:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:25 pm
Davestr wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:16 pm

No Republican here. My M2 is blue LOL :) I hate trucks and Minivans. No family needs 6klbs of Van/truck for 1 brat, 2 overweight parents and a half ounce of nutmeg from the market lol :)
Your laissez faire F-14 flying, multiple Esprit turbo/Mcar owning crotchfruit free European Formula 1 groupie existence is a special brand of elitism all it's own.
GQ needs your prose! :)
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:08 pm Poster Phi Delta Griffbalz was looking for sympathy. I gave him some at the expense of Brad and Chris. How am I going to pass that up? And while there is no question that there is a lot of moving on up here, George Jefferson, there is also a more republican flavor to the advice on this forum from dayz of Stage 1 or 2 :bruh:
To an extent, it's just aging and maturing. I joined the deadzone when I got my MK6 at 27, 5 years ago now. It's amazing how much can change in that time.

Back then, I was still carving canyons and bombing track days ZFG.

Now, I have a 443whp plastic tub that bruises Woodward a few nights a week and a lifted bro truck that I'm connected to professionally. Yea, I drive an electric pod most of the week, but now that I'm a grumpy old man, it feels good when dealing with the daily slog. Sitting in miles of bumper-to-bumper sweating my ass off in a cheapass Corbeau fixed-back seat bolted straight to the floor of my AC-less 944 Turbo has zero appeal to me anymore. Life is way better now swapping properties in Detroit and embarrassing new Mustangs on the street from time to time. But I've also grown to appreciate the sports car lyfe as just a fun thing...it's way more enjoyable that way.
So did you move? I can't keep up/don't go in the housing sub forum because everyone is negative AF. If you did, congrats :bruh: , hopefully hobbit profit was immense.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

:popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:29 pm
Detroit wrote: To an extent, it's just aging and maturing. I joined the deadzone when I got my MK6 at 27, 5 years ago now. It's amazing how much can change in that time.

Back then, I was still carving canyons and bombing track days ZFG.

Now, I have a 443whp plastic tub that bruises Woodward a few nights a week and a lifted bro truck that I'm connected to professionally. Yea, I drive an electric pod most of the week, but now that I'm a grumpy old man, it feels good when dealing with the daily slog. Sitting in miles of bumper-to-bumper sweating my ass off in a cheapass Corbeau fixed-back seat bolted straight to the floor of my AC-less 944 Turbo has zero appeal to me anymore. Life is way better now swapping properties in Detroit and embarrassing new Mustangs on the street from time to time. But I've also grown to appreciate the sports car lyfe as just a fun thing...it's way more enjoyable that way.
So did you move? I can't keep up/don't go in the housing sub forum because everyone is negative AF. If you did, congrats :bruh: , hopefully hobbit profit was immense.
Not yet. Waiting to hear if our offer was accepted. Profit potential in bag end is immense, but there's a lot up in the air at this point.

My move is :fuckyeah: if it happens. Massive lot, massive garage with room to expand, small house, nicer area with lower taxes/insurance/etc, still walking distance to Tony's.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:18 pm Pretty much all I was saying. Still want a 951 with A/C working doe.
951's are reaching collectible status, especially ones that are well cared for with crazy things like working A/C.

I'm sure glad I had mine when I did. Still one of my favorite cars yet.

@dgriff I sold that car because :tits: hated it and I didn't drive it much...the regret has been lasting, just saying.
C5 is super replaceable, will only get cheaper.

In defense of :tits: she's actually pretty tolerant of the car thing, just :triggered: by the scrape because it's "like nails on a chalkboard" to her :yeahok: .

I too love the Cayman, but a Porsche is a rich man's thing, just because I can afford to buy one, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Imminent motor grenading, the need for a dry sump to drive hard, a tool that cost four figures to reset the oil change light... These aren't things that an underpaid truck driver can really get down with.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Ahh I forgot that you are now a trackdaybro. Skip the M9*-powered poorsches, skip the convertibles that require roll bars... Get an RX8 that has 2 big oil coolers stock and runs better the harder you drive it.

Unrelated, this car is :fuckyeah: for $10k:

Rexpelagi;2135632 wrote:I'm considering selling my 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata. I've had this car for around 2.5yrs. I originally bought it to turn into an ES car, but it already had some of the Flyin Miata Little Enchilada kit on it, and it was just too much fun with the modifications. I then bought a second one, and we all know how that went...

Reason for sale: Mustang needs a transmission, because MT-82s are complete garbage. Also, I walk to work, and this rarely gets driven.

As it sits, this one has around ~48k miles, and dynoed at 199rwhp on 93. It's a blast to drive around town and on track. Technically, this would fall into BSP, although it's a bit too nice to cut fenders.

