House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:20 pm DFD coming over for Thanksgiving.
Would be 5/7.

We're having a friendsgiving since we don't really have family around. We collect our friends in the same position and have one big fun day full of :drunk: and :fatty:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:26 pm
Apex wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:20 pm DFD coming over for Thanksgiving.
:dat:

I'll be in MI for the weekend. Hobbit turkey for all.
If you're bored, you can come by the new place and get some turkey or whatever.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:46 am Chris do you know any decent way to increase vent flow through a microwave vent thing? We have an externally venting duct but the fucking fan in the microwave has no ass and can't pull a draft at all, most of the smoke/etc ends up just going straight past it :rage:
A few things.

I think the placement is off...many microwaves are mounted too close to the cook top (so you can easily put things in and out of it), so even at full tilt, the fan can't suck up all the smoke, especially from the burners on the front.

I also think they just blow. When I took out the microwave, I looked up inside it and there's VERY little space for air to move through. I think the microwave hoods are just too restrictive.

We never use the microwave, so chucking it for a proper vent hood is the way to go. The difference is incredible.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:13 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:27 pm

:wtf:

dude. you have to repaint lots of ceiling now.

At least fix the stupid cabinets as part of your remodel.
There's no other way to run the vent hood ducting. Had to cut into the ceiling. The ceiling is pretty nasty from grease, especially over the range, so it needs to be painted anyway.

All the cabinets around the range are down now. They made the kitchen feel too closed in, and we only had plates in one. The corner unit held spices, and :tits: has some :pinshit: want to store spices apparently. The plates were relocated to another cabinet.

We're also going to pull out the cabinet between the range and the door. Then we'll install a 36" range and I'm going to build a small butcher block counter to fit between the range and the wall. The idea here is to open up the kitchen a bit more.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:27 pm Table was delivered yesterday. Looks 5/7, though still a bit small...

And then today, I got sick of no vent hood life. Kitchen remod now underway...

Love the round table. It think it is appropriately sized for crotchfruit free lyfe. Dat pot filler.....:jimp:
Yea, the round table is 5/7. We had 4 people over for dinner on Friday, and six sitting at the table was really nice. Great for conversation.

Apparently, the pot filler is going to stay, despite my protest to get rid of it. Worse, it needs to be changed to a different fixture because apparently all the hardware in the kitchen is going to be brass.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:25 pm

There's no other way to run the vent hood ducting. Had to cut into the ceiling. The ceiling is pretty nasty from grease, especially over the range, so it needs to be painted anyway.

All the cabinets around the range are down now. They made the kitchen feel too closed in, and we only had plates in one. The corner unit held spices, and :tits: has some :pinshit: want to store spices apparently. The plates were relocated to another cabinet.

We're also going to pull out the cabinet between the range and the door. Then we'll install a 36" range and I'm going to build a small butcher block counter to fit between the range and the wall. The idea here is to open up the kitchen a bit more.
:nice:

solid plan. Will you have any storage on that wall?

that shit the PO did with the cabinet and the light is criminal.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:30 pm Worse, it needs to be changed to a different fixture because apparently all the hardware in the kitchen is going to be brass.
:wtf: :nope: :hellno:
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:30 pm

:dat: That is a fairly fucked up kitchen corner there, I think he downgraded in the kitchen whilst upgrading everywhere else. Nothing obscene amounts of cash can't fix.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:30 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:42 pm

Love the round table. It think it is appropriately sized for crotchfruit free lyfe. Dat pot filler.....:jimp:
Yea, the round table is 5/7. We had 4 people over for dinner on Friday, and six sitting at the table was really nice. Great for conversation.

Apparently, the pot filler is going to stay, despite my protest to get rid of it. Worse, it needs to be changed to a different fixture because apparently all the hardware in the kitchen is going to be brass.

What kind of brass?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

TBD on more storage. :tits: mentioned shelves to put cook books and random things on...I reminded her the result of shelves next to the range last time, and she agreed. We'll probably just leave the wall open and put art on it or something.

Cabinet and the light?

The soffit above the range and cabinets is there for the upstairs bathroom plumbing. You can see the large black pipe going through the top of the wall/soffit that's the main drain for up there. Still undecided what I'm going to do with that.

The lighting in the kitchen is fucked. Each light has it's own switch. EACH ONE. There's 10 switches in the kitchen for all the lights, and it makes absolutely zero sense. I've debated sorting that out to fewer more logical switches, but that's some major tear-up. Now's the time to do it, I just don't want to.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:30 pm

What kind of brass?
:pinshit: :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:35 pm

:dat: That is a fairly fucked up kitchen corner there, I think he downgraded in the kitchen whilst upgrading everywhere else. Nothing obscene amounts of cash can't fix.
It's a cluster. Makes little sense, but won't be a ton of cash to fix. No major construction needed, just the cost of materials/appliances. We've got a solid plan so far.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Good deal. That range is so buried in that corner I didn't even notice it until Breh made his comment about the pot filler. You definitely have room for a bigger range, for sure. One thing to keep in mind with a 36", and this is in no way a criticism, just an observation I'm passing along, is that the oven is pretty yuuge and they take a long time to warm up to cooking temp. Just keep that in mind when you figure cooking/prep time for the DFD Thanksgiving extravaganza.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:55 pm

Good deal. That range is so buried in that corner I didn't even notice it until Breh made his comment about the pot filler. You definitely have room for a bigger range, for sure. One thing to keep in mind with a 36", and this is in no way a criticism, just an observation I'm passing along, is that the oven is pretty yuuge and they take a long time to warm up to cooking temp. Just keep that in mind when you figure cooking/prep time for the DFD Thanksgiving extravaganza.
Yep, the concern has been discussed. :tits: isn't worried. I wish they made 36" ranges with a double oven of sorts, but they don't. We really don't use the oven a ton anyway, so I think it should be OK.

