:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:59 am
It was so panned for the solid axle, but I remember driving a 5.0 and remarking at how great it was, despite the rear end. It's really more a perception thing than anything else.
It was alright at best. A friend of mine had one. Definitely did the side-to-side shimmy over broken road surfaces like a pickup truck.
:iono: I hammered one through the Malibu canyons back in the day and it did quite well. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:59 am
It was so panned for the solid axle, but I remember driving a 5.0 and remarking at how great it was, despite the rear end. It's really more a perception thing than anything else.
side-to-side shimmy over broken road surfaces like a pickup truck.
:triggered:
:gtfo:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

FYI if you want a great S2K for $15k, this guy is down to asking $15k for his:

drhodes;2127126 wrote:2006 S2000 setup for STR. 87932 Miles. Great mechanical condition except for a few autocross scars. Located in St.Louis MO.

-Gendron 1-1/4" hollow bar with ball bearing mounts

-Jays S1 camber joints

-17x9 volk CE28s et63 with RE71R.

-17x9 TRMC3 wheels with RE71R

-Stock wheels with Potenza RE970AS

-K+N intake

- Moton club sports (rebuilt 1/16)

-Tuned Hondata Flashpro

-T1R EM70 titanium exhaust

-Karcepts rear bar

-PLM header

-Berk 70mm high flow cat

-SPC ball joints

-OS Geiken rear diff 1.5

-Hasport rear diff mounts

-Science of speed hood dampers

-Shoei Lion battery and charger

-Speedbleeders all calipers

-Stainless Steel brake lines

-New top from Topsonline. Cloth with 6 year warranty, glass and defrost.

-New seats from leatherseats.com, premium double stitch.

-Clutch, Flywheel, and seal replaced summer 13 by Dealer.

-Axle assemblies replaced summer 13 by Dealer.

- Chase Race quick removal trailer hitch.

Currently running #600 rear and #750 front springs, have #650 rear and OEM rear bar

Also am selling Kaufman 20' Full tilt trailer with steel deck and electronic brakes on both axles.

Will sell car trailer package for 26k. Could possibly deliver depending on distance.

https://i.imgur.com/w5Q2J3O.jpg

deanbrhodes gmail
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:24 pm

side-to-side shimmy over broken road surfaces like a pickup truck.
:whocares: it'll go in a mostly straight line very quickly and lay 11's all day.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:03 am
Johnny_P wrote:
Small and immovable steering wheel. Complete lack of storage. Old at this point so ragtops will leak and whatnot. Will probably get stolen whereas your vette won't and will attract more hooters girls.
The girl that actually has sex with me hates the vette.

Also newer, lower miles than my vette.

True points though.

What about good old fashioned :plac: though? Is that not acceptable around here anymore unless you're buying a $40k :truk: ?

:rage: :rage: :rage:
:rage: :rolleyes: :rage:
What used to be forum where members focused on fun has now turned into a depressing psychological stew of real estate depression. Airboaters with potfiller palaces hating on guys for wasting time with river rock. Guys who used to own 944 turbos now drive electric pods to work and trade hobbit holes for yellow hobbit holes with upgraded kitchens. No crotchfruit? Why have freedom when you can obsess on another trip to home depot and being in the "right" part of Detroit. Sounds hilarious just saying it. And then let's not even talk about the conversion to Petersen's 4 Wheel and Offroad forum. Because crumbling infrastructure has made everyone a Mad Max character.

The scrape and the woman hate is killing you, the Corvette is a highway and track star, not a vehicle suited to around town duties.....at all, unless street racing is your thing and even then, the C5 needs some upgraded hp to stay relevant today. Try something else.

I gotta say, the biggest problem I have with your proposed move is losing the unsung utility of the Corvette hatch for pretty much no storage. If you're ok with that, go ahead.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:52 pm

True points though.

What about good old fashioned :plac: though? Is that not acceptable around here anymore unless you're buying a $40k :truk: ?

What used to be forum where members focused on fun has now turned into a depressing psychological stew of real estate depression. Airboaters with potfiller palaces hating on guys for wasting time with river rock. Guys who used to own 944 turbos now drive electric pods to work and trade hobbit holes for yellow hobbit holes with upgraded kitchens. No crotchfruit? Why have freedom when you can obsess on another trip to home depot and being in the "right" part of Detroit. Sounds hilarious just saying it. And then let's not even talk about the conversion to Petersen's 4 Wheel and Offroad forum. Because crumbling infrastructure has made everyone a Mad Max character.

The scrape and the woman hate is killing you, the Corvette is a highway and track star, not a vehicle suited to around town duties.....at all, unless street racing is your thing and even then, the C5 needs some upgraded hp to stay relevant today. Try something else.

I gotta say, the biggest problem I have with your proposed move is losing the unsung utility of the Corvette hatch for pretty much no storage. If you're ok with that, go ahead.
:amazing:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

C5 hatch+hitch utility is real. It's something stupid like 27 cu ft in the back, plus the :truk: motor means you can tow something easily if necessary for the annual home depot run.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:58 pm C5 hatch+hitch utility is real. It's something stupid like 27 cu ft in the back, plus the :truk: motor means you can tow something easily if necessary for the annual home depot run.
If only it had more ride height and suspension travel, it'd be perfect.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:37 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:24 pm

:whocares: it'll go in a mostly straight line very quickly and lay 11's all day.
:howdareu: insult :truk: 's FWIW, my C5 was terrible on uneven pavement it felt like a solid rear car... Dat Leaf Spring Lyfe
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote:
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:03 amThe girl that actually has sex with me
Low blow

I love S2K's though. Go for it. That's a nice one and you've been rather :eeyore: about your car lately anyway. You won't lose anything by getting this, you'll be able to resell it next year for same amount if you decide it's not for you. Just be sure you fit in it, they're..... tight.... for the linebacker crew.
:lolol: the sex comment was in regard to impressing hooters chicks, not meant to be a blow.

@Detroit, :tits: would absolutely like it more, she hates the C5 only because of the scrape. It sucks because she's all :triggered: every scrape which is every drive which really takes some fun out of it. She loves convertibles.

Maybe it's just our roads, but the scraping thing really blows to me :iono: .

I've always loved the S2K though, my real dream of an nsx ain't happening, so why not? C5 seems to drop a grand a year whereas S2000s have been the same since 2011.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Low blow

I love S2K's though. Go for it. That's a nice one and you've been rather :eeyore: about your car lately anyway. You won't lose anything by getting this, you'll be able to resell it next year for same amount if you decide it's not for you. Just be sure you fit in it, they're..... tight.... for the linebacker crew.
:lolol: the sex comment was in regard to impressing hooters chicks, not meant to be a blow.

@Detroit, :tits: would absolutely like it more, she hates the C5 only because of the scrape. It sucks because she's all :triggered: every scrape which is every drive which really takes some fun out of it. She loves convertibles.

Maybe it's just our roads, but the scraping thing really blows to me :iono: .

I've always loved the S2K though, my real dream of an nsx ain't happening, so why not? C5 seems to drop a grand a year whereas S2000s have been the same since 2011.
Take the air scoop off or cut it ? :iono: it is far worse pulling into a place, with people having dinner etc, and then scrapping your way in while everyone turns their head and stares you down.
ChrisoftheNorth

What's scraping? The front air dam?
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:32 pm What's scraping? The front air dam?
What else :lol: the signature feature on GM products ranging from C5 to Volt to Colorado
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:38 pm
What else :lol: the signature feature on GM products ranging from C5 to Volt to Colorado
:dat: Doesn't the C5 air dam contribute to cooling?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:43 pm

:dat: Doesn't the C5 air dam contribute to cooling?
Yep, once you get up to speed. :gay: Just gonna make the fans work harder.
ChrisoftheNorth

Neither ever scrapes, :doe:

My :poorvette: scrapes sometimes, but it's hardly regular enough to cause :rage: Often times, I can't even tell.

I guess if you lived in an area with a lot of steep driveways or whatever, that would get annoying. But I feel like if it's that bad, ANY sports car will do it. And that's my point. S2K is just a :plac: move, nothing else. And that's fine.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
max225 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:38 pm What else Image the signature feature on GM products ranging from C5 to Volt to Colorado

My :poorvette: scrapes sometimes, but it's hardly regular enough to cause :rage: Often times, I can't even tell.

I guess if you lived in an area with a lot of steep driveways or whatever, that would get annoying. But I feel like if it's that bad, ANY sports car will do it. And that's my point. S2K is just a :plac: move, nothing else. And that's fine.
My C5 scraped in 3 unavoidable spots within 1/4 mile of my house, coming or going. My RX8 that's an inch lower than stock doesn't scrape anywhere. The lowest part of the C5 was like 2.5" off the ground, RX8 is more like 3.75" now.
troyguitar

That being said, if I were to get another C5 then I'd just chop off an inch or so from the air dams NFG.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

True points though.

This is an accurate commentary. TBH, I have to just leave the money/real estate threads anymore. This place will really make one feel like the world is ending, until you raise your head, look out at actual life off of the internet, and realize, it's going to be OK, man. Some members work hard to rain on what used to be my eternal optimism.

The size is definitely a consideration... S2000 as an only car might be even stupider than C5 as an only car, but man, do I hate the scrape. I could just buy a Fiesta ST and keep the C5 now, but that seems frivolous. I guess I could get a used Honda Fit and keep the C5, but that seems depressing.

:notsure:

There just aren't that many vehicles that I really want to own/make sense for me.

I want small, :manuel: , RWD, and somewhat livable day to day. I think the FRS really would be the best thing for me, but man, what a downgrade from an LS1 to a turd motor with no powah. At least the S2000 is interesting while being slow.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:49 pm

Nah man... Detroit is flat as fuck. California is not. North Carolina is not. Yes, my air damn scrapes. The metal frame things that stick down between it also scrape everywhere. The bumper occasionally even scrapes. I had the center of the car bottom out on a parking deck ramp.

Max and I are the only ones here who have ever actually DDed these cars and seem to be the only ones who are realistic about how bad the ride/scraping it.

You live in a city that is totally flat and the most sprawled suburban set up in America with massive parking lots everywhere, wide, open roads, etc. Most cities aren't like that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also, that any sports car will scrape thing is :bs:

This year I've driven at least 1,000 miles in other sports cars (Fiata, Cayman S, etc) and never scraped once. It's a Corvette thing, the air dam/approach angles are ridiculous.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:24 pm

This is an accurate commentary. TBH, I have to just leave the money/real estate threads anymore. This place will really make one feel like the world is ending, until you raise your head, look out at actual life off of the internet, and realize, it's going to be OK, man. Some members work hard to rain on what used to be my eternal optimism.

The size is definitely a consideration... S2000 as an only car might be even stupider than C5 as an only car, but man, do I hate the scrape. I could just buy a Fiesta ST and keep the C5 now, but that seems frivolous. I guess I could get a used Honda Fit and keep the C5, but that seems depressing.

There just aren't that many vehicles that I really want to own/make sense for me.

I want small, :manuel: , RWD, and somewhat livable day to day. I think the FRS really would be the best thing for me, but man, what a downgrade from an LS1 to a turd motor with no powah. At least the S2000 is interesting while being slow.
If I were in your garageless shoes I would but the FIST or even a FOST or even back to a GTI and just sell the phallus outright. Let's take a poll:

1. Detroit: C5 is in garage, special day car.
2. Waxer: Same
3. Acid Same, although often modfied for Auto X with JB Weld.
4. Me Same
5. Melon Same
6. Troy Always had the vibe backup, now enjoys the scrape free life.

You are the only guy who has to turn the key on his Corvette to go get beer and Fritos, and its' parked outside. Why don't you just get another one (upgrade at that) after you do the inevitable with your woman, buy a bigger place, etc. Get something you can enjoy that is a flexible DD. It's not like driving a GTI sucks, I still miss mine.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

True points though.

POTD

I think Tokyo Griff should go JDM AF on the S2K. :doit: It's a car I always wanted to try out but never quite came to fruition. Alternative would be an ND or Fiat 124 but they're a lot more money. This has VTEC and will be hilarious to rip around in, slow or not. You sit on the ground, the engine absolutely screams, and you have a motorcycle gauge cluster. What's not to love? So there's no place to put your Shitbux Mocha Pumpkin Spice Double Frappachino with sprinkles.... :whocares: Throw a hitch on it, and scream at 8k RPM to the mountains to ride your bike.

Sounds pretty god damn :fuckyeah: to me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:24 pm

If I were in your garageless shoes I would but the FIST or even a FOST or even back to a GTI and just sell the phallus outright. Let's take a poll:

1. Detroit: C5 is in garage, special day car.
2. Waxer: Same
3. Acid Same, although often modfied for Auto X with JB Weld.
4. Me Same
5. Melon Same
6. Troy Always had the vibe backup, now enjoys the scrape free life.

You are the only guy who has to turn the key on his Corvette to go get beer and Fritos, and its' parked outside. Why don't you just get another one (upgrade at that) after you do the inevitable with your woman, buy a bigger place, etc. Get something you can enjoy that is a flexible DD. It's not like driving a GTI sucks, I still miss mine.
A "hot hatch" would for sure be the reasonable move. Could even get into something a little better, a 235i M Sport is only like $25k. I don't think I would take a BMW to the track though... such time bomb.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:52 pm What used to be forum where members focused on fun has now turned into a depressing psychological stew of real estate depression. Airboaters with potfiller palaces hating on guys for wasting time with river rock. Guys who used to own 944 turbos now drive electric pods to work and trade hobbit holes for yellow hobbit holes with upgraded kitchens. No crotchfruit? Why have freedom when you can obsess on another trip to home depot and being in the "right" part of Detroit. Sounds hilarious just saying it. And then let's not even talk about the conversion to Petersen's 4 Wheel and Offroad forum. Because crumbling infrastructure has made everyone a Mad Max character.

You are describing my car. Especially since you don't drive enough miles to care about getting 16 mpg... Find a nicely kept 09-11 RX8, ideally an R3 model.