The time has come to join the Placidemic of 2018

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:32 am
max225 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:46 am I can’t see the brakes it has... usually the M sport brake package is distinguished by blue calipers.
Here is what I noted:
1. No hk stereo
2. No hids
3. No nav/bigger screen
4. Poverty dash
5. No moonroof (which is nice) I prefer this chassis without it, as the moon roof is tiny as is

So this is literally a completely bare bones 328i, literally the only option is Msport + that color and that’s it. :impressive: :unicorn:

Now the base stereo is actually ok, I don’t mind it. The lack of hids is :disgust: but maybe you can swap led bulbs in there and call it a day. I really like the price point of that car...
Whats the (!) on the dash mean?

I know I'm in the minority on this but I prefer the poverty dash.
No nav, eh, not a big deal just use the phone.
Good that the stereo doesn't suck, that was a weak point in base BMWs of old from what I have read.
No HIDs is a little disappointing but if that's all that is mediocre..... :iono:

in4updates
No man the poverty dash is semi lame, it’s not night and day but it’s lamer. Not a deal breaker.
The ! Means fault code, could be anything from low fuel tires or whatever else it may be. It just means attention requires
The Nav is actually very neat when paired with live traffic it works just as good as the phone, the main point however is that ugly gray plastic around the screen(since it is smaller), not a deal breaker again but just reminding you that you went to the bargain basement

Not being hard on the car just presenting all the facts
max225

Non poverty screen for comparison, btw check out when my front brakes are due

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:37 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:34 am

:dat: price is good, spec is very good, IMO it's a very good pick for a DD.

I think I would have really liked the 2 series if it were MT. I think the stick involvement would make up for lack of steering/chassis involvement.
Unpopular opinion... civic sport has better steering than the bmw, it will also ride firmer :mindblown: but other than that it’s far inferior
Yeah. My GTI had better steering than the 2 I drove but meh. Throw a stick in there and the fun factor is multiplied. I could dig it.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:43 am Image

Non poverty screen for comparison, btw check out when my front brakes are due

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You need to :stig: more.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

OK so I test drove a bunch of stuff yesterday: a 2018 Civic Si, 2018 GTI SE, 2016 BMW 328i, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2018 Fiesta ST

Keep in mind that I drove from :dillerman: to :dillerman: in the :poorvette: , so everything felt slow as hell and refined as hell.

Here are my thoughts on each:

Civic Si:

Pros:
-interior is actually really nice
-ergonomics, seats, shifter, steering wheel are great and positioned perfectly
-on my way out the door, they offered $5k off MSRP, the car will be like $20K+TTL
-free oil changes from the dealer for life, free state inspections, new warranty
-really a fun car, the chassis/handling is great and it doesn't feel as big to drive as it is
-tons of room/practicality
-MPGs are epic
seems like lowest overall cost of ownershit

Cons:
-engine is meh
-hatch looks better
-no volume knob
-can't accept trailer hitch

I sat in the Sport and I just don't like the interior nearly as much and it's the same price OTD it seems, so meh. I'd go Si Sedan. The coupe is a little short on headroom for me.

GTI:

We all know what these are about so I won't say as much, it's exactly like a MK6 with incremental improvements. Basically, this is out. They're great cars, yeah, but I just don't really want the same thing I've already owned. :iono:

328i:

Unfortunately, I can't actually test drive the one I'm considering in FL, I'll have to raw dog that if I get it. I've never driven a manual one (have driven manual 135i, Z3M, E46, E36).

Pros:
-the engine is far and away better than anything else I drove, it doesn't even feel turBRO charged, just smooth power everywhere
-super refined inside, quieter than anything else by a long shot
-I like the exterior looks of the blue M-Sport I'm considering a lot, probably the most
-Estoril, manual, poverty M Sport spec is cool, unique and rare, which I like
-roomy/comfy

Cons:
-not the most entertaining handling
-likely highest maintenance costs
-likely highest depreciation

Subaru WRX

Don't think I'd get this, but I figured why not, the only BMW 328i I could find was at the Love Dealer (BMW dealers were all closed due to the hurricane).

Pros:
-honestly, really fun to drive, great mechanical grip
-nice feeling manual shifter
-well equipped/decent inside

Cons:
-it's a Subaru
-MPG
-cost of entry/insurance

Fiesta ST:

Pros:
-it looked so awesome in orange with black wheels
-fun to drive
-MPG
-RecarBROS are sweet

Cons:
-it's pretty tiny, reduced practicality
-interior ain't the greatest
-PRICE (they will not budge off of $23.2K + TTL)
-no other ones in the area, the one I found is perfectly spec'd in orange with Recarbros, but at more than the Si or BMW, kinda tough to swallow

So where does this leave me? I think I'm 70% Civic, 30% BMW right now. I was seriously impressed with the Honda, really so much better than I expected, actually an excellent DD. It's a great combo of fun, efficiency, comfort, and value.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also, all four :dillerman: I visited were really good, no bad experiences whatsoever. No high pressure, I was honest about what I was doing and they were open about wanting to earn my business, but not pushy. Really great experience overall.

Calm before the storm hurricane day was also perfect for test drives. Traffic was minimal, :dillerman: weren't busy, cloudy and windy but essentially no rain.

:notbad:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:42 pm
It doesn't exist :doe: .
Johnny_P

:fuckyeah: so the question becomes Civic Si vs Bimmer? One has more upkeep than the other. New vs used, Si better gas mileage, etc. For a DD I'd likely lean the way you are with the Civic taking the cake but I don't think either are a bad choice. If/when the BMW breaks down you have the Vette?

:popcorn: up in here!
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:54 pm :fuckyeah: so the question becomes Civic Si vs Bimmer? One has more upkeep than the other. New vs used, Si better gas mileage, etc. For a DD I'd likely lean the way you are with the Civic taking the cake but I don't think either are a bad choice. If/when the BMW breaks down you have the Vette?

Civic all the way. You won't get labeled as a rich snob in a poverty bimmer. Do you really need two fakerich cars? :trollface:
:dat:
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:31 pm OK so I test drove a bunch of stuff yesterday: a 2018 Civic Si, 2018 GTI SE, 2016 BMW 328i, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2018 Fiesta ST

Keep in mind that I drove from :dillerman: to :dillerman: in the :poorvette: , so everything felt slow as hell and refined as hell.

Civic Si:

Pros:
-on my way out the door, they offered $5k off MSRP, the car will be like $20K+TTL
-free oil changes from the dealer for life, free state inspections, new warranty
-really a fun car, the chassis/handling is great and it doesn't feel as big to drive as it is
-MPGs are epic

Cons:
-engine is meh
-hatch looks better
-no volume knob

I sat in the Sport and I just don't like the interior nearly as much and it's the same price OTD it seems, so meh. I'd go Si Sedan. The coupe is a little short on headroom for me.

GTI:

We all know what these are about so I won't say as much, it's exactly like a MK6 with incremental improvements. Basically, this is out. They're great cars, yeah, but I just don't really want the same thing I've already owned. :iono:

328i:

Unfortunately, I can't actually test drive the one I'm considering in FL, I'll have to raw dog that if I get it. I've never driven a manual one (have driven manual 135i, Z3M, E46, E36).

Pros:
-the engine is far and away better than anything else I drove, it doesn't even feel turBRO charged, just smooth power everywhere
-I like the exterior looks of the blue M-Sport I'm considering a lot, probably the most
-roomy/comfy

Cons:

Subaru WRX

Don't think I'd get this, but I figured why not, the only BMW 328i I could find was at the Love Dealer (BMW dealers were all closed due to the hurricane).

Pros:

Cons:
-it's a Subaru
-MPG
-cost of entry/insurance

Fiesta ST:

Pros:
-fun to drive
-MPG
-RecarBROS are sweet

Cons:
-no other ones in the area, the one I found is perfectly spec'd in orange with Recarbros, but at more than the Si or BMW, kinda tough to swallow

So where does this leave me? I think I'm 70% Civic, 30% BMW right now. I was seriously impressed with the Honda, really so much better than I expected, actually an excellent DD. It's a great combo of fun, efficiency, comfort, and value.
Not surprised one bit here... but 5k off the si ? That’s :impressive: they are more used ... if they made a hatch it would be my next car the sedan is just fugly. Looks 90% like a crosstour

Also what bmw did you drive ? The grey on beige pos ? Or the M sport ?
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:02 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:54 pm :fuckyeah: so the question becomes Civic Si vs Bimmer? One has more upkeep than the other. New vs used, Si better gas mileage, etc. For a DD I'd likely lean the way you are with the Civic taking the cake but I don't think either are a bad choice. If/when the BMW breaks down you have the Vette?

Civic all the way. You won't get labeled as a rich snob in a poverty bimmer. Do you really need two fakerich cars? :trollface:
Also this. Also you're in the best position to provide feedback on the F30's durability and reliability.

Civic + roof rack + rear seat poochie protector :fuckyeah:
Johnny_P

If the Si came with the Acura 8DCT as an optional transmission I'd be interested in it.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

D Griff wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:31 pm I was seriously impressed with the Honda, really so much better than I expected, actually an excellent DD. It's a great combo of fun, efficiency, comfort, and value.
Sign here please......go Honda man. It sounds like the package deal that ticks most of the boxes. Id go Honda as well. I really like the new one''s :like:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I think the new Si is probably the best bet based on your criteria and all of the miles you'll need to put on it. I'd have given them a longer look if I'd thought $5k off MSRP was possible. That's :impressive:.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:22 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:02 pm

Also this. Also you're in the best position to provide feedback on the F30's durability and reliability.

:doge: protector? :disgust:

:doge: doesn't ride in my cars.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:31 pm OK so I test drove a bunch of stuff yesterday: a 2018 Civic Si, 2018 GTI SE, 2016 BMW 328i, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2018 Fiesta ST

Civic Si:

Pros:
-MPGs are epic

Cons:
-engine is meh
-hatch looks better
-no volume knob

GTI:

328i:

Pros:
-roomy/comfy

Cons:

Subaru WRX

Pros:

Cons:
-it's a Subaru
-MPG
-cost of entry/insurance

Fiesta ST:

Pros:
-fun to drive
-MPG
-RecarBROS are sweet

Cons:

Not surprised one bit here... but 5k off the si ? That’s :impressive: they are more used ... if they made a hatch it would be my next car the sedan is just fugly. Looks 90% like a crosstour

It was the grey Camry spec. No M-Sports around that I could find, I could go try to drive a new 330i I guess... :iono:

The Shitvic will be much more economical, probably more fun, and still really nice.

I emailed about the :dill: offer, hopefully not total fake news. He did say they put some :bs: accessory pack for $1100 on every vehicle, so really $3900 off MSRP, but that is still cool.

I offered $19.5K OTD :popcorn: .
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:14 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:06 pm

It was the grey Camry spec. No M-Sports around that I could find, I could go try to drive a new 330i I guess... :iono:

The Shitvic will be much more economical, probably more fun, and still really nice.

I emailed about the :dill: offer, hopefully not total fake news. He did say they put some :bs: accessory pack for $1100 on every vehicle, so really $3900 off MSRP, but that is still cool.

The reason why I am asking about the bmw is because the chassis/tuning is really different between the models. Having driven about 6 of them from the secretary spec to my current one, you drove the most noodly one unfortunately. I can totally see how it is not a "fun" vehicle, it is tuned for badge whoring. If you have a chance I'd recommend taking an M sport 4 cylinder out for a spin, you may or may not be pleasantly surprised. At the very least it will have better seats/steering wheel/suspension/brakes. You essentially drove a civic DX and are writing off the SI in that sense.

What color civic were you thinking. Also whats the MSRP on the shitvic. ?
max225

They are 25k out here... so you're asking for 7k off :impressive:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:22 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:14 pm

The reason why I am asking about the bmw is because the chassis/tuning is really different between the models. Having driven about 6 of them from the secretary spec to my current one, you drove the most noodly one unfortunately. I can totally see how it is not a "fun" vehicle, it is tuned for badge whoring. If you have a chance I'd recommend taking an M sport 4 cylinder out for a spin, you may or may not be pleasantly surprised. At the very least it will have better seats/steering wheel/suspension/brakes. You essentially drove a civic DX and are writing off the SI in that sense.

It's around $24,900 with destination :bs: plus $1100 in :bs: accessories, so $26,000-$5,000= $21,000 + TTL. I am thinking red or bloo.

I agree on the Bimmer, I'm sure it's much nicer which is why I'm considering it. I still really liked the engine. But... the only way to know for sure is flying to Fort Lauderdale.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:22 pm

:doge: protector? :disgust:

:doge: doesn't ride in my cars.
:yeahok: :idbu: with a back seat your car will be ripe for puppy transport
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:27 pm

It's around $24,900 with destination :bs: plus $1100 in :bs: accessories, so $26,000-$5,000= $21,000 + TTL. I am thinking red or bloo.

I agree on the Bimmer, I'm sure it's much nicer which is why I'm considering it. I still really liked the engine. But... the only way to know for sure is flying to Fort Lauderdale.
I disagree pick any M sport near you, even if it is a 4 series they are all the fk'ing same. That M sport really has a sweet spot for price. That or the civic... I'd at least spend some seat time in a comparable model.

26k and 19.5k OTD holy balls... that's a wild offer... you're asking for 8k. What bullshit accessories are they "adding" for $1100? Rubber mats? Door sill covers? Cargo organizers?

Btw I have a few questions on the SI... How does it sound?
Johnny_P

$1100 in accessories is likely a first aid kit, roadside assistance kit, floor mats, and some other bs like trunk net or whatever. I hate that shit so much, literally just price padders. Subaru is notorious for this only they are more aggressive with LED interior lights and horseshit that isn't even listed on their website as legit accessories. "Popular package 1 and 2" etc. :gag: :gtfo:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:31 pm

I disagree pick any M sport near you, even if it is a 4 series they are all the fk'ing same. That M sport really has a sweet spot for price. That or the civic... I'd at least spend some seat time in a comparable model.

26k and 19.5k OTD holy balls... that's a wild offer... you're asking for 8k. What bullshit accessories are they "adding" for $1100? Rubber mats? Door sill covers? Cargo organizers?

Btw I have a few questions on the SI... How does it sound?
Yeah it was probably a little lowball, but he threw out $19k, not me. I didn't even ask about price.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It sounded like a car, :iono: I don't really remember today TBH, so it must've not been super noticeable.