Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:49 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:42 pm So my plan of getting Allison to sell her townhouse next summer is going well. We're thinking we will go full :millennial: and rent a place in the shity for a year or two. Hopefully :doom: doesn't happen prior to summer. Interestingly, apartments in downtown proper are actually cheaper than the close to town areas I used to live, looking like it'll be around $1,300-1,500/month for a fairly nice two bedroom.
this was also my experience. Downtown can be cheap.
My "rent" is only $700/mo :hubba:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:05 am

and you complain endlessly about it. :disgust:
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Sink size is correlated to rent payments apparently.
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:10 am

and you complain endlessly about it. :disgust:
Yep :dat: it's the one thing that doesn't suck about where I live.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:11 am

Not anymore it isn't :megusta:

But anyway the place I had before this was $1k/mo for gated community, parking, package service, 2 pools, gym, 800 sf apartment, balcony, central air, etc. Quiet community next to the parks. Damn I miss that.

Oh well. Saving the bux now. I'd be cool with spending way more than I am but it's NGH in the city limits I think.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:03 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:59 pm

Unless it's fake news... time will tell I guess, but I found one I like that's like 1250 square feet for $1450.

The parking will depend on the place, that'll be the tricky part. Likely can get a place with two spots and will pay to keep the :poorvette: nearby, looks to be $150ish/month.
:notbad: living in the city will probably be fine. Really the biggest headache is where to park, so if that's figured out then go for it.
:word:

I'm not going to do the whole street parking thing, we'll have to figure out something that works with that, but many of the places have underground parking and such, the perks of a newer city. I'll probably end up spending 50-60% more per month, but my "rent" has been stupid cheap for years, I think it'll be worth it now that I'll be home more and be making more. Plus the long commute will be cut in half and most of the traffic eliminated.

It's not something we're into permanently (unless we change our minds once there) but neither one of us has ever lived in a proper urban environment, so we just thought it would be fun to try out if we can afford, plus she can score a lot of equity in the town house and we'll hopefully buy when things calm down a bit with the market.

In the past I lived about two miles from downtown proper and could walk to some things and stuff, but this will likely be among the high rises and stuff, could be fun to experience before fully committed to 'burbs life.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:50 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:03 am

:notbad: living in the city will probably be fine. Really the biggest headache is where to park, so if that's figured out then go for it.
:word:

I'm not going to do the whole street parking thing, we'll have to figure out something that works with that, but many of the places have underground parking and such, the perks of a newer city. I'll probably end up spending 50-60% more per month, but my "rent" has been stupid cheap for years, I think it'll be worth it now that I'll be home more and be making more. Plus the long commute will be cut in half and most of the traffic eliminated.

It's not something we're into permanently (unless we change our minds once there) but neither one of us has ever lived in a proper urban environment, so we just thought it would be fun to try out if we can afford, plus she can score a lot of equity in the town house and we'll hopefully buy when things calm down a bit with the market.

In the past I lived about two miles from downtown proper and could walk to some things and stuff, but this will likely be among the high rises and stuff, could be fun to experience before fully committed to 'burbs life.
According to this forum you'll want to kill yourself for living in a city as well.

First the Hyundai then this. Why you hate life, mang?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:11 am

:lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

Welp guise. I'm officially a moran. I skipped on this house because I didn't like the exterior and cabinets and such. I should have :stfu: and bought it apparently.

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Philadelphia/ ... /109202779

Original list $500k (it was $480k pre-build price), 1 year later it's $625k.

Ideal location, 2 blocks from grocery store, 3 blocks from subway stop, 3 blocks from a booming business district that's the hip neighborhood in the city, and last year it was on the edge of the development line but that's since been pushed out like 10 more blocks so now it's in the meat of the gentrified area.

So ugly from the street though.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:58 am Welp guise. I'm officially a moran. I skipped on this house because I didn't like the exterior and cabinets and such. I should have :stfu: and bought it apparently.

Ideal location, 2 blocks from grocery store, 3 blocks from subway stop, 3 blocks from a booming business district that's the hip neighborhood in the city, and last year it was on the edge of the development line but that's since been pushed out like 10 more blocks so now it's in the meat of the gentrified area.

you are in a bubble.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:09 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:58 am Welp guise. I'm officially a moran. I skipped on this house because I didn't like the exterior and cabinets and such. I should have :stfu: and bought it apparently.

you are in a bubble.
I dunno. With so many New Yorkers living in Philly anymore home prices are astronomical. Lots of new office space opening up in Philly next year as well.

Aside from having a terribad street presence, homes that do not have 1st floor street view tend to destroy the community aspect of a neighborhood, inviting crime and that sort of thing. If you have direct street access from the main living floor with windows looking out people will naturally keep an eye on the block. New construction homes in Philly that have 1st floor garages and 2nd floor main living areas don't have any sense of community at all and many times you see graffiti and trash and that sort of BS all over the place on those blocks.

:gay:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:35 am

you are in a bubble.
I dunno. With so many New Yorkers living in Philly anymore home prices are astronomical. Lots of new office space opening up in Philly next year as well.

Aside from having a terribad street presence, homes that do not have 1st floor street view tend to destroy the community aspect of a neighborhood, inviting crime and that sort of thing. If you have direct street access from the main living floor with windows looking out people will naturally keep an eye on the block. New construction homes in Philly that have 1st floor garages and 2nd floor main living areas don't have any sense of community at all and many times you see graffiti and trash and that sort of BS all over the place on those blocks.

:gay:
+20% in 2 years is a bubble.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The entire country is in a housing bubble.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:10 am The entire country is in a housing bubble.

buy buy buy

sell sell sell

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:19 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:10 am The entire country is in a housing bubble.

buy buy buy

sell sell sell

It's why we made a move. Sold our old house for way more than we should have been able to, had some :alpo: on the new house buying it under the current market, which should put us at break even when things inevitably :nuke:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

It also could have gone the other way and you could be saying, thankfully I didnt buy that overpriced thing.

A jump in 25% over 1 year isnt a good thing man. Even at $500k sale price, with 20% down/ $100k DOWN, you'd still be swinging a $2500/mo note before upkeep and utilities. I'd think that would but a dent in your :wasteful: lifestyle.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:22 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:19 am

buy buy buy

sell sell sell

It's why we made a move. Sold our old house for way more than we should have been able to, had some :alpo: on the new house buying it under the current market, which should put us at break even when things inevitably :nuke:
it is a crazy time indeed. Roll of the dice if the rate hike sinks our bubble world, then they have to drop prime rate to put the US back on life support. If so, we will refi on our 30 year and get to a nice low rate and hopefully keep some equity.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:24 am
It also could have gone the other way and you could be saying, thankfully I didnt buy that overpriced thing.

A jump in 25% over 1 year isnt a good thing man. Even at $500k sale price, with 20% down/ $100k DOWN, you'd still be swinging a $2500/mo note before upkeep and utilities. I'd think that would but a dent in your :wasteful: lifestyle.
Eh not really
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:13 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:24 am

Eh not really
:lol:

such :waxer:
wap

:millennial: paradise.
Dat garage doe. :(
wap

So glad we paid our :haus: off last year and don't have to :dong: around with refi's and interest rates. :disgust:
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:32 pm

:millennial: paradise.
Dat garage doe. :(
That's a big garage for the city.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Brad will tell you that real estate can SMH but idunno
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

you are in a bubble.
Oh wow.... see next page apparently! :impressive:
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:50 pm

you are in a bubble.
Oh wow.... see next page apparently! :impressive:
:lolol: