Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:16 am Image

:jimp:
Imagine a real color ! I wouldn’t rubicunt if I were you. A regular sport is totally fine.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:22 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:19 am

The 2 door looks too squatty to me. Plus, owning the Unlimited, I have no idea how I could deal with even less space for stuff if you went on a trip. Jeeps are turrible for storage inside.
I have to see more pics of them or see one in person. I liked the 2 door JK, but I think I'm with you that the 4 door JL is better looking than the 2. Proportions seem better.

4 door would be way more practical overall for me, no question about it. I think with rear seat removed for :doge: and :bike: hauling I could get by with the 2 door.
Me + the wife, back seats down, packed for 2-3 days camping + :doge: is a fully loaded up 4 door. The 2 door would have me leaving stuff at home. I'm not a big fan of the roof racks since the only good ones are the ones that mount to the body and look like a Jurassic Park cage. The ones that mount to the roof are going to ruin your top since they are fiberglass and not rated for weight loading.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: X5, Bison

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:21 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:19 am
:megusta:

I can't imagine a better dual purpose city/adventure vehicle.
Well, admittedly something like an Xterra or 4Runner would be a better on-road vehicle. Not as cool overall though.
Y Tho? People are saying the JL rides fantastic on the road.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:24 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:16 am Image

:jimp:
Imagine a real color ! I wouldn’t rubicunt if I were you. A regular sport is totally fine.
IDK if you lose anything with the Rubi though. Most desirable model, used prices stay high on them. :iono: plus they look cooler.

I wouldn't want to spend $50k on a 2 door igloo cooler though.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:27 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:21 am

Well, admittedly something like an Xterra or 4Runner would be a better on-road vehicle. Not as cool overall though.
Y Tho? People are saying the JL rides fantastic on the road.
:dat: is why I'd need to try it out
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:19 am

The 2 door looks too squatty to me. Plus, owning the Unlimited, I have no idea how I could deal with even less space for stuff if you went on a trip. Jeeps are turrible for storage inside.
I have to see more pics of them or see one in person. I liked the 2 door JK, but I think I'm with you that the 4 door JL is better looking than the 2. Proportions seem better.

4 door would be way more practical overall for me, no question about it. I think with rear seat removed for :doge: and :bike: hauling I could get by with the 2 door.
Looks are a personal thing ...
However there are real drawbacks and advantages to the 2 door.
It has a far narrower turning circle and fits into any parking spot
You don’t need more space unless you have crotchfruit or friends that tag along
It is a bit cheaper
It is a bit more nimble
On the flip side
It may come with a much smaller gas tank jk had 18.5 in the 2 door vs 22 in the 4. I know the jl has 21.5 but not sure about the 2 door
For a city vehicle with no kids, can’t beat it. It is truly the only city vehicle that actually has some kind of character and still works as a city vehicle
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:26 am

Me + the wife, back seats down, packed for 2-3 days camping + :doge: is a fully loaded up 4 door. The 2 door would have me leaving stuff at home. I'm not a big fan of the roof racks since the only good ones are the ones that mount to the body and look like a Jurassic Park cage. The ones that mount to the roof are going to ruin your top since they are fiberglass and not rated for weight loading.
Good point. It's an either-or with the bike and dog in the back of a 2 door. Hm.
ChrisoftheNorth

My JK filled up fast with camping stuff for sure. But that's not JP's use.

I prefer taking the ZR2 for camping.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:28 am
max225 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:24 am

IDK if you lose anything with the Rubi though. Most desirable model, used prices stay high on them. :iono: plus they look cooler.

You’ll spend an extra 15k (50%more) and you’ll get most of it back. But considering your use i just don’t see the point at all.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:30 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:28 am

You’ll spend an extra 15k (50%more) and you’ll get most of it back. But considering your use i just don’t see the point at all.
:dat:

It's not like sports depreciate.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:29 am

Good point. It's an either-or with the bike and dog in the back of a 2 door. Hm.
I think if you take the seat out both will fit it isn’t that small.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:28 am

It is a bit cheaper
It is a bit more nimble
On the flip side
It may come with a much smaller gas tank jk had 18.5 in the 2 door vs 22 in the 4. I know the jl has 21.5 but not sure about the 2 door
For a city vehicle with no kids, can’t beat it. It is truly the only city vehicle that actually has some kind of character and still works as a city vehicle
:whocares: re gas tank size. My car gets 16 MPG and has to fill up every 250 miles. NBD.

The problem is the cargo capacity or lack thereof. Even the 4 door, without a bike rack on it somehow, would be a squeeze with GF and dog and bike. NGH in a 2 door without some external bike carrier which all blow on jeeps because of the rear tire.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:29 am

Mudcamping :fuckyeah:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:32 am
It is a bit cheaper
It is a bit more nimble
On the flip side
:whocares: re gas tank size. My car gets 16 MPG and has to fill up every 250 miles. NBD.

The problem is the cargo capacity or lack thereof. Even the 4 door, without a bike rack on it somehow, would be a squeeze with GF and dog and bike. NGH in a 2 door without some external bike carrier which all blow on jeeps because of the rear tire.
It matters when you go wheeling... and there are no gas stations for 50-70 miles. Yea of course doesn’t matter in the city. It’s not make or break, just pointing it out for you.
4 door is the same size as your wrx but it feels huge to drive and park thanks to the ride height

Either way we discussed the bike thing, I’d probably Turo one for a day or take a bike to CarMax and stick it into a used jk selling at 105% msrp
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:29 am

Mudcamping :fuckyeah:
Camping gear gets dirty, breh.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

This was my experience the one time I took the Jeep camping.

Agree that the JK looks better in 2 door than 4, but the utility of the 4 door is 5/7.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:34 am

It matters when you go wheeling... and there are no gas stations for 50-70 miles. Yea of course doesn’t matter in the city. It’s not make or break, just pointing it out for you.
4 door is the same size as your wrx but it feels huge to drive and park thanks to the ride height

Either way we discussed the bike thing, I’d probably Turo one for a day or take a bike to CarMax and stick it into a used jk selling at 105% msrp
True but I don't do that type of driving. And could always carry a jerry can if I needed to extend the fuel range.
Turo isn't a bad call for trying a 2 door with load combos.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

It is a bit cheaper
It is a bit more nimble
On the flip side

How Many gallons is your gas tank. I make roughly 280 on average when light comes on, and average high 20’s with main road and traffic highway combined. My tank is 13 gallons
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:41 am

Agree that the JK looks better in 2 door than 4, but the utility of the 4 door is 5/7.
:dat: Reading on forums that 58cm road bikes fit-ish in the back of a 2 door with the seat all the way forward, rear seat out, and both wheels off. diagonally upside down. Meaning no :doge: coming along. Just an either-or. IDK how often I'd have everything in the car at the same time.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I rented an unlimited in Cancun, and couldn’t agree more, especially if youre carrying more than one passenger
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:41 am

True but I don't do that type of driving. And could always carry a jerry can if I needed to extend the fuel range.
Ideally it would be a JL but that won’t happen for a bit. It would be nice if they did over night test drives
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:44 am

Ideally it would be a JL but that won’t happen for a bit. It would be nice if they did over night test drives
Doubt the back seat and cargo area is much different. The chassis isn't dramatically different.

Bikes fit nicely inside 4 doors with the seatposts down.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/ ... jeep.9069/

Could easily take the GF, mountain bike, and doge on a camping trip in that.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:43 am

:dat: Reading on forums that 58cm road bikes fit-ish in the back of a 2 door with the seat all the way forward, rear seat out, and both wheels off. diagonally upside down. Meaning no :doge: coming along. Just an either-or. IDK how often I'd have everything in the car at the same time.
Honestly I get the whole “I don’t want my bike to get crushed” thing ... but a hitch carrier makes the most sense either way. Especially on a 2 door. Just take it off when you don’t need it and put it back when you do. It can’t possibly take more than 30 seconds to do so.

Otherwise we’re entering a :unicorn: :mahtroy: car discussion of 9000rpm redline sub $10k, auto x winning class, cheap to insure with cheap tires and dual zone ac with heated seats and lsd.

Can’t have it all. Unless you get the homer
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:43 am

I rented an unlimited in Cancun, and couldn’t agree more, especially if youre carrying more than one passenger
Yeah if you're doing anything with friends, you're gonna want an Unlimited. Took the :jeep: up to Big Bear for Oktoberfest a week after buying it, and brough a buddy and his girl along with Michelle. No way would two 200lb+ men, two average sized women, and a weekend bag for each fit in a 2-door.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

If you bought a Jeep you would do that type of driving. It is a requirement for ownership.

Drove the JL yesterday and over the last 300 in-city miles my wife is getting 9 MPG. She drives it like she stole it, apparently.

She's already committed turning off the engine start stop as muscle memory and told me the Jeep is faster off the line with the traction control turned off.

I don't know if I should be proud or scared.