Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:04 pm Prestone universal stuff works in everything! :scrooge:
:dat:

But only if it's OAT coolant.

Don't mix Prestone with HOAT coolant, in that case you want Zerex G-05.
:csb:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:04 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:00 pm :csb:
Nah bruh, cereal issue. Silicates precipitate out when they're mixed. :science:
:fancy: :koolaid:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

QUEUE the MAX jeep :koolaid:

Look how great it holds together during small over lap/side impact etc. Looks incredibly safe. Fuck the useless walking meat bag pedestrians! Occupancy shell completely intact, no intrusion etc. THE JEEP IS A TANK! I have never seen a car perform this well.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

max225 wrote:

Look how great it holds together during small over lap/side impact etc. Looks incredibly safe. Fuck the useless walking meat bag pedestrians! Occupancy shell completely intact, no intrusion etc. THE JEEP IS A TANK! I have never seen a car perform this well.
I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand it's awesome that its a tank and comparatively untouched, on the other i wonder how the shock/impact absorption was as that's damage that is not immediately visible in a video (since its dummy sensor based). Basically great if you plow into another car that absorbs all the impact but shit if you hit a barricade, wall, sumo wrestler, or other hard object.

Though the rating is pretty shit considering how it is weighted heavily in favor of driver/safety-assists and having kids the the backseat, which shouldn't be as big of a factor considering the target audience and the 2-door variant (which would be interesting to see as well). Testing a car for soccer mom purposes should be a separate category imo, like "good for adults, but bad for children, because well its a jeep".... Ultimately the problem with ratings is they paint black/white.

What do you guys make of it, since my opinion is very subjective and i quite honestly don't know much technical stuff w/ cars.
max225

SaxyJeep wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:20 pm
max225 wrote:

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand it's awesome that its a tank and comparatively untouched, on the other i wonder how the shock/impact absorption was as that's damage that is not immediately visible in a video (since its dummy sensor based). Basically great if you plow into another car that absorbs all the impact but shit if you hit a barricade, wall, sumo wrestler, or other hard object.

Though the rating is pretty shit considering how it is weighted heavily in favor of driver/safety-assists and having kids the the backseat, which shouldn't be as big of a factor considering the target audience and the 2-door variant (which would be interesting to see as well). Testing a car for soccer mom purposes should be a separate category imo, like "good for adults, but bad for children, because well its a jeep".... Ultimately the problem with ratings is they paint black/white.

What do you guys make of it, since my opinion is very subjective and i quite honestly don't know much technical stuff w/ cars.
If you’re worried about this imagine it plowing into a corolla. It’s about as safe as you can get today.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote:

I like how the occupant cage stays the same in every shot, no crushed feet etc. I'd chose this over most vehicles if I were barreling towards a guard rail.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote:

You could say it shouldn't be docked because it doesn't have crash avoidance stuff. But here's the reality. You hit something at 40 you'll live. Hit it at 70 and NGH. Crash avoidance / mitigation stuff is about bringing that closing speed down to something where the car can actually protect you, or avoiding it all together. We've basically reached the limit on what a car's structure itself combined with air bags can do to protect you because damage to a person is related to high-G acceleration, and the only way to reduce the acceleration is to increase the time. Crash structures increase the time duration of an impact. So there's a finite limit on what it can do since you're working with what, 3 feet of crumple zone? If you can work with 100 feet of slam the brakes you could come out in WAY better shape.

In theory, crash avoidance stuff avoiding one single accident, or reducing it at least, pays itself off fully. Medical costs are astronomical in this country.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Johnny_P wrote:
SaxyJeep wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:20 pm I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand it's awesome that its a tank and comparatively untouched, on the other i wonder how the shock/impact absorption was as that's damage that is not immediately visible in a video (since its dummy sensor based). Basically great if you plow into another car that absorbs all the impact but shit if you hit a barricade, wall, sumo wrestler, or other hard object.

You could say it shouldn't be docked because it doesn't have crash avoidance stuff. But here's the reality. You hit something at 40 you'll live. Hit it at 70 and NGH. Crash avoidance / mitigation stuff is about bringing that closing speed down to something where the car can actually protect you, or avoiding it all together. We've basically reached the limit on what a car's structure itself combined with air bags can do to protect you because damage to a person is related to high-G acceleration, and the only way to reduce the acceleration is to increase the time. Crash structures increase the time duration of an impact. So there's a finite limit on what it can do since you're working with what, 3 feet of crumple zone? If you can work with 100 feet of slam the brakes you could come out in WAY better shape.

