Dramatic Downsizing - Dafuq Do I Doit?

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:38 am Those places are next to the highway on the "wrong side of the tracks" and necessitate 2 car lyfe - it's 35 or so minutes and a river crossing to walk into town. If we go with that kind of route, the answer is basically this place:

https://www.apartments.com/emerald-spri ... y/w92v5wk/

That Emerald complex is actually closer to her office. All of those options are both more money (counting utilities, 2nd car, etc.) and effectively outside of town :doe: so don't satisfy the :rudy: :tits: desire to walk to a hipster restaurant and get a $20 burger while sitting on a hard metal stool in a room that's loud as fuck because acoustic treatments are for big corporations.
Man, it's amazing to see the vast range of property values in different areas of the country. When we went to D.C. I couldn't believe the cost of living. Makes me realize how lucky we've got it down here in Airboat land
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Acid666 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:41 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:31 am
Exactly right. Blasting straight through school does you no favors. I also found that I think I got more out of grad school being able to apply actual real world experience to the education process.

My company hired a bunch of people in a rotational program straight out of grad school. Most have zero experience outside of school and from my experience have proven to be worthless. Company axed the program as part of restructuring, which speaks volumes to their actual value.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for higher education. But I know of a few people who went that route, straight thru and ended up working in their field and hating it. Masters in Education? Have you tried working and teaching a class and not as an understudy for another teacher for what, 5 or 6 weeks? One girl I knew did that, got into teaching high school and quit 2 months later and said she realized she didn't want to teach at all after doing it. Shit. Get your degree, go find work, then decide if you want to go for more education. Unless you're in some specialized degrees where you have to have a BS in Psych or something like that and then you pick your main area of study after to further pinpoint your final destination.
After getting my career in check, I became more of an advocate for the Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs guy) style of thinking where tech schools are great foundations for tons of really good jobs and careers. In a country that over endorsed higher education, you over saturate the market with educated people with zero experience who don't want to take those good paying middle class jobs because they worked and studied for the big jobs.... But they don't exist because there's not enough of them going around, and the baby boomers in those positions aren't retiring to free them up.
:dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat:

I only went to grad school when I realized that not having my MBA was keeping me from where I wanted to go professionally, after having managers/mentors tell me that directly.

There absolutely needs to be more focus put on tech and trade schools in this country. it makes so much sense.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:43 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:17 am

sure, and she is smart to stop the bleeding.

fuck me running though, get your shit together.
Yeah that’s the goal. Cut losses and escape the rat race for 6-12 months while she can, figure out what she wants in life and then just chase it
What's she going to do exactly to "figure out what she wants in life"? Best thing to do is immerse yourself in the rat race of work that you're qualified for and see how it goes and where it takes you.

Sitting around wallowing in self-pity existential woe is me what do I do with my life isn't going to help anything.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:47 am
Yeah that’s the goal. Cut losses and escape the rat race for 6-12 months while she can, figure out what she wants in life and then just chase it
What's she going to do exactly to "figure out what she wants in life"? Best thing to do is immerse yourself in the rat race of work that you're qualified for and see how it goes and where it takes you.

Sitting around wallowing in self-pity existential woe is me what do I do with my life isn't going to help anything.
I agree with you and that’s what i told her as well.

At the end of the day, her plan was to go to family in Peru and Canada and go back to the basics. Get a job wheee she can learn herself and figure out what she really wants. Ideally I think it makes sense for which she is, but logically I don’t think it will work out
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:57 am

I agree with you and that’s what i told her as well.

At the end of the day, her plan was to go to family in Peru and Canada and go back to the basics. Get a job wheee she can learn herself and figure out what she really wants. Ideally I think it makes sense for which she is, but logically I don’t think it will work out
Using family as a crutch won't do anything. It won't force her to figure out who she is or what she wants when she can live for free and can just pet dogs at the local shelter or whatever all day.

Forcing yourself to survive on your own really makes you realize what works and what doesn't and what you want out of life. I was an automotive journalist for years. People are :mindblown: that I ever left that gig. But the pay blew, there was no upper movement, and I was constantly travelling so I never really made friends. It was hindering where I wanted to go in life...but if I lived with my family and didn't have to pay for anything or do any actual adulting, I'd still probably be doing that job today. That's the problem with kids these days, always looking to take the easiest path, when real life is anything but easy, and you need to figure that out for yourself or you're doomed.

:wap:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

all i've learned from that method is I hate everyone and would rather tinker on hobbies forever with out a need for income.

:millennial:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:02 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:57 am I agree with you and that’s what i told her as well.

I was an automotive journalist for years. People are :mindblown: that I ever left that gig. But the pay blew, there was no upper movement, and I was constantly travelling so I never really made friends. It was hindering where I wanted to go in life...but if I lived with my family and didn't have to pay for anything or do any actual adulting, I'd still probably be doing that job today. That's the problem with kids these days, always looking to take the easiest path, when real life is anything but easy, and you need to figure that out for yourself or you're doomed.

Doug and Hoovie seem to be doing okay :iono:

razr390

dubshow wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:03 pm

all i've learned from that method is I hate everyone and would rather tinker on hobbies forever with out a need for income.

So basically, Troy
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:06 pm

So basically, Troy
pretty much. He is my spirit animal.

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

So basically, Troy
Just get a 2006 accord, wishbone suspension baby!!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:02 pm
I was an automotive journalist for years. People are :mindblown: that I ever left that gig. But the pay blew, there was no upper movement, and I was constantly travelling so I never really made friends. It was hindering where I wanted to go in life...but if I lived with my family and didn't have to pay for anything or do any actual adulting, I'd still probably be doing that job today. That's the problem with kids these days, always looking to take the easiest path, when real life is anything but easy, and you need to figure that out for yourself or you're doomed.

The only reason those guys make money is from YouTube monetization, and I can't believe that autotrader doesn't take a cut of their revenue.

YouTube monetization didn't exist when I was in the game. Shame because I would have had the resources to try it.

But really, nobody wants to see a dopey linebacker review cars anyway.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:07 pm

So basically, Troy

:lolgasm:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:09 pm

The only reason those guys make money is from YouTube monetization, and I can't believe that autotrader doesn't take a cut of their revenue.

YouTube monetization didn't exist when I was in the game. Shame because I would have had the resources to try it.

I do. :wub:
Acid666

I'd love to see it. You could find your niche and do something like "BIG MAN, TINY CAR REVIEWS".
I'd subscribe to see a bigger Matt Farah fit into Isseta and Robins.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:11 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:24 am

yea. interesting. Typical : :millennial: cant get life together bullshit.
:dat:

But also why I think a graduate degree is a terrible idea until you spend some time in a field understanding what you want to do. Since it's such a huge investment, you want to make sure it's worth the cost.
I know a few :derp: who are in grad school or masters. One (my cousin) ended up teaching and only making $2k a month, started with a job at some preschool where she ended up driving kids :bruh: so all that money for that???

She finished her undergrad in psychology then she wanted to do teaching, so she ended up doing 2 masters (second as a requirement). Reasons like this is why not graduating on time is not THAT big of a deal, depending on the individuals future desires.

I for one, would rather have my undergrad overdue on a major that I actually really see myself than graduating on time with a major that’s essentially useless for my liking.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

So basically, Troy

I just want to save enough money so that I can quit working and focus on muzak with a side of :drunk: simulator racing.

The biggest issue I have in life is that the best music scenes only exist in crowded :waxer: metro areas where you need to be rich to live. For music that I like, NYC is number one globally by far. Paris is probably number two, then London and maybe L.A.
Acid666

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:11 am

But also why I think a graduate degree is a terrible idea until you spend some time in a field understanding what you want to do. Since it's such a huge investment, you want to make sure it's worth the cost.
I know a few :derp: who are in grad school or masters. One (my cousin) ended up teaching and only making $2k a month, started with a job at some preschool where she ended up driving kids :bruh: so all that money for that???

