DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:02 pm Nice! Pioneer makes solid stuff. I love having the lever belt though, I don't think I'll ever go back to a prong belt. Does Pioneer make lever closure belts?
They do. I wasn't sure what to go with, is the difference that noticeable? What do you like so much better about the lever? Wondering if it'd be worth calling to see if I could alter my order.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

coogles wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:11 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:02 pm Nice! Pioneer makes solid stuff. I love having the lever belt though, I don't think I'll ever go back to a prong belt. Does Pioneer make lever closure belts?
They do. I wasn't sure what to go with, is the difference that noticeable? What do you like so much better about the lever? Wondering if it'd be worth calling to see if I could alter my order.
The lever is just more convenient to me, especially if you like your belt really tight. These thick leather belts can be a bitch to pull tight and then have to finagle the prongs through. The lever you just hook it in and close it and it’s exactly how tight you want it. Mine from Iron Tanks is able to move the lever around 8” or so, so you can adjust it as you gain/lose weight around your midsection. It take about a minute with a philips screwdriver. At my heaviest this year, I moved the lever one notch out from where I set it when I bought the belt, and now, and my lightest, I’ve moved it in two notches from there. I could come in a few more inches from where it’s at now, or goniht a few inches from where it was at my biggest. I’m not worried about ever “outgrowing” it.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

coogles wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:11 pm
I’ve never had an issue with the prongs on either my Pioneer or my Best belts.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I've never actually used a belt, in4reviews. I've certainly considered trying one but always figured "supporting naturally" was best for me as I'm not someone who needs to be the absolute biggest or strongest.

I do need to get stronger on my squats though... Yesterday's lift was 225X3,3,4,4 , very unimpressive.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:13 pm I've never actually used a belt, in4reviews. I've certainly considered trying one but always figured "supporting naturally" was best for me as I'm not someone who needs to be the absolute biggest or strongest.

I do need to get stronger on my squats though... Yesterday's lift was 225X3,3,4,4 , very unimpressive.
Belt gives a nice tactile cue for you to know that you're bracing yourself hard enough. It will not lift any more weight for you, your :massles: still need to do the work.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:13 pm I've never actually used a belt, in4reviews. I've certainly considered trying one but always figured "supporting naturally" was best for me as I'm not someone who needs to be the absolute biggest or strongest.

I only use them on my max effort sets. No warm up sets or anything, that way my "core" still gets worked. Given your history of back injuries lifting, it could be beneficial for you to pick one up as long as you don't use it as a crutch and still do whatever you need to do to strengthen your back and avoid another injury that way.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:19 pm

I only use them on my max effort sets. No warm up sets or anything, that way my "core" still gets worked. Given your history of back injuries lifting, it could be beneficial for you to pick one up as long as you don't use it as a crutch and still do whatever you need to do to strengthen your back and avoid another injury that way.
I'll put the belt on for my final single warm-up rep. That way there is nothing "new" happening for the work sets and everything feels the same.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I resisted the belt for too long based on the same logic. It makes a huge difference giving your core something to push against.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:20 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:19 pm

I'll put the belt on for my final single warm-up rep. That way there is nothing "new" happening for the work sets and everything feels the same.
Ah that actually makes a lot of sense too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sweet guise. I might pick one up once all of the moving nonsense is behind me.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:28 pm Sweet guise. I might pick one up once all of the moving nonsense is behind me.
I'd start with a cheap one. Grab a $20 Harbinger one made of whatever on Amazon just to get a feel for them and make sure it's something you'll like before investing in a nice one. Just know that when you move to a real leather belt, it'll be stiff and uncomfortable for a bit while it breaks in, but then it should feel great.

Pioneer like Coobs posted makes good belts. Cardillo weight belts are nice and they do custom embroidering if you're into that or want it marked as your own so nobody can steal it and use it without people knowing. I'm a huge fan of mine, Iron Tanks. Australian brand, so shipping takes a minute, and they're pricey, but if you aren't in a hurry to buy, wait for one of their sales. AUD - USD conversion rate is like 73% right now, so your price is 73% less than the screen price since it's in AUD, and then if you hit one of their 25 or 30% off sales on top of that, you get a "$200" belt, for $110 or so.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I think I tired to ramp back up on my squat too fast after my broken ankle and poor form (and sickness) have plagued progress. So today I really focused on form and did sets at 275. Felt way better by the last set.

Made progress on my OHP, got 3x5 for 115lb
Pullups were weak, couple sets of three with the purple and 3 sets of three with green
Deadlifted 295 for 5 :doe:

getting back slowly...
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:01 am I think I tired to ramp back up on my squat too fast after my broken ankle and poor form (and sickness) have plagued progress. So today I really focused on form and did sets at 275. Felt way better by the last set.

Pullups were weak, couple sets of three with the purple and 3 sets of three with green

getting back slowly...
A 275 squat with a 295 deadlift is actually pretty solid.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:38 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:01 am I think I tired to ramp back up on my squat too fast after my broken ankle and poor form (and sickness) have plagued progress. So today I really focused on form and did sets at 275. Felt way better by the last set.

getting back slowly...
Thanks. But one of the things I head Rippetoe say that resonated with me while getting more serious about all this.... if all you do is go in and do your sets week in and week out without an end goal to progress torwards.... that's exercise. You TRAIN to get STRONGER.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:38 am

getting back slowly...
:dat: I can't even squat much more than :225: now... :pussy:

It's annoying honestly, but it is what it is. I'm trying to get it back up.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

Decided to push squats a little this morning to test my knee out.

At the end of the squat workout, it called for an 8+ set at 305. In past workouts, I just got the prescribed reps and called it to avoid aggravating my R knee. Today, I did an extra rep, and definitely still had some in the tank. Slow and steady progress coming back!
The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE

Jaxper wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:23 pm Decided to push squats a little this morning to test my knee out.

At the end of the squat workout, it called for an 8+ set at 305. In past workouts, I just got the prescribed reps and called it to avoid aggravating my R knee. Today, I did an extra rep, and definitely still had some in the tank. Slow and steady progress coming back!
:fuckyeah: I can't wait to start adding some weight to the bar again.

I felt awesome yesterday after Saturday's win and the post-show binge.. I hit about 6000 calories that day, and felt like I could lift the world yesterday. Had some family in town, and owed Michelle some much deserved one-on-one time, so didn't lift, but I'll be in there tonight crushing a chest workout.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Got four days in last week, shooting for the same this week.

Back is still not right, but I’m hoping that it will start improving again with some consistent gym time as long as I don’t do anything stupid there that’ll aggravate it more.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Got in a good workout last night

Squat 295 for 3x5
OHP 117.5 for 1x5 & 2X4
Deadlifted 305 for a set of 5
pullups, 4x3 with the purnurple band, 1x3 with the green.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:46 am Got in a good workout last night

Squat 295 for 3x5
OHP 117.5 for 1x5 & 2X4
Nice dude!

I thought about deadlifting last night on my back day, but I'll save it for next week since I only hit them every other week. I want to give my joints a little bit of a break from all the harsh drugs I was on pre-show and not try to go stupid heavy this first week back in the gym. Next week doe, it's on!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:38 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:46 am Got in a good workout last night

Squat 295 for 3x5
OHP 117.5 for 1x5 & 2X4
Nice dude!

I thought about deadlifting last night on my back day, but I'll save it for next week since I only hit them every other week. I want to give my joints a little bit of a break from all the harsh drugs I was on pre-show and not try to go stupid heavy this first week back in the gym. Next week doe, it's on!
Thanks. I'm definitely feeling like less of a :fatty: all over. Its a good thing. Oh, despite not really being on any specific diet... i was 287 this morning.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:47 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Nice dude!

Thanks. I'm definitely feeling like less of a :fatty: all over. Its a good thing. Oh, despite not really being on any specific diet... i was 287 this morning.
Keep it up man. Just be conscious of what you eat through the holidays. If you can maintain a slow loss like that through them, it'll be easy to kick start some rapid loss with a dialed in diet after the holidays are over.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

only had 2 sleeps and 36 hours recovery for this mornings workout.

squats at 300 for reps. felt ok

Bench press at 202.5..... :lolol: I barely got in 5 reps, had to drop 40 lbs off the bar and barely ground out the last two sets of 5.

It will likely be 5 days before i can lift again, so I'll likely just try to repeat today's workout.
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Second week back is going strong! Got in for day three this morning, no reason I shouldn’t make it in there again tomorrow for two four-day weeks.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Squat shoes. I lift barefoot. am I doing it wrong?
brain go brrrrrr