We considered a 48" range, but that'll take up the entire side wall there, and is really overkill for what we want. We did go to a high end appliance store to check them out, but :tits: agreed that the 48" is just too big. She'd rather have a bit more space than the 30" with the 36, but still have some space on the side for the butcher block counter thing for some reason.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:59 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:55 pm

Yep, the concern has been discussed. :tits: isn't worried. I wish they made 36" ranges with a double oven of sorts, but they don't. We really don't use the oven a ton anyway, so I think it should be OK.

We considered a 48" range, but that'll take up the entire side wall there, and is really overkill for what we want. We did go to a high end appliance store to check them out, but :tits: agreed that the 48" is just too big. She'd rather have a bit more space than the 30" with the 36, but still have some space on the side for the butcher block counter thing for some reason.
They're often perfectly reasonable compromises, size wise, for situations like yours. We had a 20 ft wall so our 48" fits just fine. And 6 burners is :jimp: What brand(s) are you looking at other than GE, any?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:52 pm

Cabinet and the light?

also, just rewire the lights if they are all in the same box.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Cabinet and the light?

Also, get rid of those wires underneath the TV. What is this, a fraternity house?
ChrisoftheNorth

Cabinet and the light?

OH...so the angle made it worse than it is, the cabinet does not cover the light at all. For some reason, the trim molding on top of the cabinets was fasted to the cabinets rather than the ceiling, so there was a gap...and it made it look funky in shots.

I can rewire most that share boxes, but there's still probably 3 or so single switches that I need to decide what to do with.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:26 pm

Also, get rid of those wires underneath the TV. What is this, a fraternity house?
TV's going away. Makes no sense in the kitchen, and we never use it.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:59 pm

They're often perfectly reasonable compromises, size wise, for situations like yours. We had a 20 ft wall so our 48" fits just fine. And 6 burners is :jimp: What brand(s) are you looking at other than GE, any?
The new Cafe appliances (GE's recently launched :pinshit: brand) is the winner at this moment. 36" range includes 6 18k BTU brass burners. We can't find any others that have ALL high powered burners like that. Also has convection oven, etc. The color will also match the GE dishwasher I just bought AND you can change out the knobs to different finished that has :tits: full blown: :triggered:

https://www.appliancesconnection.com/ca ... p3md1.html

She's focused (too much IMO) on looks. We looked at Viking and Wolf and she doesn't like that they're only stainless steel. Want more style for max :pinshit:

There's these euro brands (french and italian) that offer the design she's looking for, but the performance reviews are pretty mixed. Not to mention, finding parts will likely be a challenge that I don't feel like messing with. Like this checks all the boxes:

https://www.appliancesconnection.com/ha ... 0cmmg.html

But it's a brand I've never heard of at way too good a price. There's no way this thing is legit for the price. Let alone parts availability is seriously in question.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:37 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:04 pm
The new Cafe appliances (GE's recently launched :pinshit: brand) is the winner at this moment. 36" range includes 6 18k BTU brass burners. We can't find any others that have ALL high powered burners like that. Also has convection oven, etc. The color will also match the GE dishwasher I just bought AND you can change out the knobs to different finished that has :tits: full blown: :triggered:

She's focused (too much IMO) on looks. We looked at Viking and Wolf and she doesn't like that they're only stainless steel. Want more style for max :pinshit:

There's these euro brands (french and italian) that offer the design she's looking for, but the performance reviews are pretty mixed. Not to mention, finding parts will likely be a challenge that I don't feel like messing with. Like this checks all the boxes:

But it's a brand I've never heard of at way too good a price. There's no way this thing is legit for the price. Let alone parts availability is seriously in question.
I vaguely remembered when I cared about stuff this but I have buried those memories so deep Sigmund Freud couldn't find them.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:37 pm

I vaguely remembered when I cared about stuff this but I have buried those memories so deep Sigmund Freud couldn't find them.
I don't care much either, but I'm going to spend more on a fucking range than I did on cars for YEARS, I want to make an educated purchase.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:07 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:00 pm

I don't care much either, but I'm going to spend more on a fucking range than I did on cars for YEARS, I want to make an educated purchase.
I too would be more concerned about performance vs. appearance.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:07 pm
That's what I was trying to get through to her, but she's just not having it.

So, the $5k GE one will probably win. I've had great luck with GE appliances, so there are worse options.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:13 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:10 pm

That's what I was trying to get through to her, but she's just not having it.

So, the $5k GE one will probably win. I've had great luck with GE appliances, so there are worse options.
Me too.