3D Printing: :boxodicks:

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

As most know I jumped on a BF deal for a upper end entry level printer. It has some great features and upgrades to make printing better and easier.

It's the anycube i3 and has a print bed of 8x8x8" I think it's a knock off of a Prusia i3 design but very high quality.

I'm familiar with 3d modelling but new to processing it by "slicing" and printing with different media. PLA is the most common and cheapest. It easier to use than other plastics and is derived from corn. ABS is second most popular but requires more heat therefore slightly more difficult to use and is "green". I have 3 1kg rolls of pla in black white and clear. 1 roll of black ABS on the way.

Im still learning but have the machine leveled and calibrated well. I'm using a free program Cura which is very powerful for generating the layers of print and methods.

Naturally, the second thing I printed was a tiny dick. My baby Groot screwed up from me bumping a lose wire.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:neat:
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

So how does the splicing program work? Does it just take your model and hollow it out with a uniform outside thickness or do you have to do some tweaking?
What kind of model are you bringing in? Step, Iges, parasolid, native 3d?
I've been on the fence about getting a 3d printer for years, just never pulled the trigger.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:12 am So how does the splicing program work? Does it just take your model and hollow it out with a uniform outside thickness or do you have to do some tweaking?
What kind of model are you bringing in? Step, Iges, parasolid, native 3d?
I've been on the fence about getting a 3d printer for years, just never pulled the trigger.
Shape and obj files. STL? iirc. Cura is great. It does all the infill automatically based on the parameters you set. You set a layer thickness and a shell thickness then print speed. Those are the main variables. 10% infill is good for easy fast prints, the higher the infill the smaller the grid or fill style.

The two owls took right at 35 mins to print. The groot base you see is the infill at 20%.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Can't wait until the dog eats it.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:lolol: that blue :jalepenis: christmas ornament doe
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:39 pm :lolol: that blue :jalepenis: christmas ornament doe
:bravo:

alan has one. The veins are amazing in the light.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Ordered some actual wood composite filament. has 20-30% actual wood. Can be stained. :mindblown:

Going to print a WOOD GROOT. :fuckyeah:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:52 pm Ordered some actual wood composite filament. has 20-30% actual wood. Can be stained. :mindblown:

In4results!
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:36 pm
dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:52 pm Ordered some actual wood composite filament. has 20-30% actual wood. Can be stained. :mindblown:

In4results!
And pics.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

yas!

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:24 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:36 pm

In4results!
And pics.
wood filament will be in by friday. I'll prep the model a bit to make sure it runs smoothly. :like:
Acid666

How's this been going? I've been looking for someone to make a custom Mazda Meowta emblem. I can either buy and tinker or just find someone that wants to test print some shit for some side cash.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 am How's this been going? I've been looking for someone to make a custom Mazda Meowta emblem. I can either buy and tinker or just find someone that wants to test print some shit for some side cash.
pretty good. been printing stuff each night. Getting more comfortable with set it and let it print over night. Its a little loud so put it in some room away from where you sleep.

Each material prints differently. Order extra nozzles in different extrusion sizes. PLA is the hands down easiest thing to print. Im trying to get better at not having strings and strands all over.
Acid666

dubshow wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:06 pm
Acid666 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 am How's this been going? I've been looking for someone to make a custom Mazda Meowta emblem. I can either buy and tinker or just find someone that wants to test print some shit for some side cash.
pretty good. been printing stuff each night. Getting more comfortable with set it and let it print over night. Its a little loud so put it in some room away from where you sleep.

Each material prints differently. Order extra nozzles in different extrusion sizes. PLA is the hands down easiest thing to print. Im trying to get better at not having strings and strands all over.

I may consider it. There's plenty of odds and ends I can use it for like custom buttons and shit on the cars.
I know my friend wanted me to model him a plate to cover up a hole in his dash on his MR2 that's missing.
I'm waiting on a customer to get back with me on some prints so I had some free time. Decided to find someone that's got a Mazda logo and start to modify it. I just need to design some ears and modify the nose to get moar cat out of it.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

That is amazing.