Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:57 am
Makes sense.

They must be getting desperate to move the :waxer: units if they're considering a test drive fleet. They must be nearly through the backlog of reservation holders willing to :waxer:
Not exactly, you as a customer can't even go in and check out a model 3. There are NONE in the showroom/todemo because they are that short on supply.

They should be fine for the next 6-12 months with the backlog pending their actual production output. But obviously all the orders are very heavily front loaded.

However later on in the game they can start selling the cheaper models/4wd models and offer lease specials. At this point none of that is available and they are blasting through 3500 model 3s a week that cost 60-65k on average. Which is :impressive: AF

2 years down the line though... it will get interesting... once they saturate their demand... the crazy part is... i think at that point they'll be launching yet another product to get into another market... dat... Apple launch strategy :disgust:

Who knows, though... i am SHOCKED literally SHOCKED. No OEM produced a comparable vehicle outside of the Bolt which is ugly AF. They have had the time and resources to do so...
If they have hundreds of thousands of sold orders, people willing to buy the car sight unseen, why forego the profit of those sold orders to add demo units to the showroom? It makes absolutely no sense unless they're trying to drum up more orders. Weren't you the one saying you could waltz into a store, order a car (the :waxer: spec) and have it in a few months?

It takes 5 years minimum to develop a new platform. Model S has been out for how long now? Gas will be free forever. :waxer: highly profitable :truk: s will rule the road forever. Why invest in vehicles that you MIGHT be able to break-even selling, if you're lucky?

No OEM has invested in EV tech the way Tesla (and to an extent GM) has. I have a buddy that works at a major battery supplier, and he said that most of the industry has passed on investing in a seriously viable EV platform. And why would they invest?

Obviously, it's extremely short sighted, but that's the way the industry works. The next fuel price spike will spell serious :nuke: for many players in the industry. Whenever that happens, tho...remains to be seen.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Not exactly, you as a customer can't even go in and check out a model 3. There are NONE in the showroom/todemo because they are that short on supply.

They should be fine for the next 6-12 months with the backlog pending their actual production output. But obviously all the orders are very heavily front loaded.

However later on in the game they can start selling the cheaper models/4wd models and offer lease specials. At this point none of that is available and they are blasting through 3500 model 3s a week that cost 60-65k on average. Which is :impressive: AF

2 years down the line though... it will get interesting... once they saturate their demand... the crazy part is... i think at that point they'll be launching yet another product to get into another market... dat... Apple launch strategy :disgust:

Who knows, though... i am SHOCKED literally SHOCKED. No OEM produced a comparable vehicle outside of the Bolt which is ugly AF. They have had the time and resources to do so...
If they have hundreds of thousands of sold orders, people willing to buy the car sight unseen, why forego the profit of those sold orders to add demo units to the showroom? It makes absolutely no sense unless they're trying to drum up more orders. Weren't you the one saying you could waltz into a store, order a car (the :waxer: spec) and have it in a few months?

It takes 5 years minimum to develop a new platform. Model S has been out for how long now? Gas will be free forever. :waxer: highly profitable :truk: s will rule the road forever. Why invest in vehicles that you MIGHT be able to break-even selling, if you're lucky?

No OEM has invested in EV tech the way Tesla (and to an extent GM) has. I have a buddy that works at a major battery supplier, and he said that most of the industry has passed on investing in a seriously viable EV platform. And why would they invest?

Obviously, it's extremely short sighted, but that's the way the industry works. The next fuel price spike will spell serious :nuke: for many players in the industry. Whenever that happens, tho...remains to be seen.
Yes you can waltz into a store and buy a 55k+ model 3 right now and get it in a few months. The "pre orders" are just hype. I am willing to bet 50% of those are thinking it'll be 35k and get sticker shock and :nope: out... they are still hanging on because Musk said it'll be here "eventually".

The demand is super strong on these for now, as we can all tell since there are no deals, no cars in the showroom, and an obvious backlog.

Model S has been out for 6 years, I think that has been enough time to develop something. I am aware of the development cycles. I think no one is investing in EV tech because Tesla is literally :wasteful: at the situation... they just flew in 10 planes of factory equipment, no one else fucking does this. And OEMs are too worried about balance sheets and "investors" tesla is held to a different standard, because they never have cared and likely never will.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Yes you can waltz into a store and buy a 55k+ model 3 right now and get it in a few months. The "pre orders" are just hype. I am willing to bet 50% of those are thinking it'll be 35k and get sticker shock and :nope: out... they are still hanging on because Musk said it'll be here "eventually".

The demand is super strong on these for now, as we can all tell since there are no deals, no cars in the showroom, and an obvious backlog.

Model S has been out for 6 years, I think that has been enough time to develop something. I am aware of the development cycles. I think no one is investing in EV tech because Tesla is literally :wasteful: at the situation... they just flew in 10 planes of factory equipment, no one else fucking does this. And OEMs are too worried about balance sheets and "investors" tesla is held to a different standard, because they never have cared and likely never will.
There has got to be a point where the buck stops, though. How can someone claim to be an "investor" if investing in a company that's habitually :wasteful: and has no prospects of making a profit? The gravy train can't last forever.

I admire what the company has accomplished and what it continues to push for. The advancements in EV and tech that Tesla has forced has been great for the industry. If it can prove demand, that also helps the EV case a whole for the industry.

As much as I'm surprised to say this, I love EV lyfe. It's such a great, relaxing way to deal with shitty commutes. I'd like to see the industry shift toward EV to help boost investment in infrastructure to make owning an EV more viable everywhere. I'll very likely end up buying our next gen EV vehicle that's on the way.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

VW :doe: All their brands are rocking high end EV tech.
max225

dubshow wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Yea I think a few months ago they blew 1/2 of teslas market cap on EV "Tech"
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:22 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:17 pm

We'll see where that lands, and how much ends up coming here. Development cycles are long in the auto industry, they won't have an all-next EV platform for years, if ever.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:24 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:22 pm

We'll see where that lands, and how much ends up coming here. Development cycles are long in the auto industry, they won't have an all-next EV platform for years, if ever.
Not expecting anything until 2022, and I think that's what they stated in their "roadmap" also.

That gives tesla so much TIME to work on other things. wild... I do wonder if they will manage to stay afloat. I am curious to see what will happen with the :derp: masses in teslas
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:47 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:43 pm

Realistically the AZ system is good in a way - the fact that it's not tied to actual value means that there are good cars you can buy which won't cost a fortune in taxes. They'll just all be 10+ years old. A $100k real world value today 993 would be like $25/yr in tax because the formula doesn't care about market values.
Personally I think someone with a 40m Bugatti should pay more than someone with a 15k Toyota Corolla ...but dem rich getting richer
THIS. Other than a nifty loophole to own fancy cars for minimal cost, and who doesn't like a free lunch, buying $125K cars is a luxury, I don't have a problem taxing cars over a certain "basic allowance" for reliable newish transport, say $30K?

Arizona has some fantastic highways FWIW, the road surfaces change instantly for the better when you leave CA and head into AZ, same with NV.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:27 pm Or a Supra if they ever release the damn thing.
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/06/new-t ... ms-source/

New Toyota Supra Will Cost $63,500 In The U.S., Claims Source
Last edited by Davestr on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:24 pm
Not expecting anything until 2022, and I think that's what they stated in their "roadmap" also.

That gives tesla so much TIME to work on other things. wild... I do wonder if they will manage to stay afloat. I am curious to see what will happen with the :derp: masses in teslas
:dat:

It'll be the make it or break it for the company.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:27 pm
Personally I think someone with a 40m Bugatti should pay more than someone with a 15k Toyota Corolla ...but dem rich getting richer
THIS. Other than a nifty loophole to own fancy cars for minimal cost, and who doesn't like a free lunch, buying $125K cars is a luxury, I don't have a problem taxing cars over a certain "basic allowance" for reliable newish transport, say $30K?

Arizona has some fantastic highways FWIW, the road surfaces change instantly for the better when you leave CA and head into AZ, same with NV.
It helps when you have
1. No people
2. No weather
KiaGiver
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 2017 Subaru STi / Vapemachine

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:33 pm

It helps when you have
1. No people
2. No weather
What do you mean no weather? lol I have 4 seasons where I live, breh.
I like rumbles, vape juice and mudflaps :gay:

Need Modz? Hit me up!
max225

KiaGiver wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:35 pm

It helps when you have
1. No people
2. No weather
Mountains don't count... :lol:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

It helps when you have
1. No people
2. No weather
For sure.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:29 pm This asshole needs to be relieved of his Beetle.

This is how you should be doing it:

I'll take custody of it for them.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Fantastic as in smooth? I haven't looked very much yet but it seems like a lot of straight, flat roads since there aren't many cities or anything to go around.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Fantastic as in smooth? I haven't looked very much yet but it seems like a lot of straight, flat roads since there aren't many cities or anything to go around.
Insanely smooth and nice. I miss them a lot.

There are curvy roads in the mountains to the north of Phoenix that are pretty fun and in quite nice shape as well.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Yes, smooth. Yes, flat and straight. Flagstaff to Sedona :doe:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So is this Phoenix thing a real possibility? I have come to appreciate the desert but the first couple of summers are, um, challenging for the newbie.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:36 pm
KiaGiver wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Hotels don't count... :lol:
:dat:
max225

I think it should be illegal for humans to live in a place that cannot sustain non assisted life. I.E places where you die within 30 min of being outside.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:56 pm

So is this Phoenix thing a real possibility? I have come to appreciate the desert but the first couple of summers are, um, challenging for the newbie.
I don't want to go there, but it's one of the only opportunities for advancement right now - assuming she even gets an offer. Charlotte so far is 0/2 and waiting to hear back from the 3rd interview. Assuming failure in Charlotte, the next best option is Glendale, followed by shitty Corning, NY.

I think I'd rather have dry heat and civilization than go back to the middle of nowhere in Rustville, USA. :iono:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:04 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:56 pm

I don't want to go there, but it's one of the only opportunities for advancement right now - assuming she even gets an offer. Charlotte so far is 0/2 and waiting to hear back from the 3rd interview. Assuming failure in Charlotte, the next best option is Glendale, followed by shitty Corning, NY.

I think I'd rather have dry heat and civilization than go back to the middle of nowhere in Rustville, USA. :iono:
I agree with that hierarchy. Plus it's not just Arizona you're moving to. You're moving to the West. Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, California. All amazing places to explore. You don't seem to have any issues driving countless hours and it's all wide open spaces compared to the East.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:56 pm So is this Phoenix thing a real possibility? I have come to appreciate the desert but the first couple of summers are, um, challenging for the newbie.

Arizona is fantastic, one of my favorite states. I like the heat, there are tons of beautiful places to explore and fun roads just as close to Phoenix, probably closer, as Charlotte.
troyguitar

I'm generally fine with either, but less excited about Phoenix in part because it'll mean flying back to Detroit and Boston for family crap at a cost of thousands of dollars each year vs driving from KY/NC/NY. The city itself has pretty much everything I want: affordable houses with garages on tiny lots, a sports car track with autox pad, a real non-rental kart track, and multiple ice arenas with adult hockey leagues.

Staying inside for 3-4 months per year is how I grew up, so having that be during the summer instead of winter isn't that bad.