Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:47 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:43 am

:dat: Reading on forums that 58cm road bikes fit-ish in the back of a 2 door with the seat all the way forward, rear seat out, and both wheels off. diagonally upside down. Meaning no :doge: coming along. Just an either-or. IDK how often I'd have everything in the car at the same time.
Honestly I get the whole “I don’t want my bike to get crushed” thing ... but a hitch carrier makes the most sense either way. Especially on a 2 door. Just take it off when you don’t need it and put it back when you do. It can’t possibly take more than 30 seconds to do so.

Otherwise we’re entering a :unicorn: :mahtroy: car discussion of 9000rpm redline sub $10k, auto x winning class, cheap to insure with cheap tires and dual zone ac with heated seats and lsd.

Can’t have it all. Unless you get the homer
We've gone over this. It is a unicorn situation. I'm 90% sure my mountain bike and cross bike won't fit down my street perpendicular to the road. The bikes are too long, I'd end up hitting a car or hitting a tree or something with the bike wheels. Bike has to be on top of the car or inside the car. It would be hard enough getting a JL down the street as is for loading.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:52 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:41 am

True but I don't do that type of driving. And could always carry a jerry can if I needed to extend the fuel range.
Turo isn't a bad call for trying a 2 door with load combos.
If you bought a Jeep you would do that type of driving. It is a requirement for ownership.

Drove the JL yesterday and over the last 300 in-city miles my wife is getting 9 MPG. She drives it like she stole it, apparently.

She's already committed turning off the engine start stop as muscle memory and told me the Jeep is faster off the line with the traction control turned off.

I don't know if I should be proud or scared.
:stig: !!

Yeah I'd probably go explore the pine barrens at least. Maybe take road trips to central PA for some wheeling or adventures. Better highway manners would be ideal for that.
Johnny_P

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:56 am
max225 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:47 am
Honestly I get the whole “I don’t want my bike to get crushed” thing ... but a hitch carrier makes the most sense either way. Especially on a 2 door. Just take it off when you don’t need it and put it back when you do. It can’t possibly take more than 30 seconds to do so.

Otherwise we’re entering a :unicorn: :mahtroy: car discussion of 9000rpm redline sub $10k, auto x winning class, cheap to insure with cheap tires and dual zone ac with heated seats and lsd.

Can’t have it all. Unless you get the homer
We've gone over this. It is a unicorn situation. I'm 90% sure my mountain bike and cross bike won't fit down my street perpendicular to the road. The bikes are too long, I'd end up hitting a car or hitting a tree or something with the bike wheels. Bike has to be on top of the car or inside the car. It would be hard enough getting a JL down the street as is for loading.
No way, unless I am missing something.
an average bike is 68” long ... you can’t possibly tell me that a 68” bike doesn’t fit in a street when you you have vehicles that are 70-80” wide, let alone things like busses and garbage trucks. It’s going to be exactly the width of the Jeep. Worse comes to worse you could take a wheel off ?
How do you transport it now ? On top of the sti ?
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:02 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:56 am

No way, unless I am missing something.
an average bike is 68” long ... you can’t possibly tell me that a 68” bike doesn’t fit in a street when you you have vehicles that are 70-80” wide, let alone things like busses and garbage trucks. It’s going to be exactly the width of the Jeep. Worse comes to worse you could take a wheel off ?
How do you transport it now ? On top of the sti ?
Inside the car. Just bought cross bars for it though so it'll live on the roof from now on.

Road bike should be about 68", mountain bike is longer. I doubt any rack is going to perfectly center the bike, one side will hang out further than the other. Widest thing I've seen come down the street is a Toyota Tacoma. Full size trucks don't fit. Our trash truck is a special tiny one and hits my neighbor's tree every week.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:59 am My street: https://goo.gl/maps/acTG4aZqXYs
:mindblown:
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:59 am My street: https://goo.gl/maps/acTG4aZqXYs
Dented one of the 20' uhaul trucks when I moved in by rubbing against a tree, and I had Lisa as a spotter for that one.
Every single car on the street has gash marks down the sides from cars rubbing or hitting side mirrors.
I don't park on the street and drive slow AF in my STI down it if I do go down it for whatever reason.
Desertbreh

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:52 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:41 am

True but I don't do that type of driving. And could always carry a jerry can if I needed to extend the fuel range.
Turo isn't a bad call for trying a 2 door with load combos.
If you bought a Jeep you would do that type of driving. It is a requirement for ownership.

Drove the JL yesterday and over the last 300 in-city miles my wife is getting 9 MPG. She drives it like she stole it, apparently.

She's already committed turning off the engine start stop as muscle memory and told me the Jeep is faster off the line with the traction control turned off.

I don't know if I should be proud or scared.
Either way your pulpit is nonexistent.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:12 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:10 pm

Dented one of the 20' uhaul trucks when I moved in by rubbing against a tree, and I had Lisa as a spotter for that one.
Every single car on the street has gash marks down the sides from cars rubbing or hitting side mirrors.
I don't park on the street and drive slow AF in my STI down it if I do go down it for whatever reason.
That street shouldn't allow parking on it. :triggered:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

You guys can talk 2 dr. vs. 4 door all day long but the 4 door looks so much better to me that I wouldn't consider a 2 door if I lived alone with no pets in a cabin in Northeast Idaho.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Dat wonder wagon
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:28 pm You guys can talk 2 dr. vs. 4 door all day long but the 4 door looks so much better to me that I wouldn't consider a 2 door if I lived alone with no pets in a cabin in Northeast Idaho.
2 door to me just looks more like a Jeep, where the 4 door loses that classic look a bit.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:31 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:28 pm You guys can talk 2 dr. vs. 4 door all day long but the 4 door looks so much better to me that I wouldn't consider a 2 door if I lived alone with no pets in a cabin in Northeast Idaho.
2 door to me just looks more like a Jeep, where the 4 door loses that classic look a bit.
That i can confirm, its pretty much like the new mini cooper. But I can see why jeep pulled the plunge on the 4 door. Id bet the 2 door would be more easier to drive compared to the 4 door jku i had driven in the past
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:28 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:12 pm

That street shouldn't allow parking on it. :triggered:
No shit. There are narrower streets in Philly though.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:39 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:11 am Image

:megusta: :megusta: :megusta:
:dat: the monster energy green is very :megusta:
max225

I dig the green too, but it is a bit of "wild" color.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:50 pm I dig the green too, but it is a bit of "wild" color.
The only way I'm driving that green is on a Lambo.
SAWCE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:52 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:50 pm I dig the green too, but it is a bit of "wild" color.
I like seeing it, but I'd get sick of driving it and being seen in it.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I'm the only one here that likes owning bright colored vehicles huh?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:56 pm I'm the only one here that likes owning bright colored vehicles huh?
Bright blurple =/= monsterBROgreen

I saw a JKU in the purple they did the other day in my neighborhood and I'd drive the shit out of that. That green is too much for me though.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:56 pm I'm the only one here that likes owning bright colored vehicles huh?
Bright I am okay with, but neon is a supercar color.

When I got the JL the dealer had 5 of those fucking purple JKs on the lot. He said they can't give them away and one was over a year old. He said most dealers buy a couple and have them for life and vote to never order those colors again unless it is a sold order.
Last edited by CorvetteWaxer on Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh

But then you're a Cuban drug lord.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:12 pm

But then you're a Cuban drug lord.
Say hello to my little friend...
max225

That makes a bit more sense. I feel like while I like "bold" colors sometimes it is a bit much when you're stuck with looking at Hulk jizz green every morning
SAWCE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:11 pm
Bright I am okay with, but neon is a supercar color.

When I got the JL the dealer had 5 of those fucking purple JKs on the lot. He said they can't give them away and one was over a year old. He said most dealers buy a couple and have them for life and vote to never order those colors again unless it is a sold order.
Damn. I actually wanted one of those purple ones. I should have expanded my search more and tried to score an even better :dill: on one of those than what I got.