Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Dbest wrote:So following up stress test day, the day was awesome, hot as balls but tons of fun... until I wrecked an expensive vehicle.

It was actually driving back. 60mph back road, 1 lane each direction. I’m cruising at 65ish, throw my right turn signal on let off the gas. I coast for a couple seconds then start applying the brake, around 20-25 mph I see in the mirror the dickhead behind is coming in hot, I let off the brakes watching the mirror trying to decided what to do, the car is not slowing down... there’s oncoming traffic, there no shoulder, I thought fuck the turn if I keep slowing down this dude is gonna kill me. I just mashed the throttle hoping to lessen the speed differential, put my head back against the headrest, and braced for impact and it came immediately. I don’t know if this fucking guy ever even hit the brakes. Smashed directly into the back of me. He hit me hard enough that to be honest I don't even remember what exactly happened but I wasn’t able to keep it on the road, went off the right side down the ditch through a fence into a farmers field. The car is fucked. The dude that hit me and his passenger got it a lot worse then I did with airbag deployment and the ghetto lean where the seat belt shoulder strap wasn’t anywhere near actually touching their chests. I was fine, a little sore and shaken up but ok. I was not ticketed, the other driver received a couple. Because there was an accident I had to pee in a cup and get checked out by the workman’s comp / accident doctor. I’m sore, a couple bruises here and there but nothing major.

Fucking people.
Damn, that sucks!

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:15 pm Next Friday, it's getting close.
:ohdang:

IIRC you speak some French, correct?

Can I give you a piece of advice about approaching and speaking with French people? Being serious.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Also, I'm leaving for Zurich next Saturday so we'll be about the same distance apart as we are in Murica. :csb:
wap

4zilch wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:50 am
Davestr wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:29 am

Forums with enthusiasts. Many fine car events. Great roads and scenery. Think before you speak. WTF. The culture you seem to ignore and or hate actually developed the car your ass is in. Do you not think before you speak LOL. I will repost the Indy Car driver's assessment of driving in Europe. No place is perfect. The US and Europe both have significant cars and culture. You insist on living in a delusional world where only 1 is best.
:bravo:
:dat:
:bravo: Dave
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote:
:ohdang:

Can I give you a piece of advice about approaching and speaking with French people? Being serious.
I'm good with reading and writing, but only OK with speaking. Generally enough to communicate most things but not in a lot of detail.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:11 am I'm going to be hitting the mountains in the middle of nowhere, then rolling along the Southern coast and up to the Pont du Gard and into Nîmes. The car doesn't really matter, but smaller is probably better for most of the time. I did skip the Renault Twingo though, those things aren't made to leave city centers.
Good call. They are not meant for inter-city road trips. At all.
Calvinball

troyguitar wrote:
wap wrote: :ohdang:

I'm good with reading and writing, but only OK with speaking. Generally enough to communicate most things but not in a lot of detail.
As long as you start off making some effort to speak French, typically you’ll avoid the stereotypical “rude” French and they’ll switch to English for ya.

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I had no issues with "rude" french. You should experience "rude russians" :lolgasm: now that's something to behold.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Calvinball wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:44 pm
troyguitar wrote:I'm good with reading and writing, but only OK with speaking. Generally enough to communicate most things but not in a lot of detail.
As long as you start off making some effort to speak French, typically you’ll avoid the stereotypical “rude” French and they’ll switch to English for ya.

:dat: was my experience.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Calvinball

Detroit wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:44 pm As long as you start off making some effort to speak French, typically you’ll avoid the stereotypical “rude” French and they’ll switch to English for ya.

:dat: was my experience.
I haven’t actually been there, but my parents have multiple times in different areas and that was always their experience.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

brain go brrrrrr
wap

Dbest wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:19 am So following up stress test day, the day was awesome, hot as balls but tons of fun... until I wrecked an expensive vehicle.

It was actually driving back. 60mph back road, 1 lane each direction. I’m cruising at 65ish, throw my right turn signal on let off the gas. I coast for a couple seconds then start applying the brake, around 20-25 mph I see in the mirror the dickhead behind is coming in hot, I let off the brakes watching the mirror trying to decided what to do, the car is not slowing down... there’s oncoming traffic, there no shoulder, I thought fuck the turn if I keep slowing down this dude is gonna kill me. I just mashed the throttle hoping to lessen the speed differential, put my head back against the headrest, and braced for impact and it came immediately. I don’t know if this fucking guy ever even hit the brakes. Smashed directly into the back of me. He hit me hard enough that to be honest I don't even remember what exactly happened but I wasn’t able to keep it on the road, went off the right side down the ditch through a fence into a farmers field. The car is fucked. The dude that hit me and his passenger got it a lot worse then I did with airbag deployment and the ghetto lean where the seat belt shoulder strap wasn’t anywhere near actually touching their chests. I was fine, a little sore and shaken up but ok. I was not ticketed, the other driver received a couple. Because there was an accident I had to pee in a cup and get checked out by the workman’s comp / accident doctor. I’m sore, a couple bruises here and there but nothing major.

Fucking people.
Holy shit. People fucking suck. Glad you're ok.
troyguitar

So, an Elise SC but not sold in the USA? :notsure:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:59 pm I had no issues with "rude" french. You should experience "rude russians" :lolgasm: now that's something to behold.
wap

troyguitar wrote:I'm good with reading and writing, but only OK with speaking. Generally enough to communicate most things but not in a lot of detail.

Bingo. Specifically, always say "bon jour, Parlez-Vous Anglais" when you approach someone, before asking them anything. Invariably they will reply, "a leetle", then proceed to speak very decent English and be happy to help you. Otherwise, if you just go up to someone and start asking them questions in English without first exchanging pleasantries, they will act like they don't understand you. We were given this advice before our first trip to Paris and it has worked every time, including in Quebec and Martinique.
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:59 pm I had no issues with "rude" french. You should experience "rude russians" :lolgasm: now that's something to behold.
Can confirm. They're terrible. At least the tourists I've seen in other countries.
:disgust:
troyguitar

wap wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:44 pm As long as you start off making some effort to speak French, typically you’ll avoid the stereotypical “rude” French and they’ll switch to English for ya.

Bingo. Specifically, always say "bon jour, Parlez-Vous Anglais" when you approach someone, before asking them anything. Invariably they will reply, "a leetle", then proceed to speak very decent English and be happy to help you. Otherwise, if you just go up to someone and start asking them questions in English without first exchanging pleasantries, they will act like they don't understand you. We were given this advice before our first trip to Paris and it has worked every time, including in Quebec and Martinique.
I was just going to speak French as the default and try not to use any English at all. That makes sense if you don't know much French :doe: - I've heard/read different versions of that idea for the past 20 years so it must be true.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

wap wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Yeah, that didn't work at all when I was there. I'd start off with French and then ask English. Hardly anyone spoke it. Unless they were faking. :iono:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:38 pm
wap wrote:
I was just going to speak French as the default and try not to use any English at all. That makes sense if you don't know much French :doe: - I've heard/read different versions of that idea for the past 20 years so it must be true.
Good for you for just speaking French. In that case, just begin your encounters with locals with bon jour and all will be 5/7. They're just big on formalities, or, more to the point, politeness, which is understandable. The myth of the rude French is pretty much a myth when you know how to interact with them.
wap

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:16 pm
wap wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Yeah, that didn't work at all when I was there. I'd start off with French and then ask English. Hardly anyone spoke it. Unless they were faking. :iono:
Weird. I had the exact opposite experience both times I was in Paris, both times I was in Montreal, and when I was in Quebec and Martinique. So I'm 6 for 6 :iono:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Stole my handicapped spot which we both don’t qualify for
Slammmmed
Tinnntzz
Custom plate that makes no sense

I think I found my twin :wub: @dave that you ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Interesting look at the used market. Some interesting comments about Canada and buying used across the border for US folks.

https://wolfstreet.com/2018/09/10/price ... le-market/
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Davestr wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:49 am Interesting look at the used market. Some interesting comments about Canada and buying used across the border for US folks.

on the used vehicle side, midsize and compact cars are the hottest of them all with year-over-year price increases north of 8%
Interesting. "Cars are dead".
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:58 pm Image

Stole my handicapped spot which we both don’t qualify for
Slammmmed
Tinnntzz
Custom plate that makes no sense

I think I found my twin :wub: @dave that you ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotta get dat ice cream doe

Car looks good. I like the model S.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:04 am
Davestr wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:49 am Interesting look at the used market. Some interesting comments about Canada and buying used across the border for US folks.

on the used vehicle side, midsize and compact cars are the hottest of them all with year-over-year price increases north of 8%
Interesting. "Cars are dead".
Yea it is. Here's a nice plug for GM - https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sell- ... 2018-09-12