PC Masterrace

Gamers gonna game, game, game, game.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Acid666 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:00 am Card came in. And my SSD. I love that they give you a giant fold out poster for the brand name. LOLZ.
Like I'm some 16 year old who's gonna sport a big ass EVGA lightning and thunderstorm lookin poster in my bedroom next to my Spencer's Jenny McCarthy poster.
Solid upgrade! Lol@giantposter. I do like the chrome looking badge, doe
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

Hopefully the necro-bump is allowed.

This is my current system, which was built at the tail end of 2011 (save for the 980Ti which was bought in 2015) it's never been hit with air to blow it out so it's a bit dusty. I also didn't really care about cable management back then, so go easy on me. :lol:

i5-3550
CORSAIR AIO water cooler
16GB Gskill Ripsaw X series
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard
Have an Samsung 850EVO SSD as the boot drive, a 600gb WD Raptor game/photoshop drive, another SSD for GTA, and a 1TB WD Blue storage drive.
Gigabyte 980Ti G1 paired to a 27" Dell G-Sync 144hz 1440p monitor
All on an original CX600 power supply and tucked into a Rosewill R5 case.

With Windows10 it's starting to show its age, but hoping to get a few more years out of it before having to go bigger. The initial build (prior to the 980) cost me about $1100 and stayed untouched until about August 2015.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Thedude wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:24 am I've always wanted to build my own gaming PC and finally got the cojones to do it. The turn of events that led to this were somewhat interesting but I'll save that for another topic.

The centerpiece of the battle station is an Alienware 34" 3440x1440 GSync monitor so I needed a machine that would take advantage of that resolution with solid frame rates.

Full specs:
Intel core i5 8600k
Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
MSI Gaming Plus Motherboard
16gb GSkill Ripjaws 3200 (2x8)
1Tb Samsung EVO NVMe m.2
500gb Samsung EVO SSD
EVGA GTX 1070ti FTW Ultra Silent
EVGA G3 650W Gold PSU
CoolerMaster RGB case fans x3 w/ controller
Rosewill Challenger S ATX mid-tower
LG DVD burner

Budget was $1500 and through some slick dealing managed to keep it around $1300, that is until I added the NVMe drive later on as an impulse buy. But prior to that I used the savings to get the keyboard/mouse/speakers for this setup.

Just did my first playthrough of the original Crysis and, wow! What a stellar game that still holds up 10+ years later! Epic.

ImageImage

All in all, this was a super fun project and I'll agree with whomever first said building a gaming PC is like Legos for adults!

5/7 would recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome to PC Master Race, and sick set-up with a sick budget.

Noticed a lot of WoW here... Anyone play Guild Wars 2?

Thedude wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:09 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:43 am Looks awesome! What games are you planning to play?
Thanks man. For now gonna play through the Crysis trilogy which I got for $10. Maybe a re-play through Skyrim, have Middle Earth Shadow of War because Lord of the Rings, and when Far Cry 5 goes on sale I'll pick that up.

Do you pc game? Any recommendations?
Also btw if you like singleplayer story-based games, my tie for favorite game with The Witcher 3 is NieR: Automata, in case you haven't tried. It has some weird Japanese stuff going on, but the atmosphere, soundtrack, and story are very good. Existentialism ahoy!

I'm running a i7-7700HQ, 1060 max-q, 16gb RAM, and 1.5tb SSD

Also, for shooters, does anyone play Insurgency/Insurgency: Sandstorm?
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

I took the plunge yesterday.

SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

3rdgenfan wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:10 am I took the plunge yesterday.

How is it? Also, what made you go Rift vs Vive?
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

SaxyJeep wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:04 pm

[img]https://i.imgur.com/BYA2tdW.jpg?1[img]
How is it? Also, what made you go Rift vs Vive?
It's pretty damn impressive, quite honestly. Part of me is glad I made the purchase, especially since it's proven rather useful in iRacing where my only other plan was to add two more monitors but they're still about $500/ea so I'd rather not go that route.

As for the Rift vs Vive, it was a price-point thing. Rift was on-sale at their Black Friday price @ $349 and Best Buy offered 6mo 0% with their card so I figured 'why not'. I was tempted to return it after a couple of days in case the 2nd gen products came out until I saw that it was sort of shelved for the time being.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

When looking into building a race sim setup, a couple of friends really pushed hard to go VR. It's the only true way to really get into "Looking ahead", which is kind of what I wanted to ingrain in my memory for autocrossing. Also, we went to a Dave & Busters a couple of weekends ago and paid the $5 a pop to do the Jurassic Park VR thing with the moving seats and all that shit. Holy fuck the graphics were phenomenal and was really one of the first times I've done any new and up to date VR. It was impressive as hell.
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Acid666 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:53 am

[img]https://i.imgur.com/BYA2tdW.jpg?1[img]
When looking into building a race sim setup, a couple of friends really pushed hard to go VR. It's the only true way to really get into "Looking ahead", which is kind of what I wanted to ingrain in my memory for autocrossing. Also, we went to a Dave & Busters a couple of weekends ago and paid the $5 a pop to do the Jurassic Park VR thing with the moving seats and all that shit. Holy fuck the graphics were phenomenal and was really one of the first times I've done any new and up to date VR. It was impressive as hell.
Since I've gotten the headset I've found myself now being able to comfortably go right up on the bumper of the person in front of me to draft them (whatever little bit of drafting we can do in the MX5 :lol: ) without worrying about catching a 0x-4x and being able to just pop my head over I can get back out from behind them just before a turn to give both of us safe braking distances. I could never really do that with a single monitor, always ended up nudging them sometimes it cost one of us positions.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

SaxyJeep wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:24 pm
Also btw if you like singleplayer story-based games, my tie for favorite game with The Witcher 3 is NieR: Automata, in case you haven't tried. It has some weird Japanese stuff going on, but the atmosphere, soundtrack, and story are very good. Existentialism ahoy!

Thanks for the suggestion. Never heard of NieR: Automata. Will definitely look into:like:

I actually put this build into a Fractal Designs Meshify C with tempered glass side panel a few months ago along with swapping the 500gb SSD for a 1Tb NVMe drive and putting in some RGB fans because RGB... I'll have to get a new pic in here!
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Thedude wrote:
SaxyJeep wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Never heard of NieR: Automata. Will definitely look into:like:

I actually put this build into a Fractal Designs Meshify C with tempered glass side panel a few months ago along with swapping the 500gb SSD for a 1Tb NVMe drive and putting in some RGB fans because RGB... I'll have to get a new pic in here!
Pic please, only thing i enjoy looking at as much as Jeep setups are PC setups!

Remember, Red = high performance, Green = economy mode, Blue = Extra cooling!

Also yea, its a bit on the "Japanese" side (eccentric), but it is thoroughly enjoyable once you accept the "wtf". Kind of like Metal Gear...
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

SaxyJeep wrote:
Thedude wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. Never heard of NieR: Automata. Will definitely look into:like:

Pic please, only thing i enjoy looking at as much as Jeep setups are PC setups!

Also yea, its a bit on the "Japanese" side (eccentric), but it is thoroughly enjoyable once you accept the "wtf". Kind of like Metal Gear...
Did some things over the holiday.... I actually split the pc in two. What you see below is 1 of the two. The second is a micro-atx build in a meshify c mini case. I ordered an 8700k, 1080 ti, evga 240 clc, 32gb GSkill 2x16, MSI z370m Mortar, and meshify c mini.

I put the 8700k, 1080ti, and evga clc, in the atx case (and swapped the 2x8 ram for 2x16) making this thing pretty powerful.

In the mini went the 8600k and 1070ti and that’s now the living room pc. Grabbed the Corsair keyboard/lapboard to control it.

SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Thedude wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:43 pm
SaxyJeep wrote:Pic please, only thing i enjoy looking at as much as Jeep setups are PC setups!

Did some things over the holiday.... I actually split the pc in two. What you see below is 1 of the two. The second is a micro-atx build in a meshify c mini case. I ordered an 8700k, 1080 ti, evga 240 clc, 32gb GSkill 2x16, MSI z370m Mortar, and meshify c mini.

I put the 8700k, 1080ti, and evga clc, in the atx case (and swapped the 2x8 ram for 2x16) making this thing pretty powerful.

In the mini went the 8600k and 1070ti and that’s now the living room pc. Grabbed the Corsair keyboard/lapboard to control it.

mouth waters

looks sick, but does it run Crysis?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

SaxyJeep wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:07 pm
Thedude wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:43 pm

mouth waters

looks sick, but does it run Crysis?
49 fps in crysis at 800x600!
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

I’m ready to play now. No longer using a dining room chair for the pc.

troyguitar

Blah, so I'm starting to look into some gaming shit again now that my PC is accessible and was wanting to try the :scrooge: VR setup with the Lenovo Explorer which is $150ish depending on sales... but my CPU doesn't support it. :sad:

Looking around on ebay and whatnot, it's almost $200 minimum used for a decent 7th gen i5/i7 (i.e. i5-7500).

For that kind of money I can get a brand new i5-9400. They're $170 new right now on Newegg, but require an $80+ motherboard upgrade as well.

$250 on CPU+mobo and another $150 on the VR headset only to likely find out that my graphics card is too wimpy to run the thing properly, so add another $300 for a used GTX 1080. $700 to upgrade the sim cockpit to VR...

Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:32 pm Blah, so I'm starting to look into some gaming shit again now that my PC is accessible and was wanting to try the :scrooge: VR setup with the Lenovo Explorer which is $150ish depending on sales... but my CPU doesn't support it. :sad:

Looking around on ebay and whatnot, it's almost $200 minimum used for a decent 7th gen i5/i7 (i.e. i5-7500).

For that kind of money I can get a brand new i5-9400. They're $170 new right now on Newegg, but require an $80+ motherboard upgrade as well.

