Waxer's Haus of Wax

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:17 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:12 pm

We all have our preferences/biases. What is acceptable to some is not for others, just take things with a grain of salt... we all do to some extent.

One could also go and test drive these things for themselves...
I fully believe that you have to be in a certain state of mind to love the Jeeps.... but the JL bridges the gap between hardcore Jeepers and regular people much better than the older versions.
Current annualized selling pace of 400k units would certainly agree with you.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:42 pm Or is my definition of Noise Vibration and Harshness different from everyone else's.

Quite possible..
The Jeep is better.

Honestly, after driving the Jeep for 3 days straight I was a bit depressed getting back in the ZR2. The vibrations are higher in the ZR2 and the transmission could use some better tuning to compare to the JL as it just feels a bit harsh.

I'm okay with it though, in reality they serve similar but different purposes and going to the store and buying the Blackstone Griddle was much easier in the ZR2 vs trying to put it into the Jeep w/o scratching up the interior and dealing with putting a 180 pound box on the seats that are not 100% flat when folded.
Tell me about this Blackstone Griddle.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:25 pm Tell me about this Blackstone Griddle.
I fell into a rabbit hole of YouTube he'll a few weeks back about this thing. 36 in flat griddle that is propane powered. It's pretty amazing to have on hand. I've got it started getting seasoned, think cast iron skillet. So far I've cooked basics on it as I get used to it. Quesadillas, hamburgers, grilled cheese, etc.

Checkout YouTube if you're interested. Will be epic for big breakfasts and fried rice, and...and...and... easily do Beni Hanna at home.

Also, with a truck or suv you can pretty easily take it camping.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:17 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:25 pm Tell me about this Blackstone Griddle.
I fell into a rabbit hole of YouTube he'll a few weeks back about this thing. 36 in flat griddle that is propane powered. It's pretty amazing to have on hand. I've got it started getting seasoned, think cast iron skillet. So far I've cooked basics on it as I get used to it. Quesadillas, hamburgers, grilled cheese, etc.

Checkout YouTube if you're interested. Will be epic for big breakfasts and fried rice, and...and...and... easily do Beni Hanna at home.

Also, with a truck or suv you can pretty easily take it camping.
Will investigate. Tx!
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Outside griddle eh?

Hmmmmm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Changed the oil in the ZR2 last night.

2712 miles, took a sample for oil analysis by Blackstone Labs.

Okay, whoever at Chevy decided to use the Audi/VW plastic housing with a cartridge filter and place it where they did needs to lose their job. There are AC lines and at least on my truck 3 wiring harnesses in the way to make a clean exit with the filter and the cover. Add to this that the ZR2 is just tall enough that I need a step ladder to visually locate the filter.

What the fuck is wrong with the traditional chevy screw on metal filters on the bottom of the engine near the oil pan? There's plenty of clearance room from what I saw under it last night. Also, luckily I watched a video beforehand, and have also had learned this lesson before.... but putting the drain bolt in parallel to the ground so when you remove it you shoot oil at the passenger wheel like :jizz: ain't nice.

Anyway, it's done and the Jeep will get an oil change this weekend as well.

I think I'm going to send samples from both of these out to Blackstone for at least the first 20k miles and see how the reports come back.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

They've been doing that for years. My 2007 Saturn has the same setup. Never really had a problem with it....
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

rockchops wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:50 pm They've been doing that for years. My 2007 Saturn has the same setup. Never really had a problem with it....
All my other Chevy's have had the traditional filters that give unobstructed access when changing the oil. This is just idiotic. :iono:

At least the one that is on the JK and JL is up front and easy to access.

I might need to trade the ZR2 over this.

:hue:
:notsure:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Yea, the oil filter placement is completely :wtf: I really don't understand that decision at all.

I did chat with one of the engineers that worked on the engine in the 31xx, he said it was never supposed to go in a :truk: and they had to just "deal with" a number of the complications that presented.

I am rather :| :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:32 pm Changed the oil in the ZR2 last night.

Okay, whoever at Chevy decided to use the Audi/VW plastic housing with a cartridge filter and place it where they did needs to lose their job. There are AC lines and at least on my truck 3 wiring harnesses in the way to make a clean exit with the filter and the cover. Add to this that the ZR2 is just tall enough that I need a step ladder to visually locate the filter.

What the fuck is wrong with the traditional chevy screw on metal filters on the bottom of the engine near the oil pan? There's plenty of clearance room from what I saw under it last night. Also, luckily I watched a video beforehand, and have also had learned this lesson before.... but putting the drain bolt in parallel to the ground so when you remove it you shoot oil at the passenger wheel like :jizz: ain't nice.

I think I'm going to send samples from both of these out to Blackstone for at least the first 20k miles and see how the reports come back.
What’s the factory OCI on the Jeep ? 10k?
Did it after 10k on my dads with the same power train. It is a decent engine, no oil burned in that longish interval and super easy to access everything and parts are cheap
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:32 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:32 pm Changed the oil in the ZR2 last night.

What’s the factory OCI on the Jeep ? 10k?
Did it after 10k on my dads with the same power train. It is a decent engine, no oil burned in that longish interval and super easy to access everything and parts are cheap
Roughly 10K, depending on how you drive and if you use the oil life system. On the JK we were always about 6k when the oil life monitor would read 10% or so left, but that was a lot of city driving with the wife at the wheel racing at every stop light.
max225

Any updates with the Jeep ? First service done yet ?
How are the tires wearing ?
Is it DD worthy ?
How’s the leather wearing ?
Wind noise or any other issues ?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:22 am Any updates with the Jeep ? First service done yet ?
Is it DD worthy ?
So far, so good. No noticable wind noise to report at up to 90 mph.

Great DD in my opinion, I will drive it more than the ZR2 most likely....

Interior is superior.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am
max225 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:22 am Any updates with the Jeep ? First service done yet ?
Is it DD worthy ?

Interior is superior.
Good to hear :)
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CorvetteWaxer wrote:Got the first excitedly positive comment from the wife on the JL a couple days ago....

"In the old Jeep, every morning on my way to work my purse would get thrown over and spill the contents all over the floor. On the new one, this thing stays flat in corners and I haven't had my purse fall over all week!"

That's a pretty easy requirement, but since she's so happy about it and wasn't 100% about trading away the JKU.... I'll take it. She's had many other comments and likes it, but on this one she was really happy.
:tits: :fuckyeah:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Is it DD worthy ?

Interior is superior.
:like:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The Tahoe cause me to buy a long rectangular pan. One end gets the first money shot of oil, the other end picks up the drips. YTHO.
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Is it DD worthy ?

Interior is superior.
No plaid cloth seats. No care.

Wait this isnt the dead zone.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:44 pm

The Tahoe cause me to buy a long rectangular pan. One end gets the first money shot of oil, the other end picks up the drips. YTHO.
Yeah, that's what I'm using too.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Oh, got the Blackstone Labs report back the other day.. Everything is a bit high, as expected from a new, first oil change engine. Going to track this over the first few changes and see how it looks.... Here it is:

max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 am Oh, got the Blackstone Labs report back the other day.. Everything is a bit high, as expected from a new, first oil change engine. Going to track this over the first few changes and see how it looks.... Here it is:

Hey dumb question, how do you mail that stuff nowadays ? Just stick postage on it (if so how much )? Or do you have to bring the black can into the post office ?

I’m going to do an oil change on the crown Vic when it hits 400k and post it up here. :lol: only 2500 to go
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:46 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 am Oh, got the Blackstone Labs report back the other day.. Everything is a bit high, as expected from a new, first oil change engine. Going to track this over the first few changes and see how it looks.... Here it is:

Hey dumb question, how do you mail that stuff nowadays ? Just stick postage on it (if so how much )? Or do you have to bring the black can into the post office ?

I’m going to do an oil change on the crown Vic when it hits 400k and post it up here. :lol: only 2500 to go
Postage is prepaid as part of the service cost. Just drop it in a mail box and your good.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:41 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:46 am

Postage is prepaid as part of the service cost. Just drop it in a mail box and your good.
Oh awesome! Thanks for the heads up. How long did it take those guys to get back to you?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:44 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Oh awesome! Thanks for the heads up. How long did it take those guys to get back to you?
Just about a week..
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:00 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Just about a week..
Did you send the :jeep: oil in as well?