Learn me 'bout tools

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Im a relatively young guy. And I have always had friends close by with tools. So here I am nearing 25 and I only own like a 25 piece tool set.

Without breaking the bank what would the suggestion of the forum be to build my arsenal.

I know that Harbor Freight tools arent the highest quality. BUT I have used many of them quite extensively. As things break or the budget permits I can upgrade some things. Here is what my plan moving forward is. Let me know what yall think. What should I add or cut?

Goal:
Husky or US General Toolbox(Thinking husky) ($798)
Craftsman 450 Piece Tool Set (already own)
Gear Wrench Tap and Die Set ($100)
Kobalt Plier Set (already own)
Craftsman Screwdriver set (already own)
Milwaukee M12 cordless ratchet (already own)
Kobalt 20v Impact/ drill set ($200)
HF Impact sockets ($30)
HF 5in Vise ($70)
BFH ($15)
HF wire crimpers/snips ($5)
HF socket extension set ($15)
Pittsburgh(HF) aluminium racing 2.5 ton low pro car jack ($130)
4 craftsman jackstands (already own)
Kobalt Torque Wrench ($65)
HF creeper/seat, funnels, shelving ($70)

Total: $1,857

Things im not sure on:
Swivel Sockets(brand?)
Air Compressor (size and brand?)

What else should I be looking at?
Last edited by Barnes93cb on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Hammer.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

razr390 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:25 amHammer.
I already have BFH.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

I would pick one power tool brand and stick with it. Having different platforms and chargers gets messy. Also, the batteries are the expensive part, sticking to one brand cuts down the number you have to buy. Milwaukee would be my recommendation for the number of tools they offer and they are investing in their tool lineup to offer even nore. Their M12 platform is great. Their chargers do both M12 and m18.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

You'll probably need two torque wrenches; a 3/8" driver for the smallish M5-M8 bolts, and a larger 1/2" driver for wheel lugs etc. A multimeter?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Honestly, start by buying a nice Craftsman toolset with at least:

1/4 drive socket wrench
3/8 drive socket wrench
1/2 drive socket wrench

Those requirements will also come with all the sockets you'll need. They usually come in a nice carrying box so you don't need a separate toolbox. 95% of your work can be accomplished with this, and you'll keep it forever. I bought a Craftsman toolset 15 years ago, still have all the parts, none have failed, and I use it constantly.

Start with this as your basis and then buy tools as you need from there. Something like this would be fantastic:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-270pc-me ... ockType=G8

Father's day is coming up, Sears usually runs :mindblown: deals on Craftsman toolsets.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:34 am Honestly, start by buying a nice Craftsman toolset with at least:

1/4 drive socket wrench
3/8 drive socket wrench
1/2 drive socket wrench

Those requirements will also come with all the sockets you'll need. They usually come in a nice carrying box so you don't need a separate toolbox. 95% of your work can be accomplished with this, and you'll keep it forever. I bought a Craftsman toolset 15 years ago, still have all the parts, none have failed, and I use it constantly.

Start with this as your basis and then buy tools as you need from there. Something like this would be fantastic:

Father's day is coming up, Sears usually runs :mindblown: deals on Craftsman toolsets.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

I got lucky and grabbed some Matco ratchets and sockets when my buddy was in school and got a killer :dill: on them. I love having quality ratchets.

I have HF stuff for tools that are not frequently used too.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I really like my open ended wrenches with the ratchet style box end for hard to reach places that a socket can't get into.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 am
Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:34 am Honestly, start by buying a nice Craftsman toolset with at least:

1/4 drive socket wrench
3/8 drive socket wrench
1/2 drive socket wrench

I got lucky and grabbed some Matco ratchets and sockets when my buddy was in school and got a killer :dill: on them. I love having quality ratchets.

Wow, Matco eh? :waxer:

Seriously, a quality set of hand tools goes a LONG way. For how frequently they're used, I would not go cheap HF on them. HF works great for stuff used infrequently, or that wears out quickly like screwdrivers.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 am I really like my open ended wrenches with the ratchet style box end for hard to reach places that a socket can't get into.
I do too...but honestly I don't own a set. It would be handy to have, but I've done all my ridiculousness with good old fashioned open-ended wrenches.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:34 pm

Husky or US General Toolbox(Thinking husky) ($798) wait for this till you get some wrenching under your belt.
Harbor Freight 301 piece Tool Set ($199) no, just no, see below
Gear Wrench Tap and Die Set ($100) i'd hold off on this till you NEEEEED it
Kobalt Plier Set (already own)
Craftsman Screwdriver set (already own) consider another at some point
Milwaukee M12 cordless ratchet ($160) hold off for now, i rarely use mine
Kobalt 20v Impact/ drill set ($200) I honestly have no imput on these things
HF Impact sockets ($30) yes
HF 5in Vise ($70) no, just no
BFH ($15) not from HF
HF wire crimpers/snips ($5) not from HF
HF socket extension set ($15) not from HF
Pittsburgh(HF) aluminium racing 2.5 ton low pro car jack ($130) sure never wook under this
4 craftsman jackstands (already own)
Kobalt Torque Wrench ($65) not hoes
HF creeper/seat, funnels, shelving ($70) yes on seat, you should be able to fit all this in one tool box & the below mechanics set.

Total: $1,857 doing it my way you might be out less than 700

Things im not sure on:
Swivel Sockets(brand?) no, i still down own this
Air Compressor (size and brand?) not yet needed

What else should I be looking at?

im going to save you some money for starting off..... I worked out of this for YEARS and slowly built up more over time. This shit will make you able to do 99% of any jobs. see notes above in red.

general:
skip the box for now. don't buy HF hand tools you expect to use more than twice.

get this. its also your one of your tool boxes. For your other box just pick something to fit the rest
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-450-piec ... Twodem8M4A

^ its actually a great price right now @ 200 I'd buy it now if possible.

Other stuff to suppliment, all the craftsman with full warranty:
Metric hex bit socekt set in 3/8 drive
long 1/4 extension
vice grips
long (~12" ) 3/8 extension, with wobbler end is my preference.
18mm combo wrench
19mm combo wrench
Medium Heel bar
Deadblow hammer
regular 5lb hammer

Stuff i'll allow you to get from HF:
1/2 drive impact socket set to get you metric sizes in half inch as high as you can (18mm and up)
vice grips
o2 sensor socket
1/2 drive click torque wrench. Get the 1/4 too the first time you need it. I rarely use my 3/8 one.

Buy a GEARWRENCH BRAND metric set of gear wrenches.... and buy a 10mm & 12mm swivel head ones to supplement that set. they are both the strongest and have the lowest profile ratcheting head on the market. Lowes runs sales from time to time.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 am I really like my open ended wrenches with the ratchet style box end for hard to reach places that a socket can't get into.
I do too...but honestly I don't own a set. It would be handy to have, but I've done all my ridiculousness with good old fashioned open-ended wrenches.
It's totally unnecessary, but a set on sale could cost a little more then a basic set without the ratchet end for similar dollhairs.

I totally agree with you that :troywax: on an entire tool set isn't going to be better then buying what is needed at the time work is being done.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

If you're going the Craftsman route, I'd recommend getting the 75 tooth ratchets that are included in this set, but I'm sure they're in others too.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-155-piec ... ckType=G15#

Much nicer to use IMO, especially in tight places.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tarspin wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:56 am
Detroit wrote: I do too...but honestly I don't own a set. It would be handy to have, but I've done all my ridiculousness with good old fashioned open-ended wrenches.
It's totally unnecessary, but a set on sale could cost a little more then a basic set without the ratchet end for similar dollhairs.

I totally agree with you that :troywax: on an entire tool set isn't going to be better then buying what is needed at the time work is being done.
I'll disagree here, man those ratcheting end wrenches are a game changer. Worth every penny.

I take tool advice from pops who is a profession mechanic..... when he green lit the gear end wrenches i went and bought a set.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:07 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:56 am It's totally unnecessary, but a set on sale could cost a little more then a basic set without the ratchet end for similar dollhairs.

I'll disagree here, man those ratcheting end wrenches are a game changer. Worth every penny.

I take tool advice from pops who is a profession mechanic..... when he green lit the gear end wrenches i went and bought a set.
I'm sure they're nice to have and add at some point, but I've rebuilt entire cars without them. I wouldn't make them priority in the first buy.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:13 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:07 am

I'm sure they're nice to have and add at some point, but I've rebuilt entire cars without them. I wouldn't make them priority in the first buy.
I get that angle and so have I. My point is that these days its not worth it cost wise to buy the regular set & have the combo ones that come with the mechanics kit & later buy gearwrenchs.... just have the mechanics set ones and buy the set of gear wrenches when starting from scratch.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:49 am
Apex wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 am

Wow, Matco eh? :waxer:

Seriously, a quality set of hand tools goes a LONG way. For how frequently they're used, I would not go cheap HF on them. HF works great for stuff used infrequently, or that wears out quickly like screwdrivers.
Yeah, their student purchasing program is :mindblown: good.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 am
Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:13 am
I get that angle and so have I. My point is that these days its not worth it cost wise to buy the regular set & have the combo ones that come with the mechanics kit & later buy gearwrenchs.... just have the mechanics set ones and buy the set of gear wrenches when starting from scratch.
Ohhhh, that makes sense.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

Tool kits kinda suck in my opinion for a couple reasons. They come in their blow molded cases and with cutout labeled areas where each piece goes, which isn’t bad, it just limits your ability to organize and grow your equipment . Also it has a an assortment of sockets from 8mm to 21mm but it typically won’t have a 9mm, 16mm, 18mm, they skip many sizes.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

1/4 drive socket wrench
3/8 drive socket wrench
1/2 drive socket wrench

This is an amazing deal. This would actually be a great buy for a "spare" mobile tool kit to take on road trips/camping/ yadda yadda.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

1/4 drive socket wrench
3/8 drive socket wrench
1/2 drive socket wrench

I bought a set like this, sans toolbox, for like $100 on Black Friday years back. If you can wait until then, they always do some crazy deals at Sears.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:12 pm

1/4 drive socket wrench
3/8 drive socket wrench
1/2 drive socket wrench

This is an amazing deal. This would actually be a great buy for a "spare" mobile tool kit to take on road trips/camping/ yadda yadda.
I’m considering it for wheeling, actually.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:23 pm

You've got a cool group of ZR2/Colorado owners to wheel with near you. :jelly:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:06 am I would pick one power tool brand and stick with it. Having different platforms and chargers gets messy. Also, the batteries are the expensive part, sticking to one brand cuts down the number you have to buy. Milwaukee would be my recommendation for the number of tools they offer and they are investing in their tool lineup to offer even nore. Their M12 platform is great. Their chargers do both M12 and m18.
I like my M12 power tools. Work great.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:23 pm

$150 is free for that, Faxbro's $200 set may be even better.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.