Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:40 pm
People say this "control" thing, but I've never experienced it myself. I really prefer wheeling an auto after wheeling both extensively.
I think it's more like crawling down a hill in 1st and letting the engine brake for you in 4lo or whatever, vs having the tranny shift to god knows what.. or trying to "power" up a hill and having the trans shift up a gear and lose momentum etc... but most modern autos are a) manually selectable and have specific modes for both.
Autos also have hill descent control.

My buddy that has a $50k in mods JK and goes to Moab and the Rubicon trail all the time says his JL will be an automatic. He regrets buying and modding his manual for the harder stuff. He says that when his jeep was stock + a small lift and tires the stick was great, but after some more big mods to get serious he regretted the stick because it just made everything on the trails harder than it needs to be.

Maybe that's age talking, but I can see it in this case. Normally I would opt for a :manuel: every time if it was my vehicle.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:21 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:05 pm

I think it's more like crawling down a hill in 1st and letting the engine brake for you in 4lo or whatever, vs having the tranny shift to god knows what.. or trying to "power" up a hill and having the trans shift up a gear and lose momentum etc... but most modern autos are a) manually selectable and have specific modes for both.

My buddy that has a $50k in mods JK and goes to Moab and the Rubicon trail all the time says his JL will be an automatic. He regrets buying and modding his manual for the harder stuff. He says that when his jeep was stock + a small lift and tires the stick was great, but after some more big mods to get serious he regretted the stick because it just made everything on the trails harder than it needs to be.

Maybe that's age talking, but I can see it in this case. Normally I would opt for a :manuel: every time if it was my vehicle.
Yeah I can see where a manual would make exXxtreme crawling more difficult, but I don't plan on going :fullretard: with either mods or crawling.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Yeah I can see where a manual would make exXxtreme crawling more difficult, but I don't plan on going :fullretard: with either mods or crawling.
Me either.

I would have bought a stick, but the JK was, and the JL is primarily for :tits:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I thought the main actual benny to the stick was durability? Like, ford a river and you can still drive it kind of thing. Less likely to break (clutch notwithstanding) and strand you on a trail compared to an automatic that could overheat or break electronicals, etc.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:02 pm

The newest autos with automatic hill descent control are :mindblown:

I'm firmly on that ship now.
Don't all the actual off roaders plus about a quarter of the faux-roaders have hill descent now?

Crosstrek has that :jimp:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:10 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:02 pm

The newest autos with automatic hill descent control are :mindblown:

I'm firmly on that ship now.
Don't all the actual off roaders plus about a quarter of the faux-roaders have hill descent now?

Not ones with :manuel:

The old system in my Xterra was pretty shittastic compared to the Jeep system. That much I know for sure.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Not ones with :manuel:

The old system in my Xterra was pretty shittastic compared to the Jeep system. That much I know for sure.
Right, the automatic ones
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Hill descent control in the Colorado is 5/7.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:29 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Me either.

Horse Cock shifter doe.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:59 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:29 pm

Me either.

Horse Cock shifter doe.
New ones have a buttplug. Horsecock was the JK.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:26 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Horse Cock shifter doe.
I dunno man, that's a pretty big BP.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:19 pm Hill descent control in the Colorado is 5/7.
The engine braking in my Colorado is :amazing:
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:39 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:26 pm

You get used to it.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:06 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:39 pm

You get used to it.
:hue:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:32 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:06 pm

You get used to it.
:hue:
There's no coming back from that kind of stretchage. :yikes:
SAWCE

Le sigh.. I get home last night, and someone is in my parking spot, forcing me to take the one available spot between them and a chain link fence. Pulling into the spot (music was on and windows were up) and all the sudden I see the fence shake and one of the posts wiggle... Didn't think I was nearly that close to it. Hopped out to check the damage, and god damn these plastic bumpers are soft. Completely dented in one of the platic end caps on my front bumper. I must have hit it just right in some weak spot, cause I was going pretty slow since I was parking, and I didn't feel the contact at all.

So now.. do I snag the take off Willy's bumper that I found on a forum up in Culver City for $150 (maybe try to get it for $100-120 since dude said it's been chilling in his garage for a bit and he wants it gone).. or do I accept the fact that I was probably going to put metal bumpers/fenders on anyways, and just use that $150 towards that now and pick out a metal bumper I like?

Spend $150ish now, and possibly $500-600 later, or just pony up the $500-600 now?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:16 am Le sigh.. I get home last night, and someone is in my parking spot, forcing me to take the one available spot between them and a chain link fence. Pulling into the spot (music was on and windows were up) and all the sudden I see the fence shake and one of the posts wiggle... Didn't think I was nearly that close to it. Hopped out to check the damage, and god damn these plastic bumpers are soft. Completely dented in one of the platic end caps on my front bumper. I must have hit it just right in some weak spot, cause I was going pretty slow since I was parking, and I didn't feel the contact at all.

So now.. do I snag the take off Willy's bumper that I found on a forum up in Culver City for $150 (maybe try to get it for $100-120 since dude said it's been chilling in his garage for a bit and he wants it gone).. or do I accept the fact that I was probably going to put metal bumpers/fenders on anyways, and just use that $150 towards that now and pick out a metal bumper I like?

Spend $150ish now, and possibly $500-600 later, or just pony up the $500-600 now?
Sucks man... This is why I recommend the metal bumpers and the black fenders vs painted.. The black plastic fenders are cheaper to replace.

I required metal bumpers on the JL and had them on the JK. When the JK was in the Safelite shop for a windshield repair (no at-home appointments in the near future) the moron was backing my JK out when another moron was backing an A4 in and they collided. My rear bumper connected with the fender of the A4, peeling the fender back and into the tire on the A4. Probably $2000 in total damage including the tire. Damage to my JK: a tiny bit of black paint off the rear bumper corner. I had it inspected and it was straight, the shop even told me just to rattle can it so there wouldn't be any "repair" on the carfax.
SAWCE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:24 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:16 am Le sigh.. I get home last night, and someone is in my parking spot, forcing me to take the one available spot between them and a chain link fence. Pulling into the spot (music was on and windows were up) and all the sudden I see the fence shake and one of the posts wiggle... Didn't think I was nearly that close to it. Hopped out to check the damage, and god damn these plastic bumpers are soft. Completely dented in one of the platic end caps on my front bumper. I must have hit it just right in some weak spot, cause I was going pretty slow since I was parking, and I didn't feel the contact at all.

Sucks man... This is why I recommend the metal bumpers and the black fenders vs painted.. The black plastic fenders are cheaper to replace.

I required metal bumpers on the JL and had them on the JK. When the JK was in the Safelite shop for a windshield repair (no at-home appointments in the near future) the moron was backing my JK out when another moron was backing an A4 in and they collided. My rear bumper connected with the fender of the A4, peeling the fender back and into the tire on the A4. Probably $2000 in total damage including the tire. Damage to my JK: a tiny bit of black paint off the rear bumper corner. I had it inspected and it was straight, the shop even told me just to rattle can it so there wouldn't be any "repair" on the carfax.
Yeah the black plastic on mine seems cheap enough to replace, espeically if I get someone's used bumper like Culver CIty bro.. but I might go metal just since I know it's something I want down the road.

Initial research had me leaning towards Metal Cloak, but not sure I absolutely love them.. Kinda like one of the Smittybilt ones.. Most of my time today will be spent trying to decide on one.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Yep, I'd metal bumpers as well. I wonder if you could find take-off JK metal bumpers from a bro that upgraded to aftermarket for cheap?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Dang. Sorry dude. Do you know who the :jackass: was that took your spot?

As to your question, I say look at this as an opportunity to get the metal bumpers now. You were going to do it anyway so just :doit: now.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 am

Yeah the black plastic on mine seems cheap enough to replace, espeically if I get someone's used bumper like Culver CIty bro.. but I might go metal just since I know it's something I want down the road.

Initial research had me leaning towards Metal Cloak, but not sure I absolutely love them.. Kinda like one of the Smittybilt ones.. Most of my time today will be spent trying to decide on one.
IIRC you can get Metal Cloak to build custom bumpers for what you want? IE. Find the base width you want then add any options you want, D-rings, stinger, light mounts, etc.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:31 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 am

IIRC you can get Metal Cloak to build custom bumpers for what you want? IE. Find the base width you want then add any options you want, D-rings, stinger, light mounts, etc.
Yeah you can, but they also have some of the more popular kits they've seen built available for you to just choose that. I like their 1401 kit. I'll link it in a second.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:29 am

Dang. Sorry dude. Do you know who the :jackass: was that took your spot?

As to your question, I say look at this as an opportunity to get the metal bumpers now. You were going to do it anyway so just :doit: now.
People looking at the upstairs unit with the property manager.. As they were leaving I thought I heard them say something about how that spot would be theirs, so I'm going to contact PM company today and remind them that spot 3 is in my lease, and the upstairs unit gets spot 4.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 am

Yep, I'd metal bumpers as well. I wonder if you could find take-off JK metal bumpers from a bro that upgraded to aftermarket for cheap?
I thought that too, and that's probably the ideal way to go if I can find some Rubicon/Hardrock take off bumpers. Saw a few on the forums last night doing a quick search, but they were all east coast. I'll try to find a Cali/Arizona bro with them.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Dat camry bump :(. I suppose might as well go get the bumper you want. But i'd likely stick to OEM vs BRO.