The time has come to join the Placidemic of 2018

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Cereal question. How good is Honda's reputation with turbro'd motors? Legit curious because aren't they kind of late comers to turbroing their commodity cars?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:46 pm Cereal question. How good is Honda's reputation with turbro'd motors? Legit curious because aren't they kind of late comers to turbroing their commodity cars?
Seriously, they aren't the reliability be-alls that they once were in the 90s. Dan knows that going in since he mentioned that the stereotype triggered him when we were circle jerking to the Accord Sport IIFC.

Narrow spread is one of the exact reasons i went VW, the reliability spread between German, Japanese and American is very narrow.

Wait, are you asking if the turbos are unreliable because new tech for Honda?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote:Cereal question. How good is Honda's reputation with turbro'd motors? Legit curious because aren't they kind of late comers to turbroing their commodity cars?
We know that the clutches are as bad as or maybe worse than the :turboyaris: because honderps have never had torque before. :disgust:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:01 pm
wap wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:46 pm Cereal question. How good is Honda's reputation with turbro'd motors? Legit curious because aren't they kind of late comers to turbroing their commodity cars?
Seriously, they aren't the reliability be-alls that they once were in the 90s. Dan knows that going in since he mentioned that the stereotype triggered him when we were circle jerking to the Accord Sport IIFC.

Narrow spread is one of the exact reasons i went VW, the reliability spread between German, Japanese and American is very narrow.

Wait, are you asking if the turbos are unreliable because new tech for Honda?
Asking :dat:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:03 pm
wap wrote:Cereal question. How good is Honda's reputation with turbro'd motors? Legit curious because aren't they kind of late comers to turbroing their commodity cars?
We know that the clutches are as bad as or maybe worse than the :turboyaris: because honderps have never had torque before. :disgust:
Right. What about the turbros themselves and the attendant plumbing, cooling requirements, valve train, CV's, etc?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:16 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:03 pm We know that the clutches are as bad as or maybe worse than the :turboyaris: because honderps have never had torque before. :disgust:
Right. What about the turbros themselves and the attendant plumbing, cooling requirements, valve train, CV's, etc?
This ain't a VW
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:57 am
wap wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:16 pm

This ain't a VW
:howdareu:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Hard to say as they really haven't had them long as you pointed out. IIRC, the RDX was the first turbo Honda vehicle circa 2008. People have been turbroing Hondas for big, reliable power for over two decades though, and they've always seemed to respond very well to that.

I'm not super concerned personally, as it has a 5/60 power train warranty, I'd say I'm safe enough.

Admittedly though, the motor is the most "meh" part of the Honda. Interior, chassis, fuel economy, handling, ergonomics are all really nice.

As far as engines go, I'd rate everything I drove on Friday:

:ellis: >>>>> Bimmer >> :turboyaris: > WRXLOVE >>> Fiesta ST > Shitvic Si
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:33 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:23 pm

The civic will likely be easier to own and require less attention. Just oil changes. That would tip the scale for me. Add in it’s cheaper and IMO theres not much to discuss :iono:
There is SOMETHING to discuss. He'll enjoy hopping in the F30 more than the Civic every single day. MSport F30s drive nicely, it is the right color, it is a :manuel:, the interior is more superior than the Shitvic and bascially its a way nicer car, and a quicker one. It also looks like it was purchased by an adult. If he was selling the C5 I'd go for the bimmer. There is value in nice cars, you don't jizz all over every 911 in sight because they require less attention or are easy to own.

BUT his commute is long and he's keeping the anus shattering mullet barge. So rice.
:dat:

BMW is really nice to be in. I actually like the design of the Civic interior more, but the BMW is whisper quiet inside, has a volume knob, and a level of quality not found in anything else discussed here (hence the 80% more MSRP). It will be down on tech though.

It also has better brakes, way better motor, much better exterior looks, and a kind of unique cool factor being a :manuel: with blooo brakes and whatnot, pretty neat car.

I have some emails out regarding Shitvic deals. If it isn't fake news that I can get it for $20k + TTL, I'm going to go that route. If that was a :bs: offer to keep me from leaving the :dillerman: that day, I think I'll offer $21k on the Bimmer and see where it goes.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:popcorn:
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I'm now officially - 1( :plac: / :225: :225:) +1( :plac: + :meata: )
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote:I'm now officially - 1( :plac: / :225: :225:) +1( :plac: + :meata: )
:impressive: :plac: :math:

:meata: :fuckyeah: :225:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

The Shitvic does have > :225: :doe:
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:08 am
Acid666 wrote:I'm now officially - 1( :plac: / :225: :225:) +1( :plac: + :meata: )

What's funny is that my bike already sold on Rumble On. It was only up for maybe a week. Highest mileage of all the V-rods, by nearly DOUBLE. Their checklist of the bike showed shit like "ENGINE: INTERNAL WEAR, TRANSMISSION/PRIMARY: INTERNAL WEAR, Subframe bent..."
But that didn't stop someone from biting on it asap.
Went to the page yesterday and saw it was sold
https://www.rumbleon.com/buy/1HD1HHZ107K811785
wap

razr390 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:19 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:57 am

This ain't a VW
razr390

wap wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:07 am
razr390 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:19 am

The JDM is strong with :wasteful:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:29 am
Hard to say as they really haven't had them long as you pointed out. IIRC, the RDX was the first turbo Honda vehicle circa 2008. People have been turbroing Hondas for big, reliable power for over two decades though, and they've always seemed to respond very well to that.

I'm not super concerned personally, as it has a 5/60 power train warranty, I'd say I'm safe enough.

Admittedly though, the motor is the most "meh" part of the Honda. Interior, chassis, fuel economy, handling, ergonomics are all really nice.

Good point. Good luck in whatever you choose. If the :dill: on the Shitvic is as epic as it seems, that would seem to be the logical way to go. Pity that you rank the motor as the lowest of everything you drove last week, :doe: , but if you think you can :dealwithit: ok, then :doit:
razr390

wap wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:09 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:29 am

Good point. Good luck in whatever you choose. If the :dill: on the Shitvic is as epic as it seems, that would seem to be the logical way to go. Pity that you rank the motor as the lowest of everything you drove last week, :doe: , but if you think you can :dealwithit: ok, then :doit:
Tbh I am all for the shitvic SI. If it’s that cheap, it’s a great “fun” car to pound miles on and sell it for minimal loss. :manuel: , not too ugly design, NEW (opposed to used BMW).

You already have a :poorvette: :stig: car in the garage. The daily should have creature comforts and features primarily, and the fact that it’s manuel and the “sporty” version of the car makes it that much more of a sweet :dill:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:29 am Hard to say as they really haven't had them long as you pointed out. IIRC, the RDX was the first turbo Honda vehicle circa 2008. People have been turbroing Hondas for big, reliable power for over two decades though, and they've always seemed to respond very well to that.

Yeah I mean everything pales in comparison to :ellis: . I prefer na motors, but oh well. Everything else about it I really like.
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:32 am
wap wrote: Good point. Good luck in whatever you choose. If the :dill: on the Shitvic is as epic as it seems, that would seem to be the logical way to go. Pity that you rank the motor as the lowest of everything you drove last week, :doe: , but if you think you can :dealwithit: ok, then :doit:
Yeah I mean everything pales in comparison to :ellis: . I prefer na motors, but oh well. Everything else about it I really like.
:word:
Sounds like your mind is pretty much made up then.
razr390

wap wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:36 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:32 am

Just don’t get a red one. Would hate to have two red MK7.5 gti’s On DFD
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Acid666 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:12 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:08 am

What's funny is that my bike already sold on Rumble On. It was only up for maybe a week. Highest mileage of all the V-rods, by nearly DOUBLE. Their checklist of the bike showed shit like "ENGINE: INTERNAL WEAR, TRANSMISSION/PRIMARY: INTERNAL WEAR, Subframe bent..."
In4 Rumble On experience review.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Acid666

4zilch wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:44 am
Acid666 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:12 am

In4 Rumble On experience review.
Unbelievably easy. I'll make a new post in a minute about it.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:47 pm Dan, I'd have a hard time picking between the used F30 and the Civic. That F30 has the stuff you need, none of the stuff you don't and is priced right. BUT Scale tipper for me is that your are keeping the C5 so that's where all your car modzzz and fucking around will go. Keep the Civic bone stock and enjoy the SCREAMING DEAL. New Honda that handles well for 20K +TTL? Good combo for the future, set it and forget it. Hate the Honda? No ragrets you can sell it for what you bought it for!
+1 - Court adjourned.
wap

razr390 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:42 am
wap wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:36 am

Just don’t get a red one. Would hate to have two red MK7.5 gti’s On DFD
:iswydt:
:lolol: