Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote:Speaking of end results, here's how our DIY Pinshit renno turned out...

:millennial:
Looks great! I'd love to utilize wood like that somewhere in the house. Maybe revamp the fireplace or strategically place shelving somewhere thst showcases them.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:19 pm Speaking of end results, here's how our DIY Pinshit renno turned out...

5/7 look.

Sorry, still believe 1/7 practicality.

You did top notch work, though. :like:

Are those shelves just sitting on the pipes or are they attached to them somehow?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:37 pm
Detroit wrote:Speaking of end results, here's how our DIY Pinshit renno turned out...

Looks great! I'd love to utilize wood like that somewhere in the house. Maybe revamp the fireplace or strategically place shelving somewhere thst showcases them.
Using them as shelving around a fireplace would be a great idea.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote:
Detroit wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:19 pm Speaking of end results, here's how our DIY Pinshit renno turned out...

5/7 look.

Are those shelves just sitting on the pipes or are they attached to them somehow?
:tits: :wubs: :pin- :poop: :doe:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:26 pm
wap wrote:
5/7 look.

:tits: :wubs: :pin- :poop: :doe:
Oh yea, he'd never have done it without :tits: wanting it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:26 pm :tits: :wubs: :pin- :poop: :doe:
He never had his kitchen.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:59 pm
wap wrote:
He never had his kitchen.
I had ZERO say in this kitchen. I just did the work and gave some suggestions (that were ignored) on colors and layout.

TBH, the open shelving isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Dishes stay surprisingly clean, it's really easy to find what you're looking for (I can't remember where anything is my kitchen, I open and close cabinets at least 3 or 4 times looking for what I need), and overall looks decent.

Wap, to your earlier question, the shelves aren't actually attached to the pipes. I bought straps to do so but they ended up being unnecessary. First, they're so heavy that they won't go anywhere, and second when I screwed the end caps on, I did so with the shelves in place. Doing that tightened the caps into the shelves and snugged them into place. They can still move if you try, but they don't on their own easily.

All that said, I really don't care for the "rustic" :gag: look. :tits: would live in a damned tree if she could, but this is just a bit far for me. I prefer things that better fit the character of the house, but whatever. if I was 100% calling the shots, I would have reused our upper cabinets, but cut them down to accommodate the wider vent hood (which is really a 5/7 call), and had doors made with glass in the middle to give a see-through look. Painted the walls a more neutral gray and used a muted green/green subway tile with a fun pattern for the backsplash with a grout color close to matching the walls.

At least the functionality is solid.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:16 am
Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:59 pm He never had his kitchen.
I had ZERO say in this kitchen. I just did the work and gave some suggestions (that were ignored) on colors and layout.

TBH, the open shelving isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Dishes stay surprisingly clean, it's really easy to find what you're looking for (I can't remember where anything is my kitchen, I open and close cabinets at least 3 or 4 times looking for what I need), and overall looks decent.

Wap, to your earlier question, the shelves aren't actually attached to the pipes. I bought straps to do so but they ended up being unnecessary. First, they're so heavy that they won't go anywhere, and second when I screwed the end caps on, I did so with the shelves in place. Doing that tightened the caps into the shelves and snugged them into place. They can still move if you try, but they don't on their own easily.

All that said, I really don't care for the "rustic" :gag: look. :tits: would live in a damned tree if she could, but this is just a bit far for me. I prefer things that better fit the character of the house, but whatever. if I was 100% calling the shots, I would have reused our upper cabinets, but cut them down to accommodate the wider vent hood (which is really a 5/7 call), and had doors made with glass in the middle to give a see-through look. Painted the walls a more neutral gray and used a muted green/green subway tile with a fun pattern for the backsplash with a grout color close to matching the walls.

yea.....those colors are a terrible combination, sorry bro :gag: . The gray backsplash is good and a light green wall paint would look stellar with it. The reverse would also be true as you suggest, but green tile might get dated quickly.