She finished her undergrad in psychology then she wanted to do teaching, so she ended up doing 2 masters (second as a requirement). Reasons like this is why not graduating on time is not THAT big of a deal, depending on the individuals future desires.
The funny thing about a masters in Education, at least here in Louisiana, is that it will cost you about $21-25K total for that. The pay is public so when you look it up, you see that someone teaching with a Masters is only making maybe $1-2K more per year as opposed to someone with just a regular ole B.S. That would take you 10-20 years to pretty much recoup that cost and make it profitable.
Unless you intend to use it for other purposes.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:13 pm

I'd love to see it. You could find your niche and do something like "BIG MAN, TINY CAR REVIEWS".
Yea, but getting access to those cars and having enough of them to keep content rolling is super difficult. It's also super saturated as everything thinks they can make it big on YouTube these days.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:20 pm

I just want to save enough money so that I can quit working and focus on muzak with a side of :drunk: simulator racing.

The biggest issue I have in life is that the best music scenes only exist in crowded :waxer: metro areas where you need to be rich to live. For music that I like, NYC is number one globally by far. Paris is probably number two, then London and maybe L.A.
Man, music is such a hustle. I can't lie, me and my band gave up. There's a shitty rock/metal scene in my area, and it seems to be getting worse. There's a group called "The Foundry" that meets a few times a year to talk about the scene, how to make it better, what we can do for venues and what they can do for us", and I was gung ho in supporting it when it started. But when I see the other bands not doing shit to promote our shows, or even try to sell pre-sale tickets... It's not worth my time.
And that's not just me bitching about the heavy scene... People down here flock to festival music (Zydeco and cajun), and fucking cover bands. Local magazine puts out an end of the year "best of" list and a few years ago guess who won "Best local band"? A FUCKING COVER BAND.
Blah. It's no wonder big bands skip our town and go straight for Baton Rouge and Nola. The numbers aren't here unless you're Wayne Toups, or Garth Brookes (he played 4 or 5 BACK TO BACK shows at the Cajundome a few years ago. They kept adding gigs because people kept buying tickets)
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Yeah, I have no interest in being a pro musician even though I aspire to having pro-level chops. Fuck playing Wagon Wheel and Sweet Caroline 3 nights a week to make $15k a year or busting my ass to get a $30k/yr touring gig as the guitarist for Nicki Minaj - being on the road 40 weeks a year playing music I hate for people I don't like. :nope:

I'd rather be a barista and play whatever I want in the evenings without needing to play gigs to pay the rent.
Last edited by troyguitar on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
razr390

Yea for me I told my parents I’d go get my masters and then I just moved to Virginia, got a decent paying job with a lot of potential for growth, and I am doing my own thing. Parents decided that they :aintcare:

My mom is more :nice: than my dad, my dad just lives to brag my accomplishments to everyone, so he always talks about me and I am :disgust: at it.

I’ll tell both cool shit about what I’m doing and my mom listens and doesn’t tell anyone and my dad tells all of his friends from romania on Facebook. It’s truly terrible, and he wonders why I don’t tell him anything anymore.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:24 pm
Acid666 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:13 pm

Yea, but getting access to those cars and having enough of them to keep content rolling is super difficult. It's also super saturated as everything thinks they can make it big on YouTube these days.
The last part is key. There is no real way to make it huge on YouTube unless you have some sort of influencer following already. That train left the station long ago.
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:32 pm Yeah, I have no interest in being a pro musician even though I aspire to having pro-level chops. Fuck playing Wagon Wheel and Sweet Caroline 3 nights a week to make $15k a year or busting my ass to get a $30k/yr touring gig as the guitarist for Nicki Minaj - being on the road 40 weeks a year playing music I hate for people I don't like. :nope:

I'd rather be a barista and play whatever I want in the evenings without needing to play gigs to pay the rent.
Nicki Minaj :datass: :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:38 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:32 pm Yeah, I have no interest in being a pro musician even though I aspire to having pro-level chops. Fuck playing Wagon Wheel and Sweet Caroline 3 nights a week to make $15k a year or busting my ass to get a $30k/yr touring gig as the guitarist for Nicki Minaj - being on the road 40 weeks a year playing music I hate for people I don't like. :nope:

Nicki Minaj :datass: :doe:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:20 pm

The other LA has a rocking poverty music scene :bruh:

Just grab your banjo.