with the pay area.....you have to take into account meteoric rise before you start the pity party. Apple has a bunch of cash, what's your opinion on buying at current levels....sweet deal, about right, or is it headed to $100/share?
I would stay out of the market, I have been telling that to everyone, regardless of company, it is moving irrationaly and unpredictably with no :math: behind it.

Now I don't know if "selling" is right, right now, due to the epic shaving of appreciation or whatever you want. If your bond bro is getting you 5% why are you looking at this even... I'd stick with that. That's above inflation and nearly 100% safe.

Everything I have taken out I have put into savings at 2.05% which allows for 100% liquidity right now.

The real question do I sell FB which I bought for 133 2 years ago or no... I can't believe I fucked that meteoric rise up.
Other than 401K contributions we are just saving cash at this point and feeling pretty dang good about it.
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 21880
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: Kamry XSE

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:31 pm

Apple is truly back to April 2017 (nearly 2 years ago)... so why do you think it is ok for a company to lose 40% share value when they are growing 15-20% every quarter.... what other company that size is growing at that rate? I can tell you right now 0.

They are deserving of a high stock price. Yet they lost value. :fullretard: this type of market is incredibly dangerous, people come up with fictitious shit to justify prices and you can't count on sound logic and financials to make a decision because it can just drop for now reason.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest