House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:40 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Where are we at on this nasty bitch?
We were notified that there are 3 other offers and given the chance to change ours. I said no, :tits: disagreed, so we upped the offer to ask. I told her I reuse to go above ask, and she agreed. The listing agent is the same tool bag we dealt with on the other house (he manages to get every single listing in the area), so apparently this is his tactic rather than highest and best. Sooo now we wait. Good news is, we either get it or we don't. Our offer "expires" at 10am tomorrow.

:popcorn:
El oh el.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:40 pm
We were notified that there are 3 other offers and given the chance to change ours. I said no, :tits: disagreed, so we upped the offer to ask. I told her I reuse to go above ask, and she agreed. The listing agent is the same tool bag we dealt with on the other house (he manages to get every single listing in the area), so apparently this is his tactic rather than highest and best. Sooo now we wait. Good news is, we either get it or we don't. Our offer "expires" at 10am tomorrow.

:popcorn:
El oh el.
Yea, no shit. If we don't get this one, I'm pulling the plug. Too much :bs:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:55 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:53 pm

El oh el.
Yeah sure pal. Michelle will just go "oh well" and back to Bag End. :bruh: Infamous is an upwardly mobile Shire resident, she would be a Took or a Brandywine in the book.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:59 pm
Yeah sure pal. Michelle will just go "oh well" and back to Bag End. :bruh: Infamous is an upwardly mobile Shire resident, she would be a Took or a Brandywine in the book.
Yea, you're not wrong.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:59 pm

:lolol:
:bravo:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

So come Montag, we will have the lawyer's response to the condo corp docs. The 2k was legal fees to establish a permanent 7 day rental status. It is now full documented that the units qualify for STR forever. The owner of the condos is only left with 6/17 units so his vote isn't majority. From now on anything that changes needs to be voted on by all 17 units.
Last edited by Tar on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So after deliberating more we are going to sign over the status cert as rejected. It's not a bad deal but we are going to find something freehold. :disappoint:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:04 pm So after deliberating more we are going to sign over the status cert as rejected. It's not a bad deal but we are going to find something freehold. :disappoint:
So all of this is suddenly nothing? Dafuq is freehold.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:24 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:04 pm So after deliberating more we are going to sign over the status cert as rejected. It's not a bad deal but we are going to find something freehold. :disappoint:
So all of this is suddenly nothing? Dafuq is freehold.
Freehold means outside of a condo corp. It can suddenly be nothing because i conditioned an offer based on my approval of the condo status certificate.

I spoke with Nicole this morning, and she really likes it's proximity to everything.

We found another cottage that looks nicer but is further from the action. The only real benefit to this house vs almost all the others around is that it has city water and sewers. The others we have seen have septic systems.

We have until Monday to make a move. The big picture is that this little hot spot gets completely booked up and the place we are looking at is a money printing machine. It sleeps 12-16 in beds out pull out couches and renters are overflowing into the closing at 2900/wk. We were going to buy a condo in Toronto for rental income, but at this price would be buying a 1 bdrm.

I guess that I'm getting cold feet and have an easy out. I need to talk to more people that i know who live with condo corps. The fact that these guys legally fought and won the seven day rental clause is a big deal. 11 out of 17 units are in private hands now so private owners now hold the majority of the votes regarding decisions that impact condo costs.

Need another day too sleep on it i guess.
ChrisoftheNorth

Welp, offer was accepted...except they wouldn't agree to our 60 day close. They wanted 30 day close with an option to stay 30 after. Makes zero sense because we were giving them that time for free with the 60, but they were adamnt for some reason. 30 day close would mean finding a buyer for bag end AND closing in under 30, which I'm not OK with. We'd be taking the first offer we got and rushing through the process, regardless of the amount and hoping it worked out which is super sketch. I refuse to touch ANY retirement accts for this crap, and there would be a good chance I'd have to in order to close if bag end sale didn't work fast enough.

:hellno:

So, we stayed firm and were notified this morning that they were going to go with another offer. K, brah. :tits: is :disappoint: with how everything went down, and I think/hope this turned her off moving for a while.

Last night we went out boozing with our neighbor friends (same age, kid haters, etc), and :tits: was starting to get nostalgic for our ability to walk downtown with like minded people and go full :drunk: "maybe this not working out is for the best" she said.

:fuckyeah:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:25 am Welp, offer was accepted...except they wouldn't agree to our 60 day close. They wanted 30 day close with an option to stay 30 after. Makes zero sense because we were giving them that time for free with the 60, but they were adamnt for some reason. 30 day close would mean finding a buyer for bag end AND closing in under 30, which I'm not OK with. We'd be taking the first offer we got and rushing through the process, regardless of the amount and hoping it worked out which is super sketch. I refuse to touch ANY retirement accts for this crap, and there would be a good chance I'd have to in order to close if bag end sale didn't work fast enough.

So, we stayed firm and were notified this morning that they were going to go with another offer. K, brah. :tits: is :disappoint: with how everything went down, and I think/hope this turned her off moving for a while.

Last night we went out boozing with our neighbor friends (same age, kid haters, etc), and :tits: was starting to get nostalgic for our ability to walk downtown with like minded people and go full :drunk: "maybe this not working out is for the best" she said.

:fuckyeah: , it worked out for the best now that Infamous appreciates the current home. You guys have a great spot from the sounds of things. I bet your house will continue to stay with the highest % gains in the region.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:37 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:25 am Last night we went out boozing with our neighbor friends (same age, kid haters, etc), and :tits: was starting to get nostalgic for our ability to walk downtown with like minded people and go full :drunk: "maybe this not working out is for the best" she said.

:mindblown:

Just stay where you are man. I'd have a hard time buying another house in the same area I already live in.

Next move will be away from here.
We love the location of the area because it makes for a quick commute to downtown Detroit without living with :mahtroy: everywhere. It would have been a solid move, but it's just not worth jumping through all the hoops.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:49 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:25 am Welp, offer was accepted...except they wouldn't agree to our 60 day close. They wanted 30 day close with an option to stay 30 after. Makes zero sense because we were giving them that time for free with the 60, but they were adamnt for some reason. 30 day close would mean finding a buyer for bag end AND closing in under 30, which I'm not OK with. We'd be taking the first offer we got and rushing through the process, regardless of the amount and hoping it worked out which is super sketch. I refuse to touch ANY retirement accts for this crap, and there would be a good chance I'd have to in order to close if bag end sale didn't work fast enough.

:fuckyeah: , it worked out for the best now that Infamous appreciates the current home. You guys have a great spot from the sounds of things. I bet your house will continue to stay with the highest % gains in the region.
Our street is currently at the highest valur maybe ever. It's not going up from here, and if anything will come down a bit over the next few years. That was somewhat prompting the move, but whatever. We really do have it good here, I'm honestly a bit relieved that it all fell apart.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:58 am
Tarspin wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:49 am

Our street is currently at the highest valur maybe ever. It's not going up from here, and if anything will come down a bit over the next few years. That was somewhat prompting the move, but whatever. We really do have it good here, I'm honestly a bit relieved that it all fell apart.
But don't all of the houses in your area move up and down together, aside from more desirable areas moving up faster?
wap

Yea that's a big :nope: so good call at hanging tough. You don't HAVE to move which puts you completely in the drivers seat. Good on you for not caving.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:28 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:58 am
But don't all of the houses in your area move up and down together, aside from more desirable areas moving up faster?
Our city (which is different from the one we were going to move to) is going through a bit of a run in popularity. It's the most liberal thinking city maybe in the state, there's a ton of cool bars and restaurants, it's only a 15 minute drive to downtown Detroit, the police force is epic so it's very safe, and the city services are solid. Most of the city is affordable too, except for the 4 streets on the northwest where we live. Here the houses are bigger and nicer, and it's the most "desirable" but the values reflect that. It's the most expensive here, but also the most succeptible to value drops when people don't want to pay the premium to be in this part of the city.

The other city we were looking at is more desirable in total, with bigger/nicer houses everywhere. The values there are ridiculously consistent, which gives us the opportunity to sell out current house at a high and buy something more stable.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Oh interesting! We have an area like yours in Toronto called Leslieville! It's a pretty cool spot. Here the trendy neighborhoods attract young buyers who are moving up in their careers and want to be super close to work and entertainment. My friend has a small place there and has made amazing gains to date so i guessed you'll be in the same stitch. I also get the big house in small neighbourhood vs small house in big established neighbourhood point of view. You'd be able to improve the place which would bring the value up.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

It's almost impossible to defeat a cash buyer. Contingent offers are pretty meh from a seller's perspective.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

They just wanted 60 days, no contingency. This whole idea of competing to buy a :haus: is very strange. I hope this shit doesn't happen to us, it'll make me hate whatever we buy.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:59 pm

It's almost impossible to defeat a cash buyer. Contingent offers are pretty meh from a seller's perspective.
We had no contingency, just wanted a little more time to close to sell our house. We know it'll sell, but not in a day like we'd need to close on new house in 30.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:13 pm They just wanted 60 days, no contingency. This whole idea of competing to buy a :haus: is very strange. I hope this shit doesn't happen to us, it'll make me hate whatever we buy.
Anywhere desirable is going to be like this, unfortunately. It's a seller's market everywhere desirable, so you'll pay too much and bend over backwards for a :dill:

I know a guy at work that liquidated a good portion of his 401k to buy his wife's "dream house" because they were in the same situation as us where the seller wanted to close asap. That's some :fullretard: shit. Wife and I at least agree on that.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:08 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:13 pm They just wanted 60 days, no contingency. This whole idea of competing to buy a :haus: is very strange. I hope this shit doesn't happen to us, it'll make me hate whatever we buy.
Anywhere desirable is going to be like this, unfortunately. It's a seller's market everywhere desirable, so you'll pay too much and bend over backwards for a :dill:

I know a guy at work that liquidated a good portion of his 401k to buy his wife's "dream house" because they were in the same situation as us where the seller wanted to close asap. That's some :fullretard: shit. Wife and I at least agree on that.
Massive tax penalties to style around. There are things more important in life than fancy kitchens and bathrooms and dat Sunset Magazine life. One is called "freedom." All those motherfuckers in Sunset are loaded. They aren't raiding their 401ks.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I just want a big garage, a level driveway, and a 1500ish sq ft :haus: with good air conditioning in a decently convenient location for an OK price. NFG about river rocks or potfillers...
wap

That's crazy stupid.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Massive tax penalties to style around. There are things more important in life than fancy kitchens and bathrooms and dat Sunset Magazine life. One is called "freedom." All those motherfuckers in Sunset are loaded. They aren't raiding their 401ks.
:dat: