Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

FI on a stock NA bottom end just seems like asking for trouble. Just buy the faster car to begin with.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:07 am
Johnny_P wrote:I want an RX7 twin turbo
I have looked into turbro'ing the RX8 or a base Cayman. Ballpark $10k to get LS power, would be kind of neat but also completely :fullretard:
A boosted RX8 would be fan fucking tastic. 350 or more WHP would be a goddamn riot in that car.

But

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:59 am FI on a stock NA bottom end just seems like asking for trouble. Just buy the faster car to begin with.
:sass:

:member: when you liked tuning cars? I :member:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/20336/elio ... tocurrency

Cliffs: Elio is starting a crypto with overstock to hopefully fund production. They say it will be subject to more oversight.

At this point I'm not even sure I want to call the Elio vaporware, it might pull a Duke Nukem and actually get made at some point. 15 years later.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:45 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:59 am FI on a stock NA bottom end just seems like asking for trouble. Just buy the faster car to begin with.
:sass:

:member: when you liked tuning cars? I :member:
:member: that I have a heavily modified and t00ned :poorvette: that I love and continue to mess with? I just like driving it more than wrenching on it so my mods are very well planned.

Still not sold on FI on NA engines :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

In fact, does anyone have a more modded car than mine on DFD? Not a single part of my car hasn’t been touched.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:34 am In fact, does anyone have a more modded car than mine on DFD? Not a single part of my car hasn’t been touched.
:triggered: :triggered: :triggered:
:triggered: :mahtroy: :triggered:

power is just mass flow rate, does not matter how you arrive there. More mass flow rate will place additional stress on things.

The thing with FI on engines not nessissilairy designed for FI is that's its very easy to go overboard.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:47 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:34 am In fact, does anyone have a more modded car than mine on DFD? Not a single part of my car hasn’t been touched.
:triggered: :mahtroy: :triggered:

power is just mass flow rate, does not matter how you arrive there. More mass flow rate will place additional stress on things.

The thing with FI on engines not nessissilairy designed for FI is that's its very easy to go overboard.
Yea, it’s that last part that I’m getting at.

And I know that my bottom end is more stressed, but I’m not at power levels that will make it :nuke: most likely. With FI, I could be at 1-200whp more than I’m at now. Talk about stress on things. Also, worthless because traction would be non-existent.
ChrisoftheNorth

Now, building a 5.3 for boost and putting it in something fun? I can get behind that.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:56 am Now, building a 5.3 for boost and putting it in something fun? I can get behind that.
empirical evidence suggests its good for about 1000 HP with regapped rings, metal HG, and ARP studs as the only mods.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-110 ... ng-theory/

Oh wait thats a 4.8.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
:lolol: :trollface: :lolol:
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:06 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:56 am Now, building a 5.3 for boost and putting it in something fun? I can get behind that.
empirical evidence suggests its good for about 1000 HP with regapped rings, metal HG, and ARP studs as the only mods.

Oh wait thats a 4.8.

i'll take "Shit teh :fax: " will never do for 1000, alex.
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh wait thats a 4.8.

Those mods are pretty critical, doe...which goes back to my point of being :notsure: with just strapping a turbro or supercharger to a 100% stock NA engine.

That would be a fun setup, doe...and reasonably cost effective without weighing a ton.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:48 am

Oh wait thats a 4.8.

Those mods are pretty critical, doe...which goes back to my point of being :notsure: with just strapping a turbro or supercharger to a 100% stock NA engine.

That would be a fun setup, doe...and reasonably cost effective without weighing a ton.
for those power levels agreed, but i'd thug 600hp on a 4.8 stock long/iron block all day ZFG.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:36 am

Oh wait thats a 4.8.

and that makes the information less useful how?
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:54 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:36 am

and that makes the information less useful how?
just arm chair shit
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:53 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:48 am

for those power levels agreed, but i'd thug 600hp on a 4.8 stock long/iron block all day ZFG.
The 4.8's have proven to be very stout indeed.

600hp would be a bit concerning for me, :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

It is nice to talk about HP rather than "momentum" for a change, :doe: .
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:09 am It is nice to talk about HP rather than "momentum" for a change, :doe: .
:burnout:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:16 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:09 am It is nice to talk about HP rather than "momentum" for a change, :doe: .
:ohdang: When did :burnout: happen?

:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:
:burnout: :fuckyeah: :burnout:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:22 am
Apex wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:16 am

Couple weeks ago? Zilhuge did some 'moji adding and tossed that little gem in there.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:31 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:22 am

Just snuck it in there while you weren't looking. ;)
:wub:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:FI on a stock NA bottom end just seems like asking for trouble. Just buy the faster car to begin with.
What bottom end? The Renesis just spins!

Obviously the keys are to use good parts and tune it conservatively. Without a :fullretard: engine+trans build and clutch, the limits are indeed "low" - like 250-300 whp in an RX8 for example and without a massive amount of low end torque like current OEM turbo cars have. Beats the hell out of the stock ~170 :doe:

There's a cool kit which keeps the turbro down low and central in the chassis so you can keep the weight balance closer to stock. Can't see it when you pop the hood at Hooters though, so maybe it sucks.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:41 am
:wub:
You should review the moji selection, there are a few new ones.

:pftch: :bandb: :ellis: :howdareu: :meatspin:
:ohdang:

:ellis: :howdareu: :impressive:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:00 pm
Detroit wrote:FI on a stock NA bottom end just seems like asking for trouble. Just buy the faster car to begin with.
What bottom end? The Renesis just spins!

Obviously the keys are to use good parts and tune it conservatively. Without a :fullretard: engine+trans build and clutch, the limits are indeed "low" - like 250-300 whp in an RX8 for example and without a massive amount of low end torque like current OEM turbo cars have. Beats the hell out of the stock ~170 :doe:

There's a cool kit which keeps the turbro down low and central in the chassis so you can keep the weight balance closer to stock. Can't see it when you pop the hood at Hooters though, so maybe it sucks.
I honestly know nothing about rotary engines, but it seems like depending on the power, you could run into issues with accelerated apex seal wear and maybe rotor durability (if that's a thing)?

But 250-300 whp isn't crazy. Would probably be 5/7.
ChrisoftheNorth

The DFDmoji library is truly epic.