Time Management Advice

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

So, it’s been about 6 months since I moved out of my house and relocated to the DC Metro area with my girlfriend.

Aside from the usual getting used to living on my own, and getting used to living with another person, who also happens to be my long term girlfriend (this is a learn every day situation), I have some other challenges that I’ve noticed.

I feel overwhelmed, pretty much. Not with life or what’s going on in it, but rather, just with proper time management in regard to daily routines. I work a 37.5 hour work week, but in Corporate Security it becomes close to 40-45 every week.

That aside, I always feel like I have so many things I could do, but so little time to do these things. I end up thinking about what thing I want to do first, and end up wasting more time in the process.

Have any of you been through this before? Last weekend was a pretty sweet departure from that because my girlfriend and I (after a decent fight) decided to visit the Udvar Hazy Air & Space museum, and on Sunday I went to Clifton to drive and chill with TK.

What I really want to know is how can I somehow slow down time and enjoy the moment? Some times I feel like my mind races in every which way.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

razr390 wrote:So, it’s been about 6 months since I moved out of my house and relocated to the DC Metro area with my girlfriend.

Aside from the usual getting used to living on my own, and getting used to living with another person, who also happens to be my long term girlfriend (this is a learn every day situation), I have some other challenges that I’ve noticed.

I feel overwhelmed, pretty much. Not with life or what’s going on in it, but rather, just with proper time management in regard to daily routines. I work a 37.5 hour work week, but in Corporate Security it becomes close to 40-45 every week.

That aside, I always feel like I have so many things I could do, but so little time to do these things. I end up thinking about what thing I want to do first, and end up wasting more time in the process.

Have any of you been through this before? Last weekend was a pretty sweet departure from that because my girlfriend and I (after a decent fight) decided to visit the Udvar Hazy Air & Space museum, and on Sunday I went to Clifton to drive and chill with TK.

What I really want to know is how can I somehow slow down time and enjoy the moment? Some times I feel like my mind races in every which way.
Make a list of all the outside work chores/tasks you have and prioritize. Some will be things that you could pick away at; 15 minutes a day rather than the whole thing all at once taking hours. You’ll still feel like you accomplished something without it taking all your free time in one day.

Also accept that it will never end :lolol:

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
razr390

Calvinball wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:12 am
razr390 wrote:So, it’s been about 6 months since I moved out of my house and relocated to the DC Metro area with my girlfriend.

Make a list of all the outside work chores/tasks you have and prioritize. Some will be things that you could pick away at; 15 minutes a day rather than the whole thing all at once taking hours. You’ll still feel like you accomplished something without it taking all your free time in one day.

Sounds like a solid plan. I will start doing that. I just get super freaked out because I wonder to myself how it would be if I actually had kids and their timetables intersecting with mine. Would be :nuke:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

razr390 wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:12 am

Sounds like a solid plan. I will start doing that. I just get super freaked out because I wonder to myself how it would be if I actually had kids and their timetables intersecting with mine. Would be :nuke:
Well, that’s when you accept that most of the time, you will not have time to yourself haha.

:therapist:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Calvinball wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:24 am
razr390 wrote:
Well, that’s when you accept that most of the time, you will not have time to yourself haha.

:dat:

When the kid is sleeping, then you have time to yourself.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 am Are you sharing the choreload?

I get overwhelmed when I start to feel like I'm doing everything around the house. Which I kinda do.
She burned her foot and is slowly recuperating. I have been doing most stuff lately, and in general, which is something that has been addressed and will hopefully improve.

I think I will just do little by little, in terms of what I want to do versus what I need to do. If I want to read a book, I’ll start and limit myself for 30-60 minutes a day, so I don’t get too invested and forget to do everything else. Same with gym, video games, etc.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

I think I just need to get my mind de-stressed. That definitely doesn’t help either, since I tend to have YUGE expectations of myself for no reason.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:59 am So, it’s been about 6 months since I moved out of my house and relocated to the DC Metro area with my girlfriend.

Welcome to adult life and being a slave to the corporate world. Reality is, you can't do anything about your work hours so that's set. You have a few hours a day to accomplish things. Some of which is taken by food prep and eating, some of which is taken by chores. Set aside a day or two after work that you have time to do things you actually want to do, and then plan ahead for those.

I want to ride my bike every day. I can't. But GF and I have worked out that I at least get to ride on Tuesday nights, she takes care of the dog (accepts the chore load) and I get to do my thing with the boys. On the weekends I'm usually limited to day excursions because I'm blocked by dog feeding and poop schedules. But it is what it is. If there's something we want to do we talk about it and make arrangements in advance to make it happen.

Also realize you simply can't do everything. You can't have 20 hobbies and expect to actually get good at any of them. :iono:
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:53 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 am Are you sharing the choreload?

I get overwhelmed when I start to feel like I'm doing everything around the house. Which I kinda do.
She burned her foot and is slowly recuperating. I have been doing most stuff lately, and in general, which is something that has been addressed and will hopefully improve.

I think I will just do little by little, in terms of what I want to do versus what I need to do. If I want to read a book, I’ll start and limit myself for 30-60 minutes a day, so I don’t get too invested and forget to do everything else. Same with gym, video games, etc.
She should be able to refill soap dispensers with a a busted foot :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:08 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:58 am I think I just need to get my mind de-stressed. That definitely doesn’t help either, since I tend to have YUGE expectations of myself for no reason.

