House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:38 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:27 am

Its in a condo corp, so we added to the purchase agreement a conditional clause that says that the buyer (me) must find the condo terms and conditions satisfactory. The current owner (who also controls the condo corp because he built and manages/rents/sells the houses) has the usual snow plow/gate pass fee of $70/mth, but added some erroneous $2k fee and nobody knows why. When we asked about it the listing sales guy appologised for his mistake. Apparently he sent the old conditions doc. Then he took up all of today to send a new one, and I still dont have it.

TL;DR
The condo corp owns the most houses in the complex and has the most votes to allow for any changes and at any time as long as they are voted upon. If they decide to charge everyone $2k they can. It doesn't hurt them because they pay themselves, and shmucks like may pay them.

Also, they made up a rule in that doc that I can only rent long term (1mth), and will be charged $1k if I chose to rent my place out weekly or for a weekend. Apparently that is :wrong: too now that I pointed it out and i don't need to worry because the revised document has that revised.

So tomorrow I'm going to exercise my right to pull the plug and get my deposit back.

Still TL;DR
Fuck those guys.
Beach house with snow plow fee. :impressive:
It's a four season rental house. Some peeps go up to snowmobile and some of the homes are lived by locals.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

ah typical condo scheme fuckery.

My uncle had a penthouse beach condo. top floor. only 4 massive units on the top floor. His fees were around $3k PER MONTH....

He paid cash for the actual 4 bed unit. But still pissed away 3k ea month in fees. They tried to levee some more stuff and he ejected.

I was holding my tongue on typical condo fuckery. But yeah, #fuckcondos unless you write the rules.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:27 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:48 pm :wat:
Its in a condo corp, so we added to the purchase agreement a conditional clause that says that the buyer (me) must find the condo terms and conditions satisfactory. The current owner (who also controls the condo corp because he built and manages/rents/sells the houses) has the usual snow plow/gate pass fee of $70/mth, but added some erroneous $2k fee and nobody knows why. When we asked about it the listing sales guy appologised for his mistake. Apparently he sent the old conditions doc. Then he took up all of today to send a new one, and I still dont have it.

TL;DR
The condo corp owns the most houses in the complex and has the most votes to allow for any changes and at any time as long as they are voted upon. If they decide to charge everyone $2k they can. It doesn't hurt them because they pay themselves, and shmucks like may pay them.

Also, they made up a rule in that doc that I can only rent long term (1mth), and will be charged $1k if I chose to rent my place out weekly or for a weekend. Apparently that is :wrong: too now that I pointed it out and i don't need to worry because the revised document has that revised.

So tomorrow I'm going to exercise my right to pull the plug and get my deposit back.

Still TL;DR
Fuck those guys.
That is a fucked situation IMO.

FWIW, short term rentals (less than one month) are being scrutinized everywhere lately. Cities are mad that people are renting out space without the city getting its cut (rental permits, etc) and residents are mad that "tourists" are coming in to their neighborhoods, being noisy/disrespectful/etc, and "ruining" their living experience. My city passed an ordinance about short term rentals, and I know our favorite Michigan city, Traverse City is doing the same. They're going to make short term rentals quite a bit harder, and that's going to spread. If short term rental is something you're counting on to afford a new property, proceed with serious caution.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

0/7 would Condo.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Yeah I'm out. Hopefully.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:58 am Yeah I'm out. Hopefully.
and you sold the car. Winning

not

:disgust:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I actually called someone about a vacation :haus: in tennessee/north carolina.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:29 am :flaccid:

Fucking condo associations/HOAs. :dislike:
:dat:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:32 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:58 am Yeah I'm out. Hopefully.
and you sold the car. Winning

not

:disgust:
Where is that :salty: emoji [user not found]?

Brad,

1.) It's an 05 base vert which I sold at almost the same price that I paid for it 3 yrs ago, this isn't some :fancyroundel:

2.) It's not the only vaca property in existence. I will look at freeholds from now on
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:44 am I actually called someone about a vacation :haus: in tennessee/north :like: :doit:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Hey, at least you found this all out now, and not after you signed on the dotted line.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Also, +1 on the need for a :salty: DFDmoji.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

There will be time in your life, much later, when you are done spreading river rock. Forever. And the idea of a place your can walk away from for a month with the turn of a key will have a little better ring to it.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:58 pm

There will be time in your life, much later, when you are done spreading river rock. Forever. And the idea of a place your can walk away from for a month with the turn of a key will have a little better ring to it.
Nah, paying someone to take my freedumbs is not something I'm too terribly interested in. Not to mention, paying to live in a glorified apartment? :hellno:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I wouldn't be against a condo; if it has at least a 1 car garage with decent additional parking.
:iono: guess I've been a poor renter for too long now.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Our HOA fee is $162 which gets a manned gated entry from 7 am to 7 pm, an association building with pool you can rent for parties, etc., and road maintenance. No arbitrary fees, no big assessments, none of that.

And I'm extremely interested in a 2ND home that is a condo....so when I show up everything is high and tight and not robbed, broken into, burnt to the ground, etc. If by freedumbs you mean "chumpwork" you can have that shit all day long Walt Kowalski.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wow okay, got the amended/updated condo corp document. The 2k fee was a one time legal fee that was distributed among all 17 units to change their legal framework and allow weekly rentals. One of the condo corp members put a law suit on the corp and fought to keep weekly rentals away from the peoperty. It is now written that weekly (or weekend which is written as a 7 day) can be issued with no penalty. The remaining "snow removal l/gate fee" of 64/mth stays as is.

If we buy in, we wouldn't be paying this "one time" fee, the seller does.

What say you folks? Halp. Fack.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:29 pm Wow okay, got the amended/updated condo corp document. The 2k fee was a one time legal fee that was distributed among all 17 units to change their legal framework and allow weekly rentals. One of the condo corp members put a law suit on the corp and fought to keep weekly rentals away from the peoperty. It is now written that weekly (or weekend which is written as a 7 day) can be issued with no penalty. The remaining "snow removal l/gate fee" of 64/mth stays as is.

Tar, I came in kind of late to this, so what do you need help with exactly? Here's the issue that springs to my mind....are you relying on short term rental income to have this condo make sense? If so, the question is whether your rights to STR vest as of the date of purchase....e.g. you bought it when STR were allowed, that can't be taken away from you. That's not the way it works in the U.S. for the most part, so financing a purchase based on STR income is very, very risky. Who knows which way the political winds of change will blow? All it takes is a few STRenters to ruin a good deal for everyone.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:45 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:29 pm Wow okay, got the amended/updated condo corp document. The 2k fee was a one time legal fee that was distributed among all 17 units to change their legal framework and allow weekly rentals. One of the condo corp members put a law suit on the corp and fought to keep weekly rentals away from the peoperty. It is now written that weekly (or weekend which is written as a 7 day) can be issued with no penalty. The remaining "snow removal l/gate fee" of 64/mth stays as is.

Tar, I came in kind of late to this, so what do you need help with exactly? Here's the issue that springs to my mind....are you relying on short term rental income to have this condo make sense? If so, the question is whether your rights to STR vest as of the date of purchase....e.g. you bought it when STR were allowed, that can't be taken away from you. That's not the way it works in the U.S. for the most part, so financing a purchase based on STR income is very, very risky. Who knows which way the political winds of change will blow? All it takes is a few STRenters to ruin a good deal for everyone.
So it was deemed in court that 15 of the 17 voters agree that STR is beneficial for the condo corp being that it is situated in the heart of a vacay destination spot. Documentation on the corp were outdated, and we just got the fresh docs.

The legal fees were absorbed by the corp as a whole, so each unit got a one time 2k special fee. Otherwise the fee is outlined at 64/mth.

The unit has at least ten privately owned units so the voting structure looks to be legit. More units will hit the market sooner then later as the developers are pushing to cash out.

There is now one unit sold for 20k more and my offer plus the other conditionally sold unit went for asking price of 480k. The other unit was also waiting on the updated condo corp docs and just firmed up today.

Big picture, i want the rental income to supplement our expenses but don't need them to afford the unit. The STR agreement makes the property much more lucrative for resale. Losing that term would be a downer on valuations.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:58 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:45 pm

So it was deemed in court that 15 of the 17 voters agree that STR is beneficial for the condo corp being that it is situated in the heart of a vacay destination spot. Documentation on the corp were outdated, and we just got the fresh docs.

The legal fees were absorbed by the corp as a whole, so each unit got a one time 2k special fee. Otherwise the fee is outlined at 64/mth.

The unit has at least ten privately owned units so the voting structure looks to be legit. More units will hit the market sooner then later as the developers are pushing to cash out.

There is now one unit sold for 20k more and my offer plus the other conditionally sold unit went for asking price of 480k. The other unit was also waiting on the updated condo corp docs and just firmed up today.

Big picture, i want the rental income to supplement our expenses but don't need them to afford the unit. The STR agreement makes the property much more lucrative for resale. Losing that term would be a downer on valuations.
Even at a $25% discount, you guys have some crazy prices for shit buried in snow part of the year.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Snow is a feature. Skiing, snowmobiling, hell some morans even enjoy ice fishing. :fullretard:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:06 pm Snow is a feature. Skiing, snowmobiling, hell some morans even enjoy ice fishing. :fullretard:
Fair enough. Places like Telluride and Aspen are :fullretard: examples of that. But I believe it's just snow machines and ice fishing in Tar country. I think my overall point is that Toronto and everything around it is expensive af, just like all of the Philadelphia stuff we've talked about.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:33 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:06 pm Snow is a feature. Skiing, snowmobiling, hell some morans even enjoy ice fishing. :fullretard:
Fair enough. Places like Telluride and Aspen are :fullretard: examples of that. But I believe it's just snow machines and ice fishing in Tar country. I think my overall point is that Toronto and everything around it is expensive af, just like all of the Philadelphia stuff we've talked about.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 am
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:00 am That is very yellow.

Otherwise :notbad: :like:
Fucking McDonald's color scheme on the outside is pretty bad, but whatever. Paint is NBD. Hopefully it deters others. It is stucco on most, so maybe it could be sand blasted.

New furnace, AC, windows, roof. It just needs some cosmetic freshening, which is NBD to us. Could paint the bish in a week.
Where are we at on this nasty bitch?
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 am
Fucking McDonald's color scheme on the outside is pretty bad, but whatever. Paint is NBD. Hopefully it deters others. It is stucco on most, so maybe it could be sand blasted.

New furnace, AC, windows, roof. It just needs some cosmetic freshening, which is NBD to us. Could paint the bish in a week.
Where are we at on this nasty bitch?
We were notified that there are 3 other offers and given the chance to change ours. I said no, :tits: disagreed, so we upped the offer to ask. I told her I reuse to go above ask, and she agreed. The listing agent is the same tool bag we dealt with on the other house (he manages to get every single listing in the area), so apparently this is his tactic rather than highest and best. Sooo now we wait. Good news is, we either get it or we don't. Our offer "expires" at 10am tomorrow.

:popcorn: