The Donation Station

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Since I'm a :snowflake: :millennial: now that thinks he can help change the world....

This holiday season, and well really any time you're able, please consider donations to a nonprofit that's trying to make the world a better place. You're given one short life on this planet, and whatever card you're dealt is the one you live out.

All of us on this forum have the financial ability to help those in need through some excellent organizations dedicated to making this world a better place for those who need it most. I'd love to hear what you guys are passionate about and if you've decided to make donations. We have a thread for useless bs purchases. Maybe we can have a thread about giving?

In order to not shame people, please try to leave out donation amounts. Unless you really want to broadcast it.
Johnny_P

Shameless plug: My girlfriend is the executive director and founder of The Monkey & The Elephant. They're a Philadelphia based nonprofit that gives job and life skills training to individuals that have aged out of foster care support systems and are otherwise on their own with no parents or people to guide them. They do this through operating a cafe. Many of their alumni have gone on to work at other cafes, caterers, etc and are living much more stable lives, able to hold jobs better, etc.

https://www.themonkeyandtheelephant.org/
Johnny_P

Another org that I've donated to this year:

Urbanstead Farm

They operate a city farm in an abandoned lot in Francisville in Philly. Actually think the lot is theirs now. This year they built a small greenhouse. They have an after school program for kids to come learn how to farm, learn about healthy eating, and get hands on experiences in leadership. They sell their produce at local farmers markets.

https://www.urbanstead.org/
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I do an ongoing monthly to Sick Kids Foundation which runs a hospital that handles the most serious cases of child medical needs. They have saved my neighbors childs life when he was a baby.

My little guy signed up for Angel on a Tree this year and we just bring presents in for kids in need locally and the kid gets to color an angel and hang it up at school. We usually do a bulk thing to another organization about twice a year.
My favorite was just my wife and I driving around Toronto and handing out sleeping bags to homeless people on a cold night so I'm looking to do something more personal this year. Maybe volunteer at a homeless shelter a here and there.
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:34 am I do an ongoing monthly to Sick Kids Foundation which runs a hospital that handles the most serious cases of child medical needs. They have saved my neighbors childs life when he was a baby.

My little guy signed up for Angel on a Tree this year and we just bring presents in for kids in need locally and the kid gets to color an angel and hang it up at school. We usually do a bulk thing to another organization about twice a year.
My favorite was just my wife and I driving around Toronto and handing out sleeping bags to homeless people on a cold night so I'm looking to do something more personal this year. Maybe volunteer at a homeless shelter a here and there.
That sick kids thing. An organization similar to that helped save my life and pay for my heart surgery as a kid. Nice!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I was born with cleft lip and palate and thankfully am able to look and function at a “normal” capacity so I may consider donating to Operation Smile
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:31 am Shameless plug: My girlfriend is the executive director and founder of The Monkey & The Elephant. They're a Philadelphia based nonprofit that gives job and life skills training to individuals that have aged out of foster care support systems and are otherwise on their own with no parents or people to guide them. They do this through operating a cafe. Many of their alumni have gone on to work at other cafes, caterers, etc and are living much more stable lives, able to hold jobs better, etc.

Damn, this is awesome.

Does she offer gift cards to the cafe? I'd love to grab a few to have as stocking stuffers for my inlaws for xmas. They fostered and later adopted my youngest brother in law starting from 3 days old, who was born with fetal alcohol syndrome, ARND and fetal cocaine exposure. This would be something they'd love to check out.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:31 am Shameless plug: My girlfriend is the executive director and founder of The Monkey & The Elephant. They're a Philadelphia based nonprofit that gives job and life skills training to individuals that have aged out of foster care support systems and are otherwise on their own with no parents or people to guide them. They do this through operating a cafe. Many of their alumni have gone on to work at other cafes, caterers, etc and are living much more stable lives, able to hold jobs better, etc.

Damn, this is awesome.

Does she offer gift cards to the cafe? I'd love to grab a few to have as stocking stuffers for my inlaws for xmas. They fostered and later adopted my youngest brother in law starting from 3 days old, who was born with fetal alcohol syndrome, ARND and fetal cocaine exposure. This would be something they'd love to check out.
Yep. Gift card link is halfway down this page:
https://www.themonkeyandtheelephant.org/#cafe-section
Takes you to Square, that's their register system.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I donate 50% of my income to the government; they know best how to distribute it to those in need.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:03 am I was born with cleft lip and palate and thankfully am able to look and function at a “normal” capacity so I may consider donating to Operation Smile
Awesome organization. Every kid deserves a chance, and even a relatively affordable procedure like this, if you don't have the money or insurance coverage for it, could cause an early death.
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:43 pm I donate 50% of my income to the government; they know best how to distribute it to those in need.
:impressive:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Are you/is she familiar with Homeboy Industries out in LA? Super cool org started by this priest who helps gang inflicted kids get off the streets and into functioning jobs. I've read/listened to a bunch of his stuff, his name is Father Greg Boyle, and it is amazing and inspiring. A semi-similar mission to what Lisa does, so I thought y'all might like it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I volunteer with an org locally called Beds for Kids that provide beds/furniture/housewares for kids/families in need. Sometimes it's delivering/building furniture, sometimes cleaning/sorting donations, even some promotional events. Actually helped out today with some sorting and cleaning.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I also like donating to orgs that help victims like hungry children overseas, victims of natural disaster, etc.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Are you/is she familiar with Homeboy Industries out in LA? Super cool org started by this priest who helps gang inflicted kids get off the streets and into functioning jobs. I've read/listened to a bunch of his stuff, his name is Father Greg Boyle, and it is amazing and inspiring. A semi-similar mission to what Lisa does, so I thought y'all might like it.
Yeah they have a cool mission. She reached out to them when she was in concept phase of her shop.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:41 pm I volunteer with an org locally called Beds for Kids that provide beds/furniture/housewares for kids/families in need. Sometimes it's delivering/building furniture, sometimes cleaning/sorting donations, even some promotional events. Actually helped out today with some sorting and cleaning.
That's a pretty neat idea and I bet there are plenty of kids that don't have a normal bed.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Any of you use the Amazon Smile site? I set up one to go to St Jude's children's hospital. Basically Amazon will donate a small percentage of all your purchases to charity.

It's not a great interface because for whatever reason we get redirected to the main site so not sure how much we've actually contributed but the concept is good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201365340

Edit. It's .5%. so if all our 3k in Amazon purchases last year were eligible it only be about 15 bucks donatesd...better than nothing but I guess I'll talk to my wife about cutting a real check to St. Jude's
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

So many awesome members here! Wife has been talking about donating to a homeless shelter that takes in gay kids who've been kicked out of their homes or run away because their parents are uncaring assholes.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:02 am Any of you use the Amazon Smile site? I set up one to go to St Jude's children's hospital. Basically Amazon will donate a small percentage of all your purchases to charity.

It's not a great interface because for whatever reason we get redirected to the main site so not sure how much we've actually contributed but the concept is good.

Edit. It's .5%. so if all our 3k in Amazon purchases last year were eligible it only be about 15 bucks donatesd...better than nothing but I guess I'll talk to my wife about cutting a real check to St. Jude's
I use this for brain research. Great little gesture that they provide.

I was going to spend the money anyway. Knowing that even $1 goes towards good is better than nothing to me.
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Growing up every year until I joined the military I would donate my labor day weekend to a MASSIVE yard sale. All items were donated and all proceeds went towards Muscular Dystrophy research. Following that I just hand out money to homeless guys or any charity I see when im headed into a store. I hope they have the best intentions with the money.

I would really like to find something locally that I believe in and can help with. I should start looking around. I did donate to toys for tots this year.
Johnny_P

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:02 am Any of you use the Amazon Smile site? I set up one to go to St Jude's children's hospital. Basically Amazon will donate a small percentage of all your purchases to charity.

FWIW this actually does work. Lisa gets a check from Amazon monthly from people that use Smile and have it point to her org.