Used 4x4 market rant

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Cliffs:
People are :disgust: and getting a cheap used 4x4 right now is :fullretard:

Rant:
I am aware that I want to have the cake and eat it too, but I stubbornly decided to check out used 4x4s that I can use to keep some miles off the M3 (it is already getting 15k+ a year closer to 20 atm) and to take on road trips. My requirements were/are as following
<10k
<150k miles
~no tears in the seats
~trailer hitch preferably but not mandatory
~decent reliability, and accessible parts.
~no peeling paint
~no rust
~15 city ~ 20 highway or so.
~easy enough to resell for close to what I bought it for since my mind changes a fair amount
Seems like a crazy :unicorn: list but if you peel it down to the basics it is simply a non abused taken care of vehicle that doesn't have piles of trash inside. You'd think at a 10k budget it would be achievable...

Here is what I found...
3rd gen 4 Runners are still :fullretard: prices are all over the board but seemingly decent ones are close to 10k :disgust:
Land Cruisers are either too old/too expensive or have too many miles
GX470s are just not something I can drive... too :disgust: 'ing looking
WJs (03+) is still where it is at... I can find decent examples for 5-8k that meet every one of my criteria... but ... I already had one... can't :plac: like that.
Wranglers- well... I am not a huge fan of the TJ after driving one and they are ~10+ for a decent example.
Range Rover Sports ~ :fullretard: really since they went through 3 different owners in 1 generation, and have different engines/subpar reliability, expensive parts+suspensions+trickery. But they cost as much as wranglers... :fullretard:

Current favorite
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/d/ ... 62543.html
I really like this land cruiser... but at 14k it is getting a bit on the pricy side and it would need some wheels tires...
is there something else I am missing in terms of vehicles?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 55408.html
This is a great one as well... but dat 203k miles doe...
Last edited by max225 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Just buy the Land Cruiser for $12,500 and end the thread.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:35 pm Just buy the Land Cruiser for $12,500 and end the thread.
:( ok then
max225

max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:58 pm Man, cars from Cali are so clean. :(
I posted pre filtered ones... I'll post up some of the :disgust: shit that I saw in a bit.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:15 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:05 pm

I posted pre filtered ones... I'll post up some of the :disgust: shit that I saw in a bit.
Still, they're largely rust free.

Man, I should show you some of the shit from around here. :yikes:
Correct, rust is an easy one. I refuse to look at anything out of state being sold here. It is immediately apparent, especially on jeeps/toyotas. :disgust:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:58 pm Man, cars from Cali are so clean. :(
For a car guy its really one of the perks of living here. Offset by previously discussed cost of living issues.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:33 pm Cliffs:

Rant:
I am aware that I want to have the cake and eat it too, but I stubbornly decided to check out used 4x4s that I can use to keep some miles off the M3 (it is already getting 15k+ a year closer to 20 atm) and to take on road trips. My requirements were/are as following
<10k
<150k miles
~no tears in the seats
~no peeling paint
~no rust
~easy enough to resell for close to what I bought it for since my mind changes a fair amount
Seems like a crazy :unicorn: list but if you peel it down to the basics it is simply a non abused taken care of vehicle that doesn't have piles of trash inside. You'd think at a 10k budget it would be achievable...

Here is what I found...
3rd gen 4 Runners are still :fullretard: prices are all over the board but seemingly decent ones are close to 10k :disgust:
WJs (03+) is still where it is at... I can find decent examples for 5-8k that meet every one of my criteria... but ... I already had one... can't :plac: like that.
Wranglers- well... I am not a huge fan of the TJ after driving one and they are ~10+ for a decent example.
Range Rover Sports ~ :fullretard: really since they went through 3 different owners in 1 generation, and have different engines/subpar reliability, expensive parts+suspensions+trickery. But they cost as much as wranglers... :fullretard:

Current favorite
I really like this land cruiser... but at 14k it is getting a bit on the pricy side and it would need some wheels tires...
Is that a fucking CASSETTE player in the 2006? :wtf:
Last edited by wap on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:42 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:33 pm Cliffs:

Rant:
<10k
<150k miles
~no tears in the seats
~no peeling paint
~no rust

Here is what I found...

Current favorite
Is that a fucking CASSETTE player in the 2006? :wtf:
Cassette player but OEM backup cam. Such technology dichotomy.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:17 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:15 pm

Still, they're largely rust free.

Man, I should show you some of the shit from around here. :yikes:
Correct, rust is an easy one. I refuse to look at anything out of state being sold here. It is immediately apparent, especially on jeeps/toyotas. :disgust:
Anything on the west coast can be good. Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, etc. As long as salt isn't used on the roads, rust will be minimal.

You just need to wait out for gas prices to go :fullretard: these things will drop in price in quick order then.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Anything on the west coast can be good. Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, etc. As long as salt isn't used on the roads, rust will be minimal.

You just need to wait out for gas prices to go :fullretard: these things will drop in price in quick order then.
We're already at $4 a gallon, how much more :fullretard: can it go... If you actually wanted to drive the vehicle it'll start to hurt when you get something that gets that shitty of mpg. Hell the equation now between a crosstranny and a land cruiser is already tough... as the fuel costs offset the monthly payment.
Crosstranny has the same performance, and ground clearance, and has double the MPG, yes it won't go "crawling" but :whocares: it'll do almost anything you throw at it.
max225

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 am

We're already at $4 a gallon, how much more :fullretard: can it go... If you actually wanted to drive the vehicle it'll start to hurt when you get something that gets that shitty of mpg. Hell the equation now between a crosstranny and a land cruiser is already tough... as the fuel costs offset the monthly payment.
Crosstranny has the same performance, and ground clearance, and has double the MPG, yes it won't go "crawling" but :whocares: it'll do almost anything you throw at it.
Seems like gas needs to hit $5 before people start :triggered: and offing vehicles. Might be higher now because inflation is going :fullretard:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:15 pm
a 60k subie is :notbad: and $13k
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva ... 64852.html
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:26 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:15 pm
a 60k subie is :notbad: and $13k
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva ... 64852.html
I'd rather get a new one at 21k. They are dirt cheap. And I won't have to worry about headgaskets, since the 2014 one will need em in 2 years vs 6 years for a new one.

The stigma is of course "I choose suicide over this vehicle" Which of course is annoying.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:24 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Seems like gas needs to hit $5 before people start :triggered: and offing vehicles. Might be higher now because inflation is going :fullretard:
Yea... I mean people are not that dumb... $50 or $60 a tank doesn't make a difference when your kids tuition is 40k a year.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:24 pm
Yea... I mean people are not that dumb... $50 or $60 a tank doesn't make a difference when your kids tuition is 40k a year.
Loans baby - that tuition is the kid's fukn problem. If you are saving for your kid's college you can forget retiring at all...unless you are in the 1%. The money you waste on that is what you will need later. Do not pay shite for a college education. Let the kid sort it out at the Junior College and then the State school unless full ride somewhere and even then those costs are still bad.

College in the traditional sense is now fast becoming a dream for the mid to lower classes. Its fukd. Another good reason to never reproduce lol! :)
max225

Davestr wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Loans baby - that tuition is the kid's fukn problem. If you are saving for your kid's college you can forget retiring at all...unless you are in the 1%. The money you waste on that is what you will need later. Do not pay shite for a college education. Let the kid sort it out at the Junior College and then the State school unless full ride somewhere and even then those costs are still bad.

College in the traditional sense is now fast becoming a dream for the mid to lower classes. Its fukd. Another good reason to never reproduce lol! :)
Ain't nobody giving the kid a 200k loan without the parents co-signing. :iono: And yep, the chinese overlords are coming. They flooded our schools here in cali and truly all over the country... Foreign enrollment is 40-50% vs <5% about 7-8 years ago...

and they are paying 70-80k a year out of state tuition to sponsor those Tenured "professors" making 300k a year working 8 hrs a week.

Oh and those giant shiny buildings... because obviously that's what kids need, billion dollar libraries and assembly halls.
max225

geo politics aside... check out some of the shit that I found...
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 86667.html
Like who would be ok to sit on this...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 71086.html
My fav... 470k miles... wants 7k

Now this is suicide worthy. Fucking turned over porta potty black rear carpets... crotchfruit :disgust:

This is my 2nd fave...
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/ ... 66664.html
"honk if parts fall off" :disgust:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Just stack your cash and wait for gas prices to rise. That's my plan.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:10 pm Just stack your cash and wait for gas prices to rise. That's my plan.
Either that or off the M3 and get into a wrangler :plac:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:57 pm geo politics aside... check out some of the shit that I found...

Now this is suicide worthy. Fucking turned over porta potty black rear carpets... crotchfruit :disgust:

This is my 2nd fave...
both of those are a total loss.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:13 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:57 pm geo politics aside... check out some of the shit that I found...

This is my 2nd fave...
#1 was a sweet rig at some point. She gone, doe.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:14 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:13 pm

#1 was a sweet rig at some point. She gone, doe.
That black carpet holy shit
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I had a 4WD Rav4 for a few days. It didn’t suck. Review to come but man really these little dick CUVs are rather good.