$250 on CPU+mobo and another $150 on the VR headset only to likely find out that my graphics card is too wimpy to run the thing properly, so add another $300 for a used GTX 1080. $700 to upgrade the sim cockpit to VR...

Could be worth it for the 6 months of winter you live in now, doe?

And here I am waiting on Blizzard to make Diablo for mobile devices...
troyguitar

It might be worth it but I'd probably be better off putting that cash into a drum kit vs dicking around with video games. Maybe I'll grab the i5-9400F and motherboard for now and wait for the Fall on everything else. Going from my old dual-core G4560 to the 6-core 9400F should be a huge improvement all around every day. It's either that or hunt for an older but not overpriced i5/i7 on ebay, but looking at completed listings they seem to all be going for dumb amounts of money.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:32 pm Blah, so I'm starting to look into some gaming shit again now that my PC is accessible and was wanting to try the :scrooge: VR setup with the Lenovo Explorer which is $150ish depending on sales... but my CPU doesn't support it. :sad:

I just got an Oculus headset a few weeks ago and I've been running without problems on a GTX 1060 (Max-Q) and i7-7700HQ and 16GB of RAM. It's pretty fun but you would probably get more bang for your buck from a drum kit (get it? cus drums?... ok I'll stop) I definitely enjoyed it a lot and play on it once in a while, but then you need to spend more on the actual games, which are not at a place where you will really get $1=1hr yet, as cool as they are.
Barnes93cb

I was looking up quite a few reviews on the G920 this weekend and it seems to be the best bang for the buck for my needs. Only issue is that I do not have a proper setup for the mount. I'd need to buy a playseat in order to play properly.

And if I wanted to play on PC ill need to order a massive monitor. This isnt really ideal.

How bad would it be to just run an HDMI cable for a 32 inch TV? Would the performance really be that diminished?
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:03 am I was looking up quite a few reviews on the G920 this weekend and it seems to be the best bang for the buck for my needs. Only issue is that I do not have a proper setup for the mount. I'd need to buy a playseat in order to play properly.

And if I wanted to play on PC ill need to order a massive monitor. This isnt really ideal.

How bad would it be to just run an HDMI cable for a 32 inch TV? Would the performance really be that diminished?
As far as I know the quality shouldn't diminish until a significant distance, something like 50ft (if your cable is that long honestly it may be worth just getting a Steam Link and running ethernet cables). I myself have a 12ft HDMI which I use when I want to game in the living room (and keep the laptop in front of me in case controller shenanigans)

Btw for playseat, imo just look into office chairs, the gaming ones are overrated. Check out your local Staples.
Barnes93cb

SaxyJeep wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:32 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:03 am I was looking up quite a few reviews on the G920 this weekend and it seems to be the best bang for the buck for my needs. Only issue is that I do not have a proper setup for the mount. I'd need to buy a playseat in order to play properly.

As far as I know the quality shouldn't diminish until a significant distance, something like 50ft (if your cable is that long honestly it may be worth just getting a Steam Link and running ethernet cables). I myself have a 12ft HDMI which I use when I want to game in the living room (and keep the laptop in front of me in case controller shenanigans)

Btw for playseat, imo just look into office chairs, the gaming ones are overrated. Check out your local Staples.
Okay so good to go on the TV then.

I was thinking playseat because my desk chair doesnt fit well with the current stand I built for the wheel, the pedals dont stay in place, and it likely wouldnt work for the g920. Its also not setup ergnomically like a car at all. Which would mean building an entire new setup and attempting to do it right. And I cant build anything like troy because I need it to be mobile. The playseat seemed like the best compromise. Ill keep looking though.
troyguitar

I didn't end up buying any new PC parts after seeing that it's basically $200+ for a meaningful upgrade, but I did buy the Diablo 3 expansion last night as it's on sale for $10. I bought the original game when it came out in 2012 and never really played it much since then. It's pretty fun so far and runs great on the :scrooge: PC with everything turned all the way up.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:40 am I didn't end up buying any new PC parts after seeing that it's basically $200+ for a meaningful upgrade, but I did buy the Diablo 3 expansion last night as it's on sale for $10. I bought the original game when it came out in 2012 and never really played it much since then. It's pretty fun so far and runs great on the :scrooge: PC with everything turned all the way up.
Diablo 3 expansion is only $10? :scrooge: I might need to pick this up...
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:05 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:40 am I didn't end up buying any new PC parts after seeing that it's basically $200+ for a meaningful upgrade, but I did buy the Diablo 3 expansion last night as it's on sale for $10. I bought the original game when it came out in 2012 and never really played it much since then. It's pretty fun so far and runs great on the :scrooge: PC with everything turned all the way up.
Diablo 3 expansion is only $10? :scrooge: I might need to pick this up...
are we doing a diablo PC group run? i'd be down... and yus looking up expansion
troyguitar

I've never played multiplayer but I did run pretty deep into single player recently. My barbarian is now stupidly powerful and has like 250M gold. :fullretard: