Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:39 pm https://finance.yahoo.com/news/vw-ford- ... ector.html

VW and Fraud in talks on autonomous cars... :mindblown:
VW/Ferd mashup isn't so crazy afterall...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:37 pm

Dougs Veloster N review. I noticed that it doesn't have fixed calipers up front either... A bit odd. Interior looks a bit low rent compared to VW in particular. That mustang smurf blue looks decent. I don't think this car will succeed, it is :notbad: but nothing to write home about...

Looks like the Ex bmw M guy literally is copying the entire BMW methodology. All those selectable drivetrain options... :butwhy:
Megane RS265, had none of that mumbo jumbo. IMO it dilutes the whole experience because that many levels of settings get really annoying. I have 6 setting for the transmission, 3 settings for throttle, 3 settings for steering wheel, 3 settings for suspension, 2 settings for exhaust, that N lobster looks to be similar. :wtf: is the point
Man I love the way this car looks in that color. The want is strong for it.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

10. Honda Odyssey

9. Volkswagen Atlas

8. Buick Enclave

7. Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD

6. Kia Cadenza

5. Chevrolet Traverse

4. Honda Clarity

3. Cadillac ATS

2. Tesla Model X

1. Ram 3500

These are the least reliable cars best to worst according to CR, :notsure: I trust their data much... Traverse? ATS? Cadenza? Odyssey?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:59 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:47 pm
:dat: if it makes sense it makes sense. But most of the time it is just something retarded like map gas pedal from 50% physical throttle =20% vs 60% etc... just tune it right from the getgo.
I do like selectable exhaust because I can't always go full bro in the AM without feeling like I am pissing people off around me.
Steering/throttle should have no selections IMO. I have never been a fan of the selectable suspensions, as it is hard to feel any difference for me. In the 335i I had to keep it on sport in the M3 i have to keep it on "comfort"
Selectable exhaust is 5/7. That's one I can really get excited about.

Why can't throttle pedals just be linear? Why does it need to be adjustable? Makes no sense.

I'm a big fan of MSRC, but agree that it's also too much fuss. That's why I love the Multimatics on the ZR2 because it rides great on road and off, and adjusts to environments mechanically so the driver doesn't have to do anything other than drive.

I really hope that use of tech is expanded.
I appreciate a sport or manual mode on an automatic transmission. Other than that there's no real need for selectable dampers and steering and throttle and such. Porsche PASM.... everyone leaves it on comfort because sport is unusable. Eco throttle modes but why. Sports cars with sports mode motherfucker it's a sports car it should be sporty.

Ugh. My car has 3 throttle settings. Useless. Select your own diff sensitivity who cares, etc.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:12 pm 10. Honda Odyssey

9. Volkswagen Atlas

8. Buick Enclave

7. Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD

6. Kia Cadenza

5. Chevrolet Traverse

4. Honda Clarity

3. Cadillac ATS

2. Tesla Model X

1. Ram 3500

These are the least reliable cars best to worst according to CR, :notsure: I trust their data much... Traverse? ATS? Cadenza? Odyssey?
It's a sample of owners, just like JD Power. Get a :salt: sample, and you're hosed.

This list makes zero sense. How are both Ram and Chevy HD trucks there? HD trucks are bulletproof from all OEMs that make them. Isn't the Odyssey basically a Pilot? Where's the Pilot?

:fakenews:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:21 pm

Why can't throttle pedals just be linear? Why does it need to be adjustable? Makes no sense.

I'm a big fan of MSRC, but agree that it's also too much fuss. That's why I love the Multimatics on the ZR2 because it rides great on road and off, and adjusts to environments mechanically so the driver doesn't have to do anything other than drive.

I appreciate a sport or manual mode on an automatic transmission. Other than that there's no real need for selectable dampers and steering and throttle and such. Porsche PASM.... everyone leaves it on comfort because sport is unusable. Eco throttle modes but why. Sports cars with sports mode motherfucker it's a sports car it should be sporty.

Ugh. My car has 3 throttle settings. Useless. Select your own diff sensitivity who cares, etc.
Last time I drove an STI (previous gen), I couldn't make the modes do anything discernibly different. What a waste :butwhy:
max225

The eco mode in my 335i was about the most :fullretard: thing ever. :whocares: about that shit... if I wanted eco i'd get a prius or a 4 cylinder BMW, eco mode in a 300hp sport sedan? :butwhy: I used it 3 times to see wtf it does... and it was just terribad.

BMW was smart enough to not include an eco mode in the M3, it does have the engine start-stop non sense however which is permanently disabled for me. I don't like the transmission modes, the plebe level is not aggressive enough and the others are a bit too aggressive.
max225

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 42209.html
FCA had a "killer" month with 16% up YOY.
I can't believe they are still moving 150k annualized units of charger/challenger that car has been a goldmine for them.

However this continues to affirm what I was speculating. WRANGLER IS DOWN YOY, even though they are sitting with 6k+ on the hood locally. :mindblown:
They have tapped out the market in the first 9 months. Crazy though they moved 205k units in 10 months... It is jeeps best selling model for the year but only the 4th best selling model for the month.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:22 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:50 pm

The R8 probably makes the most sense to actually use when it comes to cars like that. They've been refining that drivetrain for a long ass time and the car appears to use a lot more common parts... plus it sounds incredible.
I love the R8.

A first gen V8 :manuel: would be 5/7.
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:59 pm https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 42209.html
I can't believe they are still moving 150k annualized units of charger/challenger that car has been a goldmine for them.

However this continues to affirm what I was speculating. WRANGLER IS DOWN YOY, even though they are sitting with 6k+ on the hood locally. :mindblown:
They have tapped out the market in the first 9 months. Crazy though they moved 205k units in 10 months... It is jeeps best selling model for the year but only the 4th best selling model for the month.
Can't jump to the conclusion that demand is tapped out without knowing supply. The release doesn't state inventory or days supply. There's actually a big problem with distribution still for the industry, that combined with some production changes for frame things could have driven supply a bit lean. You may see $6k on the hood in your market, but the national incentive spend is still quite low. That's not an indicator of waning demand in this case.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:14 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:59 pm https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 42209.html

Can't jump to the conclusion that demand is tapped out without knowing supply. The release doesn't state inventory or days supply. There's actually a big problem with distribution still for the industry, that combined with some production changes for frame things could have driven supply a bit lean. You may see $6k on the hood in your market, but the national incentive spend is still quite low. That's not an indicator of waning demand in this case.
it is by no means a "low demand" vehicle as I mentioned... my data points are not inclusive of the entire country but my Local :dillerman: has 270! units on hand. I have never seen that many ever... just one :dillerman: nearly 300 fking 2018 jeeps (JK40+JL 230)... Insanity.

For reference purposes... Cherokee has 40 units on hand... and technically they about as many units
max225

1856 Wranglers available within 150 miles from my house...
950 Cherokees within 150 miles
I also heard they are throttling the factory now.... went from 7 days to 6...

:jeep: :jeep: :jeep:
:jeep: :thisisfine: :jeep:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:23 pm 1856 Wranglers available within 150 miles from my house...

Source on production reduction? I haven't heard that at all.

I know you don't believe this, but there's a lot of country outside of your 150 miles. It's entirely possible that dealers in your area over-estimated demand.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:35 pm Wait did you get a new job??

Also, :doit: with getting an exhaust, I absolutely love mine. Added bonus is that it covers up other, less desirable sounds that my car makes.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Polished up the ol resume, spoke with a recruiter, and found a few positions I started the application process for. We will see what happens.

Yeah man exhaust, cheapest way for me to go is muffler delete :hubba: or smaller mufflers. Apparently it doesn't make the STIs ear bleedingly loud because of the turbo and resonator in the stock mid pipe, and since it's just mufflers no need to tune. Would sound like absolute ASS for the first minute or two on cold start but hey that's show biz, baby.
:neat:

I'm glad to hear it man, I know you've been unhappy there for a long time. I hope it goes well!
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:26 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:23 pm 1856 Wranglers available within 150 miles from my house...

Source on production reduction? I haven't heard that at all.

I know you don't believe this, but there's a lot of country outside of your 150 miles. It's entirely possible that dealers in your area over-estimated demand.
California is Americas #1 car market, we're also the #1 :jeep: market. I mean, I am literally correlating their sales report of being down vs a last year of an outdated model vs a brand new JL+heavily discounted JK.
Source of that was someone working at the plant in Toledo, in the JL forums.
max225

Also looks like they started building 2019s this week... :neat:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:33 pm

Last time I drove an STI (previous gen), I couldn't make the modes do anything discernibly different. What a waste :butwhy:
Yeah. They help on snow ice and gravel I guess but it’ll also just control itself in auto so who gives a damn.
max225

Who the FK drives an STI in gravel ? That seems :fullretard:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:37 pm Who the FK drives an STI in gravel ? That seems :fullretard:
I have. Why is it full retard? Plenty of ground clearance and AWD. Stiff dampers do great off road.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:37 pm Who the FK drives an STI in gravel ? That seems :fullretard:
Isn’t that where they are supposed to be driven? :notsure:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:32 pm
I have. Why is it full retard? Plenty of ground clearance and AWD. Stiff dampers do great off road.
Rocks damage the paint and the factory tires are not meant for it and get chewed up ?!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:38 pm

The eco mode in my 335i was about the most :fullretard: thing ever. :whocares: about that shit... if I wanted eco i'd get a prius or a 4 cylinder BMW, eco mode in a 300hp sport sedan? :butwhy: I used it 3 times to see wtf it does... and it was just terribad.

BMW was smart enough to not include an eco mode in the M3, it does have the engine start-stop non sense however which is permanently disabled for me. I don't like the transmission modes, the plebe level is not aggressive enough and the others are a bit too aggressive.
:dat:

it softens the gas which makes the throttle response less responsive, means you have to put more gas to accelerate as you would with less gas on normal mode.

I used the econ mode on the civic rental, it just encourages me to press more gas. I'd honestly would see it useful if im stuck in gridlock traffic, same with start stop too.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:40 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:32 pm

Rocks damage the paint and the factory tires are not meant for it and get chewed up ?!
My cars paint is fine and tires didn’t disintegrate from it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'm watching Motor Trend youtube vids with covfefe. Caddy CTS-V vs E63 :megusta:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Spoiler alert (10 months late) CTS-V is the better package. Very impressive family hauler.