Market Price (Similar mods/mileage/condition): ~$11.5-12k
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004- ... -miata-20/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004- ... mx5-miata/

RRAX Asking Price: $10k

Here is the complete list of modifications (note that stock parts are included):

Engine:
- Flyin Miata Little Enchilada Kit (https://www.flyinmiata.com/little-enchilada.html)
- Flyin Miata Oil Cooler
- Flyin Miata Catch Can Check Valve (prevents oil from going backwards into the intake from the pan when on track)

Suspension:
- Racing Beat 1.125" Front Anti-Roll Bar
- No rear bar
- Racing Beat Front Anti-Roll Bar Support Blocks
- ISC Track Coilovers - 560lb/in Front / 336lb/in Rear

Interior:
- Boss Frog Clearview Maxx Rollbar

Wheels:
- 15x8 Konig Dial-In (4)
- 2005 Stock MSM Wheels (4)

Tires:
- 205/50R15 RE-71R (~3/32, could use replacement) - mounted on Konig
- 215/40R17 ??? no-name tires (~8/32, great road manners, crap wet traction) - mounted on 2005 MSM wheels

Cosmetic / Other:
- No rust, a few dings due to age of the vehicle, but generally one of the nicest examples I've seen

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

"Little Enchilada Kit" :notbad:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That is rad. Would drive.
troyguitar

My dad's talking about selling his XLR, he never drives it because the MI roads are garbage. Who wants an automatic Northstar-powered :poorvette: ?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote:My dad's talking about selling his XLR, he never drives it because the MI roads are garbage. Who wants an automatic Northstar-powered :poorvette: ?
:disgust: probably less scrape :doe: ?

My gf actually said that was the most hideous car she's ever seen, including the Cross Cabriolet :notsure: :tits:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:10 pm My dad's talking about selling his XLR, he never drives it because the MI roads are garbage. Who wants an automatic Northstar-powered :poorvette: ?
Other old dudes.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:13 pm
troyguitar wrote:My dad's talking about selling his XLR, he never drives it because the MI roads are garbage. Who wants an automatic Northstar-powered :poorvette: ?
:disgust: probably less scrape :doe: ?

My gf actually said that was the most hideous car she's ever seen, including the Cross Cabriolet :notsure: :tits:
Less scrape for sure, way less air dam and it runs on really large OD tarz. 235/50/18 all around.
Last edited by troyguitar on Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:53 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:52 pm

What used to be forum where members focused on fun has now turned into a depressing psychological stew of real estate depression. Airboaters with potfiller palaces hating on guys for wasting time with river rock. Guys who used to own 944 turbos now drive electric pods to work and trade hobbit holes for yellow hobbit holes with upgraded kitchens. No crotchfruit? Why have freedom when you can obsess on another trip to home depot and being in the "right" part of Detroit. Sounds hilarious just saying it. And then let's not even talk about the conversion to Petersen's 4 Wheel and Offroad forum. Because crumbling infrastructure has made everyone a Mad Max character.

The scrape and the woman hate is killing you, the Corvette is a highway and track star, not a vehicle suited to around town duties.....at all, unless street racing is your thing and even then, the C5 needs some upgraded hp to stay relevant today. Try something else.

I gotta say, the biggest problem I have with your proposed move is losing the unsung utility of the Corvette hatch for pretty much no storage. If you're ok with that, go ahead.
Hold on one second here pal.
:[user not found]: has a quattrofuglio
I have a Kamry XCE
Detroit has some modded to the sky C5
:waxer: has a full stable of vehicles from the insane to the :truk:
You, yourself have a C6 GS.
(too lazy to type out all the other great vehicles)

We all came from POS GTIs/TDIs/Golfs/whatever

IF anything we're all driving the best cars EVER. Who the FK is depressed here?
We're just a forum that realizes the side effects of certain vehicles in certain situations and we point them out, this isn't some call to revert to driving a 150k mile prius, but not acknowledging how shitty of a DD a C5 is and looking for something "else" is going :fullretard: keeping your eyes open for better options leaves room for continuous improvement.
:wrong:

I’ve never owned a VW.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar

I'm :wrong: but IMO the Northstar actually sounds better than the LS1. Dat 20th century DOHC design vs Moses-era SUHC.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:31 pm

I have a Kamry XCE

We're just a forum that realizes the side effects of certain vehicles in certain situations and we point them out, this isn't some call to revert to driving a 150k mile prius, but not acknowledging how shitty of a DD a C5 is and looking for something "else" is going :fullretard: keeping your eyes open for better options leaves room for continuous improvement.

I’ve never owned a VW.
:dat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:31 pm

I have a Kamry XCE

I’ve never owned a VW.
:sass:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:17 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:10 pm My dad's talking about selling his XLR, he never drives it because the MI roads are garbage. Who wants an automatic Northstar-powered :poorvette: ?
Other old dudes.
Have I been summoned?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:13 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:17 pm

Other old dudes.
Have I been summoned?
Ron, you may not be a spring chicken, but XLR lust is definitely still decades away.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:15 am
wap wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:13 am

Have I been summoned?
Ron, you may not be a spring chicken, but XLR lust is definitely still decades away.
Can't lie. I don't hate them. :yikes:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:25 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:15 am

There are certainly worse things
wap

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:49 am
wap wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:25 am

Perfect Margaritaville cruiser.
:dat:
It's a better Corvette for olds and won't embarrass itself on the road.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Davestr wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:05 pm https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/de ... 38376.html

Fab 308!
Oh wow its a targa too :megusta: That would be hella fun to rip around in on a Sunday. With a tubi exhaust they sound great. The QV's are relatively simple to work on too. Been repainted doe, so non-original paint. Also, IIRC the tan interior Ferraris had tan carpets to match the seats and lower dash. This doesn't, indicating it was at least partially reupholstered at some point. Custom rear valence..... No way is this worth $80k.

Cool car though.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

wap

Davestr wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:05 pm https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/de ... 38376.html

Fab 308!
:megusta: