Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I ran 10 and 20 year estimates and it actually doesn't get any better in Corning. Buying starts gaining some ground past 20 years - but wouldn't break even until we're dead.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:56 pm I ran 10 and 20 year estimates and it actually doesn't get any better in Corning. Buying starts gaining some ground past 20 years - but wouldn't break even until we're dead.
In a few years, the equation will likely be different.

Shit is going to come down.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:56 pm I ran 10 and 20 year estimates and it actually doesn't get any better in Corning. Buying starts gaining some ground past 20 years - but wouldn't break even until we're dead.
In a few years, the equation will likely be different.

Shit is going to come down.
It's not the prices at all, it's the taxes plus interest plus LACK of appreciation. 4-5% taxes plus 5% interest does not compute when you only make 1-2% in appreciation.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Some kids decided to push over my mailbox last week. Meh, I didn't really care because it was rotting anyways. It's just a cheap box with two square tubes running into cement. When I dug it up I found that it's actually only about 8" deep of cement. They only went that deep because where the put the mailbox, there's something that's concrete under it really close to the surface. I didn't care to find out what it was, so I just moved my mailbox to the other side of the sidewalk.

$30 post from teh Lowez, had the Quikrete from our fence install. Cheap fix.
Bitch was rotted. Making it easy for the neighborhood kiddos to take their aggression out on it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:25 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 pm :butwhy:
But why not? They don't need a "home office," its temporary, and renting "room for guests" is for chumps.
:dat:

The three cars will all live inside a nice locked up garage at this place. The working on cars thing will definitely take a hit, but I have friends'family with room for that sort of stuff. It will only be for a year or two.

Regrettably, the one bedroom is all we ended up being able to "afford" in our budget in the areas we want to be in. The whole reason for the move (and for the $177K price) is that the townhouse we live in is an hour in traffic away from everything. Fuck that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:53 pm I would not buy anything in this market. Selling and renting is the smartest thing you can do financially right now.
Fingers crossed you're right.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:53 pm I would not buy anything in this market. Selling and renting is the smartest thing you can do financially right now.
Don't know how you can go wrong. Economy is on the verge of recession, interest rates increasing, consumer sentiment is sure to drop, property values are going to weaken. Doubt they'll tank, but it's a great time to rent something if you already cashed out. See where things are in a year or so, might be a great time to score a deal this time next year.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:43 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Don't know how you can go wrong. Economy is on the verge of recession, interest rates increasing, consumer sentiment is sure to drop, property values are going to weaken. Doubt they'll tank, but it's a great time to rent something if you already cashed out. See where things are in a year or so, might be a great time to score a deal this time next year.
Wish I had the :balls: to do this. We'd walk with one heck of a chunk of change, but that shit isn't real unless you sell. That 0% ROI equity, doe. :facepalm:
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:43 am Don't know how you can go wrong. Economy is on the verge of recession, interest rates increasing, consumer sentiment is sure to drop, property values are going to weaken. Doubt they'll tank, but it's a great time to rent something if you already cashed out. See where things are in a year or so, might be a great time to score a deal this time next year.
Wish I had the :balls: to do this. We'd walk with one heck of a chunk of change, but that shit isn't real unless you sell. That 0% ROI equity, doe. :facepalm:
Right. 0% until you sell.

Makes no sense if you're in a place you're happy with. Might as well just stay put.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:55 pm Right. 0% until you sell.

Makes no sense if you're in a place you're happy with. Might as well just stay put.
I mean really it's a 0% return on equity regardless. If you buy a $200k home and sell it for $250k, you walk with that $50k regardless of whether you put $0 down or $40k down.

We love the place aside from the terrible garage, but we've been on the lookout for a 4 bedroom just because. Problem is, prices for a 4 bedroom place in our neighborhood have gone :fullretard:, even one that needs a good amount of work will cost you a half mil. A nice one is more like $700k on up to or over a $1M. If we had the guts to sell now and squirrel away the money until prices fall, we might be able to move into a bigger place without having the leave the 'hood.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:55 pm Right. 0% until you sell.

I mean really it's a 0% return on equity regardless. If you buy a $200k home and sell it for $250k, you walk with that $50k regardless of whether you put $0 down or $40k down.

We love the place aside from the terrible garage, but we've been on the lookout for a 4 bedroom just because. Problem is, prices for a 4 bedroom place in our neighborhood have gone :fullretard:, even one that needs a good amount of work will cost you a half mil. A nice one is more like $700k on up to or over a $1M. If we had the guts to sell now and squirrel away the money until prices fall, we might be able to move into a bigger place without having the leave the 'hood.
Well yea, assuming you can get a mortgage with 0% down. You can't last I checked.

Prices in most desirable places have gone :fullretard:

You either sell at this high and rent until the market tanks, or buy something below market value as a fixer upper or the like. We did the latter, but spent months looking with a realtor, and got us in on our house where the previous owners weren't in touch with the neighborhood values. We got it THE DAY it listed. It's the only way to get "good deals" anymore.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Hopefully I will actually make it out... but :mahtroy: luck is strong here... and I'll be paying more for rent than mortgage... however i'll be "freeing" up an enormous amount of money that I can put in savings that gives me 2% at the moment... and lack of prop taxes which are 6k a year for now...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:55 am
Hopefully I will actually make it out... but :mahtroy: luck is strong here... and I'll be paying more for rent than mortgage... however i'll be "freeing" up an enormous amount of money that I can put in savings that gives me 2% at the moment... and lack of prop taxes which are 6k a year for now...
I dunno if I'd cash out yet if I were you. Is there really a peak to your market? With Chinese investment and tech still rampant on wallstreet, I think there's still atrong upside. But I doubt you'll really give up a ton. Now is a solid time to hoard cash in savings, and that's way safer than betting it on any market.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
How are your taxes so low? :scrooge:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:52 am
max225 wrote:
Bought a while back.... and Cali prop taxes are only around 1.x% and are capped to only increase up to 4% a year
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:52 am
max225 wrote:
We generally pay roughly 1.1% on the assessed value of the property.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:17 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:55 am

I dunno if I'd cash out yet if I were you. Is there really a peak to your market? With Chinese investment and tech still rampant on wallstreet, I think there's still atrong upside. But I doubt you'll really give up a ton. Now is a solid time to hoard cash in savings, and that's way safer than betting it on any market.
We’ve been hit really hard with the stock market. While rest of country is “down” 15-20% most Bay Area stocks are down 40-60% this is how people get paid here. Essentially peoples pay got cut 30-60%. I can explain in another thread ... also since house prices are no longer appreciating, Chinese are no longer investing.... coupled with regular folks being pinched by 5% interest ... it is the perfect storm ... not to mention a shit Ton of new supply coming to market ...

Look at apple today $142 they peaked at $220 5 months ago
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:07 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:17 am
We’ve been hit really hard with the stock market. While rest of country is “down” 15-20% most Bay Area stocks are down 40-60% this is how people get paid here. Essentially peoples pay got cut 30-60%. I can explain in another thread ... also since house prices are no longer appreciating, Chinese are no longer investing.... coupled with regular folks being pinched by 5% interest ... it is the perfect storm ... not to mention a shit Ton of new supply coming to market ...

A market correction was due. I really think it's too early to panic that the sky is falling, but I can see your concern with slowing appreciation of real estate. Might be the right time to get out...
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:13 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:07 am

A market correction was due. I really think it's too early to panic that the sky is falling, but I can see your concern with slowing appreciation of real estate. Might be the right time to get out...
We’re correcting at twice the rate of the other parts of the country ... that’s the scary part
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:16 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:13 am
We’re correcting at twice the rate of the other parts of the country ... that’s the scary part
You also grew at twice the rate. Tech was insane for a while. What goes up...
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:17 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:16 am

As did the revenue and profit.... there hasn’t been a decrease in that ...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:21 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:17 am
Other industries have posted record revenue and profit with minimal movement in the stock price, auto for example.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:26 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:21 am
Other industries have posted record revenue and profit with minimal movement in the stock price, auto for example.
Our stock dropped 20% after posting the best ever quarter performance. Because it wasn’t beating the guidance by more ... there is a lot of :fullretard: shit going on right now...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:28 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:26 am
Our stock dropped 20% after posting the best ever quarter performance. Because it wasn’t beating the guidance by more ... there is a lot of :fullretard: shit going on right now...
"Guidance"

Such BS.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:29 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:28 am
"Guidance"

Such BS.
:iono: I work on this type of stuff. There is a lot of :math: that goes into it. The market expectations are just insane as of now.

If you made $100 last year ... guide to $105 this year, hit $110, but then drop because you didn’t hit $120 ... is some :fullretard: shit
Last edited by max225 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.