In theory, crash avoidance stuff avoiding one single accident, or reducing it at least, pays itself off fully. Medical costs are astronomical in this country.
I see, that is a very fair point, in that case yea the car is fantastic for survivability as far as structure is concerned, especially when plowing into a soft object like a plastic japanese car, or vice cersa. My concern with the automation aspects is the security of the systems themselves (i work in cyber security), but well, tech integration will come whether i want it or not as the market demands it.

The metal vs plastic is always rather funny to me, as my first car was a Chrysler Sebring and even when i got rear ended at a highway exit, all the damage i had was paint scratch while the other car had a destroyed bumper. American cars ftw

It is interesting to note that the rating is low because it didn't have that tech, yet the report itself states that the European version of the car, available in 2019, will have that tech. You'd think the European bodies would test the European (version) cars.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Everyone's over here freaking out about the European crash ratings of the JL while I'm sitting here wondering when GM is finally going to replace the fucking airbags in my truck.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:04 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:00 pm :csb:
Nah bruh, cereal issue. Silicates precipitate out when they're mixed. :science:
:dat: x10

i get super :triggered: on coolants and :derp: that mix them.

The JKU used 2 diff types of coolants since it had such a long run. The later models even use the new $$$ freon. Lots of weird half year splits on :jeep:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:00 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:55 pm

:fancy: :koolaid:
Grippin' and sippin' on the purple stuff tonight?
:lolol:

Just grippin that :dong:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:18 pm
max225 wrote:
Hmm I kinda sorta hate Will Ferrel so I never have... Same with Adam Sandler. Can't stand that man either.
SHAKE AND BAKE, BITCH
just like :mahtroy: 's coolant apparently.

:koolaid:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:23 pm OATS AND HOATS
It’s the fuckin Catalina transmission mixer.
:lolol:

I missed out on some gold in here yesterday.. :sad:

thanks broken computer at work.

Its otay now, I finished fixing it :doe:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:34 am Everyone's over here freaking out about the European crash ratings of the JL while I'm sitting here wondering when GM is finally going to replace the fucking airbags in my truck.
Airbag replacement? :butwhy:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Does anyone outside of soccer moms actually shop based on safety results?
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex

4zilch wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:54 am Does anyone outside of soccer moms actually shop based on safety results?
Anyone shops on safety results?
troyguitar

4zilch wrote:Does anyone outside of soccer moms actually shop based on safety results?
I just buy light cars with good tires and pay attention, that's my collision avoidance system. :fullretard:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:23 am
4zilch wrote:Does anyone outside of soccer moms actually shop based on safety results?
I just buy light cars with good tires and pay attention, that's my collision avoidance system. :fullretard:
It's all fun and games until the nigerian prince ramz your ass on the freeway while not carrying insurance.:triggered:
Huckleberry

Apex wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:49 am
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:34 am Everyone's over here freaking out about the European crash ratings of the JL while I'm sitting here wondering when GM is finally going to replace the fucking airbags in my truck.
It's part of the Takata recall. However, GM keeps trying to get a government pass by saying the Takata airbags they used in their vehicles are of a different spec than the Takata airbags supplied to every other manufacturer affected by this recall. It has been over two years since I received the recall notice.
Apex

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:55 am

It's part of the Takata recall. However, GM keeps trying to get a government pass by saying the Takata airbags they used in their vehicles are of a different spec than the Takata airbags supplied to every other manufacturer affected by this recall. It has been over two years since I received the recall notice.
:ohdang:
max225

The Entire car is just ready to pop! If the side air bags don’t kill you after hitting a big bump the front airbags will finish the job, God’s plan !
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:09 am

Typical GM things. :rolleyes:
The comfort in :jeep: (lack of) safety is knowing at least it's better than GM, lol
Huckleberry

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:09 am

Typical GM things. :rolleyes:
"It's safe. It's to our specs. Trust us," says the same company that brought us the ignition switch of death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Read that autoblog article on taking a JLU up to northern Canada. Now I want to buy one and road trip aimlessly.

Man. The want is real. I'm serious, take 4 weeks and just fuck off with the GF and dog.