1) see what is actually on your list
2) see what is needed now (washing dishes for example), what is needed sometime in the future, what you want to do for yourself, what you need to do for yourself, etc.
3) cut cut cut I can tell you take more on than you need to AND more than is useful.

It's better to do a little bit well than a lot of shit poorly.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

:tits: and I also have open dialogue in advance about what needs to be done. Like on Sunday night over dinner, we plot out the week after work.

Monday: :tits: works from home and gets the laundry done. When I get home, I do the dishes after dinner and clean the kitchen. Then we work a bit outside on the yard
Tuesday: Our personal days. :tits: is in a ceramics class, I'm going to tinker on the cars. Will also make sure the dishes are clean, and we put away laundry from Monday together when she gets home
Wednesday: Costco and grocery store. When we get home, need to organize camping gear for upcoming trip

etc, etc, etc.

We've found that to be very effective. It ensures that we're both contributing equally AND both doing what we want.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:05 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:53 am

Or change the toilet paper roll...
razr390

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:08 am

1) see what is actually on your list
2) see what is needed now (washing dishes for example), what is needed sometime in the future, what you want to do for yourself, what you need to do for yourself, etc.
3) cut cut cut I can tell you take more on than you need to AND more than is useful.

It's better to do a little bit well than a lot of shit poorly.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

:tits: and I also have open dialogue in advance about what needs to be done. Like on Sunday night over dinner, we plot out the week after work.

Monday: :tits: works from home and gets the laundry done. When I get home, I do the dishes after dinner and clean the kitchen. Then we work a bit outside on the yard
Tuesday: Our personal days. :tits: is in a ceramics class, I'm going to tinker on the cars. Will also make sure the dishes are clean, and we put away laundry from Monday together when she gets home
Wednesday: Costco and grocery store. When we get home, need to organize camping gear for upcoming trip

etc, etc, etc.

We've found that to be very effective. It ensures that we're both contributing equally AND both doing what we want.
That sounds like a great plan.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:15 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:05 am

Or wash her lunch dishes / tupperware :disappoint:
razr390

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:19 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:15 am

I hate washing Tupperware. :gag:
Johnny_P

Also, :rudy: , we found that listing chores and splitting them up was helpful. I now do all food shopping. GF does most cooking but I take a day or two a week. I do most dishes and general cleanup. She cleans the bathroom. She takes care of the dog in the AM, I take care of dog in the PM, etc. Clearer responsibilities have de-stressed the relationship and as made it easier to plan things.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:20 am

GF usually brings peanut butter and crackers or carrots or celery or whatever as a snack. Cleaning peanut butter from tupperware makes me literally :gag: The smell is horrific.
ChrisoftheNorth

But I hate doing laundry more, so we traded that off. I do dishes, she does laundry. It works out.

Communication and compromise is key here folks. And I'm on the douche end of it where I can come across as taking her for granted. I told her to call me out when that happens and to put me to work. Sadly, it does happen from time to time, but instead of getting made, she calls me a dick and tells me to get to work on some chore.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Calvinball wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:24 am
razr390 wrote:

Time you spend on the toilet triples with the first child
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:23 am

But I hate doing laundry more, so we traded that off. I do dishes, she does laundry. It works out.

Communication and compromise is key here folks. And I'm on the douche end of it where I can come across as taking her for granted. I told her to call me out when that happens and to put me to work. Sadly, it does happen from time to time, but instead of getting made, she calls me a dick and tells me to get to work on some chore.
Same here I put on my headphones, put on a podcast or YouTube video and do the dishes every night

I also cook dinner for everyone every night. I read to my son for 20 minutes each night and put him down, which is a 45 to 60 minute process. Saturday or Sunday in sneak away during naps to grocery shop.

Wife is laundry and actual house deep cleaning, vacuum, mop...erc
razr390

I think I just have too much I want to do and not enough time to do it so I don’t do anything which is not good. I’d like to self teach myself some code/programming language, maybe Python.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:41 am I think I just have too much I want to do and not enough time to do it so I don’t do anything which is not good. I’d like to self teach myself some code/programming language, maybe Python.
I say this very kindly but you're like a squirrel. Everything that interests you gets your attention. For professional development stuff you need to have a strategy and stick to it. I'm not saying coding doesn't fit that, I'm saying you just need that plan.

You can't, and shouldn't, do everything you want to do. And I mean that generally in life.
:dat: :dat: :dat: :dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

BUT WHAT SHOULD HE DO?!?
ChrisoftheNorth

:triggered:
ChrisoftheNorth

:trollface:
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:41 am I think I just have too much I want to do and not enough time to do it so I don’t do anything which is not good. I’d like to self teach myself some code/programming language, maybe Python.
I say this very kindly but you're like a squirrel. Everything that interests you gets your attention. For professional development stuff you need to have a strategy and stick to it. I'm not saying coding doesn't fit that, I'm saying you just need that plan.

You can't, and shouldn't, do everything you want to do. And I mean that generally in life.
Agreed. This is the same advice I give others when they ask me. It is a paradox that people who give the best advice almost never take it themselves?

:science: