Is it even possible to be completely "open-minded"?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I'm asking because there came a point in my life where I began to value being open-minded and that was at about age 18... so half a lifetime ago at this point.

Now, with hindsight at my disposal, I can pinpoint a number of ways that I actually wasn't open-minded. Sure in some aspects I was But not so much in others. Thus the word "completely" is the word we are considering here.

If you go back in time to any given point on the timeline between now and when I was 18 and asked me the question "Do you consider yourself open minded?" I wouldn't have hesitated to emphatically say yes. But it is clear to me now that I absolutely was not. I still feel that I am but in ten years time I bet I will be able to pinpoint another way in which I was not.

So now I'm wondering if it is even possible to be completely open-minded? What do you think?
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Not with a close-minded attitude like that.
SAWCE

Real answer: I think everyone has at least one thing that they will be inheriently hesitant to accept unconditionally. What's important is that you can see that you've grown in the last 10 years, and that you know you'll continue to grow and be able to look back on today and see that growth in the future.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:07 pm Real answer: I think everyone has at least one thing that they will be inheriently hesitant to accept unconditionally. What's important is that you can see that you've grown in the last 10 years, and that you know you'll continue to grow and be able to look back on today and see that growth in the future.
This hits the nail on the head. I think being open-minded doesn’t mean in the present or wholely. I think what’s best, like :sawce: said, is being “open-minded” to learning from mistakes and growing as a result. By that logic, it is never a 0% or 100% but progression from 0.00000001% to 99.99999999% throughout life.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

no, everyone's lens threw viewing life is different.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

The only way to be entirely open-minded is to have no thoughts at all.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:24 pm The only way to be entirely open-minded is to have no thoughts at all.
:notbad:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:24 pm The only way to be entirely open-minded is to have no thoughts at all.
:wrong:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:06 pm Not with a close-minded attitude like that.
Ha!
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

So no mind equals open mind?

:mindblown:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Thedude wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:00 pm

I mean, if you have thoughts on anything then those thoughts influence how you think about anything else. :iono:
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:09 pm
Thedude wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:00 pm

I mean, if you have thoughts on anything then those thoughts influence how you think about anything else. :iono:
I see. This implicitly separates memory from intellect. Removing all memory or totally erasing mind creates the blank canvas from which the intellectual aspect of the mind can be open... if only for a while...
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

^More I think about this the more I like it. From a reincarnation perspective... if you're open to that...it makes total sense why we're typically born without memory of past lives as it'd be nearly impossible to have a chance at having an open mind otherwise.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:06 pm Not with a close-minded attitude like that.
:bravo:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Thedude wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:55 pm ^More I think about this the more I like it. From a reincarnation perspective... if you're open to that...it makes total sense why we're typically born without memory of past lives as it'd be nearly impossible to have a chance at having an open mind otherwise.
So who, or what, is responsible for that memory wipe?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

wap wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:02 pm
Thedude wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:55 pm ^More I think about this the more I like it. From a reincarnation perspective... if you're open to that...it makes total sense why we're typically born without memory of past lives as it'd be nearly impossible to have a chance at having an open mind otherwise.
This actually ties to a conversation we were having earlier. What we can say for sure is that our mind is an accumulation of memories and experiences. It is yours but not you.

In rare circumstances you hear about people that are somehow able to bring with them the memories/experiences of past lives. Some of these cases are well documented. I think that remembering is the exception and it is the individual being that is somehow responsible for (intentionally or unintentionally) carrying those memories/experiences with them, rather than someone/something being responsible for wiping it.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:07 pm Real answer: I think everyone has at least one thing that they will be inheriently hesitant to accept unconditionally. What's important is that you can see that you've grown in the last 10 years, and that you know you'll continue to grow and be able to look back on today and see that growth in the future.
:clap:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:mahtroy:

go back to MIT
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:29 pm
:dat:

I'd buy :mahtroy: a budweiser for dat.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:02 pm
:caspian:

chem trails. duh
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

What if we are just animals who evolved like everything else and were born by chance and will die and turn to dust?

I mean, I'd like to think we are something special but it's all just unjustified wishful thinking trying to give meaning to the meaningless
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 pm What if we are just animals who evolved like everything else and were born by chance and will die and turn to dust?

I mean, I'd like to think we are something special but it's all just unjustified wishful thinking trying to give meaning to the meaningless

Back on topic, the best way to keep an open of a mind as possible is to just listen to what the other person has to say. Don't interrupt, or project body language showing disbelief, or offense, just listen.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

That's in person, the internet it totally different. It's ok to go all out in regards to name calling.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Melon wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:20 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 pm What if we are just animals who evolved like everything else and were born by chance and will die and turn to dust?

Back on topic, the best way to keep an open of a mind as possible is to just listen to what the other person has to say. Don't interrupt, or project body language showing disbelief, or offense, just listen.

Most of us have preconceived notions through our upbringing and life experiences. To be open minded, in that context, is to listen and be willing to consider an alternative point of view.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Melon wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:20 am

This is the hardest thing for pretty much everyone (myself included). Truly open listening and consideration of the other side gets you much closer to "open mindedness". However, I think inherently, all creatures have a side on a position at start. It's in nature, but rooted in memory. My dog for example was abused before we got her. If we raise a hand to her, she cringes. We've never hit her, but from memory her initial thought is that we're going to hit her. It's a simple example, but she's clearly not open-minded enough to assume that we won't hit her even though we never have. This is a dog with severely limited cognitive capacity.

I think Troy's right on the money here.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.