This is real design (as opposed to pinshit) 101: light colors open up spaces. So in a smallish kitchen with 8' ceilings you should NOT go with dark on dark on dark on dark.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:47 am

yea.....those colors are a terrible combination, sorry bro :gag: . The gray backsplash is good and a light green wall paint would look stellar with it. The reverse would also be true as you suggest, but green tile might get dated quickly.

This is real design (as opposed to pinshit) 101: light colors open up spaces. So in a smallish kitchen with 8' ceilings you should NOT go with dark on dark on dark on dark.
I know.... :rolleyes:

It's actually not THAT bad in person, but whatever. Again, I had ZERO say.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Oh, interesting. Makes sense. :notbad:

Give it some time. Shit will get greasy eventually.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:08 pm

Oh, interesting. Makes sense. :notbad:

Give it some time. Shit will get greasy eventually.
None of the plates and whatnot do, but we go through them too fast I think. Choosing a vent hood larger than the range was also a 5/7 decision. It's amazing how much that thing sucks up, and we've already cleaned the filters in the hood. I think that's where most of the stuff goes.
wap

Yea going wider on the hood vwas undoubtedly a good move.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:30 pm Yea going wider on the hood vwas undoubtedly a good move.
I"m actually surprised that it's not a more standard practice.

Our highest power burners are on the outside corners of the range. Those create the most smoke, but have the least amount of coverage by the hood. By making the hood slightly bigger, it catches the smoke from those better. I watch the smoke come up and get caught by the edge...if it was the same size, the smoke would bypass it entirely.

The vent hood is by far the best thing we did in the kitchen. It does such a great job over that POS microwave.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:37 pm
wap wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:30 pm Yea going wider on the hood vwas undoubtedly a good move.
I"m actually surprised that it's not a more standard practice.

Our highest power burners are on the outside corners of the range. Those create the most smoke, but have the least amount of coverage by the hood. By making the hood slightly bigger, it catches the smoke from those better. I watch the smoke come up and get caught by the edge...if it was the same size, the smoke would bypass it entirely.

The vent hood is by far the best thing we did in the kitchen. It does such a great job over that POS microwave.
Those microwave vent hoods are generally pretty worthless, especially when they vent back into the room. A modern, high powered hood (mine has 4, count 'em FOUR fans) does an :amaze: job at creating dat suck.
ChrisoftheNorth

Mine actually only has one fan with 3 settings, but the thing is a beast. External venting was the game changer, doe.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:06 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 am I like that kitchen but the color choice isn't my favorite.
The part that bugs me the most is the black plates on the white outlets. I would probably replace the receptacles with black ones.
Goddam fellas, you're working him over like fucking Martha Stewart. :gaydance:

It looks just fine Chris.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:16 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:01 pm

This is DFD, where you're always :wrong: unless you're :wrong: and even then you're still :wrong:
:dat:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:20 pm
He owed :tits: a 10 second kitchen.
:roasted: :roasted: :roasted:
:roasted: :angrypanda: :roasted:
:roasted: :roasted: :roasted:
ChrisoftheNorth

The part that bugs me the most is the black plates on the white outlets. I would probably replace the receptacles with black ones.

Eh, whatever. I'm not in love with it either. I just did what I was told. :tits: is happy and that's all that matters.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:26 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:16 pm

This is DFD, where you're always :wrong: unless you're :wrong: and even then you're still :wrong:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

wifes takes on pinshit project while husband is away: neighbor finishes. Also painting is hard. :rolleyes:
brain go brrrrrr
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

You need a hanging pot rack with a set of copper or copper bottom pota over that island.

Set it off
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:wrong:

Just tryna give some constructive criticism
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:59 am

You need a hanging pot rack with a set of copper or copper bottom pota over that island.

Set it off
Believe it or not, I suggested it. I had to patch the ceiling there (the plaster was falling down from a bad patch job before) and figured I wouldn't have to put as much effort into patching it if I was hanging a big thing there.

She said it would be "too cluttered".

Like everything else isn't?!?

:wtf: :tits: :roasted:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:11 am

wifes takes on pinshit project while husband is away: neighbor finishes. Also painting is hard. :rolleyes:
Where did he finish?

:hubba: